110 replies to this topic

#1 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,369 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:30 PM

It seems most people think we won't do well this season. Barring health I really don't see a team worse than last year. I feel overall we have upgraded. We lost some names but gained some Ballers.  Ballers playing with something personal on the line and a chip on their shoulders. Barring injury I think we got younger and better. MWP Jamison Duhan and Ebanks were all washed up. I think Johnson, Farmar and Young are tremendous upgrades. We lost that guy #12 and we lost 23 14 and 3. We gained 16 8 and 2 with Kaman (when healthy) Pau will be better 20 and 10, Nash will be better and Jordan Hill will be better and as weird as MDA is, he has defensive help on his staff now and a full training camp. Help me understand how we suck, we're going to miss the playoffs, we're tanking and all that BS. I personally think this is a .500+ team without Kobe. God help other teams if he takes his time and comes back healthy

Edited by lakersince75, August 08, 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#2 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,460 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Not really negative...its just we are the Lakers. Its championship or bust.

#3 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,448 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:01 PM

The days of Gasol getting 20 and 10 are long gone. I'm getting tired of all his "I was frustrated, I felt out of position, blah blah" bull[expletive].  Kaman won't get enough minutes to put up 16 and 8 and to be honest I doubt he would  given the chance. Johnson is a bust and Young is an inefficient shot jacker. I don't see how a 40 year old Nash will be any better. D'Antoni's so called "defensive help" led his team to the worst defense in the league with capable defenders on his team. Farmar and Jordan Hill show potential I will give you that. With the upgrades made with other teams in the West and other teams getting healthier, a playoff berth doesn't look imminent. And even if we made it,getting swept in the 1st round doesn't sound so great to me. 

#4 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,348 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Everyone sees things differently. Sure, often times some are more optimistic than others. Ultimately this forum is to present everyone's views in order to reach a justifiable conclusion. 

With this Lakers team, there are " a lot of ifs," like Rambis stated. I just don't think this team can deal with the faster, more athletic players around the league. Unless everyone starts playing defense and producing efficiently. But we'll just have to wait and see. Surprises happen, right? ^^

#5 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,552 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:28 PM

We replaced Dwight Howard, the best center in the league (despite his limited offensive game) with Chris Kaman. We lost Metta and Earl Clark and replaced them with Wesley Johnson. Nash is old and hurt. Pau is old and hurt. Kobe is old and hurt.

It's pretty obvious why people think we will suck. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the additions we've made. Younger, more athletic, and for cheap none the less. But still not good enough. Our key contributors are old and injury prone. I think our defense will be atrocious, and our offense will be streaky.

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,083 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:31 PM

1. Mike D'Antoni is still the head coach
2. Pau Gasol is still on the roster
3. Dwight Howard is no longer on the roster
4. Jordan Farmar sucks
5. Adding Wes, Nick, and Chris is canceled out cause of number 1.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Anyone else find it funny how last year around the same time everyone was like, "Championships!!!! Dynasty!!!!!!" Now, everyone is like, "Rebuild, trade all our players and get as many draft picks as possible, tank....?"

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#8 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:38 PM

1. Mike D'Antoni is still the head coach
2. Pau Gasol is still on the roster
3. Dwight Howard is no longer on the roster
4. Jordan Farmar sucks
5. Adding Wes, Nick, and Chris is canceled out cause of number 1.

Deal with it, Pau gonna retire a Laker  :laughing:  :laughing:

Anyways, as a fan I gotta support whatever's out there. As a laker fan, I'm not gonna hope the Laker's lose or hope they try to lose for a draft pick. That's completely out of the question. As a laker fan, we're gonna keep the expectations high as possible. Don't call me optimistic, I'm not. I know this team ain't gonna do scrap in the playoffs.  But given the organization, we gotta try. As fans, it's good to be optimistic.

The lakers will come back from this. Some of you don't believe that, which is pretty sad. 

Edited by Ham, August 08, 2013 - 07:39 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#9 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,190 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Call ot what you will. Some folks are butt hurt due to the changes, some can't get use to the changes, fans are spoiled( rightfully so) and it's the Lakers. They have dominated this century with rings. I for one can't wait to ser how the season plays out. The added youth, a full training camp, Rambis, and hopefully a healthier, yet older Nash. I've said it and I will say it again, as long as they compete and look more like a team than last season, I will be happy.
Posted Image

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:12 PM

I agree. The negativity on the Lakers really has been out of proportion and I think you’re right on the money with the changes to our roster.

That being said, the west is TOUGH! OKC, SA, LAC, GS, Mempis and Houston are locks to make the playoffs, barring any significant injury. So we’re battling Denver, Portland, Dallas and Minnesota for those last two spots – hell, the [expletive]ing Pelicans have a pretty solid squad as well this year. It will be tough.

I think we’ll see one of two things; we either stink early on or we don’t. Plain and simple! If we stink, I think we’ll see guys like Pau and Nash get traded and we’ll see the Lakers trying to position themselves for the draft and free agency. If we play well, I think we’ll perhaps address a few needs at the trade deadline and then try to make a push.

#11 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:02 AM

It's because it's easier to have lower expectations and be surprised than to be hyped and let down. 

#12 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,369 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 09, 2013 - 02:16 AM

IMO Golden State won't sneak up on anyone anymore. Memphis lost it's coach, which one of the main reasons they were successful. SA is older and lost players. Houston got that guy #12 but lost players and Lin isn't as good as people make him out to be. OKC (Westbrook?) We actually got better. As far as the guy up there who doesn't believe Pau will be 20 and 10, just watch what a healthy Pau in his natural position will do. The only thing that will keep Pau down will be health or MDA not playing inside / out

I agree. The negativity on the Lakers really has been out of proportion and I think you’re right on the money with the changes to our roster.

That being said, the west is TOUGH! OKC, SA, LAC, GS, Mempis and Houston are locks to make the playoffs, barring any significant injury. So we’re battling Denver, Portland, Dallas and Minnesota for those last two spots – hell, the [expletive]ing Pelicans have a pretty solid squad as well this year. It will be tough.

I think we’ll see one of two things; we either stink early on or we don’t. Plain and simple! If we stink, I think we’ll see guys like Pau and Nash get traded and we’ll see the Lakers trying to position themselves for the draft and free agency. If we play well, I think we’ll perhaps address a few needs at the trade deadline and then try to make a push.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,692 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 09, 2013 - 02:23 AM

IMO Golden State won't sneak up on anyone anymore. Memphis lost it's coach, which one of the main reasons they were successful. SA is older and lost players. Houston got that guy #12 but lost players and Lin isn't as good as people make him out to be. OKC (Westbrook?) We actually got better. As far as the guy up there who doesn't believe Pau will be 20 and 10, just watch what a healthy Pau in his natural position will do. The only thing that will keep Pau down will be health or MDA not playing inside / out

D'antoni is gonna be using Pau exactly where he should be used.  If Pau sucks this year there should be NO more excuses.

D'antoni is gonna play Pau in the post, at the elbow and in the pick and roll.

Pau is doing 3 a days right now to keep himself in shape and said he wants to be at an all-star level again and being the best big man in the game.

If he does not succeed in D'antoni's system which CATERS to centers like him and plays at their strengths the very strengths he has, then there is no excuses left.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,640 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:17 AM

I think it just comes down to people want different things as fans.  Being a Laker fan is not a religion to some, particularly me.  Im from the mindset that I'd rather fall on the knife and possibly revive stronger in a rebuild than coast through this season and get a 7th seed get destroyed by a top seed and lose out of what is supposed to be the best draft since 2003. 

Honestly I don't think mgmt has to tank because the roster isn't built to do any real damage and with Kobe's status up in the air who knows how they will do.  I don't think guys truly realize the position the new CBA has put the Lakers in where teams will now have to build more via the draft and the prospect of landing young elite talent via free agency isn't as possible until said player is about 7yrs deep in the NBA. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#15 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:39 AM

Imagine if everybody here have a positive attitude, this forum wouldn't be a great forum.    I love all this "why being so negative. Be positive" but message boards is for people who have different points of views.  ANd they need to have a ying or a yang. People need to have arguments and dissagreements.  Messageboards is also for people speaking their minds.  Let me asked you this, would you go to a messageboards when everybody is all happy go lucky, butterflys in the air and everything will be ok?  If so, why are you even a member here?  Go live in a fantasy land.  

Positive thinking is great in life. Very good to have.  But this is not a job or a career you trying to do here. This is not a life you trying to live here. THis is a messageboard.  Here is a my positivity for you. I am positive you are going to not be on messageboards any longer because sometimes it might be too much "drama" for one person to handle.  They can't handle the critism and the realism of life. 

Alot of people on here recognized my screen name mainly because I have very strong opinions on stuff. I do argue a lot on here and there are members that might hate my guts.  But reality is I am making this forum a better place with strong opinions and strong views so people can give a crap about and argue about.  I accepted other people's "negative" opinions on this and even dissagreeing with me.  If you looking for all positive opinions and agreement, you are in the wrong place my friend. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#16 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:49 AM

Here is another question I want to asked you mr. Positivity.

If you go into a room and you see a bunch of people lying on the ground dead.  And a scientist asked you to drink this potion and said the potion will make you become stronger and healthier, would you do it?  Are you that positive that you will be like "Well he is a scientist so he knows what he is talking about. Nothing will happen to me. I am going to be stronger! yes!"    Or would you question him seeing how dead bodies is touching your feet?   That is the same thing that happening to the Lakers right now. There is nothing the lakers did that gave us a good feeling inside.  More than 70% of Lakers fans are positive with MDA when he first get fired. Then we saw him coach and how he interact with players. Is it wrong for us to question the Lakers and be negative about mDA? Lakers have not shown us anything to say otherwise.   We are all Lakers fans here. We all want one thing. It is to win. Deep down inside all of us we want the Lakers to prove us wrong. I want the lakers to prove me wrong and surprised me.  But if the Lakers put out a bunch of scrubs and just blindly tell us that this team will win a championship, is it wrong to question them?   In your case no because that is negative.  You will be like "great we have young legs now. We can run faster." 

Its one thing to be positive and another thing to be in fantasy world.  You my friend are Peter Pan.

Edited by epicwolf, August 09, 2013 - 05:55 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:57 AM

Here is another question I want to asked you mr. Positivity.

If you go into a room and you see a bunch of people lying on the ground dead.  And a scientist asked you to drink this potion and said the potion will make you become stronger and healthier, would you do it?  Are you that positive that you will be like "Well he is a scientist so he knows what he is talking about. Nothing will happen to me. I am going to be stronger! yes!"    Or would you question him seeing how dead bodies is touching your feet?   That is the same thing that happening to the Lakers right now. There is nothing the lakers did that gave us a good feeling inside.  More than 70% of Lakers fans are positive with MDA when he first get fired. Then we saw him coach and how he interact with players. Is it wrong for us to question the Lakers and be negative about mDA? Lakers have not shown us anything to say otherwise.   We are all Lakers fans here. We all want one thing. It is to win.  But if the Lakers put out a bunch of scrubs and just blindly tell us that this team will win a championship, is it wrong to question them?   In your case no because that is negative.  You will be like "great we have young legs now. We can run faster." 

Its one thing to be positive and another thing to be in fantasy world.  You my friend are Peter Pan.

There's a difference between being optimistic and being stupid.

You see there's very few people that are very partial with their opinions.

You have people that are overoptimistic.

People that will pick an argument just for the sake of it.

And people that are always negative and call themselves being "real" that talk down to anyone that has a positive outlook and refer to them as "homers" or "blind".

The thing is, this off-season the Lakers have done some things fans didn't expect, they had a pretty solid off-season. 

What they were able to do with just the vets min and the mMLE should be commended, and the team got younger and more athletic and they signed Rambis and put together a solid staff thus far.

Those are all positive things.

Kobe is ahead of schedule, Nash is working like a madman, Pau is doing 3 a days.   They got Nick Young, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Farmar and Chris Kaman.    They've built the team very good in this off-season with what they've had as well as filling out positions three players deep where their most aged players are going to be.  Two shooting guards to back up Kobe two point guards to back up Nash, both that can produce and be effective.   We also got quicker along the wing as well and a good and viable backup center that also shoots 50% from mid range.

You don't just look at that and go "It's all useless and means nothing."

People thought the Lakers would be gone in the water once Dwight left, but considering the off-season thus far they've done a good job.

I'm gonna give credit for that.

Thing is most people won't let go of the fact D'antoni is still our coach and won't feel positive about anything till he's gone.  To me that's not being "real" it's being stubborn.

That's being one of the bodies on the ground and then someone comes in with the antidote to cure your poison but you refuse to take it from him cause she's a brunette and you wanted the antidote from a blond and you wanted the antidote to be chocolate flavored.

So she runs off, dyes her hair, and comes back with a chocolate flavored antidote and you're about to drink it, but then you realize she forgot the whipped cream so you decide not to drink it.   And she says "It will be fine without the whip cream.  You'll be cured!"  And you go "What do you know about chocolate with no whip cream?  You're just being stupidly optimistic! If it doesn't have whip cream it's not gonna taste good end of story!"

THAT is true stubbornness that eventually becomes stupidity.  Or perhaps one in the same.

There are people like fido who is VERY passionate about his team and will say what he feels but he always gives credit to front office moves, when he says he's interested to see how our team runs and matches up against other teams he isn't being stupidly optimistic just because he isn't saying "OMG WE'RE DONE FOR!!" he's being realistic about the positives and negatives he sees. 

Other people on this site like our roster moves and think of ways they could be used for effectiveness.

They aren't being stupidly optimistic they are analyzing.

Just because their analysis chooses not to focus on every negative thing doesn't mean their opinion means less.

The problem is a few have shown up around here "lately" with a vendetta against optimism or any kind of positive analysis and talk down to anyone that sees hope in the team this year calling them stubborn, homers or idiots, and not even realizing their own stubbornness and idiocy in the opposite way.

Edited by Majesty, August 09, 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#18 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:26 AM

I do agree with you Majesty.  Im just saying people do deserve to be negative about this team.  Yes MDA is a big part of it and yes I do sound more negative than I am because of MDA but he havn't shown me anything to make me feel other wised. Its not a vendetta against him.  Heck I hope he surprised me and have 20 game winning streaks or what not and be the coach of the year. But he have not done that since before Nash collecting social security checks.  Being optimistic is great but ignoring the problems the lakers have is just miopic. I am very passionate about my Lakers and Im sure everybody here is. Having pesimistic feelings toward your own team will only make it a greater feeling if they prove you wrong.  The best thing for the Lakers this up coming season is the low expectations.  Do they deserve low expectations? Ofcourse they do.  But now they have no pressure of being good. So they can relax and play. So its not bad to be pesimistic about your team.  I agree sometimes some members can be so negative they just sound retarded. Like people said this team will be a lottery team. That to me is just retarded.  No way this team can be worst than the 8 worst teams in the league and the NBA do have a lot of bad teams. We are just a middle of the pack team. Not bad enough to be in the lottery and not good enough to do much in the draft.  

Edited by epicwolf, August 09, 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:43 AM

I do agree with you Majesty.  Im just saying people do deserve to be negative about this team.  Yes MDA is a big part of it and yes I do sound more negative than I am because of MDA but he havn't shown me anything to make me feel other wised. Its not a vendetta against him.  Heck I hope he surprised me and have 20 game winning streaks or what not and be the coach of the year. But he have not done that since before Nash collecting social security checks.  Being optimistic is great but ignoring the problems the lakers have is just miopic. I am very passionate about my Lakers and Im sure everybody here is. Having pesimistic feelings toward your own team will only make it a greater feeling if they prove you wrong.  The best thing for the Lakers this up coming season is the low expectations.  Do they deserve low expectations? Ofcourse they do.  But now they have no pressure of being good. So they can relax and play. So its not bad to be pesimistic about your team.

I see everything you're saying.

Yet when we look at the way the team is constructed, it's actually a team D'antoni should do fine with.

Gasol is center and Kaman can play 4/5 one thing D'antoni specializes in is horns and all the different types therein.

That plus the point guard options(Nash, Blake, Farmar) basically can run those sets with ease and Farmar will probably benefit from pick and roll(and will probably be used to push tempo at times) and then considering we added Nick Young to our bench along with Wesley Johnson on our wing, if we look at the way our team is constructed.   It's one that should be pretty successful under the pick and roll sets he likes to run, and our spacing should be loads better.

We may not be happy that we have D'antoni over Phil.   But if we look at how our team is now constructed, it could actually find a lot of success over the horns and pick and roll sets he's likely going to run.

The other positive is that he(D'antoni) NEVER has to think about trying to focus on any kind of defense because Rambis will do just that.  D'antoni can focus on offense, Rambis can focus on defense(strong side zone is his speciality) 

So when I look at the team I think we'll win a lot more than people expect and I expect our offense to run a lot smoother.   We're not a perfect or elite team.  But the main things I'm looking at is how we're built, the advantages etc of it, and if it meshes with personnel, and at the moment it does, so our team is built for success under his system and halfcourt sets. 

So I want to see what he does with it now.

If we're successful more power to him.  If we suck he'll likely be fired.  So it's a win-win really.

#20 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,083 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Deal with it, Pau gonna retire a Laker  :laughing:  :laughing:

tumblr_miul3zHbfI1s5sl3yo1_400.gif

Pau Gasol is GONE