Photo

D-Wade & Sons Pay Homage To Trayvon Martin On Ebony Cover

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

• 38,821 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:58 PM

http://blacksportson...ny-cover-photo/

The issue’s cover features Wade and sons and is one of four covers currently on newsstands. On the cover, it features the simple but poignant representation of 3 black males (Wade and sons) donned in hoodies, with the words ‘We are Trayvon’ in red bold text.

dwyane-wade-on-ebony-trayvon-homage-240x

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,572 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:11 PM

Fool without a cause.

#3 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 1,493 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Fool without a cause.

well, a cause would be don't discriminate a black person with a hood on

ap1.png

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,954 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:15 PM

nice cover

Pau Gasol is TRASH

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,572 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:20 PM

I just don't think athletes should be so opinionated on this, regardless of race. They only see a mixed race individual with a generally white surname in Zimmerman and a dead adolescent African American male. All the in betweens of the court with the evidence and justice system they dismiss. All the 'famous' people just assume what the media chooses to dictate.

You think this pic sends a positive message?

Again, ultimately worse is that someone lost their lives at a young age. But focusing at race only leads you more down the same path.

Edited by Ven, August 07, 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#6 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:33 PM

I just don't think athletes should be so opinionated on this, regardless of race. They only see a mixed race individual with a generally white surname in Zimmerman and a dead adolescent African American male. All the in betweens of the court with the evidence and justice system they dismiss. All the 'famous' people just assume what the media chooses to dictate.

You think this pic sends a positive message?

Again, ultimately worse is that someone lost their lives at a young age. But focusing at race only leads you more down the same path.

Exactly. I don't mean to sound like a douche or anything, but Trayvon isn't the only young black who has been murdered for little to no reason . I just don't think this should be made into a Black/White thing. I lived in engelwood on the southside of Chicago where young kids got killed everyday, and they don't even get a chance at justice. I know from personal experience. I don't mean to come off as not caring, but simply want to point out he isn't the first, the only, or the last young kid to be killed for no reason.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,435 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Stand your ground needs to be abolished.

That's all that needs to be taken from that tragedy.

Also, it's a free country, if athletes have an opinion who are we to say they shouldn't spread it? We're on an internet forum discussing ours :P

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 05:34 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#8 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 391 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Also, it's a free country, if athletes have an opinion who are we to say they shouldn't spread it? We're on an internet forum discussing ours :P

I understand. That's not my stance. My stance is where were/are these athletes for that kids wrongful murder or that kids wrongful murder. It just seems like a PR move for most of them. Since it was a top story on the news, everybody has to care so much about this one murder in particular?

#9 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,572 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Athletes opinions mold younger people unfortunately, they aren't preaching tolerance or peace, they are raising tensions as to how the Justice system failed or how Zimmerman in the 'hood' will get what is coming of him and plenty of other things.

As for abolishing that law, I can agree that it probably is best to abolish it considering the slippery slope effect. But then again many have been saved by that same law, so it is based more on personal experiences instead of this one case.

#10 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 4,463 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Okay.

Hundreds of kids just like Trayvon have been murdered in the streets of Chicago (close to his hometown). Get on a magazine for them.

yo.

• 38,821 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Just further evidence that goes to show how powerful the media is.

yo.

#12 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 391 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Okay.

Hundreds of kids just like Trayvon have been murdered in the streets of Chicago (close to his hometown). Get on a magazine for them.

That's what I'm trying to say without sounding inconsiderate. I really do feel for his family, but I feel for him just as much as the other kids who didn't get all the media attention.

Edited by Paris, August 07, 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,435 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 07, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Okay.

In Chicago it's illegal

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#14 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 1,493 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:20 PM

we gotta stop looking at it *including myself* as a black on black crime.. or white on black or hispanic on black crimes... it's crimes on humanity.. human on human. There have been countless of dna comparisons that show that someone that is black has closer matching dna to someone who is Asian and vice versa...in other words... COLOR DOESN'T matter!  bringing education into different cultures does!  uniting cultures... each culture/ethnic can be unique.. but we all share  in being human! we are not very different at all

ap1.png

• 38,821 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:26 PM

COLOR DOESN'T matter!  bringing education into different cultures does!  uniting cultures... each culture/ethnic can be unique.. but we all share  in being human! we are not very different at all

If only everyone in the world could see things this way, but sadly that probably will never happen.

yo.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,260 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:43 PM

The same dudes, with Fox News parallel views.

this was much needed. it's funny how this was POLARIZED by FOX NEWS, where people have the NERVE to speak on anything but GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER, a kid just wanting to watch the game with his dad.

Wade hs kids, he lives in Florida, if they were in that same neighborhoods, what could have happened?

Please, stop commenting on that, since you want Wade to not be opinionated.

You just want to see him run, jump, sing and dance huh?

#17 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 619 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted August 08, 2013 - 09:39 AM

The Trayvon Martin case further proves how much power the media has on society and national discourse.  Anyone that actually followed the case closely, and not just talking points from various news outlets, can clearly see the case had absolutely nothing to do with race.  I bet it would surprise most people to know that Zimmerman dated and took a black girl to the prom, mentored young black kids in his spare time, actually had black family members, and also voted and campaigned for Obama.  

The only problem is that mentioning any of the countless examples of Zimmerman not being a racist goes against what the media wanted to sensationalize, "a "White" man killing a young black kid with skittles in his pockets."  When in actuality Trayvon Martin was 6ft 3 inches tall. He was suspended from school three times and later kicked out for using graffiti and allegedly caught stealing.  Also, why would the media not use recent photos of Trayvon Martin with a grill in mouth and flipping people off?  Because, again, it would not follow the commentary they want to portray that a "White" man killed a young black kid.  Also, do you really think a jury of all females, many of which who are mothers, would not feel sympathetic toward Martin's death?

A lot of what the media is trying to do is further divide the country into white vs black. People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are further exacerbating these old wounds by race-baiting so they can continue to have job security.  Not every little matter is racially motivated.  This is not to say there is no racism, because I certainly believe there is, but to say the Trayvon Martin case is in example of it is not taking into account all of the facts.  Martin's case was a truly awful situation in which a young man died far too early in life.

Edited by LakersAllDay77, August 08, 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#18 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,390 posts
  • Name:Chao❤Wade
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 08, 2013 - 09:50 AM

It's funny... you say "stand your ground needs to be abolished," and then go on to say "it's a free country." :P

The whole point of stand your ground is to extinguish the requirement to evade/flee a deadly situation. If you abolish stand your ground law (this should be left up to the state, not a blanket federal law, anyways), you would be placing a requirement upon somebody, which is the opposite of freedom.

Using deadly force should not be the first option for anyone. It should be the last resort. Evading the deadly situation should always be the first option. But guess what? The first option does not always work out. Therefore, you must have a contingency plan, and if you are in a deadly situation, by definition, your life is potentially at stake. If I am with my family and someone pulls a knife out in front of my kids and stabs me, there isn't a time to run away and I am not letting him do God knows what to children. I am pulling out my gun and am shooting him in the face.

Stand your ground law exempts one from murder in such instances. As you can see, it varies from situation to situation, and again, fleeing/evading should ALWAYS be the first option.

Dwayne Wade can voice his opinion, but having his kids on the front cover of a magazine for a highly controversial subject is more than voicing his opinion... it is a straight up appeal to emotion.

Edited by -Wade-, August 08, 2013 - 09:54 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#19 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 808 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, Ron Artest, Magic

Posted August 08, 2013 - 11:44 AM

. No it doesn't actually, but yes we all have our opinions

"Any man dies with a clean sword,  I'LL RAPE HIS [expletive]ING CORPSE!!!!!" - Sandor Clegane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users