Photo

Michael Beasley released, will Lakers take a look? (Pg. 23)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
636 replies to this topic

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:12 PM

65220_575260379191918_1311126636_n.png

:laughing: Lmao.

yo.

#82 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,338 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:46 PM

But it's not act like Beasley was an unproducing scrub either

his rookie year he went 13/5 off the bench on 47% shooting 40% from 3
next year he went 14/4 as a starter on 45% shooting but his three was horrid
But the next his breakout year as a starter he went 19/5 on 45% shooting 36% from 3
His next season was riddled with injuries  as he only started 7 games and that was when his production dropped to 11/4 yet still on 44% shooting.
This last year when his minutes were riddled, and he was played at different roles with Phoenix as well as the coaching changes midway through, had his worst year where he was a sixth man mostly and scored 10 ppg on 40% shooting

The thing is that Beasley's role was tossed around in Phoenix and he never had a defined one, and his last season in Minnesota was riddled with injuries after his breakout year.   Is he as good as Lamar was before he left Miami?  No.     But one thing Beasley has always been is a scorer and last season was his only season where he really wasn't in the 45% range for his shooting.

So I'm not gonna write off the 24 year old Beasley after last year whatsoever, he still has the ability to produce in this league so if it comes down to it, and Thomas and Brewer aren't gonna be making it here for one reason or another I wouldn't be mad at getting Beasley at all to be honest.    IF we were hyped about potentially getting Copeland I don't mind getting Beasley.

The rumors about Copeland were at the start of the free agency, when the Lakers hadn't signed anyone and Dwight was still a Laker. His 48% three-point percentage was the main factor that the Lakers FO were looking at. And the fact that he was playing relatively well during the end of the season. A potential 6th man for the Lakers. Copeland doesn't have problems like Beasley.

Now that we've signed Nick Young, there really isn't a need for Beasley. Let's focus on getting Young consistent and focusing on defense before you sign an inconsistent, idiotic Beasley. I respect Beasley's talent and game, but no way I want his terrible off-court actions interfering within the Lakers.

#83 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,575 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted August 07, 2013 - 06:18 PM

#84 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,642 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 07, 2013 - 06:22 PM

The rumors about Copeland were at the start of the free agency, when the Lakers hadn't signed anyone and Dwight was still a Laker. His 48% three-point percentage was the main factor that the Lakers FO were looking at. And the fact that he was playing relatively well during the end of the season. A potential 6th man for the Lakers. Copeland doesn't have problems like Beasley.

Now that we've signed Nick Young, there really isn't a need for Beasley. Let's focus on getting Young consistent and focusing on defense before you sign an inconsistent, idiotic Beasley. I respect Beasley's talent and game, but no way I want his terrible off-court actions interfering within the Lakers.

Why can't we work on them both focusing? 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#85 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,338 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Why aren't you taking Beasley's off-court problems into consideration? Heck, he'll probably get arrested during the middle of the season. 

To answer your question, I'd rather have a guaranteed defender/rebounder. 

#86 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Because you can't have 2-3 guys on the court that only like to score man.  Bball is a chemistry game.  You really haven't watched much of Beasley or Nick Young in their career's have you?  Please lay off the 2k teambuidling nonsense.   Young and Beasley on the floor would be 2 guys that DO NOT pass often that are decent but inefficient scorers and horrible defensive players. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#87 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:07 PM

To hell with his off the court issues did you see him play with PHX this year?  Duke was effin terrible.  He was shooting like 38% overall one month.  10.1 ppg at 40% from the field?  He's 6'10" and he isnt even as efficient as an avg SG off someone's bench like Jodie Meeks?  Not to mention he's a blackhole on offense and likes to shoot midrange jumpers too much instead of using other parts of his skillset

Why aren't you taking Beasley's off-court problems into consideration? Heck, he'll probably get arrested during the middle of the season. 

To answer your question, I'd rather have a guaranteed defender/rebounder. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#88 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,642 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Because you can't have 2-3 guys on the court that only like to score man.  Bball is a chemistry game.  You really haven't watched much of Beasley or Nick Young in their career's have you?  Please lay off the 2k teambuidling nonsense.   Young and Beasley on the floor would be 2 guys that DO NOT pass often that are decent but inefficient scorers and horrible defensive players. 

They are both end of plays iso players.

if you'd tell me who else would be scoring on their bench I'd like to know.

You act like they are gonna take all these shots from Kobe.

If you look at our bench if it turned out being

Blake/Farmar
Young
Beasley
Harris
Kaman

or something of the sort.  Then Young and Beasley WOULD be the offense of that second unit.

If they are in a lineup with Kobe they will get the ball at the end of plays from Kobe or from Nash, they aren't gonna be taking shots away from Kobe because Kobe or Nash is gonna be the one getting them the ball. Same way that it was done with Metta.

If you think Beasley is gonna chuck 17 terrible shots while under heavy defensive pressure when Kobe etc is on the floor with him then you're sorely mistaken. 

When Nick Young was one of the main offensive options on the Wizards he took 13-15 shots a game.  When he came to the Clippers as a bench role play it went down to 7.   There a reason for it.

The whole "oh he shot 20 times in a main role here! he's gonna shoot 20 in a diminished role here!" don't fly.

For the record Beasley as a starter shot 17 times a game, in a diminished role on the bench or having his minutes yanked around in Phoenix it went down to 10. Again, there's a reason for it.

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#89 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:13 PM

You think players are afraid of Kobe to where they won't do ish they feel like doing?  Everyone isn't Pau.  Kobe got 2 pieced by a guy that was barely 6 foot 1.  He isn't scaring an idiot out of taking stupid shots.  How about NOT signing a guy with a horrible track record of being a chucker that isn't very good and didnt live up to the hype of his pick and moving on to something more productive OR just save that roster slot lol. 

You have it in your mind that all of these guys are just going to get minutes and they won't.  If you sign Beasley what do you do with Wes Johnson's minutes?

Pau/Kaman

Hill/Kelly

Wes/Young/Kobe

Kobe/Meeks

If those that is your lineup do you not see where giving Beasley considerable minutes impedes on others being able to become a cohesive unit?  Not to mention the chemistry issues he would cause.  Why not just let Kelly and Harris get those garbage time or when needed minutes to develop and let Beasley sit at home and smoke a loudpack

They are both end of plays iso players.

if you'd tell me who else would be scoring on their bench I'd like to know.

You act like they are gonna take all these shots from Kobe.

If you look at our bench if it turned out being

Blake/Farmar
Young
Beasley
Harris
Kaman

or something of the sort.  Then Young and Beasley WOULD be the offense of that second unit.

If they are in a lineup with Kobe they will get the ball at the end of plays from Kobe or from Nash, they aren't gonna be taking shots away from Kobe because Kobe or Nash is gonna be the one getting them the ball. Same way that it was done with Metta.

If you think Beasley is gonna chuck 17 terrible shots while under heavy defensive pressure when Kobe etc is on the floor with him then you're sorely mistaken. 

#90 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,642 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:23 PM

You think players are afraid of Kobe to where they won't do ish they feel like doing?  Everyone isn't Pau.  Kobe got 2 pieced by a guy that was barely 6 foot 1.  He isn't scaring an idiot out of taking stupid shots.  How about NOT signing a guy with a horrible track record of being a chucker that isn't very good and didnt live up to the hype of his pick and moving on to something more productive OR just save that roster slot lol. 

You have it in your mind that all of these guys are just going to get minutes and they won't.  If you sign Beasley what do you do with Wes Johnson's minutes?

Pau/Kaman

Hill/Kelly

Wes/Young/Kobe

Kobe/Meeks

If those that is your lineup do you not see where giving Beasley considerable minutes impedes on others being able to become a cohesive unit?  Not to mention the chemistry issues he would cause.  Why not just let Kelly and Harris get those garbage time or when needed minutes to develop and let Beasley sit at home and smoke a loudpack

When Nick Young was one of the main offensive options on the Wizards he took 13-15 shots a game.  When he came to the Clippers as a bench role play it went down to 7.   There a reason for it.

The whole "oh he shot 20 times in a main role here! he's gonna shoot 20 in a diminished role here!" don't fly.

For the record Beasley as a starter shot 17 times a game, in a diminished role on the bench or having his minutes yanked around in Phoenix it went down to 10. Again, there's a reason for it.

#91 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:25 PM

You are focused on total shots..I'm focusing on the potential of bad offense and overall terrible shots that produce terrible offensive flow.  This is why guys like Nick Young signed a minimum deal this year.  This is why Beasley got benched even though he played on maybe the worst team in the West. 

You can believe that Nick Young took a discount to be a Laker crap all you want but the market wasn't about to be friendly to him.  He was terrible with the Clippers and they didnt even try to bring him back and was pretty much his avg self but got overpaid by Philly.  Philly gave Kwame Brown 6M btw. 

#92 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Nick Young also shot 39% from the field avg those 7 shots and took some really bad shots as well.  Nick Young is only good when wide open for a 3 or when he has a someone that can't defend guarding him.  Other than that he isn't fit to start on ANY NBA team.

#93 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,541 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:31 PM

^I think Nick is just a streaky shooter. It's true that he is not a starter. (yes, we agreed). He has terrible nights but then has some decent to good nights. As long as he averages like 12 points, I'd be happy. Beasley is still a steal for the minimum. Almost any "decent" player is a steal for the minimum LOL

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#94 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:34 PM

I think Beasley would take away from Nick Young. I feel like we can only focus on two guys at a time.

BTW, if we did get him for the vet min it's low risk so I wouldn't be mad.

Also, the bench would look like

Farmar

Meeks

Young

Beasley

Kaman

#95 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Nick Young could start, as a role player, would specific sets. Have you watched his teams play. His role was somewhat defined as a Clipper, but Chris Paul doesn't improve wing players like Young.

I think he can be an under control player.

Do you remember what Billups used to be before detroit?

Sometimes you just need stability.

Kobe will take Young and Wes under his wings.

As far as Beasley, if he is dropped, get him later in the season. 

#96 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,166 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'm going to have to pass. Kid has talent, he just seems another J.R Rider...
Posted Image

#97 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,642 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Nick Young also shot 39% from the field avg those 7 shots and took some really bad shots as well.  Nick Young is only good when wide open for a 3 or when he has a someone that can't defend guarding him.  Other than that he isn't fit to start on ANY NBA team.

pretty much what he'll get while playing off our bench or when playing with Nash Blake or Kobe.

So what's your point?  

If we get guys that are gonna get wide open shots given our team setup and style we'll likely be running then I don't mind them being Nick Young or Beasley.

haven't we always said if the Lakers had people that could consistently knockdown shots that he'd have more assists...feeding wide open shots to the likes of Nick Young and Michael Beasley is just fine with me.   Those are guys you can't afford to leave wide open.

Sure if you put it in their hands and tell them to force plays you may have issues but when that likely isn't going to happen very often if they are on this team considering the diminished role.

If anything Kobe is the guy that would get the opportunity to draw defense and they just need to keep their hands ready.

On a team like ours their "iso" situations probably take a drop too.  Unless you honestly think that Nick Young is going to be counted on to create offense as much as he had to do in Washington or even in Philly considering who is on our team is silly.  Same for Beasley.

Especially since the offense will likely be running will be them at the end of plays getting wide open shots and asked to iso 'some' of the time.   Which I have no issues with.

Why do you think Rambis said that we needed some guys that would "fill the wings" to make the defense react more so they can put pressure on it(the bench). 

Having Beasley does that and gives us an actual sized 3 that can stretch the floor competently.   The starting 3 in Johnson whom would be the better defender and Beasley who can be offense off the bench along with Nick Young is fine with me.

Can you name 5 teams that would have two scorers as capable as young and beasley on it.

If so I'd like to hear your list.   If you only name top of the league teams it will prove the point I'm trying to make.

I have no problem having Beasley and Young on our bench considering they won't be the ones asked to make the offense happen and they likely would be an off ball role.  And honestly given the times we used to give the ball to Metta off broken plays and he tried to make something work I'd probably feel more confident if Beasley had to do that "some" of the time.

And actually I can't think of many benches in the NBA that would have two capable scorers the likes of Young and Beasley on them.   If so I'd like if you named them :) 

And that doesn't mean respond withj "OH NICK YOUNGS STATS ARE THIS!! BEASLEY IS TERRIBLE BLAH BLAH!!"

I mean to look at the other benches in the NBA and tell me which have two more capable scorers coming off the bench at the same time than Nick Young and Michael Beasley.  I'll wait :)

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#98 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:45 PM

No.

Micheal Beasley was possibly the most detrimental player in the NBA last season, on and off the court. (He just got arrested and was investigated for sexual assault a few months ago.)

This was the year he was supposed to get his head straight and shine, but instead instead he hurt his team enough that he got benched.

There is no indication he won't be hurting his team next year.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#99 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'll one up you.  Can you name any team that has been hell bent on bringing those 2 back as free agents? There is a reason why Nick Young has become a journeyman and Beasley just won't stick and it isnt just b/c he smokes weed.  There are plenty of NBA players that get blowed. 

But ill play your game tho...

Bobcats

Pelicans

Suns

Cavs

Wizards

Raptors

Heat

OKC

GSW

5 of those were Lottery teams.  How about naming a team either of those 2 guys made BETTER?

pretty much what he'll get while playing off our bench or when playing with Nash Blake or Kobe.

So what's your point?  

If we get guys that are gonna get wide open shots given our team setup and style we'll likely be running then I don't mind them being Nick Young or Beasley.

haven't we always said if the Lakers had people that could consistently knockdown shots that he'd have more assists...feeding wide open shots to the likes of Nick Young and Michael Beasley is just fine with me.   Those are guys you can't afford to leave wide open.

Sure if you put it in their hands and tell them to force plays you may have issues but when that likely isn't going to happen very often if they are on this team considering the diminished role.

If anything Kobe is the guy that would get the opportunity to draw defense and they just need to keep their hands ready.

On a team like ours their "iso" situations probably take a drop too.  Unless you honestly think that Nick Young is going to be counted on to create offense as much as he had to do in Washington or even in Philly considering who is on our team is silly.  Same for Beasley.

Especially since the offense will likely be running will be them at the end of plays getting wide open shots and asked to iso 'some' of the time.   Which I have no issues with.

Why do you think Rambis said that we needed some guys that would "fill the wings" to make the defense react more so they can put pressure on it(the bench). 

Having Beasley does that and gives us an actual sized 3 that can stretch the floor competently.   The starting 3 in Johnson whom would be the better defender and Beasley who can be offense off the bench along with Nick Young is fine with me.

Can you name 5 teams that would have two scorers as capable as young and beasley on it.

If so I'd like to hear your list.   If you only name top of the league teams it will prove the point I'm trying to make.

I have no problem having Beasley and Young on our bench considering they won't be the ones asked to make the offense happen and they likely would be an off ball role.  And honestly given the times we used to give the ball to Metta off broken plays and he tried to make something work I'd probably feel more confident if Beasley had to do that "some" of the time.

And actually I can't think of many benches in the NBA that would have two capable scorers the likes of Young and Beasley on them.   If so I'd like if you named them :) 

And that doesn't mean respond withj "OH NICK YOUNGS STATS ARE THIS!! BEASLEY IS TERRIBLE BLAH BLAH!!"

I mean to look at the other benches in the NBA and tell me which have two more capable scorers coming off the bench at the same time than Nick Young and Michael Beasley.  I'll wait :)

#100 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Vet min, do people understand that ZERO risk essentially?

Is he going to "divide the locker room" or 'corrupt the young guys"?

Whatever

Better than Tyrus thomas. Got a GW lay-up against us last season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users