Photo

Michael Beasley released, will Lakers take a look? (Pg. 23)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
636 replies to this topic

#61 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 03:11 PM

would beasley sign the vet min though lol?

#62 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,410 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 07, 2013 - 03:17 PM

He went for 27 points against our Lakers this past season. 

He shows up every five games or so. Even so, he's too much of an off-court problem. And not exactly one of the Lakers need.

Had the Lakers signed Ronnie Brewer or Kenyon Martin instead of Elias Harris, then going for Beasley for the extra scoring punch would make more sense (though I'd still want more defenders/rebounders and not Beasley who gets in trouble like every month lol )

I wouldn't mind having a guy that scored 20 points every five games or so coming off our bench =p

Anyway here's a few games from last year including that game he had against us where he toasted both Metta and Clark X_X

For the vets min?   If he's willing?  Yeah I'd take that. 

Also if he does this we can start a letbeasleydunk.com campaign

lol :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 03:29 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#63 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,001 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 07, 2013 - 03:39 PM

1 year min?

YES!!!

didn't the lakers almost have a trade locked up for Beasley a couple years ago when he was in Minny?

Some crazies even were floating Beasley for Pau styled trades...

Lakers could use him at the 3/4

#64 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 854 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 07, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Seems really lazy. Must be all that weed. But dude can go for 20 points in his sleep if he wants

#65 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,410 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 03:48 PM

Phoenix could use stretch provision on Beasley

Paul Coro: The #Suns have an option to waive and stretch Beasley's contract. They'd pay $9M over 5 years instead of 2 & could stretch the cap hit too. Twitter @paulcoro

That would be 1.8 million a year for Beasley the Suns would pay so they wouldn't take a hard hit salary cap wise.

#66 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,848 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hell no.  I was one of the guys big on acquiring Beasley last year.  His ceiling has been reached and he is too big of an idiot for any coach to get anything productive out of.  I can't see in any way he can help the Lakers.  Sure he could have a big game once every blue moon but he will never be a consistent player in the NBA until he takes his craft seriously

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#67 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,410 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hell no.  I was one of the guys big on acquiring Beasley last year.  His ceiling has been reached and he is too big of an idiot for any coach to get anything productive out of.  I can't see in any way he can help the Lakers.  Sure he could have a big game once every blue moon but he will never be a consistent player in the NBA until he takes his craft seriously

Could Kobe do for him what he did for Lamar?   Even then Lamar was inconsistent, but it was his constant pushing that brought Lamar's game to where it could be.  

The question becomes if Beasley can take Kobe's criticism.  As we've seen(as per last year) some people can't.  

#68 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,223 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Absolutely not.

#69 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,848 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Lamar was a good player well before coming to the Laker's.  I wouldn't credit Kobe for anything for Lamar did, I'd credit Lamar.  Beasley isn't very good man.  You are posting some good games he had but he had some games that would make you consider him one of the worst players in the nba.  The dude was shooting like 38% from the field one month.  I remember he had one game where he was like 2-13 then followed up and bust MWP ass in LA. 

That money would be better spent on a possible gem or just leave those minutes to let Elias Harris and Marcus Landry possibly develop.  Why give Beasley their minutes when in reality the team isn't going to improve with him anyway.

Could Kobe do for him what he did for Lamar?   Even then Lamar was inconsistent, but it was his constant pushing that brought Lamar's game to where it could be.  

The question becomes if Beasley can take Kobe's criticism.  As we've seen(as per last year) some people can't.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#70 Galácticos

Galácticos

Kings

• 2,945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Young

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Yes

CHAD.jpg

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#71 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Starter

• 5,582 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:19 PM

Wasn't going to comment but here I am. Bottom line Beasley is gonna do what he want to, he will never reach his full potential because he would rather get caught up into trouble. The guy has so much potential and he is gifted yet he's wasting it by doing stupid stuff like this. I know what he did wasn't really bad but save that [expletive] until you get home or something. He is still one of my favorite players. Only 24 years old, I think he is still one of the best and most gifted scorers in the league, so yeah I'm not going to just give up on him. He really needs to get it together but its not just off the court it on the court too.  He doesn't seem like he wants it, not dedicated and he is lazy. He can be a  blackhole on offense, and he needs to learn how to balance scoring and involve his teammates too. He is inconsistent too.  Needs to stop being lazy on defense(Not really that good from the get go) but with his length he can bother people. But this is all on Beasley and what he wants to do.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, August 07, 2013 - 04:24 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#72 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,410 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Lamar was a good player well before coming to the Laker's.  I wouldn't credit Kobe for anything for Lamar did, I'd credit Lamar.  Beasley isn't very good man.  You are posting some good games he had but he had some games that would make you consider him one of the worst players in the nba.  The dude was shooting like 38% from the field one month.  I remember he had one game where he was like 2-13 then followed up and bust MWP ass in LA. 

That money would be better spent on a possible gem or just leave those minutes to let Elias Harris and Marcus Landry possibly develop.  Why give Beasley their minutes when in reality the team isn't going to improve with him anyway.

Why would we want Marcus Landry who literally nearly always needed the same amount of shots it took to score the same amount of points? Like 18 for 18 against summer league competition but we're bashing Beasley for being streaky?  If I had to choose between Marcus Landry and Beasley I'd take Beasley honestly.   He's at least proven against NBA competition and had a 17 point year.  Guy even in one of his worst years was still an 11 points off the bench.   

Beasley's major major problem(on the court) is his inconsistency.  That is something I agree with you on.    He can drop 20 one night and go 1-17 the next night. 

Fortunately he won't be shooting 17 times on this team.  And if it comes down to it... if we're running plays to set up the corner three for the small forward... I'd rather Beasley be shooting that over Metta =p 

Will say, he had his absolute worst year in Phoenix

By inconsistent I MEAN Inconsistent

As in he shot 38% from the field one month,  but then the very next month he shot 47% from the field, the next month he shot 37%, and then the following he shot 43%.

But all and all Michael beasley is more often than not a 45% shooter from the field or at least in that range, I don't mind having that honestly.

Unfortunately I expected his season to take a downward spiral in the first 2 months.   As Gentry went from playing him 28 minutes a game and dropping it down to 17 the very next month. 

Guy can obviously still produce.   The question is and always has been his consistency, but if we're looking at someone from the wing position, and defenders like Ronnie Brewer and Tyrus Thomas aren't on board or are looking to be elsewhere, then I'd take Beasley.

Also like I said.. I do NOT want a young scorer like him to go to Miami.  If he does they're three-peating.

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#73 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 4,653 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:24 PM

In his first year with the Clippers, Lamar Odom averaged 16.7 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocks with a 44 FG%. In his short stint with Miami right before coming to the Lakers, he averaged 17.1 points and 9.7 rebounds with a 43 FG%. He may not have had the best FG%, but he rebounded, defended, and certainly wasn't caught repetitively speeding, being in possession of marijuana, sexual assaults, etc. 

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 07, 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#74 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,410 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:36 PM

In his first year with the Clippers, Lamar Odom averaged 16.7 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocks with a 44 FG%. In his short stint with Miami right before coming to the Lakers, he averaged 17.1 points and 9.7 rebounds with a 43 FG%. He may not have had the best FG%, but he rebounded, defended, and certainly wasn't caught repetitively speeding, being in possession of marijuana, sexual assaults, etc. 

But it's not act like Beasley was an unproducing scrub either

his rookie year he went 13/5 off the bench on 47% shooting 40% from 3
next year he went 14/4 as a starter on 45% shooting but his three was horrid
But the next his breakout year as a starter he went 19/5 on 45% shooting 36% from 3
His next season was riddled with injuries  as he only started 7 games and that was when his production dropped to 11/4 yet still on 44% shooting.
This last year when his minutes were riddled, and he was played at different roles with Phoenix as well as the coaching changes midway through, had his worst year where he was a sixth man mostly and scored 10 ppg on 40% shooting

The thing is that Beasley's role was tossed around in Phoenix and he never had a defined one, and his last season in Minnesota was riddled with injuries after his breakout year.   Is he as good as Lamar was before he left Miami?  No.     But one thing Beasley has always been is a scorer and last season was his only season where he really wasn't in the 45% range for his shooting.

So I'm not gonna write off the 24 year old Beasley after last year whatsoever, he still has the ability to produce in this league so if it comes down to it, and Thomas and Brewer aren't gonna be making it here for one reason or another I wouldn't be mad at getting Beasley at all to be honest.    IF we were hyped about potentially getting Copeland I don't mind getting Beasley.

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#75 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,440 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:40 PM

I'm so bummed we lost Earl Clark. Exactly what we're missing; a 3/4 with a decent jumper, good finisher at the rim, good rebounder, good defender. Can't say I blame him for leaving though, no way the Lakers were gonna shell out that kind of money and that's possibly a once in a lifetime paycheck for him. Hard guy to replace, we're gonna feel it not having him, Metta, and Dwight (of course) this year on the defensive end. Despite Metta's lack of quickness, he was still 3rd in steals for small forwards and could defend most 3s and 4s respectably. 

Not sure Beasley is the answer, but we ain't winning jack this season anyway. If he wants a one year vet min, I'd be cool with it.

• 38,768 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Can't say I blame him for leaving though, no way the Lakers were gonna shell out that kind of money and that's possibly a once in a lifetime paycheck for him.

Not to mention he was MDA's whipping boy.

yo.

#77 Rad

Rad

• 1,530 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:47 PM

• 38,768 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:52 PM

yo.

#79 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,410 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm so bummed we lost Earl Clark. Exactly what we're missing; a 3/4 with a decent jumper, good finisher at the rim, good rebounder, good defender. Can't say I blame him for leaving though, no way the Lakers were gonna shell out that kind of money and that's possibly a once in a lifetime paycheck for him. Hard guy to replace, we're gonna feel it not having him, Metta, and Dwight (of course) this year on the defensive end. Despite Metta's lack of quickness, he was still 3rd in steals for small forwards and could defend most 3s and 4s respectably. 

Not sure Beasley is the answer, but we ain't winning jack this season anyway. If he wants a one year vet min, I'd be cool with it.

I think the only reason Earl took the Cavs offer was because Dwight told him before hand he wasn't re-signing with us. 

I mean if Chris Paul threatened the Clippers he'd go to Houston with Dwight weeks before the "decision" then that means Dwight was already telling people he was going to Houston.  After he told Earl, Earl started looking at those options and eventually took the Cavs offer and the Lakers didn't match.

Mad we lost Earl too though.   But I fully understood as well like you did.

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#80 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 280 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:07 PM

65220_575260379191918_1311126636_n.png

af_2013_10_08.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users