Photo

Michael Beasley released, will Lakers take a look? (Pg. 23)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
636 replies to this topic

#41 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,592 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yup, if he wants a one year vet min

#42 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 5,603 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Right. That's why they passed on K-Mart. [expletive]in' stupid. He's a Knick again now, but they could've gotten' him if they would've prioritized defense enough.

Perhaps his age of 35 and ankle injury deterred the Lakers from pursuing him.

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:28 PM

Don't give me that BS. It was another low-risk high-reward type of thing. K-Mart's been having a significant impact even at his age now the last several seasons. Saw it with the Clippers, especially in the playoffs against Memphis. Saw it with the Knicks last season a lot of times on league pass. He can still do the job on both ends, but especially on the defensive side. Just admit that the Lakers dropped the ball on that one and clearly didn't prioritize defense (not shockingly sadly).

Edited by    , August 07, 2013 - 01:29 PM.

yo.

#44 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,631 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:29 PM

If you can get Beasley for the minimum you definitely go for him....

#45 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 5,603 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Lakers only have about 4 capable scorers. We all are saying we have enough offense.

Kobe, Nash, Young, Gasol. Everyone else is a wildcard(Johnson) or gets their points via hustling. Thomas gives some defense but his offense is very questionable. Ronnie is a guy id love. But when it comes to scoring there's maybe 2 or 3 people we could rely on for offense.

I think the Lakers are looking at Beaslry cause of his scoring but also what Rambis said.

He said recently 'its easier to teach an offensive guy defense than it is teaching a defensive guy offense.'

But like I said I'd tame Beasley or Brewer.

Four capable scorers is enough. Though I'd say five since Chris Kaman easily scored 10+ points around 50% last season. Of course health will always be a concern, but that goes for the entire team. With the open looks that'll come when the stars are on the court, other players will get their shots. Farmar can drive it in, shoot threes, and make open jumpers. Wesley will receive more open looks, and perhaps that'll increase his shooting percentage (or he'll be another Metta whose threes most of the time won't go in lol). Steve Blake and Meeks are both capable of knocking down threes. 

I agreed with your "team defense and cleaning up mistakes" discussion pertaining to Kurt Rambis in the other thread. But that doesn't mean you should assume all these players will suddenly start playing defense. The Heat team that just won the championship had Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Allen as the capable scorers. The other players were able to knock down shots every now and then due to the open looks. But the entire team knew had to play defense and had elite defenders in Lebron, Wade, and Battier. 

The Lakers priority should be signing someone who can play defense or rebound. Or of course both. Lamar Odom seems the closest candidate due to his rebounding. Tyrus Thomas still remains an injury concern. Knicks are interested in Ivan Johnson. We'll have to wait and see.

#46 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 5,603 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:43 PM

Don't give me that BS. It was another low-risk high-reward type of thing. K-Mart's been having a significant impact even at his age now the last several seasons. Saw it with the Clippers, especially in the playoffs against Memphis. Saw it with the Knicks last season a lot of times on league pass. He can still do the job on both ends, but especially on the defensive side. Just admit that the Lakers dropped the ball on that one and clearly didn't prioritize defense (not shockingly sadly).

Well, Antoni doesn't know that defense exists...

But I'm not sure what exactly went down. There had been multiple reports about the Lakers interest in Kenyon Martin. But the decision ultimately was Kenyon's. So what if Kenyon just chose the Knicks because he felt they obviously have the better chance of contending than the Lakers?

#47 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,237 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yeah. Just make sure he doesn't smoke before games.

Or at all. He's professional athlete... He shouldn't be doing these things.

Id rather him smoke weed than drink. All these guys go to clubs and get drunk all the time. That is horrible for them. Its full of calories and is terrible for your body. Weed has 0 calories, no hang over, and really doesn't do anything to hurt any type of athleticism. 

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:46 PM

You're too kind. I personally wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt as much as you are, especially since this isn't the first time he's been available for cheap and we didn't go out and grab him. It just saddens me more than anything cause the other options are so much more inferior overall than the quality of player K-Mart still is.

yo.

#49 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Id much rather get a defensive player like Brewer or Thomas. However if Beasley is a possibility then you get him because he fits MDAs offence. He also would be another guy like Young, Farmar and Johnson, who have a chip on their shoulder and need to jump start their career. The Lakers are a also a team he would want to play for, and he was only minutes away from being one a couple years back.

#50 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 5,603 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:51 PM

You're too kind. I personally wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt as much as you are, especially since this isn't the first time he's been available for cheap and we didn't go out and grab him. It just saddens me more than anything cause the other options are so much more inferior overall than the quality of player K-Mart still is.

True. But better than him signing with the Bobcats for the minimum lol. That would prove that the Lakers didn't try pursuing him because they have much more to offer. :P

#51 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Doesn't really matter....a team under the cap will pick him up off waivers and pay a small portion of his contract.

Is he a bad defender?  LOL...no worse than LO.  And he's faster and stronger than LO.  And he's a bonafide scorer, 10x more aggressive on that end than LO.

So if it's Beasley or LO, I'd pick Beasley.  If it's Beasley and any other tweener who is known for defense, I'd pick the other tweener.

Right now, we don't have anyone to guard the bigger 3's...Beasley could help there, if he had his mind right.  Just have to wait and see how things shake out on the roster and who will and won't be able to help us immediately.

#52 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:57 PM

Beasley is a steal for the minimum..

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#53 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:14 PM

indifferent about him at this point, sign him becasue we suck and he can score, other than that meh

bw1wOGf.png

#54 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,553 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Well, Antoni doesn't know that defense exists

That's why he got Ram is. D'antoni shouldn't be in charge of defense in any form in the first place.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#55 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 5,603 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:16 PM

That's why he got Ram is. D'antoni shouldn't be in charge of defense in any form in the first place.

Out of curiosity, where do you think the Lakers will rank in terms of defense?

#56 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Amazing how two years ago he was a 17 ppg player that shot 45% from the field. Since then his minutes have dipped to 23 mins the next year and 20 the year after. Even so, he's a steal for the vets minimum.

#57 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 5,603 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:43 PM

Doesn't really matter....a team under the cap will pick him up off waivers and pay a small portion of his contract.

Is he a bad defender?  LOL...no worse than LO.  And he's faster and stronger than LO.  And he's a bonafide scorer, 10x more aggressive on that end than LO.

So if it's Beasley or LO, I'd pick Beasley.  If it's Beasley and any other tweener who is known for defense, I'd pick the other tweener.

Right now, we don't have anyone to guard the bigger 3's...Beasley could help there, if he had his mind right.  Just have to wait and see how things shake out on the roster and who will and won't be able to help us immediately.

If it's Beasley or LO, I'd pick LO. If it's LO and any other tweener who is known for defense, I'd pick the other tweener.

Last year, Lamar Odom had a defensive rating of 1.72 while Beasley's was 0.88. They both played the similar amount of minutes while Odom played a few more games. 

With Odom, you have a possibility of a resurgence. If not, at the least he can REBOUND. A rebounder would definitely help the Lakers next season. Of course you have the Kardashian drama to go along with Lamar.

With Beasley, you'll have a player that's involved with speeding, marijuana use, sexual assault, etc. Multiple times. 

Heck he'll probably be playing well for the Lakers and then go to jail for something idiotic again. 

#58 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:45 PM

As well as he's shown to still be a capable scorer when he got time.

I remember him going for 25 against golden state as well as okc.

If on a night Wesley is off offensively I don't mind having beasley as a secondary offensive option at that spot.

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#59 Julien

Julien

Rookie

• 1,025 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:56 PM

For vet min, let's do it.

#60 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 5,603 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:58 PM

As well as he's shown to still be a capable scorer when he got time.

I remember him going for 25 against golden state as well as okc.

If on a night Wesley is off offensively I don't mind having beasley as a secondary offensive option at that spot.

He went for 27 points against our Lakers this past season. 

He shows up every five games or so. Even so, he's too much of an off-court problem. And not exactly one of the Lakers need.

Had the Lakers signed Ronnie Brewer or Kenyon Martin instead of Elias Harris, then going for Beasley for the extra scoring punch would make more sense (though I'd still want more defenders/rebounders and not Beasley who gets in trouble like every month lol )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users