Photo

Michael Beasley released, will Lakers take a look? (Pg. 23)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
636 replies to this topic

#21 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,572 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Beasley around all that Cali good? Come on now....

2hf753r.jpg

#22 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 817 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:14 PM

put this guy on rehab
thats where he should be right now

#23 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,031 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:17 PM

put this guy on rehab
thats where he should be right now

Hahaha.

I mean, he can score and have hot stretches, but he doesn't have the championship-mentality. It seems all fun and games to him.

#24 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yeah. Just make sure he doesn't smoke before games.

Or at all. He's professional athlete... He shouldn't be doing these things.

I could see not having him smoke before games, he has an obligation to his team to follow the protocol and give the games his entire focus. At all, though? He is a professional athlete for a reason, just like Michael Phelps. He is also an adult. We can't be in the business of controlling other people's lives in the aspect of what they do to themselves, that is the mindset that let our government get out of hand. The best we can do is control what people do to others (e.g. theft, violence, etc.)

If the Suns waive Beasley, the Lakers should definitely pursue. I think he would bring forth a noticeable contribution.

the locker room problems he could create,

There were some people saying this about Artest before we acquired him. I know the comparison is different, his defense was awesome, but still.

Edited by -Wade-, August 07, 2013 - 12:26 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#25 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,045 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Yea its is different from Artest, with him you were worried about tempers flaring or just confrontations with Kobe or the coaching staff. For Beasley, its more like you are just waiting for him to slip, and when he does still facepalm.  H seems like a mellow guy and I can't remember any teammates ever complaining about his general attitude.

Big difference though, I don't think Beasley's laid back approach would appeal to Kobe's 'character', in that sense drama could spring up similar to Howard not liking Kobe's approach.

Edited by Ven, August 07, 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#26 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:31 PM

That is a fair point, but I just don't think I would pass up the opportunity of signing simply on the speculation of how his character would fit. See: D12

Everyone has a different character and it is way too hard to speculate as to how it would fit within any given system. Howard's personality was always a questionable fit with Kobe. Did his character stop us from acquiring him? No, we looked at what he could contribute to the team.

Beasley's character may be questionable, but from a contributing point of view, I think he would help the Lakers more than hurt them. It is a gamble, but for the vets min, I'd do it.

Edited by -Wade-, August 07, 2013 - 12:36 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#27 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,031 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:34 PM

That is a fair point, but I just don't think I would pass up the opportunity of signing simply on the speculation of how his character would fit. See: D12

Everyone has a different character and it is way too hard to speculate as to how it would fit within any given system.

To your previous post, Metta averaged 17.1 ppg and was an elite perimeter defender right before coming to LA. 

With Beasley, you would get probably 10 ppg, perhaps a negative locker room presence, and no defense. 

Lakers don't need another scorer. They need a defender/rebounder. Any scoring with that would be a bonus.

#28 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hell yea beasley would be the best sf we would have

#29 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:38 PM

To your previous post, Metta averaged 17.1 ppg and was an elite perimeter defender right before coming to LA. 

With Beasley, you would get probably 10 ppg, perhaps a negative locker room presence, and no defense. 

Lakers don't need another scorer. They need a defender/rebounder. Any scoring with that would be a bonus.

There were some people saying this about Artest before we acquired him. I know the comparison is different, his defense was awesome, but still.

wKNsigp.png

#30 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,554 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:39 PM

If we want a good defender, we need to trade for one.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#31 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,031 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:41 PM

I know, I read that part. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did.

But the main part I'm trying to insinuate is that Metta was a better scorer at that time compared to what Beasley is now.

And Beasley isn't one of the Laker's needs. 

#32 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,185 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Beasley would be another player that 'wants' to be here. I don't want him to go to Miami..that's for sure. Jobse is a guy he idolizes, so who knows.

Ram is said we'd need players to fill the wing so I don't mind Beasley getting open shots. If we wanted Copeland, we'd get Beasley for the same reasons.

My only fear is the combo of him and Nick Young.

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#33 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,880 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:50 PM

kush in LA is better than hot ass AZ. Sign him 

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#34 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,031 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Beasley would be another player that 'wants' to be here. I don't want him to go to Miami..that's for sure. Jobse is a guy he idolizes, so who knows.

Ram is said we'd need players to fill the wing so I don't mind Beasley getting open shots. If we wanted Copeland, we'd get Beasley for the same reasons.

My only fear is the combo of him and Nick Young.

I'm not sure if Beasley wants to be here. Well, I can't find any sources. 

I mean, everyone loves being in LA but being a Laker is an entire different story. Nick Young and Wesley Johnson DREAMED of being Lakers. Jordan Farmar kept up with the Lakers overseas and WANTED to return. Dwight Howard loves LA in the sense that he and Harden go there to workout, but ultimately he chose to be a Rocket.

I was hoping the Lakers would sign Ronnie Brewer as the defensive wing, but that doesn't seem likely with the addition of Elias Harris. I'd much rather get Odom now with his ability to rebound and perhaps provide some defense.

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 07, 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#35 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:55 PM

I agree wholeheartedly,

we need more defense before we need offense. I originally came to this site to get all of my basketball news from the board. It is filled with intelligent posters who have a lot of interesting perspective regarding the basketball world. I am a huge basketball fan and participant, but this just isn't one of my strong skills...

I'm curious, who would we be interested in signing for defensive purposes, before seeking a potential Beasley?

wKNsigp.png

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:01 PM

We can't have a guy pulling stuff like this on the bench:

tVdHg.gif

Not even Jason Collins would go that far.

Only if Lamar signs as well.  Then we have the  Cheech and Chong of the NBA.

Don't forget Swaggy P. It looks like he gets on some of that funk that sweet that nasty that gushy stuff.

If the Suns waive Beasley, the Lakers should definitely pursue. I think he would bring forth a noticeable contribution.

Beasley's character may be questionable, but from a contributing point of view, I think he would help the Lakers more than hurt them. It is a gamble, but for the vets min, I'd do it.

I agree with you, but in along those lines then, why don't we then trade Blake (shed some of his salary) and then sign Delonte West, who would easily be our then 2nd best PG and by far best defender?

yo.

#37 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'm not sure if Beasley wants to be here. Well, I can't find any sources.
I mean, everyone loves being in LA but being a Laker is an entire different story. Nick Young and Wesley Johnson DREAMED of being Lakers. Jordan Farmar kept up with the Lakers overseas and WANTED to return. Dwight Howard loves LA in the sense that he and Harden go there to workout, but ultimately he chose to be a Rocket.

I was hoping the Lakers would sign Ronnie Brewer as the defensive wing, but that doesn't seem likely with the addition of Elias Harris. I'd much rather get Odom now with his ability to rebound and perhaps provide some defense.

Beasley's favorite team in the Lakers. He even mains them in 2k ;)

I'd love Ronnie Brewer too. But I won't hate if we get either. I don't get why people are worried about locker room problems when a majority of them would take delonte west in a heartbeat.

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#38 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,031 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Beasley's favorite team in the Lakers. He even mains them in 2k ;)

I'd love Ronnie Brewer too. But I won't hate if we get either.

We only have one roster spot to fill right? To my knowledge, the last would be left unsigned for now.

So you'd rather get Beasley over Odom or perhaps Tyrus Thomas?

Lakers have enough offense. A defensive-minded rebounder or a rim protector would help the Lakers much more.

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:15 PM

We only have one roster spot to fill right? To my knowledge, the last would be left unsigned for now.

Lakers have enough offense. A defensive-minded rebounder or a rim protector would help the Lakers much more.

Right. That's why they passed on K-Mart. [expletive]in' stupid. He's a Knick again now, but they could've gotten' him if they would've prioritized defense enough.

yo.

#40 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Lakers only have about 4 capable scorers. We all are saying we have enough offense.

Kobe, Nash, Young, Gasol. Everyone else is a wildcard(Johnson) or gets their points via hustling. Thomas gives some defense but his offense is very questionable. Ronnie is a guy id love. But when it comes to scoring there's maybe 2 or 3 people we could rely on for offense.

I think the Lakers are looking at Beaslry cause of his scoring but also what Rambis said.

He said recently 'its easier to teach an offensive guy defense than it is teaching a defensive guy offense.'

But like I said I'd tame Beasley or Brewer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users