Photo

Michael Beasley released, will Lakers take a look? (Pg. 23)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
636 replies to this topic

#361 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:03 AM

7 teams, wow.  Butler is one of those rare guys that I don't hold that against him.  He is just good enough to be traded, not good enough (and getting old) to build around.

#362 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,310 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 29, 2013 - 12:52 PM

And only a few weeks ago did the GM say that Caron Butler and Eric Bledsoe were gonna be part of the future of that organization...

suns6.jpg

Phoenix is tanking for Wiggins/Parker.  Beasley is likely the next to go.  

Can't blame them.   Frye's future is also in question with his heart problems, so they are just gonna embrace 2 things

1) sucking
2) trying to beat the Lakers.

I watched that live....The best part was the cheerleaders at the start of the show. :D

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 02:29 PM

^ I'd like to see that. Any clips?

Worse thing for Butler too is he just straight up got traded for scrubs. I mean I'm not sure I've ever even heard of those guys before and I have league pass, lol. That's gotta' be insulting.

yo.

#364 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,576 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted August 29, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Now that the Suns trade Caron. They could waived Beasley. Let's see what happens on the 31st.

#365 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted August 29, 2013 - 03:10 PM

I don't care but I wouldn't mind.

o9F7jiv.png

#366 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,645 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 29, 2013 - 03:12 PM

With Beasley our bench suddenly looks like this

Blake / Farmar
Young / Meeks
Beasley
Kelly / Harris
Kaman

If they sign Lamar as well that fills each roster spot and the bench becomes

Blake / Farmar
Young / Meels
Beasley
Odom / Kelly
Kaman

Deepest bench in the league imo and with a starting lineup with Kobe Nash and Pau having that much depth I think we'd be a pretty darn feared matchup for any team.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#367 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Clippers bench is alot deeper IMO.

Collison= Blake/ Farmer

Crawford>> Young/ Meeks (not even close!)

Barnes> Beasley

Jamison>> Kelly/ Harris (its closer with Odom but he's not on  the roster today)

Mullens<< Kaman (assuming Kaman stays healthy)

As far as starters:

Paul>> Nash

Kobe>> Reddick (if healthy, big if though)

Dudley> Johnson

Griffin>> Gasol

Jordan= Hill

If Kobe is hurt, they have a clear advantage at every position except C which is close.  Bench, only clear advantage we have is at C.

#368 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,550 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:42 AM

^ Collison > Blake/Farmar in my opinion. Which only adds to your point though, I agree the Clippers still probably have the most depth.

#369 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Collison= Blake/ Farmer

Barnes> Beasley

Jamison>> Kelly/ Harris (its closer with Odom but he's not on  the roster today)

As far as starters:

Paul>> Nash

Dudley> Johnson

Griffin>> Gasol

Jordan= Hill

If Kobe is hurt, they have a clear advantage at every position except C which is close.  Bench, only clear advantage we have is at C.

I think your ./< signs are off

Griffin is better than gasol, but it's so marginal in the roles that they will be expected to say, it will end up more like equal

barnes isn't better than Beasley. He was last season, maybe, but it's just one is on a team that was losing on purpose for better or for worse.

Is Dudley better than wes Johnson, or shall I say will he be this season. it's questionable.

Jamison at his age, may be due for the type of year Steve had last season

I look at our perimeter

Kobe,Nash,Johnson,Young, Meeks,Farmar, Blake-one defender (potential) And a few smart players, couple scorers, some floor stretchers, some dish and pitch guys. I like the overall versatility.

Clippers

Paul,Crawford,Collison,Reddick Dudley,Barnes-two defenders, one shooter, a floor stretcher, a scorer, and two penetrate and dish guys.

the problem with the Clippers in my opinion is some of their line-ups won't fit as good, so let's say you have Blake, Nash and Kobe vs Collison,Paul and Crawford...The shooting for the Clippers is compromised.

The starters are right, but that's the Chris Paul show, and Reddick and Dudley HAVE to stay healthy for your team to win, because Barnes and Crawford or even Dudley and Crawford, will hurt you in certain match-ups.

One thing about Gasol, Kaman or Hill is that Mullens won't get a big rebound over them, and we know that DeAndre won't score in the 4th.

#370 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:46 AM

As far as starters:

Paul>> Nash

Dudley> Johnson

Griffin>> Gasol

Jordan= Hill

OH NO, when did we trade Kobe for Reddick, we're really screwed now!!!!!

o9F7jiv.png

#371 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Majesty you are simply looking at bodies and not even considering how they would work as a unit.  Even still being a deep team means very little when the team isn't very good to begin with.  The Heat have a bench just as good, hell the Knicks have a better bench than we would.  Means little. 

Heat: Cole, Ray, Birdman, Haslem and Battier

Knicks: Prigioni/Udrih, JR, Metta maybe?, Kmart and Amare

Nets: Livingston, Jet, Ak47, Joker (reggie evans nickname here at home), Blatche

Clippers: already mentioned above

Pacers: Gibson, Stephenson, Copeland, Scola, Mihimi

Cavs: Jack, Miles, Bennett, Clark, Varajao/Bynum/Zeller (2 of 3 will be off the bench)

All of those benches are better than the Lakers bench w/ Beasley.  The best player off our bench would still be Chris Kaman and he's a C...

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#372 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Barnes is a better bball player than Beasley if you are trying to win games.  We know Beasley is much more talented player and higher potential if you believe he still has some but on a team that is trying to win Barnes is much better player to have.  Epitome of a glue guy. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#373 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Barnes is not Battier, that's the epitome of a glue guy.

barnes misses big shots usually and is a hot tempered dude who can cost you a game.

Beasley hit the GW over Pau this season sans Dwight

#374 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:30 PM

He hit 1 game winner, so what.  What evidence do you have that Barnes cost teams games?  Plenty of players have cost their teams games. Beasley has clearly shown he is clueless in a team setting.  He's good for burst of scoring and thats about it.  Barnes does the little things. 

Barnes is not Battier, that's the epitome of a glue guy.

barnes misses big shots usually and is a hot tempered dude who can cost you a game.

Beasley hit the GW over Pau this season sans Dwight

#375 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,753 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Whoops, looks like a tried to trade Kobe.  That's what I get for trying to work at the same time. always gets in the way of fun.

#376 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,211 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:49 PM

When do they have to release him by?

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Phoenix Suns say Caron Butler trade was not made for Michael Beasley

yo.

#378 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,645 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Collison= Blake/ Farmer

Barnes> Beasley

As far as starters:

Paul>> Nash

Dudley> Johnson

Griffin>> Gasol

Jordan= Hill

You're right on Crawford BUT It's not as "not even close" as you want to make it, this isn't Crawford of 3 years ago.

For all people talk about age slowing down, I would love to see how Crawford does this year at 34 and see what he has left. 

For the record he shot 42% from the field and 37% from three last year coming off the bench for the Clippers.

That's near identical to what Nick Young was able to do in Philly off the bench.    The only difference is Crawford played 32 minutes a game while Young played 23.  Crawford has had better years, that's why JR Smith won 6th man of the year and not him and turning 34 you need to wonder if he's gonna keep that up or how much he's gonna be able to keep that up.  So we'll see.  I will say one thing though, playing those minutes caught up to Crawford and he slowed down SIGNIFICANTLY in the playoffs and had Clipper fans asking "Where's Nick Young when you need him?"  :laughing:      So we'll see how he's managed this year.

Barnes better than Beasley?   :laughing:   That's all I have to say about that.

Redick is about the same as Farmar and Blake, the difference is both Farmar and Blake can do more in their all around games.  Redick can only shoot threes and if he dribbles the ball it's going to be a turnover.  I'd actually put him and Meeks in about the same category in terms of style.  Both one dimensional and both three point primary shooters, Redick shot 36% from three last year Meeks shot 35.4% not so much difference.  

There is no question that even a 40% Kobe Bryant is better than Redick.  It's not a contest.  Redick is only good at one thing and if he puts the ball on the floor he's about as successful as Meeks would be :laughing:

Collison ahead of Blake or Farmar?

Here is where I differ.  I watch Collison, a lot of Collison.   To be honest in a half court set the dude isn't too impressive, he is one dimensional in one important aspect. 

All he has is speed and the most success he has is in the fast break and when wide open being force fed open shots. (67% of his shots were jumpers, 40% of those jumpers were assisted on)  and his shots up close which he took 34% of his shots, 32% were assisted on.  That means that 72% of the shots he takes are assisted on....

Otherwise in the halfcourt set or running PnR he's inconsistent, has no idea how to play pick and roll and often gets lost in a halfcourt set and isn't a very smart passer.   Both Blake AND Farmar are better at all those things than him.    If you're asking Collison to run the offense or to pick and roll effectively you're in trouble, if you're asking him to be an off-ball mover that doesn't have the ball in his hand very often then you're asking the right.  In THIS scenario he would probably have better success with Chris Paul next to him than he would with Crawford or Redick. 

NOW in the open court, oh yeah Collison is a BEAST!! But that's all he has. he's near useless in a halfcourt set if he's asked to initiate an offense. His speed is really his only asset but in terms of being a point guard, he's very lacking.

So jury's out on Collison till he at least knows how the heck to run pick and roll as a point guard cause if Doc is gonna put it in his hands and ask him to run the offense it's gonna be a long night.  Definitely a downgrade from Bledsoe.

Jamison is ahead of Harris and Kelly, I agree. 

We haven't seen either of them in an NBA game, and if Jamison's game continues to decline that may not be the case. 

For all the crap people talk about age it seems like they are neglecting the near 34 year old Crawford, and the 37 year old Jamison.  

See the thing is this, Jamison can hit shots if he's wide open and can be an effective cutter.

But that's about it.   He wouldn't be able to defend Kelly or Harris and I'm just guessing on that but Jamison has never been a defender, and another year of old legs isn't gonna change that.

Last season he was playing so terribly at the start of the season, and this was before the injury.   Remember had Jordan Hill never gotten injured Jamison never would have seen ANY playtime.

Now to his credit he did have a good close to the end of the season and was a good scorer off the bench for us.  But another year left you've got to wonder how much the guy has left.   His role on this team will pretty much be to hit open threes and cut occasionally.   Which is  fine but I'd like to see how he plays next year before assuming how much he has left.  I do know one thing, he isn't gonna play the type of defense Doc wants so we'll see what happens there.

The rest of your opinions I'm more or less in agreement with and if I disagree it's not really for anything other than preference.

We'll agree to disagree then and we'll see how each does in the season.

#379 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,645 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:16 PM

The Suns have been hitting the phone lines in recent weeks doing everything they can to trade Beasley, but have been finding zero takers. It’s likely he’ll be released in the coming weeks as the Suns need to trim their roster, which stands at 17.

http://fansided.com/...ichael-beasley/

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:17 PM

^ Weeks? I thought this was almost over.

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users