Photo

Pau and D'Antoni insinuate that the decision to bench Gasol was made to please Dwight Howard

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,861 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:15 AM

It wasn't all MDA.  Pau at one point when he did get post ups was putting up abysmal numbers in the post.  I'm not knocking Pau b/c I like Pau.  That trade brought us out of the age we may be reentering lol.  I just think LA had bad foresight when dealing with him.  We had like 2-3 different decent trades out there in the 11-12 season for Pau that we didnt bite on.  He's a poor fit with another emerging or already dominant center.  When they saw Bynum could handle a 35MPG and Pau was putting up 17/10 they should have fleeced any team willing to part with some good value. 

Beasley, D Williams and Barea was on the table IIRC and so was Lowry and Scola for Pau.  Both of those trades would have given us a trade exception and deeper team. 

You can't say he had a bad season after what position MDA put him in honestly lol and the fact that he was injured half the season but okay he's still not as good as he once was. Thats a given.

Some of you guys or should i say critics are mad unfair though. Pau's probably gonna retire a Laker so y'all should deal with it lol.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#62 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:22 PM

OK PJ it was his. Mike Brown and MDA have a role in Pau sucking major ass.

lmao

Pau Gasol is GONE

#63 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 08, 2013 - 01:23 PM

He's also one of the reasons they were battling for a last spot as well.  Can't credit him helping them get the 7th seed when he sucked half the year when he played which played a part in them being the 9th or 10th team in the West for weeks

Are you serious? You blame Pau Gasol? D'antoni had no clue how to play two bigs. He relegated Pau's strengths by placing him around the perimeter or outside the paint, which militated against his production. He even accepted the bench role to favor Dwight. 

It was the multiple injuries that hurt the Lakers in the end. And almost every player is accountable for that. You can't blame them for that. 

Bottom line, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. Pau showed up when it really mattered. 

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 08, 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#64 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,861 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Show me where I totally blamed Pau....

Are you serious? You blame Pau Gasol? D'antoni had no clue how to play two bigs. He relegated Pau's strengths by placing him around the perimeter or outside the paint, which militated against his production. He even accepted the bench role to favor Dwight. 

It was the multiple injuries that hurt the Lakers in the end. And almost every player is accountable for that. You can't blame them for that. 

Bottom line, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. Pau showed up when it really mattered. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#65 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,163 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 08, 2013 - 03:48 PM

It mattered the whole season.  

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#66 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Show me where I totally blamed Pau....

I never said you totally blamed Pau. But Pau certainly does deserve credit for yielding the Lakers into the playoffs. And I expect his offensive production to remain consistent next year. I can't really say anything about the defense though... 

#67 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:02 PM

It mattered the whole season.  

Well sure. It matters every game. Every quarter. Every possession. 

Often times a player deserves blame, other times not so much. But forcing a player to adapt without properly utilizing his strengths certainly shouldn't place blame on the player.

#68 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:16 PM

But forcing a player to adapt without properly utilizing his strengths certainly shouldn't place blame on the player.

What are you talking about? Pau Gasol has been playing either PF or C for his entire career and has alternated with Andrew Bynum and Dwight Howard on numerous occasions. If you're getting paid 20 million dollars to play a [expletive]ing sport, then your ass better be prepared to do your job and do it well on a consistent basis.

What happened when Pau Gasol fizzled out in PJ's last season? Poor guy was forced to adapt to the triangle and that sorry [expletive] Phil Jackson did not properly utilize his strengths.  <_<

What were we running with MB? 4/1? Ah [expletive] it...it matters not...you know why? Because Pau Gasol was reduced to trash by Mike Brown and his inabilities, right?

I'll lay a lot of blame at the feet of Mike D'Antoni but what I will not do is blame him for the cesspool that is Pau Gasol. Sorry mutha[expletive]a was ABYSMAL all season long.

There are at least two more clowns that need to be purged from this organization.

Edited by Windu, August 08, 2013 - 04:17 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#69 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:30 PM

What are you talking about? Pau Gasol has been playing either PF or C for his entire career and has alternated with Andrew Bynum and Dwight Howard on numerous occasions. If you're getting paid 20 million dollars to play a [expletive]ing sport, then your ass better be prepared to do your job and do it well on a consistent basis.

What happened when Pau Gasol fizzled out in PJ's last season? Poor guy was forced to adapt to the triangle and that sorry [expletive] Phil Jackson did not properly utilize his strengths.  <_<

What were we running with MB? 4/1? Ah [expletive] it...it matters not...you know why? Because Pau Gasol was reduced to trash by Mike Brown and his inabilities, right?

I'll lay a lot of blame at the feet of Mike D'Antoni but what I will not do is blame him for the cesspool that is Pau Gasol. Sorry mutha[expletive]a was ABYSMAL all season long.

There are at least two more clowns that need to be purged from this organization.

When Phil Jackson was coaching, Pau was frequently featured in the post in the triangle offense. It allowed Pau Gasol to have room and freely operate in the post. Sometimes it was Andrew Bynum in the post with Gasol utilizing his passing skills. In Phil's final two seasons, 40% of his field goal attempts came from the post.

Next Mike Brown comes in. He featured Bynum more and roughly 30% of Pau's field goal attempts came from the post. Pau still managed to score 17 points along with 10 rebounds since he was still able to shoot jumpers near the painted area.

Finally, Mike D'antoni comes in. Pau's field goal attempts in the post reduce to the absolute nadir of 20%. Since Howard was a poor spacer, he needed much more room to operate than Bynum did. And that pushed Pau much further out even away from the paint. In 49 games, Pau attempted a career high of 28 three-pointers. Pau isn't a Dirk Nowitzki. He wasn't properly used and getting mad at him for not making three-pointers when it's not his strongest strength is low (Not directed towards you).

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 08, 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#70 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,163 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:32 PM

When Phil Jackson was coaching, Pau was frequently featured in the post in the triangle offense. It allowed Pau Gasol to have room and freely operate in the post. Sometimes it was Andrew Bynum in the post with Gasol utilizing his passing skills. In Phil's final two seasons, 40% of his field goal attempts came from the post.

So what happened to Gasol then?   Cause the downfall started in Phil's final year before Mike Brown even got there.

#71 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Next Mike Brown comes in. He featured Bynum more and roughly 30% of Pau's field goal attempts came from the post. Pau still managed to score 17 points along with 10 rebounds since he was still able to shoot jumpers near the painted area.

Finally, Mike D'antoni comes in. Pau's field goal attempts in the post reduce to the absolute nadir of 20%. Since Howard was a poor spacer, he needed much more room to operate than Bynum did. And that pushed Pau much further out even away from the paint. In 49 games, Pau attempted a career high of 28 three-pointers. Pau isn't a Dirk Nowitzki. He wasn't properly used and getting mad at him for not making three-pointers when it's not his strongest strength is low (Not directed towards you).

I know what PJ's system calls for and the [expletive] works brilliantly more often than not but when a player like Pau Gasol comes along and decides to bow out like a [expletive]...there is NOTHING a coach can do...not even the great Phil Jackson. Hell, PJ had to chastise this soft ass player like he was a 7 foot baby. I've seen it many many many times where Pau Gasol has excellent low post position and either easily relinquishes said position because his opponent just bullies the [expletive] outta him OR he shies away from the physical contact and settles for those "won't break a sweat" jumpers. 

Look at that Dallas series...look at the NO series (the one where Carl Landry shat all over him). Remember now, this is under Phil Jackson.

Is it really Mike Brown's fault that Pau Gasol was pwned by Serge Ibaka and Kenneth Faried?

Pau Gasol has been showing the city of LA what he has become for a few years now. How much more obvious can it be???

Pau Gasol is GONE

#72 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,163 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:13 PM

I know what PJ's system calls for and the [expletive] works brilliantly more often than not but when a player like Pau Gasol comes along and decides to bow out like a [expletive]...there is NOTHING a coach can do...not even the great Phil Jackson. Hell, PJ had to chastise this soft ass player like he was a 7 foot baby. I've seen it many many many times where Pau Gasol has excellent low post position and either easily relinquishes said position because his opponent just bullies the [expletive] outta him OR he shies away from the physical contact and settles for those "won't break a sweat" jumpers. 

Look at that Dallas series...look at the NO series (the one where Carl Landry shat all over him). Remember now, this is under Phil Jackson.

Is it really Mike Brown's fault that Pau Gasol was pwned by Serge Ibaka and Kenneth Faried?

Pau Gasol has been showing the city of LA what he has become for a few years now. How much more obvious can it be???

For as "terrible" as people say Mike Brown used Gasol, Gasol stillwent 17/10 that year.  Which showed he still had capability to be productive.  The problem was of course in the playoffs when matchups matter and he actually had to go against people when Faried BULLIED him... and forced Gasol to shoot fadeaways when directly under the basket.

Pau was productive under Phil and under Mike Brown(in fact he STARTED this season under Mike brown playing his best basketball in a while) the problem with Gasol is when the playoffs come and he's expected to play with the same productivity, matchups show where he's truly at physically. 

This year showed he can no longer stay with 4s, not only that but he could barely jump, not only that but his shooting percentage was LOW in the post which was his most effective position. 

For everyone that said "the post is where Gasol is best" what did he shoot from the post? 30 something percent? X_X

Pau has been falling off for a while now, it isn't because of Phil, or Brown or D'antoni.  It's been Pau.

Now he SAYS he's rededicating himself this summer and focusing primarily on getting in the best shape possible and he wants to be theb est big man in the game again and has been doing 3 a days since coming back from Syria. 

While this doesn't rank up there with "I'm a beast" he said in the Olympics(before showing up to camp out of shape) we'll see.

But I agree with Windu in essence that the regular season is not where I will judge Gasol.  I will judge Gasol in the playoffs shall we make it on how he plays when matchups and defenses can actually be made just for him.

That's when it matters.

But if he puts up 12/8 in the season, I'm not gonna expect 17/10 in the postseason either.

Edited by Majesty, August 08, 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#73 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:20 PM

I don't really think PF/C are prepared to stay out in the 3-point line. Well, not traditionally. 

@Majesty

When you take someone out of they're natural position, and then suddenly expect them to fit perfectly back in with a another superstar center you're gonna have a bad time. Especially with no system. 

Edited by Ham, August 08, 2013 - 05:22 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#74 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,163 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:22 PM

I don't really think PF/C are prepared to stay out in the 3-point line. Well, not traditionally. 

Not if you ask these two

16685403911.jpg

#75 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Not if you ask these two

16685403911.jpg

I wish this picture didn't exist.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#76 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,163 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:38 PM

D'antoni on what will be different this year

The bottom line is, everybody plays to their strengths, everybody has their egos and when you trust each other than things can be said that get you back in line a little bit. Maybe it gets exaggerated a little bit here and there and they can talk it out. Like I said, the biggest thing is they do trust each other. We didn’t have a lot of that last year. It just didn’t happen. We had a lot of people that didn’t trust each other and that kind of was our woes. So, this year, we’re looking to improve that a lot."

D'antoni on the times that he'll play Kaman and Gasol together, what they could take advantage of.

"I think it can go both ways," D'Antoni told ESPNLA.com last week. "I think they’re very complimentary to each other in the sense of both of them can play 15-feet and in, both of them can post up, both of them move the ball real well, they can pass. So, I think their games will be kind of easily put together and I think sometimes, depending on the mismatches, who has the better back-to-the-basket opportunities and who needs to space a little bit. So, I feel a lot of things can happen and both of them can pass the ball real well, so, I just see them kind of blending in together pretty easily. A lot easier than it was last year (with Dwight Howard), let’s put it that way."

Sounds to me like in the times he'll play Gasol and Kaman we'll be running horns.  

Good choice.

D'antoni on using Gasol in the pick and roll as well as the post

D’Antoni said next season he plans to go through Gasol down low, to give him opportunities at the elbow where he’s “devastating” and to have him run pick-and-rolls where Gasol can either receive the pass for his own scoring play or be positioned to make the next pass -- ideally, either a kickout or a lob -- to find an open teammate.

So basically a lot of this

#77 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,163 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:05 PM

D'antoni says the Lakers will RUN next year.... SLOWLY  :laughing: 

D'Antoni on if the style the Lakers, with more appropriate pieces, will play next season will fit his liking ...

"We’d like to do a lot of things," D'Antoni told ESPNLA.com last week. "We got a little bit more athletic guys and we have a lot of players who will have to play. It was a little bit of an exaggeration last year that we didn’t run anything (I normally run).

"You can say there will be a lot of pick-and-rolls. The biggest thing we’ll try to instill is just spacing, ball movement and getting players in positions where they’re comfortable. Whether that’s something we’ve done in the past or it’s something new, somebody has some ideas, I really don’t care as long as we move the basketball, make quick decisions and spread the floor.

"Then everybody will go at their own pace. A lot of times people say, ‘Well, he’s not going to be able to run.’ Well, yeah, we’ll just run a little slower. Everybody goes at their own pace. Nobody runs 100 percent flat-out all the time. So, we’ll be able to do a lot of the stuff that everybody likes, but again, there are certain elements, basic stuff that every coach tries to instill and I do think we have the personnel and the people that are skilled enough. We’ve improved our outside shooting which is used for spacing. We’re able to go into the post even more at the end of games because we’re not worried about getting fouled, so there’s a lot of things we can do different from last year and we’ll do it with skilled players. I’m excited about what we can do. "

it’s something new, somebody has some ideas

somebody has some ideas

phil-jackson.jpg

#78 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I agree that Pau has been undeniably soft in the postseason the last few years. It's a combination of his age, the strengths of his opponents, and a weaker mental fortitude in general.

But I give credit to Pau for this last playoffs when you take all the factors that occurred during the season into consideration. Plantar fasciitis + knee tendinosis in both knees and yet he still produced 14+ ppg along with 11.5 rebounds against Duncan. Sure he got more touches since Kobe and Nash were out but most of the time that also leads to more pressure. And you're not going against any scrub in Duncan nor even Splitter who isn't a bad defender. 

If Pau can stay healthy, I see him averaging at least 16/10 in the playoffs. It's contract year. Pau knows he's been a no-show in the past playoffs. He has the post all to himself, no excuses. In addition, a healthy Steve Nash can do wonders for Gasol.

Guys, I guess we'll have to just wait and see. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users