Photo

Pau and D'Antoni insinuate that the decision to bench Gasol was made to please Dwight Howard

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,846 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Pau is a natural center.

#22 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,612 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:11 PM

When I get home i'll post some lineup facts from basketball reference.  Pau/Bynum were never a full time combo for much time at all.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Pau Gasol is most productive as a center, and the league is also turning into a smaller one...so at PF, he's getting burned to the rim quite often.

But that didn't stop him from playing PF after our two championships, and it also hasn't stopped him from avoiding the post when Dwight and Bynum were sitting.

Gasol was pulled because he was playing poorly, missing a lot of shots. His percentage was down, significantly, and his defense was dreadful.

At center, he would be closer to the rim, have an easier time defending (which wouldn't improve him THAT much, but help slightly), and he'd be able to facilitate from inside out.

Will he actually drop down into the post, though? Who knows. He has refused to often.

#24 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Gasol was pulled because he was playing poorly, missing a lot of shots. His percentage was down, significantly, and his defense was dreadful.

This is what I wanted to say but I don't have the uh...tact...to discuss Pau Gasol anymore. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#25 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,592 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:38 PM

My bigger issue is Dwight not wanting to share the post with him. It makes sense considering how disengaged he was at times. Its all he knew though. But trying to cater to him with our lineup wasn't working. Makes sense now, especially with McHale who never ran his offense through a center and was last in the league in post ups saying he'd cater his offense to Dwight fully.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#26 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:48 PM

My bigger issue is Dwight not wanting to share the post with him. It makes sense considering how disengaged he was at times. Its all he knew though. But trying to cater to him with our lineup wasn't working. Makes sense now, especially with McHale who never ran his offense through a center and was last in the league in post ups saying he'd cater his offense to Dwight fully.

McHale will be able to.  Between Michael Olowokandi back in the mid-00's (whenever he coached that half a season in Minny), Al Jefferson's injury-prone season when McHale took over for Wittman for almost a full season, and Omer Asik in Houston...he hasn't really had a true post big man.  Kevin Garnett was great for that half a season of McHale's rookie year as a coach, but he wasn't going to pound the ball deep into the post and make teams suffer.

Also, I mentioned this back in November or December...D'Antoni, being the offensive genius many claim, should have been able to run a double-post motion for these two guys...but he couldn't, even when he finally accepted the team's ditching of his uptempo offense.  That's huge.  

I didn't expect Mike Brown to do it, since he's not an offensive-minded coach...and Phil wasn't going to, being fully dedicated to the triangle...but D'Antoni just refused it, or he's not as smart of an offensive coach as people make him out to be (he's not, by the way).

#27 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,592 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 02:02 PM

McHale will be able to.  Between Michael Olowokandi back in the mid-00's (whenever he coached that half a season in Minny), Al Jefferson's injury-prone season when McHale took over for Wittman for almost a full season, and Omer Asik in Houston...he hasn't really had a true post big man.  Kevin Garnett was great for that half a season of McHale's rookie year as a coach, but he wasn't going to pound the ball deep into the post and make teams suffer.

Also, I mentioned this back in November or December...D'Antoni, being the offensive genius many claim, should have been able to run a double-post motion for these two guys...but he couldn't, even when he finally accepted the team's ditching of his uptempo offense.  That's huge.  

I didn't expect Mike Brown to do it, since he's not an offensive-minded coach...and Phil wasn't going to, being fully dedicated to the triangle...but D'Antoni just refused it, or he's not as smart of an offensive coach as people make him out to be (he's not, by the way).

What do you see him doing with the lineup we currently have with Gasol at center?

#28 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,844 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 06, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Pau is a natural finesse center.

#29 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 06, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Pau played better off the bench. I don't see why he had such a problem with it.

#30 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,446 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 06, 2013 - 03:07 PM

I think he would have been great off the bench. He ain't a top 15 player anymore so swallow your pride and do what's best for the team. 

Edited by Harry Styles, August 06, 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#31 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,612 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 06, 2013 - 03:10 PM

If I remember right he came off the bench during the OKC game and kept the bench from bottoming out.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#32 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 03:12 PM

All these shots taken at Dwight make the Lakers look like the jealous ex-girlfriend. 

#33 Rickety Cricket

Rickety Cricket

Rookie

• 13 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 06, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Under Phil jackson he played Power Forward.  Last I check we got two rings out of it. 

The reason why Pau got bench is because Pau refused to play the way MDA wants him to play. Which is no post moves, just jump shots.  If Pau agrees to play like that Pau wouldn't be bench. This has nothing to do with D12 wanting Pau to be bench. What kind of crap is that?  Funny how Pau's view all of a sudden changed because I remember when they interviewed Pau he was obviously not happy with MDA. I dont remember him not happy wtih D12.   

Ummm wrong. Our main line up at the end of games during our title years was Pau at center and Lamar at the power forward.

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 03:37 PM

What do you see him doing with the lineup we currently have with Gasol at center?

Trying to survive.

#35 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,090 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 03:57 PM

All these shots taken at Dwight make the Lakers look like the jealous ex-girlfriend. 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#36 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 06, 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yea from Nash, to Antoni, to now Pau. They better far exceed the results from last season if Howard was apparently holding them that far back.

#37 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yea from Nash, to Antoni, to now Pau. They better far exceed the results from last season if Howard was apparently holding them that far back.

At this point, there's nothing D'Antoni can do to improve his image in my opinion. Gasol better put up 18 and 10 if Dwight was holding him back so much. 

#38 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,592 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Gasol: It was "frustrating" but I understood

nba_g_gasol_gb1_576.jpg

Some six months before the billboards appeared, in positioning Howard as the franchise's future, the Lakers put Pau Gasol in the past, and often, on the bench.

“We did have a free-agent market last year we had to be aware of, and you make certain arguments based on the future,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni told ESPNLosAngeles.com. “Whether they’re right or wrong, that’s the reality of it, and we went that way, but it was never meant to be a slight to (Gasol) or never meant to be that he was the cause of our problems.”

While health certainly had something to do with it -- Gasol’s knees, feet and head (a concussion) caused him to miss 33 games last season -- Gasol was aware of the ground shifting beneath him as the Lakers gravitated towards Howard.

“It was at times frustrating because of the reality of that specific situation,” Gasol told ESPNLosAngeles.com in a phone interview from Barcelona. “Obviously the franchise wanted Dwight to stay and everyone, or a lot of people, tried to make him comfortable and please him at times.”

Now, with Howard out of the picture, the Lakers’ Plan B is to go back to Plan A and make Gasol the team’s primary option down low.

“There was just a lot of factors last year that won’t come up this year,” D’Antoni said. “I even told (Gasol), you make decisions based a lot of times on the future that probably, if you were just doing the competitive, basketball thing, the decision would have been something else.”

“To me, it worked well when we started playing a little more inside-out instead of outside-in,” Gasol said. “One, we slowed the game down a little bit adjusting more to our personnel and our roster and then when there was better ball movement, whether if it was through the post or through the elbow or pick-and-rolls, when there was better ball movement we played better and our defense was better. We had better defensive balance, and things worked out better, so it is something we need to keep in mind.”

D’Antoni said next season he plans to go through Gasol down low, to give him opportunities at the elbow where he’s “devastating” and to have him run pick-and-rolls where Gasol can either receive the pass for his own scoring play or be positioned to make the next pass -- ideally, either a kickout or a lob -- to find an open teammate.

Read More Here: http://espn.go.com/b...paus-resurgence

Another interesting nugget

From Steve Nash... the guy Dwight called a bad teammate despite Dwight never wanting to run pick and roll with him or Kobe

He’ll have the starting point guard, Steve Nash, on his side to help those expectations from going the way of Dickens’ Pip.

“I thought the games that Pau and I played together where Dwight didn’t play, I thought we really played well together and the offense really flowed,” Nash told ESPNLosAngeles.com. “So, I’m not concerned about that. That’s going to be great.”

Editor's Note: Lakers went 3-0
Game 1: Kobe:17/12/8     Nash: 17/7/7  Gasol:   22/12
Game 2: Kobe: 18/5        Nash: 11/10/5  Gasol: 23/10
Game 3: Kobe: 21/4/4     Nash: 17/8/4   Gasol:  15/4(before going down with injury)

I think it's evident by now that the things Dwight said about Nash REALLY left a bad taste in his mouth, Nash is probably one of the most honest players in the league and has no filter even if it's not as harsh as Kobe's is.    So the fact he takes these "digs" at Dwight or the way he would throw hidden criticism at him during last year

Anyone remember to the question "Do you think ya'll can win a championship with Dwight Howard?"
Nash's response: "....He's a really hard worker." 

I don't think Nash liked the guy very much, especially after the whole refusing to run pick and rolls, never moving to make defenses pay for doubling you(unless standing still with my hands up counts) and the whole calling him a bad teammate at the team meeting thing happened probably sealed Nash's feelings as the 'bad teammate' comment apparently really hit him hard.

#39 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,846 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 06, 2013 - 10:58 PM

This is all political for D'Antoni and Pau is being a nice guy going along with it, as he is apt to do.

D'Antoni is trying to save face before th season even begins.  This just feels like a soft attempt to get on the fans' good side before th first ball is tipped.  I don't believe a word the guy mumbles or manages to stutter out.

#40 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,592 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:53 AM

Not without saying but I DID like the chemistry Nash and Pau were able to play with, as well as Kobe and Pau and liked our pick and roll in general.

Actually one of my fave games of last year, except the whole injury part X_X But I loved the atmosphere of the arena and the way we played that night. 

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 05:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users