Photo

Pau and D'Antoni insinuate that the decision to bench Gasol was made to please Dwight Howard

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,116 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 06, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Very interesting....

Mike D’Antoni Explains Decision To Play Howard, Bench Gasol Last Season
gasol-dantoni-350-300x300.jpg

Last season did not go as planned and was filled with unmet expectations. As the Lakers organization, team and fans are poised and ready to move on to next season with different expectations, certain decisions and moves are now being surfaced from last season, especially concerning Dwight Howard.

Last season, Dwight Howard was met with high expectations from the Lakers and the fans, even with the acknowledgment that his back wasn’t 100 percent. After all, that comes with the territory of being a Laker, which is also why the Lakers are the Lakers.

Therefore, Howard consumed a lot of the spotlight as many thought he had the potential to be the future of the franchise. This also played a major factor is Mike D’Antoni’s decision to play Howard over Pau Gasol, even benching Gasol frequently in key moments of games. D’Antoni explained that decision to Dave McMenamin of ESPNLA, saying:

“There was just a lot of factors last year that won’t come up this year,” D’Antoni said. “I even told (Gasol), you make decisions based a lot of times on the future that probably, if you were just doing the competitive, basketball thing, the decision would have been something else.”

Gasol echoed that sentiment by saying:

“Obviously the franchise wanted Dwight to stay and everyone, or a lot of people, tried to make him comfortable and please him at times.”

Read More Here: http://www.lakersnat...son/2013/08/06/

Suddenly it's all becoming clear...

Dwight always played 4 out 1 in offense or an offense that allowed him to have a wide open lane to go to work in, obviously having Pau in the paint with him threw a wrench in that, so it makes sense why suddenly Pau was moved to the perimeter or was benched.  

Since both Pau AND D'antoni are echoing this, on top of Steve Nash thinking the offense will "flow smoother" without Dwight makes me wonder how much of a part he played in Pau being played out of position.

If Pau says that the reason he was benched was to please Dwight and make him "comfortable" then that answers a lot of questions, apparently that was meant to please Dwight.

Apparently the Lakers STOPPED that, during the second half of the season when Pau returned and was geting triple doubles and Dwight had no choice but to play with him in the post, and they both brought out the best in each other, but what that was was evidence going forward that they weren't gonna change their offense anymore for Dwight cause obviously they'd found something that worked better than what Dwight wanted.  

So with that in mind I'm guessing Dwight didn't want to do that, especially because Houston pretty much said they'd change their entire offense for him while the Lakers said that they found something that worked with Dwight and Pau to close the season and that they could be productive both in the post.   Obviously Dwight disagreed.  So he went to the team that was gonna continue to cater to his needs as opposed to one that would make him play an effective style but one that he didn't want.    I'm guessing he pretty much either wanted Pau gone or off the bench.  No wonder he was so happy when Pau started hitting 3s and playing at stretch 4 and so "upset" when Pau was in the paint with him.

All starting to make sense.

Glad he's gone.

Edited by Majesty, August 06, 2013 - 12:02 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,101 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:04 PM

No no no. D'Antoni is evil and he caused all this!

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,078 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:21 PM

Pau didn't play ouf ot position. Pau and Dwight on the floor at the same time should fit just fine.  Pau likes to play power forward more anyway but who said a power forward should stay out on the wing and shoot jumpers?  Don't you guys think this could be another PR stunt since MDA image for the lakers fans is so bad the mention of his name makes any laker fans crinch? How will the Lakers sell the fans for next season? Ofcourse they need to find ways so the Laker fans are willing to give MDA another chance.  Sure it might make sense to please Dwight Howard and we all know that D12 is a big baby and wants people to baby him but this is not excuse for MDA to not no how to play both guys.  Phil Jackson even said that Pau and Dwight would be a great fit.  How is Pau playing out of position?  He is a treu Power forward not a true center.

This is just another PR move from the Lakers so fans wont be mad at MDA anymore.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,101 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:25 PM

How is Pau playing out of position?  He is a treu Power forward not a true center.

I would disagree with that.

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I would disagree with that.

Under Phil jackson he played Power Forward.  Last I check we got two rings out of it. 

The reason why Pau got bench is because Pau refused to play the way MDA wants him to play. Which is no post moves, just jump shots.  If Pau agrees to play like that Pau wouldn't be bench. This has nothing to do with D12 wanting Pau to be bench. What kind of crap is that?  Funny how Pau's view all of a sudden changed because I remember when they interviewed Pau he was obviously not happy with MDA. I dont remember him not happy wtih D12.   

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#6 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,455 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:34 PM

The shots Lakers are taking at Dwight seriously need to stop now move on now damn. And this seems like a flat out excuse coming from Antoni and Pau trying to save face cause Antoni couldn't run a system that had 2 big men in the lineup.
Posted Image

#7 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:36 PM

Go ahead and believe whatever MDA or even Pau is saying.  It is all PR move that the lakers are doing.  If any of you guys believe anything out of MDA's mouth you are more suckers than I thought.  Noticed how every interview any lakers had will always have excuses of why they suck last year?  This is just another excuses of why MDA making a dumb move thats all. 

#8 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,249 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Under Phil jackson he played Power Forward.  Last I check we got two rings out of it. 

The reason why Pau got bench is because Pau refused to play the way MDA wants him to play. Which is no post moves, just jump shots.  If Pau agrees to play like that Pau wouldn't be bench. This has nothing to do with D12 wanting Pau to be bench. What kind of crap is that?  Funny how Pau's view all of a sudden changed because I remember when they interviewed Pau he was obviously not happy with MDA. I dont remember him not happy wtih D12.   

true, but he mostly played Center due to Bynums injuries

#9 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:41 PM

I don't see Popavich making excuses for his dumb move by sitting Tony Parker during that last few minutes of game 6.  Coaches who make excuses shows you that they are incompetent and realized what they did was stupid. If MDA just comes out and say "yes i made a mistake. I shouldn't bench Pau. I should know how to use two hall of fame players on the court but obviously I am too stupid to do so."   I will respect him more.    This is just an excuse and that is sad especially for an NBA coach.

#10 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,101 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Err.. Pau played mostly center in those 'ship runs. And he is most effective as center.

#11 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:45 PM

true, but he mostly played Center due to Bynums injuries

Yes but Bynum played a lot one of the two seasons and we were winning.  Pau even said it couple of years ago that he wants to play with another 7 footer who will do the dirty work and he will handle the offensive side. Pau is not a banger. He rebounds mainly because of his height. What does centers usually do? They do the hardcore stuff like block shots, bang and rebound.  He prefer playing PF.

#12 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:47 PM

Playing center and pefering to play PF is different. Even during the Spainish team. He loves it when his brother plays center and he plays power forward.   He is not out of position if he plays power forward. that is my point. YOU made it sound like  him playing point guard or something.  Now that is out of position.

#13 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,345 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:49 PM

BS. If Pau was successful with a less athletic Bynum, it should've worked with Coward. 

veqdeg.jpg

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,504 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:52 PM

This is pretty obvious PR move.  Dwight has his issues and quirks but dude is starting to become an easy target for BS lies.  Pau was moved to the bench b/c they mainly couldnt co exist on defense.  Pau was getting destroyed on PnR and by stretch 4's.  Pau and Dwight were actually productive on offense but lowkey Pau did not want to play 2nd fiddle to Dwight?  With Bynum the paint was much more shared due to know one really knowing how good he was going to perform. 

I still feel they messed up big time by not trading Pau when they could have gotten pretty good value for him.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#15 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,101 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Playing center and pefering to play PF is different. Even during the Spainish team. He loves it when his brother plays center and he plays power forward.   He is not out of position if he plays power forward. that is my point. YOU made it sound like  him playing point guard or something.  Now that is out of position.

Oh, you are so full of crap. Do you know Jorge Garbajosa or Felipe Reyes?

#16 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,728 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:55 PM

Why are we still talking about this fool and loser named Dwight? Thanks God he is gone. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#17 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,015 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:01 PM

The decision to bench Pau is because he sucks ****.  The crazy thing about it is that the coach who decided to bench him sucks **** too.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#18 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:03 PM

Windu - seriously.

We all know you have an irrational and unsubstantiated hatred of Pau, but watch your language.

You know better!

#19 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,530 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Pretty sure everyone wanted pau benched. Guy was playin awful.

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,504 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Actually they weren't.  When Bynum emerged to get bigger minutes the team didnt win a championship.  Not saying this was Bynum's fault or this resulted in them losing, but saying they experienced success relative to the D12/Pau pairing is nonsense. 

When LA went b2b Finals, Pau played the most of his minutes with Odom.  If I remember correctly it went 1. Pau/Odom  2. Bynum/Pau  3. Bynum/Odom  in terms of minutes.  They didnt play together much until the 10-11 when we got blasted in the playoffs. 

BS. If Pau was successful with a less athletic Bynum, it should've worked with Coward. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users