Photo

Why Jordan Farmar could have a breakout season (long read)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,495 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:20 AM

Not mine,  for once.  But a couple of articles have been written as to how the aquisition of Jordan Farmar may be a bigger deal than some are making it out to be, because of how he'd fit the system we'll likely run in spots and in some ways may have been built for it.  Anyway, enjoy

Jordan Farmar might be the best point guard for this Lakers team

gyi0064324119.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Is Jordan Farmar a perfect fit in Mike D'Antoni's point guard dependent system? There's plenty of reason to believe he'll be great for the purple and gold.

Jordan Farmar is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers after an overseas stint in Turkey and is walking into a perfect situation, as detailed by our very own C.A. Clark. The Lakers have two-time Most Valuable Player Steve Nash on board for another two years and Steve Blake is also tugging along, but Farmar will have an opportunity to be more than a one-year minimum contract to fill out the roster. Farmar, 26, is in his prime and is about to be plugged into Mike D'Antoni's system, which he called a "dream" system for a point guard.

This is an ideal situation for the returning Laker, but an even more opportunistic signing for Los Angeles. Farmar is the best suited point guard on the roster to lead D'Antoni's offense, and he'll prove it this season.

Getting to the rim:

Make no mistake, while D'Antoni used Horns sets to adjust to the personnel he had at his disposal, his bread-and-butter remains pick-and-roll basketball. The issue for Los Angeles last season was the lack of ballhandlers who could get to the rim.

Kobe Bryant was the only player who consistently used high-screens effectively, forcing him to be the team's primary scorer and facilitator. The Lakers lacked a secondary ballhandler who could take the pressure from Bryant to be the lone high-screen threat.

How did Steve Blake fare as a ballhandler last season? Only 9.3 percent of his field goals came at the rim

bdis1_medium.jpeg

Steve Nash was more successful at getting to the rim, finishing the season with 17.7 percent of his field goal attempts coming at the hoop.

ndis1_medium.jpeg

In comparison, during Nash's last Most Valuable Player season in 2006 he finished at the rim 24.4 percent of the time.

nmvpdis1_medium.jpeg

To wrap up the first point, here's Jordan Farmar's shot distribution chart from his last season in the NBA. A phenomenal 29.2 percent of his field goals came at the rim.

fdis2_medium.jpeg

High-screens, threes and Horns oh my:

The percentages above show the end result, but the film shows the how, which is incredibly important when considering Jordan Farmar's fit in Mike D'Antoni's system.

As a pick-and-roll ballhandler, Farmar will have the chance to use the endless high-screens that define D'Antoni's approach to offense.

Here, Farmar uses two screens before driving to the rim for the finish:

He is able to penetrate the paint with ease. Last season both Nash and Blake struggled to get to the rim off the dribble, something that Farmar should have no issue doing.

Here's another example of Farmar using a high-screen to blow by his primary defender, then using his athleticism and ballhandling ability to penetrate the lane and finish between two defenders:

(more picture evidence and video is given in the article)

A fold in the Lakers' offensive system that is not expected to go away are Horns sets. D'Antoni told Silver Screen and Roll when interviewed during Summer League that they will continue running the same sets they did last season, which included the versatile set. Horns is not an unknown to Farmar, who also ran the sets with the Nets.

Here, the Nets use Horns to set Farmar up for an easy layup

(picture etc in the article)

It also goes into depth about his off-ball utility and also his effectiveness in transition to save time and so you'll read the entire article I'll give you a sample.

With Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant, he won't have the ball in his hands often. That is not an unknown to Farmar, who played in the Triangle when he was initially drafted by the Lakers, and eventually played with Deron Williams in his final run with the New Jersey Nets.

Here, Farmar spots up in the corner while Williams handles point guard duties. Derrick Rose closes out on Williams, who then drives to the paint to force the defense to collapse. This is a common occurrence when either Nash or Bryant are handling the ball, and is a scenario Farmar will often find himself in.

Farmar shot 41.9 percent as a spot-up shooter from deep during the 2011-2012 season. He also shot 44 percent overall from three-point range.

On the topic of spot-up shooting, Farmar ranked fifth-overall when catching and shooting after coming off of screens in 2011-2012, averaging 1.12 points per possession. He shot 45.8 percent overall and 45.5 percent from deep in this category.

All of the above is enough reason to make a case that Farmar is an incredible signing by the Lakers for the minimum, but that's without considering where he can really shine for Los Angeles -- in transition. In his final year in the NBA Farmar ranked 25th overall in points per possession in transition (1.35).

Read this entire article here: http://www.silverscr...mar-point-guard

Alright, here's some stats you may not have known before I give my opinion on the article and recommend you to go read it if you have the time :)

This is from another article

Jordan Farmar has prior experience winning championships with the Lakers, and now he'll be looking to return in a big way for a team without similar hopes and dreams.

He's another player who thrives scoring off screens.

According to Synergy, he put up 1.14 points per possession in that situation in 2011-12 (his last go-round in the Association). That number ranked fifth in the league.  

Farmar is also a great three-point shooter, and that's vital for any point guard playing in a D'Antoni system. 

Back in 2011-12, he helped the New Jersey Nets out by shooting 44 percent from behind the arc while taking 3.2 attempts per game. To put that in perspective, only 18 different players have matched or exceeded those numbers in the last five seasons.

Read THIS article here

My opinion is... I feel the way about Farmar that I felt about Steve Blake last off-season when he was being written off.  He'll be walking into a system that benefits him and that he can thrive in, he is a point guard that could push tempo, push pace and can play in the pick and roll.  Essentially the things we wanted Sessions to do.

Phil whom said the Lakers needed "another point guard" this may have been some of his doing as well. 

If we're gonna be running a pick and roll based offense next season, at least for a time, Farmar seems to be a perfect fit, he's young, youthful, can play pick and roll, finishes at the rim effectively and is good in transition as well as being a knockdown three point shooter whose ultimate goal is to have a 50/40/90 season(he has said as such) 

His last season in the NBA he was 46/44/90.   Not too far off.

He has since been overseas where they made him focus primarily on his pick and roll game as well as his defense, so this can only mean good things.  

So basically what I feel is that, we'll probably get the best out of him in this system and it will probably remind us of the days of Sessions and what he was able to do for us and we have the younger legs in our roster to do it as well.

Let's say we have a lineup that's our bench and it's this

Jordan Farmar
Nick Young
Wesley Johnson
Jordan Hill
Chris Kaman

That's pretty much what our up tempo pick and roll lineup would look like I gather.  

But aside from that and the strides he's made overseas I would hope.  Having Nash working with him will do nothing but help,  so like I said Farmar is walking into the best situation possible and if he does have a breakout year then it's even better for us.

Now I understand that when Kobe and Gasol and Nash are out there, we'll have to be playing at a different tempo, obviously, but at least we'll have structure in the units and I have no problem with our second unit running another bench out of the building.

So all and all I wish Farmar the best and hope he DOES have a breakout season, that breakdown of the systems he's played in and what he seems best at(including more pictures and video in the FIRST article) have given me more confidence in how much he CAN contribute given this style of play.    It fits him perfectly, and if he's able to play it well enough we may even be able to stick him in a few lineups with Kobe where Kobe DOESN'T have to be main ball handler.  If Farmar can get to the basket and off pick and rolls fast enough and run the offense, it DOES allow Kobe to settle off-ball for at least a few possessions and that is something I'm all for.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed all that :)  Have a wonderful day ladies and gents :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,486 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:19 AM

:smh:

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:33 AM

lmao

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,086 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 05, 2013 - 09:24 AM

Lmaaaaaaaaaaaooo at the idea of Farmar havent a breakout season.  I'm sure he will be a solid player for us.  Him breaking out will mean putting up borderline all star numbers which we know he isn't going to do. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,083 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 05, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Why can't breakout be what Ramon had for us before he got hurt or what Bledsoe did a couple of seasons ago.

All-Star numbers?

No!

I think breakout would be 15 points or so on 47% and 4 dimes, 45% from 3 and just being a big time contributor`

#6 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 05, 2013 - 11:17 AM

No one is expecting him to have all star numbers.  :laughing:

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#7 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,397 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted August 05, 2013 - 11:17 AM

tumblr_inline_mii2xmiDD71qz4rgp.gif

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted August 05, 2013 - 11:18 AM

This provides a great opportunity to pick apart numbers and advanced statistics...so I'm going to take the final paragraph posted, and go from there.

Back in 2011-12, he helped the New Jersey Nets out by shooting 44 percent from behind the arc while taking 3.2 attempts per game. To put that in perspective, only 18 different players have matched or exceeded those numbers in the last five seasons.

Yep, just 18...and one of those players was the 2009 Troy Murphy, who did absolutely nothing for us just three years after.

DJ Augustin, Anthony Morrow, and Bobby Simmons (in 2009, after his breakout seasons in 2005 and 2006) are other notables from that list who are irrelevant today.

With Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant, he won't have the ball in his hands often. That is not an unknown to Farmar, who played in the Triangle when he was initially drafted by the Lakers, and eventually played with Deron Williams in his final run with the New Jersey Nets.

So, from jump, the article compares the role of Nash in 2006...to Farmar's eventual role in our offense. However, a bit later, we find this small conflict, showing that those roles are completely the opposite.

Does this suggest that Farmar will be playing the two with Nash in at PG, or...? That's pretty ignorant. Farmar would get roasted at the two, more than any player not named Steve Nash in their natural positions (although, with D'Antoni, I'm sure everyone will play out of position at some point in time).

To wrap up the first point, here's Jordan Farmar's shot distribution chart from his last season in the NBA. A phenomenal 29.2 percent of his field goals came at the rim.

Right, and it was with Deron Williams at point. A couple of clips won't provide you with all of the shot attempts. Farmar split time (nearly 50/50) between PG and SG, while he was in New Jersey.

These advanced stats should show you that the Nets were better with Farmar at the two, and that his individual numbers were also more impressive...and it's because of Deron Williams.

What they won't reflect, again, are his defensive issues...may show that he defended two-guards better, but credit goes to Lopez, Wallace, Humphries, etc. for all of the help they had to provide (which, in turn, hurt them).

That's part of why the Nets were ranked 28th, defensively.

-----

Anyway...those numbers above, and this:

On the topic of spot-up shooting, Farmar ranked fifth-overall when catching and shooting after coming off of screens in 2011-2012, averaging 1.12 points per possession. He shot 45.8 percent overall and 45.5 percent from deep in this category.

Feels convincing, right? Then we go back and recall how Dwight Howard was ranked #1 in big man P&R success.

I'd dive much deeper into this, but there's no point. Nash is the bread and butter of D'Antoni's system (well, Nash's system), and Farmar is nothing like a prime Nash on the offensive end.

Could Farmar have the best season of his career? Of course he can, because the Lakers may need him to, and we could provide him with the minutes to inflate his numbers. It's very, very easy to "stick your neck out" and predict it, then go back later and write through the small fallacies.

It also helps the author's case that Nash is 60 years old and prone to injury, while Blake could be dealt mid-season...and the Lakers may be without Kobe for a while.

It's really not a reach. Will he put up 10+ PPG on 47% shooting, like he did in New Jersey in 2012? Will he do better? He could, but there should be absolutely no comparison, at all, between the 2006 Nash and the 2014 Farmar. That should have been omitted from the article immediately.

#9 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,393 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Love these chats and articles. I will just wait and see how he does. This upcoming season. Should be fun
Posted Image

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,495 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Yep I don't expect all-star numbers from Farmar, however him having his best season is just fine with me if he's doing it as a Laker.  I'm not expecting 17/10 from him, but having his best season (whereas prior his best season was 11ppg while shooting 46/44/90), if he does better than that I'm all for it.  He won't be an all-star but it sure as heck would still help us.  Would spell Nash's minutes as well, which is the reason we got two point guards to backup Nash in the first place. 

I also wouldn't doubt that Farmar would get some spare minutes at the two, although I doubt it happens very often.

The reason I say that is because the reason we ran Steve Blake at the 2 and Nash at the 1 last year was simple, Jodie Meeks was playing terrible and wasn't dependable on the offensive or defensive end, and Blake was.  

We got Nick Young to eliminate the reliance on Meeks, so unless something happened to him *knock on wood that it DOESN'T happen) then Farmar wouldn't need to play the 2 very much.  

Again I say all that HOPING everyone remains healthy! Cause I really don't want it to come down to that.

Edited by Majesty, August 05, 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#11 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,086 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Unless he puts up better than the 9.4/5 ish he put up his last year in NJ what would you consider a breakout year?  A breakout year would be him going above and beyond what he's done in the past yes? 10/5 from Farmar wouldnt be breakout.  15/8 would be though but thats not going to happen unless he's playing extended minutes and we'd most likely be lost in the sauce if he is

Yep I don't expect all-star numbers from Farmar, however him having his best season is just fine with me if he's doing it as a Laker.  I'm not expecting 17/10 from him, but having his best season (whereas prior his best season was 11ppg while shooting 46/44/90), if he does better than that I'm all for it.  He won't be an all-star but it sure as heck would still help us.  Would spell Nash's minutes as well, which is the reason we got two point guards to backup Nash in the first place. 

I also wouldn't doubt that Farmar would get some spare minutes at the two, although I doubt it happens very often.

The reason I say that is because the reason we ran Steve Blake at the 2 and Nash at the 1 last year was simple, Jodie Meeks was playing terrible and wasn't dependable on the offensive or defensive end, and Blake was.  

We got Nick Young to eliminate the reliance on Meeks, so unless something happened to him *knock on wood that it DOESN'T happen) then Farmar wouldn't need to play the 2 very much.  

Again I say all that HOPING everyone remains healthy! Cause I really don't want it to come down to that.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#12 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:01 PM

you remember how though pau puts up good numbers, he doesn't necessarily PLAY as good as those numbers portray

a breakout season doesn't just have to be about his numbers being better, if he becomes a better TEAMMATE and plays better in this offense, it could very well be a "breakout season" 

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,495 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:46 PM

you remember how though pau puts up good numbers, he doesn't necessarily PLAY as good as those numbers portray

a breakout season doesn't just have to be about his numbers being better, if he becomes a better TEAMMATE and plays better in this offense, it could very well be a "breakout season" 

I'm pretty sure he will, it's an offense that caters to his strengths, especially coming from playing overseas where pick and roll was basically all they ran, and they made him prioritize isolation and team defense. 

So if he comes here well versed in pick and roll as well as being a better defender than he was prior this may very well be a breakout year for him.  Similarly to how last years was for Blake.  It's a system that fits him as a point guard and caters to his strengths.   If he can give us any of what Sessions gave us or better then the pickup was a steal.

#14 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,083 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 05, 2013 - 09:38 PM

D'anton will play Blake and nash or Blake and farmar, and other coaches will also play two point guards.

it's basketball

#15 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 05, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Farmar should play the two more often than PG. He had his best season spending most of his time at 2 in NJ. If Deron Williams could get him easy baskets, Nash should fair quite well 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users