280 replies to this topic

#161 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,816 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 07, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Like offering Larry Sanders a max contract.  If Lakers did that I would officially put down my P&G flag

Sanders is 24 and is the best post defender in the League according to this article:

http://www.sloanspor...for the NBA.pdf

Also, a max deal for Sanders starts at 13M/yr, which isn't bad.

#162 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,014 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 09:55 PM

How? If the guy is any good the team he is with will match...if not they would have to overpay for a guy so much that a team wouldnt match but that would be dumb b/c you would be overpaying for a player that isnt that good...

I'm not saying it's going to happen. But there's a possibility. Whether it's 1% or 99%.

#163 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,014 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Sanders is 24 and is the best post defender in the League according to this article:

http://www.sloanspor...for the NBA.pdf

Also, a max deal for Sanders starts at 13M/yr, which isn't bad.

Pfft, he got dunked on by a toddler. (Reference to video with his son lol)

#164 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 488 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:55 PM

No doubt LeBron is willing to take a paycut if it means winning a championship. But honestly I would rather go for Kevin Love or Demarcus Cousin instead of Melo. Having the combo of Love, LeBron, and Kobe would be lethal same with Demarcus Cousin. Then if Lakers somehow keep Pau or lets say Hill then that is a guarantee at least 1 championship.

#165 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:12 AM

No doubt LeBron is willing to take a paycut if it means winning a championship. But honestly I would rather go for Kevin Love or Demarcus Cousin instead of Melo. Having the combo of Love, LeBron, and Kobe would be lethal same with Demarcus Cousin. Then if Lakers somehow keep Pau or lets say Hill then that is a guarantee at least 1 championship.

There could be an argument made for Love over Melo...but DeMarcus Cousins? I think he'd be an interesting experiment, but you'd rather pass on Melo, who is a sure thing on the offense, for Cousins and bank on him adjusting his attitude and mentality? 

#166 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 488 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:41 AM

There could be an argument made for Love over Melo...but DeMarcus Cousins? I think he'd be an interesting experiment, but you'd rather pass on Melo, who is a sure thing on the offense, for Cousins and bank on him adjusting his attitude and mentality? 

Yes, because we would be able to save money by acquiring cousins instead of Melo. I would want to spend more money on bench instead of trying to make the best starting 5 in the NBA history. You also have to think about that having LeBron and Kobe would be enough firepower to carry the offense. Adding Melo to that mix would just be bad in my opinion because no matter how many superstars we have they are all playing with 1 ball. An average team takes 80 FGA per game. If LeBron, Melo, and Kobe all average around 20 attempts per game that means we would only have 20 shots left for the bench? I would rather have a guy that can provide 15ppg and 10rpg which we all know Cousins can easily produce.

#167 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,225 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:58 AM

Is this the next Dwight Howard type watch thread

#168 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 02:03 AM

Why do people assume that players will get as many shot attempts as they have in their previous teams as the number one option? Also, bench players getting 20 shot attempts seem to be the average in the NBA, with the bulk of the offense being run by the starters.

That is unless they're an offensively challenged team to begin with. 

#169 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,142 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 09, 2013 - 02:18 AM

Why do people assume that players will get as many shot attempts as they have in their previous teams as the number one option? Also, bench players getting 20 shot attempts seem to be the average in the NBA, with the bulk of the offense being run by the starters.

Yep people don't notice.

Nick Young averaged about 14 shots per game as a starter on the Wizards. In a less role with the Clippers?  Went down to 8.  
Michael Beasley shot 17 shots a game as a starter in Minni when he had a 19 ppg season.  Getting his role jerked around on the Suns? Went down to 10. 

So I don't get why people assume that in lesser off-ball roles they'd be jacking up the same amount of shots as they did when they were a main option instead of taking less more efficient shots because they'd be the back of what the defense was paying attention to which is the much more plausible scenario.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#170 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:26 AM

Love? Yes, Cousins? No! Hell no lol.  He's about to sign a new deal with the Kings anyway so he's out of the question.  Love would be great but you would need to pair him with a strong defensive C because Love is pretty bad on that end.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#171 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,816 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:36 AM

Love? Yes, Cousins? No! Hell no lol.  He's about to sign a new deal with the Kings anyway so he's out of the question.  Love would be great but you would need to pair him with a strong defensive C because Love is pretty bad on that end.

How about a Love-Hibbert combo. Both have player-options in 2015.

#172 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:38 AM

How about a Love-Hibbert combo. Both have player-options in 2015.

Hibbert would stay in Indiana. He would get the most money and have a shot at a championship with the budding star in Paul George. Kevin Love is no guarantee and there's a slim chance Minnesota doesn't offer him the max. 

#173 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 488 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thats why i would rather have cousins or love instead of melo. Melo's FGA would go down to lets say 16 FGA per game while averaging the same percentage which is 43-45% that means hes only gonna provide us 16-18 ppg and probably grab around 6rpg. Cousins can provide that same number with 16 FGA or probably a little less but his rebounding would help this team much more than adding an extra 3 points.

I apologize for saying bench. What i meant is the rest of the team. If we somehow keep pau gasol having 20 shots for the rest of the team is just bad. Look what happen to pacers last year when their bench couldnt provide anything.

#174 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,087 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Is this the next Dwight Howard type watch thread

#175 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hibbert is most likely not but I'd say they'd have a real shot at Love if Flip Saunders doesnt show any signs of building a contender.  Twolves has been a graveyard for decade at least and I think KG's experience is enough to scare guys away from sitting in dead org for too long.

Hibbert would stay in Indiana. He would get the most money and have a shot at a championship with the budding star in Paul George. Kevin Love is no guarantee and there's a slim chance Minnesota doesn't offer him the max. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#176 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thats why i would rather have cousins or love instead of melo. Melo's FGA would go down to lets say 16 FGA per game while averaging the same percentage which is 43-45% that means hes only gonna provide us 16-18 ppg and probably grab around 6rpg. Cousins can provide that same number with 16 FGA or probably a little less but his rebounding would help this team much more than adding an extra 3 points.

I apologize for saying bench. What i meant is the rest of the team. If we somehow keep pau gasol having 20 shots for the rest of the team is just bad. Look what happen to pacers last year when their bench couldnt provide anything.

Pacers were offensively challenged, period. They wish they had someone like Melo who could create his own offense. Also, you don't think Melo would get more quality looks as an off ball type player with Kobe and Nash on the team, thus raising his percentage? Plus, when the game is on the line, we would have two clutch players who would be able to win close games for us. 

And we're not even talking about how much of a headcase Cousins is. 

#177 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Where do you put Melo on the Pacers that makes them a better team?  At the 3 they drop off on the perimeter significantly on D, at the 4 teams destroy them with PnR.  George > Melo especially on that team. 

Pacers were offensively challenged, period. They wish they had someone like Melo who could create his own offense. Also, you don't think Melo would get more quality looks as an off ball type player with Kobe and Nash on the team, thus raising his percentage? Plus, when the game is on the line, we would have two clutch players who would be able to win close games for us. 

#178 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Where do you put Melo on the Pacers that makes them a better team?  At the 3 they drop off on the perimeter significantly on D, at the 4 teams destroy them with PnR.  George > Melo especially on that team. 

The operative word is offense? And I said someone LIKE Melo who can create his own offense. What are you trying to argue? 

Edited by zombeef, August 09, 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#179 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 488 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Melo becoming an off ball player? Lol. There is more chances that Kobe might become the off ball player if they somehow manage to get LeBron and Melo next year. Remember Kobe is gonna be 36 years old. Melo never played a spot up shooter in his entire career he would struggle making that adjustment.  He is also the type of player that needs a lot of FGA to become effective. Were not even talking about the front court yet.  Do you think having a front court of Melo and Gasol is better than Cousins and Gasol? Melo is way better player than Cousins but having a big man is more important if you have LeBron and Kobe in your team. You already have LeBron and Kobe thats enough clutch player right there.

Cousins is a stubborn player but winning will cure that.

#180 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,142 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Melo becoming an off ball player? Lol. There is more chances that Kobe might become the off ball player if they somehow manage to get LeBron and Melo next year. Remember Kobe is gonna be 36 years old. Melo never played a spot up shooter in his entire career he would struggle making that adjustment.  He is also the type of player that needs a lot of FGA to become effective. Were not even talking about the front court yet.  Do you think having a front court of Melo and Gasol is better than Cousins and Gasol? Melo is way better player than Cousins but having a big man is more important if you have LeBron and Kobe in your team. You already have LeBron and Kobe thats enough clutch player right there.

Cousins is a stubborn player but winning will cure that.

You never watched the Olympics did you.  Don't say "the Olympics is different"

He showed he could be an effective off ball player and in fact him and Kobe went to that Olympics intending to prove they could play together and that Melo could play off ball. Both are on record saying this.

Melo can play off ball effectively very well.  He wouldn't struggle with it at all.  Would be a heck of a lot easier for him that the job he has now.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users