#241 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:00 PM

you would think a pathetic season would have been reason enough to show him the door but oh well...there's always next season.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#242 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'd rather have Melo and either love or rondo than Love AND Rondo...

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#243 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,302 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Im going to ignore most of what you posted and just ask if given the chance do you go after Melo or do you have another frugal year and go after Love and Rondo?

They are two years apart man.

And I would pick Melo over Love.

If you're so against Melo's defense you'd go after Love?

You don't hold on to two max contracts and 19 million if Melo is at your doorstep.

The Lakers aren't gonna say "meh we pass on Melo cause maybe we'll get Rondo next year."

They are a year apart.

Melo is first up.

You have the chance to get him you take him.   

If Rondo is available in 2015 you offer him what you can, though you'll LIKELY have a lot leftover from the one max contract you didn't spend and the additional 19 you used to re-sign some people.

There's obviously gonna be some left over and Mitch isn't intent on spending everything in 2014.

So to answer your question if Melo's available, you get him.  You don't hold all your cards for the next year or you wind up like Cuban when he was so focused on 2 years ahead the ship fell apart around him and when it came to make the move he'd saved up all that money for he got NOTHING.

IF Melo is available and on the table in 2014 you get him.  You don't skip on Melo because you "may" get Rondo or Love in 2015.

Nash's contract also ends in 2015 which is a factor in the money freed up for Rondo too ;)

So you have Nash's contract money up, and you got the leftover from the one max contract you have left in 2014 as well as the leftovers from the 19 million.

I'd say you stand a very good chance of signing Melo in 2014 and Rondo in 2015 so why not go with that and prepare as such. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#244 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,215 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:15 PM

I doubt it, Heard he don't wanna go anywhere.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#245 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,051 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:28 PM

So walk with me here.  2014, how many years do you resign Kobe and Pau?  If you want Kobe and Pau for more than just the 14-15 year and want to sign Melo you kill any chance of max or even high level guy in 2015.

62M (est 2015 cap) - 15 season Melo contract 23.5M, 15 season Kobe 10M, 15 season Pau 10M, 2014 1st rd 1.5-2M, Nash stretched 3M = roughly 13M left before other considerations. 

13M may just be enough to attain Rondo but then what? No trade assets and thats if we didnt resign glue guys like Hill and bring back rookies like Harris and Kelly.

What frustrates me in these convo's is your inability to go deep into the decision making process that the GM's have to do.  I know you think the Lakers make magic happen but their is a lot of thought and foresight that goes into getting players and building a team.  Pau was their only magic trick and we know how that most likely went down. 

They are two years apart man.

And I would pick Melo over Love.

If you're so against Melo's defense you'd go after Love?

You don't hold on to two max contracts and 19 million if Melo is at your doorstep.

The Lakers aren't gonna say "meh we pass on Melo cause maybe we'll get Rondo next year."

They are a year apart.

Melo is first up.

You have the chance to get him you take him.   

If Rondo is available in 2015 you offer him what you can, though you'll LIKELY have a lot leftover from the one max contract you didn't spend and the additional 19 you used to re-sign some people.

There's obviously gonna be some left over and Mitch isn't intent on spending everything in 2014.

So to answer your question if Melo's available, you get him.  You don't hold all your cards for the next year or you wind up like Cuban when he was so focused on 2 years ahead the ship fell apart around him and when it came to make the move he'd saved up all that money for he got NOTHING.

IF Melo is available and on the table in 2014 you get him.  You don't skip on Melo because you "may" get Rondo or Love in 2015.

Nash's contract also ends in 2015 which is a factor in the money freed up for Rondo too ;)

So you have Nash's contract money up, and you got the leftover from the one max contract you have left in 2014 as well as the leftovers from the 19 million.

I'd say you stand a very good chance of signing Melo in 2014 and Rondo in 2015 so why not go with that and prepare as such. 

Edited by Jody Smokes, September 12, 2013 - 08:28 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#246 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,150 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Y'all really feel that this is mda's last year as laker coach?

#247 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,302 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:44 PM

You sign Kobe for 2 years(third optional)

And you sign Pau for 1 and a team option on the 2nd. 

The 2015 season has way too many forwards and centers available  other than Love too

LaMarcus Aldridge
Paul Milsap
Brandan Wright(for bench)
Brook Lopez
Tyson Chandler
Al jefferson

you got all those options available if Pau bolted in 2015 or retired which is likely to happen as I think he'd only return for one year anyway. I think he wants his retirement at or close to Kobe's.

So you sign him cheap for one year and a 2nd optional if he takes it.

You get Gasol AFTER re-signing Kobe, and to the shorter contract as well.

Any other questions? :)

#248 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,051 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Unless you think a guy that can put up 16-17 and 9-10 boards a game is going to take a 3-4M dollar deal then sure.  If guys are serious about winning it at all cost and money doesn't mean a thing then they should both just sign up for vet mini's next year.  Not even Tim Duncan did that.  Pau will command at least 8-12M on the market.  I don't think Pau can be your 2nd best guy when your main guy is 36 but he is far from done. 

Those other guys you mentioned are going to get top dollar on the market.  LMA is coming to LA to play for pennies and neither is Brook Lopez.  You sign Melo and have Kobe on a 3 year deal you aren't going to get any of those guys.  If you do there is no room to flesh out a real roster. 

Walk us through your plan, put the numbers out there and then see how fast you hit that wall. 

You sign Kobe for 2 years(third optional)

And you sign Pau for 1 and a team option on the 2nd. 

The 2015 season has way too many forwards and centers available  other than Love too

LaMarcus Aldridge
Paul Milsap
Brandan Wright(for bench)
Brook Lopez
Tyson Chandler
Al jefferson

you got all those options available if Pau bolted in 2015 or retired which is likely to happen as I think he'd only return for one year anyway. I think he wants his retirement at or close to Kobe's.

So you sign him cheap for one year and a 2nd optional if he takes it.

You get Gasol AFTER re-signing Kobe, and to the shorter contract as well.

Any other questions? :)

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#249 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,051 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Don't know honestly.  Not sure who'd they get to replace him.  I'd rather they do something out the box like Boston.  How a young mind to build his legacy and culture if possible. 

Y'all really feel that this is mda's last year as laker coach?

#250 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,150 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 12, 2013 - 10:58 PM

True. But i wouldnt like looking towards the college ranks. Or. Why not snag a monte Williams or steal Tom thibedeou from the bulls.

#251 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,805 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted September 13, 2013 - 12:56 AM

So it's melo or bust

#252 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,302 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 01:41 AM

So it's melo or bust

in 2014 it pretty much is in terms of making a 'splash'

Priorities are bringing back Kobe for 2 years 3rd optional, and bringing back Gasol for cheap.
And re-signing the guys that pan out this year and earn their spots.

After that we'd focus on bringing in Carmelo, and if we sign him that's pretty much what we'll go into 2014 with unless something REALLY Crazy happens and another free agent also wanted in.

Aside from that that's all for 2014.   2015 is when we'd look to make a splash for Rondo.

Honestly if you sign Carmelo you really don't need to go for Love and you can pretty much target Melo in 2014 and Rondo in 2015.

But if Boston gets Wiggins then it's a moot point.

#253 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,805 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted September 13, 2013 - 01:56 AM

Kobe has to come back

#254 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,554 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 13, 2013 - 01:58 AM

Melo really would be nice, because he's the type of player you could build around for the next 5-6 years.

However, as I've mentioned earlier, when it comes to winning during the last years of the Kobe-era, perhaps we're better off keeping Pau and Kobe and surrounding them with defenders.

Bogut, Luol Deng, Lowry and a guy like Avery Bradley would be nice in LA.

#255 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,302 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 02:16 AM

Melo really would be nice, because he's the type of player you could build around for the next 5-6 years.

However, as I've mentioned earlier, when it comes to winning during the last years of the Kobe-era, perhaps we're better off keeping Pau and Kobe and surrounding them with defenders.

Lakers need another star or borderline star to pair with Kobe and Pau.

It can't just be Kobe and Pau surrounded by role players like 08-09 or 09-10

It has to be Kobe, Pau and one other guy.

And unless Nick Young discovers his full potential along with Wes Johnson(offensively and defensively) then you'll need a third guy like Carmelo.

Carmelo doesn't even have that SECOND guy. All the Lakers need is a third that can be second and Kobe and Carmelo can carry the load offensively along the wing while Pau has main priority in the post.  THAT would work.

Then that's why in 2015 you go after Rondo cause it allows Kobe to not have to initiate everything for everyone and Rondo gets to be the guy that finds Kobe, Pau or Melo where they are most open.  

I guarantee if Rondo is here and we have a healthy Kobe, Melo and Pau he will easily average 15 apg that year.

#256 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,554 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 03:01 AM

Lakers need another star or borderline star to pair with Kobe and Pau.

It can't just be Kobe and Pau surrounded by role players like 08-09 or 09-10

It has to be Kobe, Pau and one other guy.

And unless Nick Young discovers his full potential along with Wes Johnson(offensively and defensively) then you'll need a third guy like Carmelo.

Carmelo doesn't even have that SECOND guy. All the Lakers need is a third that can be second and Kobe and Carmelo can carry the load offensively along the wing while Pau has main priority in the post.  THAT would work.

Then that's why in 2015 you go after Rondo cause it allows Kobe to not have to initiate everything for everyone and Rondo gets to be the guy that finds Kobe, Pau or Melo where they are most open.  

I guarantee if Rondo is here and we have a healthy Kobe, Melo and Pau he will easily average 15 apg that year.

Ideally, yes. In reality, I think things are different.

I think getting LBJ is a pipe-dream, so realistically choice/possibility is between:

1) Melo for the max + 1 midlevel sized deal

2) 2-3 next-tier FAs, like Deng, Bogut, Okafor, Bledsoe, Avery Bradley and Lowry or similar.

(In both cases we keep both Pau and Kobe for a combined 15-20 million and trade/stretch Nash).

Between the two options, I think we could be better of with option 2.

#257 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,051 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 04:05 AM

We have the last 5-6 years to show that that is false and Melo will be 30 by the time he is eligible to become a Laker

Edited by Jody Smokes, September 13, 2013 - 04:06 AM.

#258 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,554 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 04:17 AM

We have the last 5-6 years to show that that is false and Melo will be 30 by the time he is eligible to become a Laker

Which is why I think we should be careful. But Melo is still one of the few players you could build around.

#259 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,051 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 04:43 AM

I like the 3rd option from your previous post.  If we want Kobe and even Pau back its best to add great role player glue guys like Deng, Bradley, Lowry.  You can get 2-3 of those guys for the price of Melo and have a much better team as well.  Offensively Melo brings the heat but at the 4 we would get destroyed in pick n roll sets.  Imagine trying to defend Westbrook with Pau and Melo as your rim protectors lol

Which is why I think we should be careful. But Melo is still one of the few players you could build around.

Edited by Jody Smokes, September 13, 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#260 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,302 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 04:52 AM

I like the 3rd option from your previous post.  If we want Kobe and even Pau back its best to add great role player glue guys like Deng, Bradley, Lowry.  You can get 2-3 of those guys for the price of Melo and have a much better team as well.  Offensively Melo brings the heat but at the 4 we would get destroyed in pick n roll sets.  Imagine trying to defend Westbrook with Pau and Melo as your rim protectors lol

Imagine Ibaka having to guard Carmelo on the perimeter and skinny Perk being alone with Pau in the post.

Edited by Majesty, September 13, 2013 - 04:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)