280 replies to this topic

#181 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hibbert would stay in Indiana. He would get the most money and have a shot at a championship with the budding star in Paul George. Kevin Love is no guarantee and there's a slim chance Minnesota doesn't offer him the max. 

Indiana and Minny already offered both of these guys big contracts which they signed. If they opt out LA can offer them the max.

#182 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,194 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:09 PM

I think kobe would be the one to change his game personally.. by choice. I think he would turn into a assist machine and pick his shots better if he had lebron and melo

this could possibly save his legs for scoring in the playoffs

Edited by RobBlake, August 09, 2013 - 09:09 PM.

ap1.png

#183 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:27 AM

While i would love to see Melo in purple and gold, i think paying him a 4yr 100 million dollar deal could end up being a bad idea if we cant put the right pieces around him. Why not instead aim for 3-4 good roleplayers who’ll fit next to Nash, Kobe and Pau?

Like Avery Bradley, Luol Deng, Ekpe Udoh and Elton Brand. We could probably sign the four of them for the same amount as we’d be paying Melo.

Or Eric Bledsoe, Lance Stephenson, Thabo Sefolosha and Bismack Biyombo?

#184 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,459 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:34 AM

While i would love to see Melo in purple and gold, i think paying him a 4yr 100 million dollar deal could end up being a bad idea if we cant put the right pieces around him. Why not instead aim for 3-4 good roleplayers who’ll fit next to Nash, Kobe and Pau?

Like Avery Bradley, Luol Deng, Ekpe Udoh and Elton Brand. We could probably sign the four of them for the same amount as we’d be paying Melo.

Or Eric Bledsoe, Lance Stephenson, Thabo Sefolosha and Bismack Biyombo?

yea 4 yr 100m is too much.

#185 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Why the [expletive] are you guys even considering having any more than ONE (1) of these players next season: Kobe, Nash, Pau.

Stop envisioning a future in which the FO piles mediocre talent around this grandfather core

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#186 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Why the [expletive] are you guys even considering having any more than ONE (1) of these players next season: Kobe, Nash, Pau.

Stop envisioning a future in which the FO piles mediocre talent around this grandfather core

All i said was that it might be better to get four very solid players rather than overpaying for 1 all-star.

Regarding Nash and Pau;

I still think Pau have some left in the tank and with the right players around him - a hustle guy like Hill and a solid defender at the 4, he could be successfull.

Regarding Nash, i think there are 3 options: 1) keep him and pair him with someone who can cover up for his defensive lapses (Avery Bradley would be that guy) 2) Trade him or 3) stretch him.

I'd prefer to trade him, but it may prove difficult and i dont like the idea of stretching him either. Then i'd rather keep him and have the cap space later.

#187 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,639 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 13, 2013 - 04:12 AM

I'd rather suck and rebuild via the lottery than continue to overpay a core of Kobe/Pau/Nash that will not win anything even with other solid guys around them.  All the other cores in the league are just flat out better now.  This isn't 2008 anymore. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#188 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 05:33 AM

I'd rather suck and rebuild via the lottery than continue to overpay a core of Kobe/Pau/Nash that will not win anything even with other solid guys around them.  All the other cores in the league are just flat out better now.  This isn't 2008 anymore. 

The Lakers are in a unique situation right now with Kobe being in the final few years of his career. This pretty much makes it impossible to tank and re-build via the lottery. The one chance we had at rebuilding via the lottery was this season, but by keeping Kobe (not using Amnesty) and by keeping the rest of the guys that chance pretty much went out the window. This is unfortunate, since there are a lot of teams that really have improved and there are a lot of really good prospects.

I’m not sure why everybody are hating on Pau and Nash, who went through a fluke season with injuries and bad coaching. Next season we could perhaps resign Pau for something resembling the midlevel (hopefully) and in a league where big men are massively overpaid (Kwame Brown 7 million dollars), I don’t think paying Gasol is such a bad idea - especially if we could pair him with an elite defender.  

Nash is a bit different. His 9,7 million in 2014-15 is a problem and the result is either a trade, the stretch provision or, like I said earlier, to pair him with someone who can cover up for his defensive problems. Btw José Calderon just landed a four-year 30 million dollar deal, so it’s not like Nash’s deal is that bad.

And just to clarify once again. All I was trying to do was to point out that unless we can put the right type of players around a guy like Melo, it could prove to be a bad idea to give him the max.

#189 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,639 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Im not "hating" on Pau and Nash, in fact they are some of fav of all time but its not hating to bring up the fact that its over for those guys at an elite level.  A lot of fans find it hard to let go of the past.  We aren't getting those guys in all star again under any system or coach. 

I understand the situation with LA is a hard one.  It's like if you have a car that is about to go out do you spend money and try to fix it and in turn it either works for a lot longer or it all goes to waste or do you just save face and get a new one.  My view is unless this team can compete against the best teams in the league in playoffs you are just killing your chances to rebuild due to the amount of picks the Lakers don't have for the rest of the decade. 

The Lakers are in a unique situation right now with Kobe being in the final few years of his career. This pretty much makes it impossible to tank and re-build via the lottery. The one chance we had at rebuilding via the lottery was this season, but by keeping Kobe (not using Amnesty) and by keeping the rest of the guys that chance pretty much went out the window. This is unfortunate, since there are a lot of teams that really have improved and there are a lot of really good prospects.

I’m not sure why everybody are hating on Pau and Nash, who went through a fluke season with injuries and bad coaching. Next season we could perhaps resign Pau for something resembling the midlevel (hopefully) and in a league where big men are massively overpaid (Kwame Brown 7 million dollars), I don’t think paying Gasol is such a bad idea - especially if we could pair him with an elite defender.  

Nash is a bit different. His 9,7 million in 2014-15 is a problem and the result is either a trade, the stretch provision or, like I said earlier, to pair him with someone who can cover up for his defensive problems. Btw José Calderon just landed a four-year 30 million dollar deal, so it’s not like Nash’s deal is that bad.

And just to clarify once again. All I was trying to do was to point out that unless we can put the right type of players around a guy like Melo, it could prove to be a bad idea to give him the max.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#190 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Clearly you do not understand the BUSINESS aspect of a team. 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Melo on record saying he would love to play with Kobe.

Edited by    , August 17, 2013 - 10:05 PM.

yo.

#192 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,348 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 18, 2013 - 10:13 AM

He also stated "Kobe already has LA" and that "he wants his own." It's hard to dissect much from public statements. 

It'll all come down to how patient Carmelo is. If the Knicks get kicked out of the first or second round this year, the Lakers play relatively well, the Lakers perhaps sign a decent player next offseason, the Lakers FO and Kobe do a remarkable job in convincing Carmelo, and Carmelo feels impatient, he'll sign with the Lakers.

Otherwise, Carmelo could wait another year and hope the Knicks franchise sign Rondo, Kevin Love, etc. while he could still be viewed as the savior of New York. 

#193 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,318 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Kobe ain't the only one.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#194 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,767 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 10:51 PM

Core of Kobe/Melo is only good when you have great role players who can play good D. Kobe being 36 and Melo are liability in the perimeter. 

But wouldnt mind it if Kobe remains playing at a high level. Like who else can we get.

#195 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 688 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted August 18, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Melo'd be cool. Kobe would have a friend on the court again. It'd be great if these vet's min guys we signed this year blossomed into solid role players. Wes Johnson, looking at you!

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#196 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Melo'd be cool. Kobe would have a friend on the court again. It'd be great if these vet's min guys we signed this year blossomed into solid role players. Wes Johnson, looking at you!

Whaaaaaaat. Kobe and Pau are like two peas in a pod. 

#197 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,639 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'd say respectfully Pau is more Kobe's [expletive] than anything...

#198 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,194 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:13 PM

i agree.. but Pau is such a nice guy tho.. I wonder what he can do fully healthy and in a position that boosts his morale 

ap1.png

#199 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:32 PM

i agree.. but Pau is such a nice guy tho.. I wonder what he can do fully healthy and in a position that boosts his morale 

Pau is better than given credit for on this forum, strangely enough. He was a beast in the final few games of the season, where a playoff spot was on the line and had two triple-doubles in 3 games. That's not something you see often for a 7-footer.

#200 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:39 PM

I won't disagree...but Pau enjoys being the bottom so it all works out in the end. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users