#1 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:08 AM

Dunno if this should be merged with the other Melo thread BUT:

The Knicks can offer Anthony the most money but the Los Angeles Lakers will be players in the free-agent market next summer and there has already been talk of Anthony joining Kobe Bryant, and even Anthony and LeBron James joining forces in the purple and gold.

Carmelo Anthony admitted “my window is closing” and that he’s “trying to bring a championship to New York ASAP.”

But the clock is ticking on Anthony’s career as well as his time in New York. The All-Star forward can become a free agent on July 1, and he will almost certainly opt out of his contract because it makes financial sense.

The Knicks can offer Anthony the most money but the Los Angeles Lakers will be players in the free-agent market next summer and there has already been talk of Anthony joining Kobe Bryant, and even Anthony and LeBron James joining forces in the purple and gold.

“As far as ruling anything out, I haven’t even, to be honest with you, thought about anything past today,” Anthony said on Saturday in Queens, where he was hosting a youth camp. “My mind is not even thinking about next season, next offseason right now. I’m just trying to do what I do this offseason to get right, work out, train and get right and prepare myself for this season. When that time comes, I’ll deal with that.”

As the Daily News reported in May, Anthony played the last month of this past season with a partially torn left shoulder. The Knicks and Anthony considered surgery, but Anthony claims the injury is healing on its own and that surgery won’t be needed.

“I took one MRI a couple months ago and it was healing back in place,” he said. “So that was the decision — should I get surgery or should I not? I’m not really a big fan of surgical procedures.

“At the end of the day it was my body, and if I felt as though I needed to go get surgery I was going to get surgery. But at that point I was hoping up until that first MRI that I didn’t need surgery and the Almighty man was with me.”

The Knicks believe they’ve upgraded their supporting cast by acquiring Andrea Bargnani in a trade with Toronto. They also signed Metta World Peace and re-signed J.R. Smith and Pablo Prigioni. Smith had knee surgery last month and may not be ready by the start of the regular season.

“I told y’all from the beginning I thought that was a steal,” Anthony said of Bargnani. “I hate to lose (Marcus) Camby and (Steve) Novak, but you get something like that back in return, it’s kind of a win-win situation. Hopefully, Bargnani’s going to come in and prove something, come in with a chip on his shoulder and be ready to rock.

“It’s hard for me to call him Metta,” Anthony added of the former Ron Artest. “To have him on our team right now brings more toughness, adds more toughness to our team, some more defensive presence. And he also can be a threat on the offensive end, so you have to respect that.”

http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz2b2aOSDKs

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,791 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hmm...

#3 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:16 AM

Not coming. He has no reason to and NY looks a helluva lot better than LA. He gets more money and can build his own team. 

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,141 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:07 AM

Not coming. He has no reason to and NY looks a helluva lot better than LA. He gets more money and can build his own team. 

How? 

And hasn't he been doing the second half of that for the last few years to no avail?   We can also offer him the max along with another max player and still have 19 million to play around with, he doesn't make more in New York than he would here.

Dunno where you get your information.

Edited by Majesty, August 05, 2013 - 01:08 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#5 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,791 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:08 AM

Lol haven't seen one positive post from Harry Styles.

#6 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:08 AM

Yeah man, J.R Smith, Stat, and Primo Pasta are an awesome bunch.

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,877 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:32 AM

Not saying he's coming here but wtf. NY is [expletive] for years. That whole team is filled with over payed has beens. 

#8 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,877 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:39 AM

Who ever wrote this is a joke. The article begins with the writers speculation. Zero actual evidence. Then the rest of it is Melo praising the off season accusations. I mean yea its most likely just keeping a face but not a damn thing in that article makes me think he's thinking lakers. One writers speculation is no better than a common persons speculation unless its someone like Woj.

#9 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,225 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 05, 2013 - 02:46 AM

There is going to be a lot of speculation

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 05, 2013 - 04:24 AM

Not sure how giving a realistic perspective means being negative.  Why does it bother people that everyone isnt trying to line up and get to the Lakers?  If you look at the situation from an objective standpoint LA does not offer a better team than the Knicks at the time being.  Are the Knicks real contenders? Most likely not but in 2015 they have a clean slate as well.  So basically you are asking Melo to opt out and take less money to come to a team that is essentially rebuilding and counting on what will be a 36 year old man to be an elite player for multiple years after 2014.  If playing with Kobe and Pau in their late years is their only selling point the conversation isn't going to get very far. 

NY will a clean slate in 2015, so the prospect of getting Rondo, Love or any other 2015 free agent is a real deal.  Plus why would you want Melo clogging up capspace for the next 4 years when we could be building a new era of great young players via the draft and developing ala OKC

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#11 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,087 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 04:58 AM

It's the the New York Daily... I rarely ever take anything from or by them seriously.

Edited by JEN, August 05, 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,141 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 05, 2013 - 05:21 AM

Not sure how giving a realistic perspective means being negative.  Why does it bother people that everyone isnt trying to line up and get to the Lakers?  If you look at the situation from an objective standpoint LA does not offer a better team than the Knicks at the time being.  Are the Knicks real contenders? Most likely not but in 2015 they have a clean slate as well.  So basically you are asking Melo to opt out and take less money to come to a team that is essentially rebuilding and counting on what will be a 36 year old man to be an elite player for multiple years after 2014.  If playing with Kobe and Pau in their late years is their only selling point the conversation isn't going to get very far. 

NY will a clean slate in 2015, so the prospect of getting Rondo, Love or any other 2015 free agent is a real deal.  Plus why would you want Melo clogging up capspace for the next 4 years when we could be building a new era of great young players via the draft and developing ala OKC

Realistic?

Alright, let's look at the numbers if the Knicks wanted to sign Carmelo and LeBron over there.

Signing James could be prohibitively difficult, if not downright impossible, for a number of reasons.

For one, there's the complicated nature of the Knicks' finances. Per Hoopsworld, New York is currently slated to have over $94 million in cap holds heading into the summer of 2015.

Not that the Knicks should be too concerned with that. Subtracting the $84-plus-million in holds for 'Melo, Amar'e, Bargnani and Chandler leaves the Knicks with commitments of just over $10 million for Metta World Peace, incoming rookie C.J. Leslie and Iman Shumpert, who will be a restricted free agent in two years and, thus, due for a significant raise.

But that number doesn't include 'Melo's likely salary (upwards of $24 million) or the $13.4 million on the books between J.R. Smith (player option), Raymond Felton (player option), Pablo Prigioni (non-guaranteed) and rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. (team option).

Put all of that together, and the Knicks could, in practice, have well under $20 million in cap space to dispense, depending on how the NBA's revenue numbers pan out.

That likely wouldn't be enough to lure LeBron away from South Beach.

Article: Why LeBron to the Knicks is the ultimate pipe dream

doesn't look too good does it?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:36 AM

Who said anything about Lebron?  Honestly Lebron isn't even in the mix.  He's on a team that has a great chance to 3peat with one of the best front offices in the league.  Same reasons why Kobe decided to stick around in LA will be the same ones Lebron will stay in Miami. 

The problem we keep running into in these conversations about the Lakers future is guys think that they will be able to have their cake and eat it too.  You can't want the Kobe/Pau era to continue but want to sign Melo and if Lebron doesnt come 2014 is a team that can win games but no trophy.  Then you have to sell the person (most likely Melo) you are going to go after Rondo or some other talent in 2015.  At this point Melo is 31.  He isnt trying to rebuild in a new situation.  If the situation isnt for sure (ala having another big time star signing at the same time in Lebron) then 2014 in Lakerland really offers nothing more than losing in the 2nd round in NY and waiting til 2015 when the Knicks have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20M to sign a guy like Rondo. 

Think from the outside and not as fan with a dog in the fight. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:40 AM

You can't think like a fan when you are discussing future moves players will consider making.  You have to think from the player's POV.  In Melo's hand he has 2 options in NY/LA

LA is offering the opt to play with Kobe/Pau and possibly rebuild if Kobe isnt up to par and a chance to put a full team together in 2015 all for him taking less money

NY is offering a 2nd round team to ECF team now depending on who they play, more money and a chance to get a big time player in 2015 and for Melo to continue being the face of an org that has not had a star since Ewing left. 

#15 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,827 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Doesn't peter vescey work for the post? That would disqualify them as reputable news source.

#16 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,290 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:45 AM

I hope your trolling.

#17 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:56 AM

It's the the New York Daily... I rarely ever take anything from or by them seriously.

#18 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,438 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Please Melo, keep your distance from us..

#19 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,943 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:04 AM

Yea the team that overpaid for a run down Amare' and just brought in bargnani certainly looks more attractive then a roster that will basically just have Kobe next year. The Knicks are terrible at baskatball operations and bringing in players they actually need and will help a team win.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, August 05, 2013 - 08:05 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#20 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,554 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:08 AM

there is a year to go, so easy guys

who knows what could happen in a year

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users