• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Although I'm a Kobe fan, I'm not impervious to others' views when it comes to basketball. With that said, I cannot completely fathom why Kobe didn't win the MVP this past season. Maybe I'm just not educated enough as to what exactly earns an individual the season MVP. Regardless, here's why I believe Kobe deserved it:

1) Brain vs. Body - At the age of 34, Kobe either fought Father time or had The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. He efficiently produced 27.3/5.6/6.0

2) Clutch Confidence -  Kobe declared that the Lakers would make the playoffs, and he did everything in his will to ensure that. There were times when he played the complete amount of 48 min+ back to back. However, what really defines this category is Kobe's ability to excel in the clutch. Whether it be three 3-pointers in a row or a dunk on multiple players, Kobe found a way to will his team with a win. (Kobe didn't complain if his team wasn't playing well. Although this was after the MVP was handed, Lebron stated how "carrying the Heat reminded him of the Cleveland days" in Game 5 of the playoffs against the Pacers.)

3) Adjustments - This wasn't a Kobe that was just relentlessly shooting without deferring to his teammates. This was a Kobe that was willing to adjust his game. There were times he had back to back double-digit assists. I even remember one game where he didn't even attempt a field goal in the first half. He's the ONLY player in NBA history to record 40 points along with 10 assists at 34+ two games in a row.

4) Miscellaneous - Kobe plays in a tougher conference than Lebron, and the elite teams within that conference, such as the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, etc. didn't have injured stars out. Furthermore, the injuries destroyed the Lakers, so they weren't given a chance to build chemistry and establish a defensive scheme.

Now I understand Lebron had a significantly higher field goal percentage than Kobe along with more rebounds and assists. But he was also playing in a weaker conference. The Eastern Conference was even weaker when you consider how many stars were injured there. Derrick Rose was out the entire season. Danny Granger was out. Rajon Rondo suffered a torn ACL but luckily they won that game and almost won the other without Rondo to break Miami's streak. Dwight Howard transferred to the Western Conference. 

Since the Heat were relatively healthy and already had chemistry, their defense allowed Lebron to exploit fast break opportunities and attain easy dunks/points. And the opposing players always give Lebron extra space daring him to shoot a jump shot whereas Kobe isn't given the same privilege. His insane size allows him to rebound, post up and score easily in the paint. That's also part of why his field goal percentage is higher. In terms of his assists, he had better shooters around him. Drive it in, draw the defense, and dish it to Wade, Allen, Miller, Battier, Chalmers, etc. As a shooting guard, Kobe isn't expected to pass as much(especially when you have Steve Nash) , so his average six assists speaks itself. 

Personally, Kobe's degree of difficulty in achieving success for his team was significantly higher than Lebron's. The Heat's record and 27 win game streak wouldn't have been so high if Lebron was playing most of the season without Wade and Chalmers to go along with a 60-70% post-surgery Bosh who also injured his shoulder. And a multitude of other reasons. 

Feel free to post your opinions! 

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 03, 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#2 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 08:51 PM

First off, being clutch has nothing to do with being an MVP. If that were the case, Carmelo would have a MVP by now and LeBron wouldn't have won in 2009. Second, you mention that there were games where Kobe had double digit assist back to back. He also had games where he passed far more than he should have. Being a good passer means knowing when to pass and when to shoot. Thirdly, LeBron has always average more assists than Kobe. That's not Kobe's fault. LeBron just always looks for the open man. That's not how Kobe's mind works. And finally, this whole East/West thing is overblown. The Heat had the best record against the West out of all Eastern teams, which includes sweeping the season series with the Spurs, Thunder and our Lakers as well as beating the Clippers, Warriors and Nuggets, all great teams in their own right. LeBron led his team to the best record in the league and 2nd best winning streak of all time. As much as I hate the Heat and LeBron in general, the award was his to lose. 

#3 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:01 PM

LeBron put up unreal stat numbers and his team had the best record. Simple as that. 

#4 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:02 PM

In my opinion, the MVP should go to the best player in the NBA, since no such award currently exists. In that case, Kobe should have won it every year from 2003-2010 (except maybe 2005 due to injuries), and LeBron every year after that. 

If we're going by the best player on a top team standard, then LeBron still deserves it. He was in god mode last season, is a complete player now after adding the post game and improving his defense, and proved it by leading his team to the best record in the NBA and an NBA championship. 

#5 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:47 PM

First off, being clutch has nothing to do with being an MVP. If that were the case, Carmelo would have a MVP by now and LeBron wouldn't have won in 2009. Second, you mention that there were games where Kobe had double digit assist back to back. He also had games where he passed far more than he should have. Being a good passer means knowing when to pass and when to shoot. Thirdly, LeBron has always average more assists than Kobe. That's not Kobe's fault. LeBron just always looks for the open man. That's not how Kobe's mind works. And finally, this whole East/West thing is overblown. The Heat had the best record against the West out of all Eastern teams, which includes sweeping the season series with the Spurs, Thunder and our Lakers as well as beating the Clippers, Warriors and Nuggets, all great teams in their own right. LeBron led his team to the best record in the league and 2nd best winning streak of all time. As much as I hate the Heat and LeBron in general, the award was his to lose. 

Do you happen to post at Bleacher Report as well? Of course you could just be another 'Harry Styles,' but I had a debate with one at BR (Username = Vizor Banks)

I understand your points. I suppose the MVP goes to the individual with above average stats whose team also has the best (or close to the best) record in the NBA. I suppose I was looking at extraneous circumstances rather than stats and team winning percentage. 

Personally, I still feel Kobe deserved it had it not been for the Laker's sub-par record. Perhaps if the team was completely healthy and was able to gain one of the top two seeds, it would be a different story. 

#6 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Do you happen to post at Bleacher Report as well? Of course you could just be another 'Harry Styles,' but I had a debate with one at BR (Username = Vizor Banks)

I understand your points. I suppose the MVP goes to the individual with above average stats whose team also has the best (or close to the best) record in the NBA. I suppose I was looking at extraneous circumstances rather than stats and team winning percentage. 

Personally, I still feel Kobe deserved it had it not been for the Laker's sub-par record. Perhaps if the team was completely healthy and was able to gain one of the top two seeds, it would be a different story. 

Holy balls!!!!!!!!! That was me! If I came across as an ass, then I'm sorry. The people on that site make my hairs go gray. I would have loved for Kobe to win and I often had thoughts of him winning. But then as I began to think of it, there was no way LeBron wasn't winning. You're right though: if the Lakers would have secured a top 2 seed, I honestly believe Kobe would have taken it. 

Edited by Harry Styles, August 03, 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#7 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:56 PM

LeBron put up unreal stat numbers and his team had the best record. Simple as that. 

Kobe: 27.3/5.6/6.0

Lebron: 26.8/8.0/7.3

Props to Lebron, but Kobe's numbers aren't that bad. He isn't expected to rebound and assist too much. And with the injuries the Lakers suffered, there was more pressure on Kobe. If Nash, Gasol and Howard were all healthy, Kobe would have much more freedom to shoot, pass, rebound, etc. since teams would be hesitant to double-team him due to all the talent around him.

But I agree with the Heat having the best record.

#8 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:03 PM

Holy balls!!!!!!!!! That was me! If I came across as an ass, then I'm sorry. The people on that site make my hairs go gray. I would have loved for Kobe to win and I often had thoughts of him winning. But then as I began to think of it, there was no way LeBron wasn't winning. You're right though: if the Lakers would have secured a top 2 seed, I honestly believe Kobe would have taken it. 

LOL, no need to be sorry. Yeah, many people there aren't open to looking at a particular situation from various viewpoints. 

I'll side with the Lakers almost all the time (perhaps most of that due to me being a fan and having hope/optimism), but I'm always looking forward to people disagreeing with me and proving me wrong. 

If Lebron wins it again next year...ugh. But I give him credit. He's improved his game quite a lot every year.

#9 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:05 PM

In my opinion, the MVP should go to the best player in the NBA, since no such award currently exists. In that case, Kobe should have won it every year from 2003-2010 (except maybe 2005 due to injuries), and LeBron every year after that. 

If we're going by the best player on a top team standard, then LeBron still deserves it. He was in god mode last season, is a complete player now after adding the post game and improving his defense, and proved it by leading his team to the best record in the NBA and an NBA championship. 

I agree. His ability to improve his game from multifarious aspects was incredible.

#10 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:24 AM

its a popularity contest in which the media has always made every which excuse to make sure kobe doesnt get it 

#11 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,124 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:26 AM

For as long as a lebron has a prime he will be favored to win MVP. Sucks but that's the case

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,876 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think LeBron deserved it.

#13 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:58 AM

screw numbers

look at the lakers without him!

sure they had injuries, but without kobe, no playoffs

MVP=most valuable player

but of course, that's not how they see it nowadays

#14 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,524 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 04, 2013 - 12:36 PM

Lebron deserved it.  Historical run, historical stats, and the best regular season record.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#15 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 04, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Looks like harry loves him some lebron

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 04, 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think you missed the part where he said he hates the Heat and Lebron.  Giving respect and props doesnt mean you have to like. 

Looks like harry loves him some lebron

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#17 Rickety Cricket

Rickety Cricket

Rookie

• 13 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted August 04, 2013 - 02:54 PM

The MVP award is a joke now anyway. I stopped caring about MVPs when Nash robbed Kobe of 2 of them back when he was with Phoenix.

#18 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Kobe should of won it in 03, 06, 09, 10 and 13

03: his scoring and his valuable to the team
06: 1 man team
09: best player on the best team
10: 7 game winners.
13: putting up 27, 5, 6 at age 34. No players has played like him and was valuable to the team.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#19 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts
  • Name:Quinton

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Kobe three other MVPs are with Nash and Dirk! they clearly werent the best players in the league when they won..

#20 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts
  • Name:Quinton

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:35 AM

The MVP award is a joke now anyway. I stopped caring about MVPs when Nash robbed Kobe of 2 of them back when he was with Pho

The MVP award is a joke now anyway. I stopped caring about MVPs when Nash robbed Kobe of 2 of them back when he was with Phoenix.

Exactly!!! Dont leave out Dirk too.. The league hates Kobe and didnt mind throwing it in his face! The Suns system has infiltrated our team too with their garbage style that has never won anything

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users