#1 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,524 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:36 AM

Yes, you can call me crazy if you'd like.  I know alot of you guys hate Bynum but I sometimes find myself watching some of his highlight videos and can't help but miss having him on the team.  If only he was a bit more mature, dedicated, and motivated it would have been scary to see the kind of player he could have potentially become.  Alot of fans forget that the Lakers drafted him with the 10th pick in 2005 and he's by far our best pick ever since Kobe and our franchise and front office developed one heck of an offensive player.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Why? When he was at his best we didn't win anything and he was hit or miss when we needed him.  Don't miss him one bit.  Plus his knees are shot

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,524 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Why? When he was at his best we didn't win anything and he was hit or miss when we needed him.  Don't miss him one bit.  Plus his knees are shot

I always found his post game interviews entertaining, and his post offense was impeccable arguably the best in the league while he was in LA.  And I disagree how you basically implied he was useless in the Lakers back to back run in 09-10.  He was a solid presence off the bench and backed up Gasol perfectly.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,153 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:05 AM

I always felt that had to do with his role being increased directly before the playoffs, when he was the 3rd option behind Pau they actually worked quite well and shared the post pretty well.

The thing Phil did wrong was give priority to Bynum fully, mainly because he saw Pau starting to decline, it still worked till the 2nd round where we lost to the better team we SHOULD have beaten but as Phil has discussed, telling them about what he was going through may have been a bit much, could have had a lot to do with why they burned out so early, that "effort" should have been saved for the playoffs.

Anyway, then when Mike Brown came in he, instead of Pau and Bynum sharing the post, ran 4 out 1 in where Pau was mainly a power forward.  This was disasterous, not because he was playing Pau out of position(which is the usual excuse) but because Pau's jumper was no longer as reliable, nor did he have the legs to keep up with 4s anymore, Pau's knees have been a problem for the past 2 years and playing the 4 exhausts that.

The two times Bynum and Pau worked were under two circumstances, one was when they shared the post equally and Pau got seniority(which is why Bynum started developing a mid range jump shot), the other time was when they ran high low with each other which was an unstoppable combination.

The sad thing is they were a better fit than was Pau and Dwight strictly because Dwight refused to run high low with Pau.  Bynum and Pau did this often, even running pick and roll with each other, when they had that down they were deadly.

People seem to forget how much of a terror Bynum and Pau looked like before Bynum's second knee injury, they also forget that Bynum played 30 mins a game against OKC in that first round on one leg till his knee could take no more and Phil had to reduce his minutes.

We didn't look any less devastating with him and Pau both on the court at the same time and OKC learned that the hard way before Bynum had to have his minutes cut down.

So the notion that we somehow wouldn't have been successful when Bynum was getting minutes is pretty untrue, we'd have won the championship that year still.  Bynum had reduced minutes and we still beat the Celtics with him playing on one leg and struggling through it.   Had that been Bynum at full strength with the chemistry Pau and Bynum showed prior to the knee injury that series doesn't go seven.

Our three-peat attempt comes down to two things. 

One was giving Bynum post priority over Pau and diminishing Pau's role and waiting for the playoffs to do it because of the way we finished the season(I think we lost 5 straight or something like that after that 17-1 run and we LOOKED like a burnt out team) , and two, all our bad habits catching up to us.

Then of course the next coach we had wanted to run 4 out 1 in, and Bynum was an all-star but the thing is Gasol can't keep up with 4s anymore, nor chase people down on pick and rolls when Bynum either would, or would not commit to shutting them down, so that was a problem from the start.   So when your 4 and 5 defensively are at that kind of wits end, you either get a shut down paint(when Bynum hosted a block party against Dwight and the Magic or against the Nuggets in the first game where he actually decided to guard against the pick and roll)  or you either got a wide open paint like you saw a lot of the time.

The second thing it comes down to this

Bynum's defensive habits disappeared with the departure of one person from our coaching staff.

Kurt Rambis.    Our defensive assistant who not only finally convinced Phil to implement some zone into our defensive strategies but was also responsible for working with our BIG MEN and their defensive tendencies.

Kurt Rambis left after our two-peat and defensively we weren't the same team and our bad habits piled up like no tomorrow, ESPECIALLY in our big men,  Bynum who had once hedged on pick and rolls effectively or at least attempted to stop point guards on drives, developed those lazy tendencies and all that he'd shown in his first two years on the defensive end all but disappeared except in spots.

Rambis's departure I always felt was tied to that at least to an extent and ultimately it hurt our team in the long run cause without a proper defensive assistant we came a cropper once "talent" was no longer enough.

We went from a team that could gut it out against the Celtics when our star had a bad night because of our defense, to a team that fell for the same play against Dallas over and over and over and over again till we got swept.

Ron Artest's declining health and nerve damage as well as Kobe being on one leg was a bad part of it too, but as a TEAM we weren't defending well, with or without them being healthy and that was a major difference I noticed from us when I compared how we played the year prior.

Just my two cents really but I always felt the departure of Rambis had something to do with why the bigman defense took such a flop and our team defense took an atrocious backwards step and it seemed like we played on talent alone that three-peat attempt year.

Edited by Majesty, August 03, 2013 - 11:10 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 813 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 03, 2013 - 12:36 PM

very nice soft touch

#6 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 03, 2013 - 12:58 PM

this

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Phil didn't do anything wrong Majesty.  Phil did what was right for the team and at that time Bynum wasnt ready and quite honestly wasnt all that needed to win in 09 and 10.  What the front office should have done (in an ideal world Bynum's knees dont collapse), is trade Pau after the 2011 season after the CP3 trade fell through if they felt Bynum was on the up and up. 

Not sure why guys think the Bynum/Pau combo worked.  It was never used that much.  The Bynum/Pau combo logged less minutes than Pau/Odom or Bynum/Odom combo I believe during our best years.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 02:21 PM

He would've left via FA this summer anyways

#9 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,586 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 03, 2013 - 03:02 PM

he was a nice player...

he wanted to win... when the team wasn't winning, it made him unhappy...
he wanted to win... he wanted to dominate...

I like Bynum a LOT...
I defended him for many years...

from his start as a big, lanky rookie, who couldn't get off the bench for Phil Jackson... to the best center in the NBA

• 40,404 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 03:16 PM

I remember before the major & consistent injuries (I believe his first breakout year before going down most of the season) he was dunking like a mad man. Even finishing AND-1s with dunks consistently so strong, beastly, & athletically. I mean it was the most athletic Bynum you'll ever see. I'll never forget that time.

Edited by    , August 03, 2013 - 03:17 PM.

yo.

#11 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 03, 2013 - 04:39 PM

he was a nice player...

I like Bynum a LOT...

from his start as a big, lanky rookie, who couldn't get off the bench for Phil Jackson... to the best center in the NBA

Hes never been the best center in the Nba. That was Dwight

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,925 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 05, 2013 - 11:26 PM

No idea why you'd miss a mentally deficient player who doesn't want to play, doesn't want to learn and is only in it for the money - but hey to each their own I guess.

P.S. - For the millionth time Bynum did little to nothing to help the Lakers win.  The credit for the work in the paint goes to Pau both of the recent championship years.  Anwyay...

#13 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,753 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:03 AM

This thread gave me a cancer.

33bkfif.jpg

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 05:57 AM

Lol at him being the best anything

he was a nice player...

I like Bynum a LOT...

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 06:09 AM

I question that Bynum was ever better than Pau.  Younger with more potential? Sure.  Better player? No. They dealt with Bynum and Pau assets all wrong.  Bynum for Howard (not considering him walking) was a perfect upgrade but Pau should have been traded to let him flourish after that CP3 trade fell through. 

#16 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,341 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:03 PM

During the whole year watching Dwight, it's pretty easy to miss Bynum. Had his mental stuff, but got stuff done on the court...Never f'd up at the end of games, made his free throws, turnovers weren't that bad. Also, loved that he didn't have a [expletive] clown personality like Dwight.

Even though he sort of insulted our fan-base, I'll still root for him.

Edited by fido, August 06, 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#17 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,925 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:07 PM

leor_77, you know better.

Don't dodge the profanity filter!

What is going with some of you guys lately?!  Jeez!

#18 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,257 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 06, 2013 - 01:20 PM

leor_77, you know better.

Don't dodge the profanity filter!

What is going with some of you guys lately?!  Jeez!

Lol. Good 'ol Fido.

#19 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 03:17 PM

You seem to have a very very short memory of the bad stuff in the 11-12 season with Bynum...hate D12 all you want but Bynum has never been the player he is. 

During the whole year watching Dwight, it's pretty easy to miss Bynum. Had his mental stuff, but got stuff done on the court...Never f'd up at the end of games, made his free throws, turnovers weren't that bad. Also, loved that he didn't have a [expletive] clown personality like Dwight.

Even though he sort of insulted our fan-base, I'll still root for him.

#20 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:03 PM

i'll come back to this topic at the mid point of next season to offer my opinions on Bynum. I want to see how well he does in Cleveland. 

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users