Photo

Kurt Rambis wants the Lakers to be a top defensive team; plans to fix the Lakers' defense

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,462 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 04, 2013 - 05:37 PM

L.A.K.E.R, once again you fail to disappoint. What you said was all completely right and factual. Lakers will be a horrible defensive team and that's going to cost them a ton of games. People need to accept this and move on. If Kobe and Gasol need Rambis to convince them to play defense, you're going to have a crap ton of problems. 

#62 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 04, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Everyone's  precipice when predicting poor performance this upcoming season,  is "Kobe won't be the same".

If he's Kobe from 2011 or 2012, which was still elite but less efficient, and less athletic.

I'll take that with Nash being a better offensive option than Fisher in the starting backcourt.

i think we will be FINE in the perimeter and solid if not good in the post.

that's the offensive side of the ball.

Defensively, I think we are smarter than a few teams, and that should help us there.

I think Kobe will be fine, his determination should offset his lack of whatever he may or may not lack physically.

#63 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,462 posts

Nash will score more than derek Fisher who we won championship with going against Westbrook and Parker and all these guys

And he will give up twice as much on defense. You people need to stop concerning yourselves with offense. Offense was never the problem. The Lakers were in the top 10 in offense and they still barely made the playoffs. Westbrook is in a different league compared to the player he was then. 

#64 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts

L.A.K.E.R, once again you fail to disappoint. What you said was all completely right and factual. Lakers will be a horrible defensive team and that's going to cost them a ton of games. People need to accept this and move on. If Kobe and Gasol need Rambis to convince them to play defense, you're going to have a crap ton of problems. 

Wht?

Who are you really?

#65 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,120 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 04, 2013 - 05:52 PM

And he will give up twice as much on defense. You people need to stop concerning yourselves with offense. Offense was never the problem. The Lakers were in the top 10 in offense and they still barely made the playoffs. Westbrook is in a different league compared to the player he was then. 

Offense WAS the problem.

More so "a" problem and not "THE" only problem

We had no true offensive structure till the second half of the season and even then only because Nash finally adjusted to his off-ball role, Dwight started actually trying and Kobe played at a very high level and Gasol finally stopped "Pauting" and Blake came into his own.

It wasn't because of any of the other guys on our unit knew what to do offensively or defensively and Kobe had to play 43 mins a game for us to win.  Steve Nash said it perfectly "we were 'winning' at a high level.. but we weren't 'playing' at a high level as a team.

The reason Kobe had to play 43+ mins a night was because of the points we constantly gave up on the defensive end off of simple mistakes, like rotating pick and rolls properly, hedging correctly, playing team defense.

We had no rhythm on the defensive end and that was a major issue that we got Rambis top fix.

he won't have to "convince" Gasol or Kobe to play defense, his job is to get everyone else on the team buying into a 'team defense' concept, knowing how to hedge properly, and knowing when to switch on pick and rolls, learning each other's defensive habits so that we can actually play as a unit.

Like the Hulk said in the Avengers "This isn't a team..it's a timebomb"  That was us last year.

Edited by Majesty, August 04, 2013 - 05:58 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#66 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,462 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Wht?

Who are you really?

I'm Harry Styles. Can you not read my username?

#67 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Everyone's  precipice when predicting poor performance this upcoming season,  is "MDA is our head coach".

kobe-youre-welcome.gif

Pau Gasol is GONE

#68 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,462 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:03 PM

I seriously don't see how a team ranked 6th in PPG and 9th in offensive efficiency has problems on offense. They didn't have any set offense the entire year. D'Antoni said himself that he just lets them play. We don't need to improve on offense. Trying to outscore the opponent didn't get D'Antoni anywhere in his career. Why is it going to work with a 40 year old Nash?

#69 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,120 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:23 PM

I seriously don't see how a team ranked 6th in PPG and 9th in offensive efficiency has problems on offense. They didn't have any set offense the entire year. D'Antoni said himself that he just lets them play. We don't need to improve on offense. Trying to outscore the opponent didn't get D'Antoni anywhere in his career. Why is it going to work with a 40 year old Nash?

Then you should have watched the games and seen how much of a mess things were and how unccordinated all but maybe 3 people on our team were.   Stats don't tell that.

#70 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Lol at these people thinking our defense will be any worse than last year after the Rambis signing.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#71 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,631 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Here's a good defensive scheme for us: hold the ball on offense for as long as possible. Shoot with 23 seconds on the shot clock every time, that way the other teams have a limited amount of possessions. That's the only hope for defense that we have.

Our players are old, slow, and most of them just flat out suck defensively. And people think Kurt Rambis is gonna magically whip this roster up into a respectable defense. Are you kidding me? You can have the best coaches in the world but at this level if you don't have the personnel required to execute, you're going to struggle.

Pau knows how to hedge. He's too freaking slow to do it. He gets out, can't recover in time, and is forced to switch. Teams LOVE running pick and roll when Pau is on the floor.

Kobe knows to close out on shooters. He hardly ever does it anymore though, because it's asking too much of him to be the leading scorer, primary ball handler, and play solid defense at this stage in his career.

Having all the basketball knowledge in the world won't make a difference if you can't physically put it to use. You think these young guys in the league give a crap about the Lakers team defense? Hell no. They see a 40 year old Nash, 35 year old Kobe, and 33 year old Pau Gasol down low and they salivate. That's a defense just waiting to be picked apart. Pick and roll, drive and kick, iso...we ain't stopping anything this year. It's gonna be rough.

If you truly believe Rambis is gonna make a difference though, good for you, honestly. I wish I was that optimistic, but I look at this roster and don't see any possible way this team could succeed. Too old, too injury prone, too slow, just not good enough.

#72 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,120 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Here's a good defensive scheme for us: hold the ball on offense for as long as possible. Shoot with 23 seconds on the shot clock every time, that way the other teams have a limited amount of possessions. That's the only hope for defense that we have.

Our players are old, slow, and most of them just flat out suck defensively. And people think Kurt Rambis is gonna magically whip this roster up into a respectable defense. Are you kidding me? You can have the best coaches in the world but at this level if you don't have the personnel required to execute, you're going to struggle.

Pau knows how to hedge. He's too freaking slow to do it. He gets out, can't recover in time, and is forced to switch. Teams LOVE running pick and roll when Pau is on the floor.

Kobe knows to close out on shooters. He hardly ever does it anymore though, because it's asking too much of him to be the leading scorer, primary ball handler, and play solid defense at this stage in his career.

Having all the basketball knowledge in the world won't make a difference if you can't physically put it to use. You think these young guys in the league give a crap about the Lakers team defense? Hell no. They see a 40 year old Nash, 35 year old Kobe, and 33 year old Pau Gasol down low and they salivate. That's a defense just waiting to be picked apart. Pick and roll, drive and kick, iso...we ain't stopping anything this year. It's gonna be rough.

If you truly believe Rambis is gonna make a difference though, good for you, honestly. I wish I was that optimistic, but I look at this roster and don't see any possible way this team could succeed. Too old, too injury prone, too slow, just not good enough.

Old....

Our team average age is 28.5

Kobe, Nash, Gasol and Kaman and Blake are our only players over 30 and Kaman is only 31...

Edited by Majesty, August 04, 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#73 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,861 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Nash will score more than derek Fisher who we won championship with going against Westbrook and Parker and all these guys

Irrelevant. We won championships because we had a prime Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, the best one-two punch in the league at the time. That was 4 years ago. We don't have that anymore.

Old....

Kobe, Nash, Gasol and Kaman and Blake are our only players over 30 and Kaman is only 31...

Yes, our three best players will be 35 (Kobe), 39 (Nash) and 33 (Gasol). That's pretty damn old. They'll be playing the majority of minutes at their given position, and none are capable defensively at this point in their careers.

Kobe can't take on both the scoring load AND having to lock down his man defensively like he would 4-5 years ago. Pau is a lost cause on that end of the floor and let's not start with Nash and his potential match-ups. We don't have anyone to slide in at the SF slot capable of defending All-Star caliber talent either, much less a superstar. So we're looking at 3 holes on the perimeter with slow-footed Kaman and Gasol as our last lines of defense. That's a recipe for disaster.

#74 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Well, as a fan, I HOPE we can get production from Hill and Nick young that would be akin to Tiago Splitter and Leonard. I'm hoping Meeks can be a Gary Neal type of player. i'm hoping that Kobe is as dedicated to proving people he has at least one more ELITE year as he says he is. things can obviously go the other way. We all know what a team looks like when all the things that can go wrong do. that was illustrated perfectly last season.

We are banking on Kaman having a solid season. 70 games at 10-12 and 6-8

We're hoping Wes J can look something like Shumpert,Ariza,Avery Bradley or Tony Allen. He has better TOOLS than a Keith Bogans or even Bruce Bowen so I thought those comparisons would be inaccurate.

Obviously, it's not set in stone that young players with potential improve, but he showed signs and he's in a group with other young guys who were good in college(Farmar,Young,Hill) and picked high in the draft and so on, so perhaps the environment, with the LEADERSHIP of Kobe( which i think the injury humbled Kobe a bit more) and Nash and gasol, will produce a healthy winning mentality.

We hope and think that Rambis is a great mentor for Hill. I know KR see a bits of himself in that style and he can talk him into being better under there as far as rotations from the weakside.

So, if our old guys can stay healthy, Kobe, even as a 20,5,5 guy at 45%,, nash as a 12 and 8 guy at 48% and Pau as a 18 and 8 guy at 52% with every other vet(meeks,Blake,Kaman) playing solid games from what we know they can do, and the young guys all grow and form a  bench similar to what the Clippers looked like two seasons ago, or the Nuggets last season

Where Farmar,Young,Johnson,Hill and Kaman can compensate for Kobe,Nash,Gasol,Blake, and Meeks not being young or consistent in Meeks' case

#75 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,510 posts
  • Name:Matt

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Lol at these people thinking our defense will be any worse than last year after the Rambis signing.

It will be. No Dwight. No Clark. Kobe coming off of a major injury.

I like what Rambis brings, but he has near ZERO tools to work with defensively.

#76 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 05, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Didn't we have the so called "best defensive coach of the year in 2008"  name Mike Brown and end up having one of the worst defensive job in the NBA?  Nothing against Rambis. I think he is a great coach.  But we all know why Rambis was hired. It is mostly for PR move and holding the seat warm for the next head coach coming in 2014 or maybe his job pretty soon.  One can only hope.

Edited by epicwolf, August 05, 2013 - 01:47 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#77 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,837 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 05, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Funny how you used the young guys that wont be playing much to help that number.  How about avg out the top 8 guys and see what you come up with.  Sacre, Harris, Kelly arent seeing much action buddy

Old....

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#78 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,120 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 03:23 PM

Irrelevant. We won championships because we had a prime Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, the best one-two punch in the league at the time. That was 4 years ago. We don't have that anymore.

Yes, our three best players will be 35 (Kobe), 39 (Nash) and 33 (Gasol). That's pretty damn old. They'll be playing the majority of minutes at their given position, and none are capable defensively at this point in their careers.

Kobe can't take on both the scoring load AND having to lock down his man defensively like he would 4-5 years ago. Pau is a lost cause on that end of the floor and let's not start with Nash and his potential match-ups. We don't have anyone to slide in at the SF slot capable of defending All-Star caliber talent either, much less a superstar. So we're looking at 3 holes on the perimeter with slow-footed Kaman and Gasol as our last lines of defense. That's a recipe for disaster.

I get what you're saying.  So here is my reply.   You could be fully right.  But here's the end of it I think Kurt sees us using as an advantage for those problems.

That's why we got Wesley Johnson and Rambis seems to have an unshakable faith in him defensively, and if his second half of the season last year is any indication of the improvements he's made then I would gather that he would be the guy defending over Kobe.

Gasol is a better defender at the 5 as well as a more proficient scorer.  Sticking Gasol at the 5 means he doesn't have to chase down people from the 4 position anymore, which is a much better scenario.

You have Hill doing that instead.   So our defense at the 4 has improved.   Kobe doesn't have to play as many minutes as he used to, strictly because we got 2 or 3 people that can play at his position to cut down his minutes and we have 2 people that can play Nash's position in Blake and Farmar that could spell him just fine, and honestly it's a perfect scenario for Farmar who is young, can defend a little and can push tempo and push pace in a pick and role offense as well as playing off ball(but that's a whole other thread)

I think a lot of this lays on, aside from what Rambis helps us do in terms of team defense, how well Wesley Johnson does. 

Which actually was about to be the next thing I posted from Kurt

Kurt Rambis happy to reunite with Wesley Johnson

When Kurt Rambis meets up with the Lakers in training camp as an assistant to Coach Mike D'Antoni, he'll reunite with a number of players he's previously coached.

In addition to Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar, Rambis will get to work again with guard/forward Wesley Johnson.

Johnson was originally drafted with the fourth overall pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2010. Rambis served as head coach for two years in Minnesota, including the 2010-11 season with Johnson as a rookie.

"Wesley is a great kid. He's terrific. He's a willing learner [and] listener," Rambis told The Times in a recent phone interview. "He did everything that we asked him to do."

When General Manager Mitch Kupchak introduced Johnson in July, he noted the 6-foot-7, 26-year-old has the chance to follow in the footsteps of noted Lakers defenders Michael Cooper and Trevor Ariza.

"We see his length and his mobility and his athleticism being the characteristics to be a good defensive player," Rambis said. "It'll be our job to help bring that out in him."

Offensively, Rambis reiterated, Johnson needs to help spread the floor.

"He's got to be a consistent outside threat," Rambis said.

READ MORE HERE:

IT seems to me that what Rambis has in mind is trying to take advantage of Wesley's length and youth and athleticism on the defensive end.  I don't doubt Kurt's ability to work with people and bring the best out of them as an assistant, it's all about structure really, we have a set roster, there aren't 20 thousand things happening and there are also very capable veterans on the team.

Comes down to basics, and I hope along with anyone that wants the team to succeed that Rambis is able to hammer that home.

The problem with our defense last year among the many other things I've quoted is that no one backed each other up, there was no structure, we'd stick a guy out there and say "alright defend your man I'll defend mine" and there was no help or any focus on watching the ball and the guy you're defending. 

Little things like that matter. 

Nash was stuck in that situation as an "iso" defender.  How stupid does that sound?

The only times when I agreed with how Nash was used on the defensive end was when he had to defend people that were one dimensional shooters(he shut down Danny Green rather easily because of this) so when it comes down to a matchup and a guys only job is to be a floor spreading 3 point shooter and Nash was put on him, while other people guarded more athletic drivers etc, I didn't mind that. 

What you have in Wesley Johnson is someone with the "potential" to guard 2s and 3s, you also have Jordan Hill who is a capable defender in the lane as well as a help defender, which means he likely won't let people get behind Gasol for an easy score if Gasol rotates to rim protect, because Hill is a hustle guy, he'll be looking for those passes and looking for the help side blocks.

We won't be leaving Nash out on an island like last year, that's what the whole team defense aspect is about and if Nash is doing terribly we'll just switch him out with Farmar or Blake who are better defenders, Farmar with which can actually push the tempo as well if he wanted to. 

So basically what Rambis has to do is help us get a defensive rhythm or a team defensive rhythm, he stressed that us playing team defense is very important and we've got to know where other players are gonna want to attack.

Thus KNOWING that they are gonna attack Nash is an advantage for us because we can prepare for it.  

Last year we pretty much told Nash "guard this guy. Good luck!" and there was no support.

That won't be the case this year and that can be a major difference.

Edited by Majesty, August 05, 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#79 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,837 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:22 PM

I think Majesty just posts to convince himself this team is going to be a good defensive team.  You don't really believe it.  You are in the stage of death called denial sir.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#80 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,645 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 05, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Muscle tissue isn't like bones or cartilage. If the muscle is scarred that part stops being functional its just fibrous tissue, it stops from being elastic, there arent cells using ATP in those section.

A tendon is an extension of the muscle.
So im waery about kobe comeback, i dont doubt his will, but the human body is another thing... Unless he got access to experimental treatments :)
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users