Photo

Kurt Rambis wants the Lakers to be a top defensive team; plans to fix the Lakers' defense

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,908 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:28 PM

When he gets the head coaching gig after D'Antoni is fired, I'm sure they will be.

#22 Rickety Cricket

Rickety Cricket

Rookie

• 13 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Yea.....and I want my dick to be bigger then 2 inches. Just not happening.

#23 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:33 PM

It's not hard to teach defense.  It's about the team's committment to sticking with the game plan.  San Antonio takes matadors and make them good team defenders on a yearly basis. 

Defense in the NBA is more about rotations, help and effort than it is about having great individual defenders, which is the point of the article.  If they commit to defense whole-heartedly and play smarter, this team has more than enough youth, length and athleticism to defend at a top 10 level in the NBA this season.

Who is going to sacrifice individual offensive stats to expend max energy on defense?  That's my worry...

And just so you guys know, Kobe's going to try to prove that he still one of the best players in the NBA...not looking forward to that...it's unneccessary...but like the Sun coming up in the morning, it will happen.

If we can change the culture of this team, we can do pretty much anything.  We have enough talent...actually as much talent as our 2009 team...

#24 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,908 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:34 PM

Rickety Cricket - try not to be vulgar, it's not funny.

Thanks.

#25 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,866 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:41 PM

It's not hard to teach defense.  It's about the team's committment to sticking with the game plan.  San Antonio takes matadors and make them good team defenders on a yearly basis. 

Defense in the NBA is more about rotations, help and effort than it is about having great individual defenders, which is the point of the article.  If they commit to defense whole-heartedly and play smarter, this team has more than enough youth, length and athleticism to defend at a top 10 level in the NBA this season.

Who is going to sacrifice individual offensive stats to expend max energy on defense?  That's my worry...

Wes Johnson, Hill,Blake,Kaman

And just so you guys know, Kobe's going to try to prove that he still one of the best players in the NBA...not looking forward to that...it's unneccessary...but like the Sun coming up in the morning, it will happen.

Kobe is Kobe. he brought us five, he is who he is, and he can't be the Kobe you want him to be bc what makes him Kobe is what he is.

If we can change the culture of this team, we can do pretty much anything.  We have enough talent...actually as much talent as our 2009 team...

:facepalm:

#26 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,430 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Awesome actually. At least Rambo has a goal other than simply "win the chip". That's progress actually. Now all we need is Rambo to take over and get players who can actually play defense and were ready to rock. Probably 3 years or so.

#27 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,025 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:42 AM

From our very own Pincus.  Rambis talks more about some of the Lakers problems, instantly saying yes, and challenging D'antoni constructively. 

Kurt Rambis has been a part of the Lakers organization for longer than he can remember.

"It's been quite a few years," said Rambis to The Times in a phone interview on Thursday.

Now he's back on the bench, as an assistant to Coach Mike D'Antoni.

"Mike asked me if I wanted to do it.  I said absolutely," said Rambis. "I didn't say I'll get back to you in a few days.  I said absolutely, I'd love to do it."

Dating to his days as power forward for the Lakers during the "Showtime" era, Rambis has spent about 22 years with the franchise, in one capacity or another (head coach, assistant coach and front office).

After a head coaching stint with the Minnesota Timberwolves, Rambis joined Time Warner Cable SportsNet as an analyst, a role in which he was often critical of the Lakers last season.

"I always felt that what I tried to do as an analyst was try and point out things the team was doing wrong -- things that I thought they could be doing better," he said.  "When you look at a veteran laden team that was very talented, on paper, they did not play up to their potential."

Rambis isn't coming to the Lakers to be a "yes man" to D'Antoni.  He hopes to challenge him constructively, which he sees as the role of an assistant coach.

"We as a coaching staff have to continue to challenge each other [with] different ideas," he said.  "I believe Mike feels the same way -- if you hire assistants that think exactly the way that you do, you really don't need the assistant."

Read More Here: http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2avo7y9My

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#28 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,738 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Kurt is delusional and anyone that thinks this team can be a top defensive team is to.  We just dont have the players. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#29 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:18 AM

I hope that I can marry Jennifer Lawrence. Things don't happen just because you hope they do. Maybe Rambis turns this into a great defensive team and maybe I bang Lawrence. Who really knows?

#30 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Kurt is delusional and anyone that thinks this team can be a top defensive team is to.  We just dont have the players. 

It doesn't take the best defensive players to be a good defensive team. Key word is team.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#31 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,025 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:27 AM

I hope that I can marry Jennifer Lawrence. Things don't happen just because you hope they do. Maybe Rambis turns this into a great defensive team and maybe I bang Lawrence. Who really knows?

That's why Rambis was hired and will put in the work, time and effort into doing so.

If you're intent on marrying Jennifer Lawrence perhaps you'd better get to work on meeting her, getting to know her and putting in the work to form a bonding relationship.

Kurt's advantage over you is that he was hired by the team to do what he is saying and gets to work with the team every day.

You getting to hired to work on a TV show set with Jennifer Lawrence so you can see her every day to make those things happen may be a tougher stretch :(  Good luck though.

Edited by Majesty, August 03, 2013 - 11:28 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#32 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:30 AM

2012/13 Season Defense Top-10

1. Indiana Pacers (99.8)

2. Memphis Grizzlies (100.3)

3. San Antonio Spurs (101.6)

4. Oklahoma City Thunder (102.6)

5. Washington Wizards (103.0)

6. Chicago Bulls (103.2)

7. Boston Celtics (103.3)

8. Los Angeles Clippers (103.6)

9. Miami Heat (103.7)

10. Atlanta Hawks (104.4)

20. Los Angeles Lakers (106.6)

We are not gonna become a Top-10 team easily. First we need to learn how to rotate on defensive assignments. Luckily though we added some quickness and Johnson/Farmar/Young should cover our weaknesses on perimeter. Not completely, but with a bit of collective effort it can be possible.

The goal for us should be to keep the opposition at max. 98 points per game, with keeping the pace at a similar floor. When you looked at it, we were at league average in both oppositon FG% and defending the downtown area. Somehow we ranked at top in FT% category. Blake (if he is the primary backup) can at least react to his attacker. In 2nd unit with more activity there we should do better this season. Jamison won't be playing another 1636 minutes, because, well, he is gone. Same with Duhon (820 minutes) compared to primary backup Blake (1175min).

04/05 Phoenix Suns (62-20) ranked 17th defensively. 05/06 Suns were 16th (right at league average) with Marion and Raja Bell as their top defenders. If we can show a bit effort, and aggressiveness on that end we can climb up maybe 5 more ranks on that ladder but it will have propelled our offense with fast break options (with Farmar, Young, Meeks, Wes, Nash..) and result in easy transition buckets. Kobe and Pau also excel in such situations when the opponent haven't settled yet, with their skillful touches around the paint.

Once our rotations settle, we are gonna be more organized even without a defensive anchor. We don't need to be a Top defending team.

#33 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:32 AM

That's why Rambis was hired and will put in the work, time and effort into doing so.

If you're intent on marrying Jennifer Lawrence perhaps you'd better get to work on meeting her, getting to know her and putting in the work to form a bonding relationship.

Kurt's advantage over you is that he was hired by the team to do what he is saying and gets to work with the team every day.

You getting to hired to work on a TV show set with Jennifer Lawrence so you can see her every day to make those things happen may be a tougher stretch :(  Good luck though.

Thanks..One can dream, right?

#34 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 03, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Impossible. It's like he hasn't even looked over our roster yet.

#35 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,120 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 03, 2013 - 01:36 PM

Top 12 or 15 ill be happy

#36 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 02:31 PM

Impossible. It's like he hasn't even looked over our roster yet.

IMPOSSIBLE?

I think a lot of people forget that most of those stats about points in the paint came off TRANSITION buckets...where we were just too slow to change ends or set up our half-court defense.  Considering all of the different lineups we HAD to throw out there due to injury, we spent a lot of time with our BACK-UPS against other teams' STARTERS, which will sink your defensive rating faster than anything else.

AND (yes there is an "AND") not ONE starter played the entire season without a major injury...Nash broke a bone/ Kobe tore his achilles/ MWP had knee surgery/ Pau had plantar fasciitis/ Dwight spent the first 6 months in LA trying to play himself back into shape following MAJOR back surgery...

Even Jordan Hill has major surgery off the bench.

There are a LOT of other reasons we were bad defensively and can be instantly better this year IF we don't get married to the injury bug again...

Add in the fact that we actually have a defensive coach on the staff and you think it's IMPOSSIBLE for this team of young hungry, long athletic players to finish in the top 10 defensively?

I'll take that bet.

#37 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,738 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 03, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Guys will believe anything if someone pro Lakers says it.  Kurt Rambis coached the T'Wolves like 3 years or so and I don't think they ever won over 25 games.  This notion that Rambis > MDA as a head coach is stupid.  Hasn't been proven that Rambis can be a head coach.  He was a great asst the time he had with Phil.  He didnt work magic then because we actually had solid defensive players. 

It's an insult to the bball community to act like no one else could get these guys like Kaman, Johnson (who actually played under Rambis), Pau, and Nick Young of all people are going to start being solid defenders.  Its 50/50.  You can have all the schemes but if you don't have the tools to make it work it won't work. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#38 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Guys will believe anything if someone pro Lakers says it.  Kurt Rambis coached the T'Wolves like 3 years or so and I don't think they ever won over 25 games.  This notion that Rambis > MDA as a head coach is stupid.  Hasn't been proven that Rambis can be a head coach.  He was a great asst the time he had with Phil.  He didnt work magic then because we actually had solid defensive players. 

It's an insult to the bball community to act like no one else could get these guys like Kaman, Johnson (who actually played under Rambis), Pau, and Nick Young of all people are going to start being solid defenders.  Its 50/50.  You can have all the schemes but if you don't have the tools to make it work it won't work. 

This. Without the necessary tools to make the scheme work, it's gonna fall flat on its ass. 

#39 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,376 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 05:11 PM

The reason the Timberwolves won such a low amount of games when Rambis was the head coach was because the team didn't have enough talent. If Doc Rivers coached the now rebuilding Celtics and won only 25 games, one would not label him as not being capable of being a head coach. Everyone starts somewhere, Rambis can't be judged by his time with the Timberwolves. 

Rambis can preach team defense. Rotations, help defense, and effort. Having younger, athletic players now on our roster will certainly help not only in terms of how much effort they can exert on defense but also having fast legs that can assist the Lakers on their transition defense. You don't have to be an elite defensive team to win a championship. Even elite defensive teams like the  Pacers and Grizzlies struggled in other areas, such as offense. If you can't score, you can't win. 

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 03, 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#40 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 05:14 PM

If were not a "top" defensive team next year, whatever. 2014 and 2015 are gonna be good years for us.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users