#101 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 07, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Kobe never choked. He played almost every single minute of that series and while he did try to do too much and as a result shot himself out of the game, he never choked. Choking is being passive, imo. Not missing shots. 

James Harden scoring in single digits in 3 games against the Heat, that's choking. 

Lebron James against the Mavs, not scoring in several 4th quarters, that's choking. 

By definition, choking is the failure to perform up to standard when one is favored to win a game or tournament. The Lakers were favored that series going in. Everyone except Shaq failed to perform even decently. You don't shoot 38% and not call it choking. 

#102 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,828 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 07, 2013 - 10:32 AM

By definition, choking is the failure to perform up to standard when one is favored to win a game or tournament. The Lakers were favored that series going in. Everyone except Shaq failed to perform even decently. You don't shoot 38% and not call it choking. 

Nonsense. I don't care what definition Merriam-webster gave you, but Kobe didn't choke in that series.

He did shoot way too much and not very accurately, which could be credited to the Pistons' defense and game-plan, among other things, but he was aggressive. According to Tex Winter it was Shaq who was to blame because he was too passive. 

What Harden did against the Heat was a lot worse and even fails to qualify for your lousy definition of choking. The dude didn't even show up. Like LBJ a few years back he was afraid to even shoot the ball. Kobe may have had a couple of bad games and went down in flames, if you will, but at least he tried.

Harden just stood on the sideline with his thumb up his ass.  

#103 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Was that Hardens second or third year in the league?? Other than Magic Johnson, who performed well in their first year or three in the finals?? Damn sure wasn't Kobe?? Two airballs against Utah I believe...Oops!! Conference finals...The stage wasn;t as big...My bad..And yup Kobe and LeBron choked...SOOOOOO Harden will win multiple championships I guess  ?????

Nonsense. I don't care what definition Merriam-webster gave you, but Kobe didn't choke in that series.

He did shoot way too much and not very accurately, which could be credited to the Pistons' defense and game-plan, among other things, but he was aggressive. According to Tex Winter it was Shaq who was to blame because he was too passive. 

What Harden did against the Heat was a lot worse and even fails to qualify for your lousy definition of choking. The dude didn't even show up. Like LBJ a few years back he was afraid to even shoot the ball. Kobe may have had a couple of bad games and went down in flames, if you will, but at least he tried.

Edited by lakersince75, August 07, 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#104 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:33 PM

What's wrong with admitting that Kobe choked? Or that he quit game 7 in PHX?  The man is human, he's made mistakes.  Stop trying to defend every little thing that didn't go his way.  He can't win them all.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#105 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,176 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 07, 2013 - 11:28 PM

Was that Hardens second or third year in the league?? Other than Magic Johnson, who performed well in their first year or three in the finals?? Damn sure wasn't Kobe?? Two airballs against Utah I believe...Oops!! Conference finals...The stage wasn;t as big...My bad..And yup Kobe and LeBron choked...SOOOOOO Harden will win multiple championships I guess  ?????

Didn't I own you already like 2 pages back when you tried to pull out the same BS? 

Kobe won the pivotal game in the finals on one foot when Shaq fouled out against Reggie Miller and the Pacers at 21 years old.

Harden also isn't a better 'instinctive passer' than Kobe.  Kobe that mastered the triangle at 21 so he could make Shaq look good in it and find every shot for him?      The same Kobe that was a walking triple double during our second half of the season run? 

Kobe has always been a great instinctive passer, his offense just overshadowed that, but if Shaq admits he had no idea what the triangle offense as and that Kobe mastered it to find him in it, that takes a lot. I don't see Harden ever being able to do that for Dwight or another player at 21 let alone 23. 

You can't say Harden is the better instinctive passer when Kobe himself passed lead him in assists, stats wise and career wise Kobe has always been a great passer, whether he was in the triangle and got no credit for it or otherwise.

Oh his airballs against Utah?  You talking about the year Kobe averaged about 25 mins a game and was such a pivotal role in the offense that in the entire playoffs in general he averaged a whopping 11 points? 

You mean the year where Kobe was a 28% three point shooter?    Kobe missing those threes had nothing to do with him being clutch, it had everything to do with the fact he wasn't a three point shooter.  Kobe killed you from mid range, if he ever shot the ball from three it was out of desperation.

Kobe was a HORRID three point shooter early in his career, he would shoot 46% from the field yet 28% percent from three.

IN FACT our championship year in 2001-2002 which is the year a lot of people felt he took the team from Shaq, he shot 46% from the field and 25% from three....

Kobe didn't develop a three point shot till it was required of him the very next year, and he developed it that summer, came back and shot 38% from three the next year.

There's a difference between a guy that doesn't get consistent minutes, whose coach uninvolves so much in the offense that he averages 11 during the playoffs and is a  28% three point shooter, airballing two three pointers and a guy who is the focal point of your offense and man on your team that is a career 37% three point shooter and 44% shooter from the field, suddenly shooting 35% from the field and 19% from three when the lights got bright. 

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Let's NOT try to play that game and say we did :)

Wished you'd have learned your lesson from the first time.   Carry on :)

Vonda-Ward-Vs-Ann-Wolfe-Incredible-Knock

Edited by Majesty, August 07, 2013 - 11:32 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#106 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,828 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 07, 2013 - 11:59 PM

What's wrong with admitting that Kobe choked? Or that he quit game 7 in PHX?  The man is human, he's made mistakes.  Stop trying to defend every little thing that didn't go his way.  He can't win them all.

I think we disagree on what choking is.

If Harden had showed up in that finals series against the Heat and played with aggression, I wouldn't be compaining. Same with Lebron against the Mavs.

To me there is a big difference between trying and failing, and not trying at all.

#107 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Actually my definition is fine and you are just being a homer. Harden choked and it fits perfectly win my definition. Harden was expected to score around 18 points and give support off the bench. He did that only in Game 2. LeBron choked horrendously. Kobe choked in 2004. What the Pistons did to Kobe is no different that what the Mavs did to LeBron. They forced them to take contested jumpers and both failed. They choked, period. 

#108 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Didn't I own you already like 2 pages back when you tried to pull out the same BS? 

Do you know what an AIRBALL is?? Clutch moment and a PROFESSIONAL basketball player shot not one but two AIRBALLS...I don't give a crap how many minutes he didn't play.... AIRBALLS in a clutch situations are AIRBALLS...Practice?? you takin bout practice...Oh that was a game...my bad.... By the way my two little girls are the only ones who own me, no other little girls are allowed to do that...Sorry

#109 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,178 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:22 PM

:coffee:

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic