Want A Laugh?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Icker, I don't know, after that arachnophobia kicks in on Harden he may be unstoppable.

:thumbup:

Hahahahahahaha, I just died a little bit inside. It's kinda bad how after 5 years on this board and recently graduating from high school, I still don't know how to to type.

#62 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,372 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Kobe vs Melo
Pau vs Billups
Already this doesn't look fair
Lamar vs Kenyon
Ariza or Artest vs JR Smith

Lets be real they had Anthony Carter still lol.

#63 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,026 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:02 AM

2009 Nuggets were a damn good team so was 2010.  KD is shooting 50% from the field.  Thats unheard of from a guy that shoots that many jumpers and scores that much in this era.

KD's shooting percentage drops to 44 and his 3 point percentage drops to 31 when he doesn't have Westbrook and with defenses able to focus on him

KD's shooting percentage is so high because when Westbrook is out there defenses have to pay attention accordingly and can't focus their defensive effort all on Durant cause Westbrook will light them up and vice versa.

We saw what KD was capable of in iso against a defense focused on him in the playoffs, he wasn't as accurate then and he wouldn't shoot 50% without Westbrook on that team, that much I am sure of. .

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#64 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:47 AM

You really are going to use a 5 game stretch against what was the top defense in the NBA in a playoff series to prove that KD wouldnt be better than Melo if Westbrook wasnt on the floor? 

KD is just better.  Every metric, hell even the eye test backs this up lol.  He's hands down the 2nd best player in the entire NBA.  Melo isn't even a clear top 5.  I know most guys hate Dwight now consider the list of Lebron, KD, Kobe, CP3, D12 in that order you start to go into other players that are still more complete. 

I'd rather have Paul George than Melo.  At least I know I'm getting a balance on both ends of the floor.  Don't be fooled by a guy that can put up 30. 

KD's shooting percentage drops to 44 and his 3 point percentage drops to 31 when he doesn't have Westbrook and with defenses able to focus on him

KD's shooting percentage is so high because when Westbrook is out there defenses have to pay attention accordingly and can't focus their defensive effort all on Durant cause Westbrook will light them up and vice versa.

We saw what KD was capable of in iso against a defense focused on him in the playoffs, he wasn't as accurate then and he wouldn't shoot 50% without Westbrook on that team, that much I am sure of. .

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#65 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:51 AM

KD put up 28.8 PPG, 10.4 REB, 6.6 AST, 1.2 ST, 1.2 BL, 4.4 TO without his 2nd best player against a team that was rated #1 in defense in the NBA.

Melo vs Indiana wasnt even that good.  So taking away Westbrook from the equation isnt proving your case, it's actually hurting it. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#66 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:52 AM

That's a horrible way to compare teams, because we've been beating by teams (Dallas 2011) when we were clearly supposed to be the better team on paper. 

Kobe vs Melo
Pau vs Billups
Already this doesn't look fair
Lamar vs Kenyon
Ariza or Artest vs JR Smith

Lets be real they had Anthony Carter still lol.

#67 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:15 AM

That's a horrible way to compare teams, because we've been beating by teams (Dallas 2011) when we were clearly supposed to be the better team on paper. 

I always find myself agreeing to your posts. You know your stuff. KD is the clear cut 2nd best player in the NBA. I assume you were talking about Memphis because Houston sucks ass at D. 

#68 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:18 AM

You really are going to use a 5 game stretch against what was the top defense in the NBA in a playoff series to prove that KD wouldnt be better than Melo if Westbrook wasnt on the floor? 

Please tell me about the 48% from the field 28% from three that he shot against the marvelous defense of the Rockets without Westbrook on the floor keeping defenses from actually focusing on Durant.  My point stands.

Edited by Majesty, August 03, 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#69 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Please tell me about the 48% from the field 28% from three that he shot against the marvelous defense of the Rockets without Westbrook on the floor.

48%? Hell, that's better than Kobe's ever shot  :laughing:

#70 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:23 AM

48%? Hell, that's better than Kobe's ever shot  :laughing:

He only got 48% cause he had one good game out of the 6 where he shot 75% where he actually attacked inside instead of relying on his jump shot so much.  Aside from that he shot 45% that series and then without a "hot game" to rely on shot 42% the next series.

Edited by Majesty, August 03, 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#71 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 12:40 PM

These were midway adjustments because of an injury to a player that was important to the team. So there arent any real adjustments made that are favorable to the team.  Things would be a lot different if say RW was missed during the year for a great amount of time. 

KD is just better man.  Sure playing with Westbrook makes life easier hell playing with any great player should.  You can't use that to spite KD but give Melo a pass for playing the way he plays with JR Smith. 

It still does not take away from the fact that it's universally known that Melo is really poor player outside of getting his own shot.  He is a terrible defensive player, he does not make plays for others at all and is overall an average rebounder.  It's ok to like Melo, know one says you shouldn't but lets not overrate him just because Kobe takes a liking to him.  No Laker fan gave a damn about Melo until Kobe cosigned him. 

He only got 48% cause he had one good game out of the 6 where he shot 75% where he actually attacked inside instead of relying on his jump shot so much.  Aside from that he shot 45% that series and then without a "hot game" to rely on shot 42% the next series.

#72 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 12:49 PM

These were midway adjustments because of an injury to a player that was important to the team. So there arent any real adjustments made that are favorable to the team.  Things would be a lot different if say RW was missed during the year for a great amount of time. 

KD is just better man.  Sure playing with Westbrook makes life easier hell playing with any great player should.  You can't use that to spite KD but give Melo a pass for playing the way he plays with JR Smith. 

It still does not take away from the fact that it's universally known that Melo is really poor player outside of getting his own shot.  He is a terrible defensive player, he does not make plays for others at all and is overall an average rebounder.  It's ok to like Melo, know one says you shouldn't but lets not overrate him just because Kobe takes a liking to him.  No Laker fan gave a damn about Melo until Kobe cosigned him. 

I'm not, I'm just saying that a lot of KD's "accuracy" and how he shoots over 50% wouldn't be the case if he didn't have Westbrook with him.  I'm in no way trying to say Melo is better than him because of it.  I'm just dispelling the myth that Durant would be as accurate if he had to carry the Thunder the way Carmelo has to carry the Knicks. 

The reason Durant shoots a high percentage is because, one he's a great shooter, and two having Westbrook allows him to assume an off-ball role where he can be used at most effectiveness where he usually always is facing a one on one or iso scenario or is open.

The reason is because teams can't double Durant because of Westbrook being there.

And eventhough my argument has nothing to do as to "who's better" between Durant and Westbrook as I was never even trying to argue it.... I will point out that you would have have lost any point you wanted to make by trying to compare Durant having Westbrook to Carmelo having JR Smith.

Having players like Durant and Westbrook beside you getting you wide open shots or easy iso's makes life a lot easier for you in an off-ball sense.

Ask Harden, who when playing beside Westbrook and Durant was able to shoot nearly 50% from the field and nearly 40% from three.  49% from the field and 39% from three.

Then put him on the Rockets where he has to carry the team and suddenly Monta Ellis shoots a higher percentage than him.   Parsons is better than JR Smith too mind you :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, August 03, 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#73 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 02:43 PM

KD would still just as accurate because the Knicks have offensive weapons.  OKC isnt a very good team offensively outside of KD and Westbrook.  Melo may not have Westbrook but the Knicks do have offensive firepower that can take the pressure off him offensively.  Problem with the Knicks is fit as a team to win a championship.  They are still a good team. 

#74 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 04, 2013 - 03:55 AM

If you are the sole option on a team, it's not difficult to double and triple team someone into bad percentages. Do you believe this will happen to Harden again now that he has his Shaq/Pau???? This is the deal, I would take Kobe in his prime over ALL two guards. But even last year with Kobe edging out Harden on offensive stats, Harden is a much better on the ball defender for 38 minutes and instinctive passer than Kobe and there is the difference. Some people just need to let it go as Jordan fans did (and Jordan never lost a championship). Kobe was just unlucky because he came in on the heels of Jordan, Lebron and Wade came while Kobe was in his prime and Kobe didn't get chance to really shut mouths until Shaq left. I still feel that Kobe never got his just due. ie One MVP.  That's what really sucks. See how nice that was. I didn't even bring up Kobe's two three point airballs in the playoffs against Utah early in his career   :laughing:  

Kobe is a 5 time Champion while Harden still seems to shrink in big game scenario's without Durant or Westbrook getting him wide open shots =p  

What was he shooting in the playoffs against the Thunder before his one good game?

Oh yeah aside from the one good game he had in the playoffs last year he shot

35% from the field and 19% from three.  

THAT guy?  I wouldn't trust to lead a team anywhere.

Everyone says that the Finals against Miami was just a bad series for him.

Well what was the first round against the Thunder then?  35% from the field and 19% from the three averaging 5.5 turnovers as well.

This guy ain't a big moment playoff player unless he has Westbrook or Durant getting him wide open shots, but ask him to carry your team in the playoffs and you get 35% from the field and 19% from three.

It's amazing how NO ONE is talking about how terrible he was in the playoffs.  

If Westbrook didn't go down, Rockets would have been swept and this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

Edited by lakersince75, August 04, 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#75 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 946 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:27 AM

I watched too many Rocket games last year to say Harden is even close to being a better 2 than Kobe. I remember some games where if he couldn't get to the line with that swipe through move that refs love to call, he was completely useless. He can get streaky from 3, but doesn't really have a midrange game. Heck, I'll still take an old dwade over him.

#76 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,003 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:00 AM

Now that Dwight's with the Rockets, much pressure should be relieved from Harden, and his shooting percentages should increase. It was his first year transitioning from the 6th man to the 1st option, so the shooting percentages and inconsistencies shouldn't be judged too much. Bottom line: he led the Rockets to the playoffs.

Even so, I'd take Kobe over him. Kobe's offensive arsenal is far greater. Harden's Eurosteps, pump fake jump shot/three pointers and step back jumpers get a bit repetitive. But he's only 23, so he has a long journey ahead of him. 

#77 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 03:56 AM

If you are the sole option on a team, it's not difficult to double and triple team someone into bad percentages. Do you believe this will happen to Harden again now that he has his Shaq/Pau???? This is the deal, I would take Kobe in his prime over ALL two guards. But even last year with Kobe edging out Harden on offensive stats, Harden is a much better on the ball defender for 38 minutes and instinctive passer than Kobe and there is the difference. Some people just need to let it go as Jordan fans did (and Jordan never lost a championship). Kobe was just unlucky because he came in on the heels of Jordan, Lebron and Wade came while Kobe was in his prime and Kobe didn't get chance to really shut mouths until Shaq left. I still feel that Kobe never got his just due. ie One MVP.  That's what really sucks. See how nice that was. I didn't even bring up Kobe's two three point airballs in the playoffs against Utah early in his career   :laughing:  

Kobe won the pivotal game in the finals on one foot when Shaq fouled out against Reggie Miller and the Pacers at 21 years old.

Harden also isn't a better 'instinctive passer' than Kobe.  Kobe that mastered the triangle at 21 so he could make Shaq look good in it and find every shot for him?      The same Kobe that was a walking triple double during our second half of the season run? 

Kobe has always been a great instinctive passer, his offense just overshadowed that, but if Shaq admits he had no idea what the triangle offense as and that Kobe mastered it to find him in it, that takes a lot. I don't see Harden ever being able to do that for Dwight or another player at 21 let alone 23. 

You can't say Harden is the better instinctive passer when Kobe himself passed lead him in assists, stats wise and career wise Kobe has always been a great passer, whether he was in the triangle and got no credit for it or otherwise.

Oh his airballs against Utah?  You talking about the year Kobe averaged about 25 mins a game and was such a pivotal role in the offense that in the entire playoffs in general he averaged a whopping 11 points? 

You mean the year where Kobe was a 28% three point shooter?    Kobe missing those threes had nothing to do with him being clutch, it had everything to do with the fact he wasn't a three point shooter.  Kobe killed you from mid range, if he ever shot the ball from three it was out of desperation.

Kobe was a HORRID three point shooter early in his career, he would shoot 46% from the field yet 28% percent from three.

IN FACT our championship year in 2001-2002 which is the year a lot of people felt he took the team from Shaq, he shot 46% from the field and 25% from three....

Kobe didn't develop a three point shot till it was required of him the very next year, and he developed it that summer, came back and shot 38% from three the next year.

There's a difference between a guy that doesn't get consistent minutes, whose coach uninvolves so much in the offense that he averages 11 during the playoffs and is a  28% three point shooter, airballing two three pointers and a guy who is the focal point of your offense and man on your team that is a career 37% three point shooter and 44% shooter from the field, suddenly shooting 35% from the field and 19% from three when the lights got bright. 

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Let's NOT try to play that game and say we did :)

#78 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 06, 2013 - 03:03 AM

Harden has been in the league how many years?? How many years has he been a starter?? How many superstars has he played with as a starter?? As a bench player how often did he destroy us until MWP dropped him with a bow?? He's not marketable like Kobe or most two guards and he chose Houston which was dumb. But I know true ballers and Harden will be one of those Bernard King / Karl Malone types. They didn't have the Dr Jay or Charles Barkley coverage but were just as good. Harden hasn't had his opportunities yet nor will he ever have that superduperstar marketability but if he's healthy you have deal with a top 10 to 20 player for years. Again, go back to his games against us.

Kobe won the pivotal game in the finals on one foot when Shaq fouled out against Reggie Miller and the Pacers at 21 years old.

Harden also isn't a better 'instinctive passer' than Kobe.  Kobe that mastered the triangle at 21 so he could make Shaq look good in it and find every shot for him?      The same Kobe that was a walking triple double during our second half of the season run? 

Kobe has always been a great instinctive passer, his offense just overshadowed that, but if Shaq admits he had no idea what the triangle offense as and that Kobe mastered it to find him in it, that takes a lot. I don't see Harden ever being able to do that for Dwight or another player at 21 let alone 23. 

You can't say Harden is the better instinctive passer when Kobe himself passed lead him in assists, stats wise and career wise Kobe has always been a great passer, whether he was in the triangle and got no credit for it or otherwise.

Oh his airballs against Utah?  You talking about the year Kobe averaged about 25 mins a game and was such a pivotal role in the offense that in the entire playoffs in general he averaged a whopping 11 points? 

You mean the year where Kobe was a 28% three point shooter?    Kobe missing those threes had nothing to do with him being clutch, it had everything to do with the fact he wasn't a three point shooter.  Kobe killed you from mid range, if he ever shot the ball from three it was out of desperation.

Kobe was a HORRID three point shooter early in his career, he would shoot 46% from the field yet 28% percent from three.

IN FACT our championship year in 2001-2002 which is the year a lot of people felt he took the team from Shaq, he shot 46% from the field and 25% from three....

Kobe didn't develop a three point shot till it was required of him the very next year, and he developed it that summer, came back and shot 38% from three the next year.

There's a difference between a guy that doesn't get consistent minutes, whose coach uninvolves so much in the offense that he averages 11 during the playoffs and is a  28% three point shooter, airballing two three pointers and a guy who is the focal point of your offense and man on your team that is a career 37% three point shooter and 44% shooter from the field, suddenly shooting 35% from the field and 19% from three when the lights got bright. 

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Let's NOT try to play that game and say we did :)

#79 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,026 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 04:22 AM

Harden has been in the league how many years?? How many years has he been a starter?? How many superstars has he played with as a starter?? As a bench player how often did he destroy us until MWP dropped him with a bow?? He's not marketable like Kobe or most two guards and he chose Houston which was dumb. But I know true ballers and Harden will be one of those Bernard King / Karl Malone types. They didn't have the Dr Jay or Charles Barkley coverage but were just as good. Harden hasn't had his opportunities yet nor will he ever have that superduperstar marketability but if he's healthy you have deal with a top 10 to 20 player for years. Again, go back to his games against us.

Harden's been in the league for 4 years.

Kobe had been in the league 2.  When Kobe was in his 4th year he was winning an NBA Championships with Shaq on the bench beating Reggie Miller in overtime against the Pacers.   

As far as Harden goes he got starter minutes in OKC and was often in games at the same time as Durant and Westbrook.  Let's not act like he was played like a "bench" player in OKC when he played 31 mins per game his last year there.  he played in every game, got high minutes and high usage among Durant and Westbrook ever since he got to OKC. So let's not act like he was some firghtened child pushed into the spotlight for the first time when he left OKC, he got played starter minutes(31 in his final year) per game, he came off the bench but he was pretty much their starter as he was part of the mane lineup, Seph was only out there at the start for defensive reasons but Harden usually followed and played a majority of the games.    He played alongside TWO superstars for a majority of his career and got a majority of his minutes next to them.

Contrast that with Kobe who his first years in the league where he was left on the bench and more or less not part of the offense.

Actually let's compare when Kobe and Harden both came off the bench, when Kobe finally was played as if he was a 6th man when he was 18(after being benched his rookie year for the most part) and compare it to Harden at 22 the year before he was played starter minutes in OKC

Kobe Bryant
Minutes per game: 26
PPG: 15.4
Assists: 2.5

James Harden
minutes per game: 26
PPG: 12.2
assists: 2.1

OH SNAP!! Kobe averaged more points and assists off the bench at 18 then Harden did at 22 ... stop the presses!! 
The next year Harden was played 30 mins a game coming off the bench so lets not act like he had NO experience starting, he WAS pretty much their starter with Seph only starting games for defensive reasons but then Harden would come in and play most of the game after and was ALWAYS finishing games.

So there goes that excuse.

Bernard King shot 58% from the field as a main option... Harden shoots a lower percentage than Monta Ellis AND Nick Young :smh:   He doesn't belong in the same breath as him or Karl Malone.

He was marketed as a superstar alongside Westbrook and Durant and was usually featured as one of the three of them and was basically played like a starter and his beard is what made him marketable if all the commercials he got didn't prove it to you.

Face facts, Harden didn't choke in the finals and in the first round cause he wasn't Marketed right or hasn't had a chance, he choked in the finals because they were when the lights shined brightest on him, and he choked in the first round for the same reasons.

It's easy to look fantastic when you got Durant and Westbrook giving you wide open jump shots, but when you're given the ball and asked to go win games and be "the man" and you drop 20% shooting percentages beneath your average in the first freaking round, you deserve to be looked at with a side eye.

Don't even mention that guy in the same breath as Bernard King, Karl Malone or even Kobe Bryant for that matter.   He couldn't keep up with Kobe when Kobe was 18 and Harden is in his "prime" and he can't even keep up with Kobe now when Kobe is 34 and he's 24 -_-

This debate should have never happened.  Hopefully now that's the end of it.

#80 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Harden's been in the league for 4 years.

Kobe had been in the league 2.  When Kobe was in his 4th year he was winning an NBA Championships with Shaq on the bench beating Reggie Miller in overtime against the Pacers.   

As far as Harden goes he got starter minutes in OKC and was often in games at the same time as Durant and Westbrook.  Let's not act like he was played like a "bench" player in OKC when he played 31 mins per game his last year there.  he played in every game, got high minutes and high usage among Durant and Westbrook ever since he got to OKC. So let's not act like he was some firghtened child pushed into the spotlight for the first time when he left OKC, he got played starter minutes(31 in his final year) per game, he came off the bench but he was pretty much their starter as he was part of the mane lineup, Seph was only out there at the start for defensive reasons but Harden usually followed and played a majority of the games.    He played alongside TWO superstars for a majority of his career and got a majority of his minutes next to them.

Contrast that with Kobe who his first years in the league where he was left on the bench and more or less not part of the offense.

Actually let's compare when Kobe and Harden both came off the bench, when Kobe finally was played as if he was a 6th man when he was 18(after being benched his rookie year for the most part) and compare it to Harden at 22 the year before he was played starter minutes in OKC

Kobe Bryant
Minutes per game: 26
PPG: 15.4
Assists: 2.5

James Harden
minutes per game: 26
PPG: 12.2
assists: 2.1

OH SNAP!! Kobe averaged more points and assists off the bench at 18 then Harden did at 22 ... stop the presses!! 
The next year Harden was played 30 mins a game coming off the bench so lets not act like he had NO experience starting, he WAS pretty much their starter with Seph only starting games for defensive reasons but then Harden would come in and play most of the game after and was ALWAYS finishing games.

So there goes that excuse.

Bernard King shot 58% from the field as a main option... Harden shoots a lower percentage than Monta Ellis AND Nick Young :smh:   He doesn't belong in the same breath as him or Karl Malone.

He was marketed as a superstar alongside Westbrook and Durant and was usually featured as one of the three of them and was basically played like a starter and his beard is what made him marketable if all the commercials he got didn't prove it to you.

Face facts, Harden didn't choke in the finals and in the first round cause he wasn't Marketed right or hasn't had a chance, he choked in the finals because they were when the lights shined brightest on him, and he choked in the first round for the same reasons.

It's easy to look fantastic when you got Durant and Westbrook giving you wide open jump shots, but when you're given the ball and asked to go win games and be "the man" and you drop 20% shooting percentages beneath your average in the first freaking round, you deserve to be looked at with a side eye.

Don't even mention that guy in the same breath as Bernard King, Karl Malone or even Kobe Bryant for that matter.   He couldn't keep up with Kobe when Kobe was 18 and Harden is in his "prime" and he can't even keep up with Kobe now when Kobe is 34 and he's 24 -_-

This debate should have never happened.  Hopefully now that's the end of it.

You're taking this way too seriously. Who the hell are you to decide if he can be mentioned with the likes of Karl Malone, Bernard King and Kobe Bryant. I'm about to do it right now: Neither Harden, King nor Malone have won a championship. And Harden was more efficient than Kobe that year. So yes, they can and will be mentioned in the same sentence  :bleh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users