2014 draft lakers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,220 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 01:27 AM

The moment I saw the news Spurs trading Hill for Indiana's #15 pick, which later turned into Kawhi Leonard, I knew that dude would be the one to watch out from 2011 draft. Towards the end of his rookie season I told my friends in another forum that 10 years from now Kawhi Leonard will be remembered as the 2nd best guy to get drafted that year just behind Kyrie. Meaning, ahead of Klay, Parsons, Knight, Kemba, Valanciunas and others. Watching him last season, especially in playoffs, I knew I was right. Pop also confirmed that they plan on him to be the franchise's face for the next decade.

Anyway, the topic is not about him. But it is about our chances to secure a future star, who may lead the team or be an integral piece after Kobe retires. You know we got Kobe from #13 with luck or not. Paul Geoge was drafted from #10. Bledsoe (#18), Ty Lawson (#18), Hibbert (#17), Ibaka (#24), Batum (#25) etc. There is a very good chance that we can grab someone useful from mid to semi-late pick as we start rebuilding next season. (Yes, we aren't tanking.)

I haven't studied next year's draft yet. So far the names I know will probably be lottery picks, e.g. Wiggins, Randle, Parker, Smart etc. But there might be one sleeper out there that can shine above all others except Wiggins in this deep draft which is said to be the best since 2003.

If you know any players that make you scream "Get him!" please do share.

#2 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,225 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 01, 2013 - 01:37 AM

there are a lot of guys who are legit players..
franchise changing super stars..
all-stars..
stars...
starters..
role players...
this past draft barley had a player that was a surefire starter... maybe a boarderline Star...

This 2014 draft will be legendary...
As good as the 1996, or 2003 drafts.

#3 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:27 AM

Not sure why you are concerned with next years draft pick. We will be seeded 5 to 7 this year and I don't think we have anyone to trade for a top ten pick

#4 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,961 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:54 AM

The Lakers do have a first-round draft pick.

He's talking about draftees outside of the lottery. The players he's talking about (i.e. Leonard, Hibbert, George, etc.) are somewhat within the range of what the Lakers hopefully can acquire.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#5 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,220 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 04:41 AM

Not sure why you are concerned with next years draft pick. We will be seeded 5 to 7 this year and I don't think we have anyone to trade for a top ten pick

He's talking about draftees outside of the lottery. The players he's talking about (i.e. Leonard, Hibbert, George, etc.) are somewhat within the range of what the Lakers hopefully can acquire.

#6 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 01, 2013 - 04:47 AM

5-7? Its already a given SAS, OKC, LAC and GSW barring any injury to a core player.  Then there's the 2nd batch of teams that are probably HOU, Memphis.  So we are looking at the 7th seed if everything goes right.   We know better than that and considering Kaman is good for missing 15 games a year or so and Kobe is unknown this team probably isnt going to start out hot.  3rd batch of teams that could be gunning for 7th and 8th are Minny (will be a decent team if healthy), Dallas and I would not sleep on the Pelicans. 

At this point who really wants the 7th or 8th seed?  Im all for competing as the underdog but only when we have some type of an advantage and pre achilles Kobe.  I'd rather miss the playoffs and have at least a guarantee at picks 1-14 than make the playoffs get thrashed by a top 2 seed and get a guy with less talent on paper. 

If this draft class is as legendary as they are saying the Lakers are better off crashing and burning to get a new franchise guy.  Wiggins isn't the only good player in the draft.  The top 5-6 guys are players that could have went this year or out of HS.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#7 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 01, 2013 - 09:38 AM

5-7? Its already a given SAS, OKC, LAC and GSW barring any injury to a core player. Then there's the 2nd batch of teams that are probably HOU, Memphis. So we are looking at the 7th seed if everything goes right. We know better than that and considering Kaman is good for missing 15 games a year or so and Kobe is unknown this team probably isnt going to start out hot. 3rd batch of teams that could be gunning for 7th and 8th are Minny (will be a decent team if healthy), Dallas and I would not sleep on the Pelicans.

At this point who really wants the 7th or 8th seed? Im all for competing as the underdog but only when we have some type of an advantage and pre achilles Kobe. I'd rather miss the playoffs and have at least a guarantee at picks 1-14 than make the playoffs get thrashed by a top 2 seed and get a guy with less talent on paper.

If this draft class is as legendary as they are saying the Lakers are better off crashing and burning to get a new franchise guy. Wiggins isn't the only good player in the draft. The top 5-6 guys are players that could have went this year or out of HS.

you don't get the fact that we don't tank do you? Keep it in one thread

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#8 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Who said them tanking and having the ability to not be a bad team are the same?  I don't believe the FO is directly tanking but they know their team cannot compete.  Everything they are doing is for 2014 and if that doesnt work then welp. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#9 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Who said them tanking and having the ability to not be a bad team are the same?  I don't believe the FO is directly tanking but they know their team cannot compete.  Everything they are doing is for 2014 and if that doesnt work then welp. 

as long as we have kobe nash and gasol all on one team, we are trying to contend. as i said before, if we suck, we suck...

mitch already confirmed this.

Edited by Ham, August 01, 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#10 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,302 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted August 01, 2013 - 08:47 PM

2 words David Nwaba

#11 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 03:45 AM

I know for a fact with the talent on this team and everyone either playing for a contract or Kobe playing to attract other stars for 2014/15 you will see a Laker team play harder than you've ever seen night in and out. Combine that with Nick Young, Farmar, Kaman and Johnson being underrated and you actually have a good team. MDA may suck but he doesn't suck when he has the correct players for his system and a healthy Nash to make him look better than he is. As far as other teams in the West, Everyone they named are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. They all gained and loss players. Will Duncan, Manu, Westbrook and CP3 be or stay healthy?? Will GSW be successful now that they can't sneak up on teams anymore?? The Clippers lost some very good locker room guys and talent. Memphis is just as much of a question mark as we are. I still think we are one defensive Brute at the 3 or 4 like a Chris Wilcox or Tyrus Thomas away from really making some noise this year. If we don't have a good year what makes anyone think 3 stars will come here?? As crazy as he is #12 showed you players can say no to LA and money. That guy number 12 was going to be our primary magnet to get a Carmelo or George. As much as I love Kobe, his is definitely not the same magnet at this point in his career

#12 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 03:57 AM

OK. Because in my opinion if it's not a top 5 pick, who gives a damn. And we're not going to the lottery by any means

#13 Kevin_405

Kevin_405

Rookie

• 221 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 04:02 AM

I know for a fact with the talent on this team and everyone either playing for a contract or Kobe playing to attract other stars for 2014/15 you will see a Laker team play harder than you've ever seen night in and out. Combine that with Nick Young, Farmar, Kaman and Johnson being underrated and you actually have a good team. MDA may suck but he doesn't suck when he has the correct players for his system and a healthy Nash to make him look better than he is. As far as other teams in the West, Everyone they named are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. They all gained and loss players. Will Duncan, Manu, Westbrook and CP3 be or stay healthy?? Will GSW be successful now that they can't sneak up on teams anymore?? The Clippers lost some very good locker room guys and talent. Memphis is just as much of a question mark as we are. I still think we are one defensive Brute at the 3 or 4 like a Chris Wilcox or Tyrus Thomas away from really making some noise this year. If we don't have a good year what makes anyone think 3 stars will come here?? As crazy as he is #12 showed you players can say no to LA and money. That guy number 12 was going to be our primary magnet to get a Carmelo or George. As much as I love Kobe, his is definitely not the same magnet at this point in his career

Welp welp welp.. the scream of lakers fan , i guess we r all choked up with the disaster last year that we forgot how to scream help.

Wish we had kept the picks last year instead of the has been nash trade which cost us 3 first rounders. Rebuilding this team is now a pipe dream.

#14 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,220 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 06:01 AM

Can you guys stay on topic please?

#15 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Can you guys stay on topic please?

If we end up with a top 15 pick i'd be happy. with that we could move our way up.

#16 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 12:22 PM

It will be interesting to see what the situation is as the trade deadline approaches. If Kobe is still not ready, and we are down in the standings, I think it is better for the future of this franchise to just sell all our players and try to accumulate as many draft picks as possible.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#17 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 12:25 PM

My thoughts as well.  A lot really depends on how good Kobe will be upon his return and if he can even be good enough to pull guys onto this team in 2014 and beyond.  If Kobe looks shaky then Mitch will have to make some serious changes. 

It will be interesting to see what the situation is as the trade deadline approaches. If Kobe is still not ready, and we are down in the standings, I think it is better for the future of this franchise to just sell all our players and try to accumulate as many draft picks as possible.

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,396 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 03, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Kobe not ready by Feb?
Try Nov 17.

#19 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Kobe not ready by Feb?
Try Nov 17.

Do you not see the "if" in his sentence? Some people....

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,396 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 03, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Do you not see the "if" in his sentence? Some people....

Napoleon , is that you?

Edited by BasketballIQ, August 03, 2013 - 04:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2014, draft, lakers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users