Photo

Eagles WR Riley Cooper: “I’ll Fight Every N**ger in Here”; Vick Puts Out A $1K Bounty; Several Teammates Deeply Upset; Wilbon BLASTS Roger Goodell

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,432 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 02, 2013 - 01:43 PM

I just realized something.. does that bum Marcus Vick even have a $1,000 to give out on a bounty? :laughing:

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,331 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Wait so Riley cooper is a racist despite going out to eat and hanging out with black people constantly and actually having been close friends with guys like Lesean McCoy

But George Zimmerman isn't because he took a black girl to prom despite saying coon in a malicious manner

So basically double standard among some on this message board
Posted Image

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 02:10 PM

There is such a thing as closet/secret racists too. You know that. Not saying that's exactly the case here, but it's not impossible.

yo.

#24 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,331 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 02:20 PM

There is such a thing as closet/secret racists too. You know that. Not saying that's exactly the case here, but it's not impossible.

A closet racist still wouldn't hang out with black people. If you hate something it makes you angry. Who subjects themselves to being angry. A closet racist just doesn't make their racism known

It doesn't mean they have an elaborate plan to hide their racism

It amazes me how up in arms people are but Kobe using the word fa99ot in a derogatory angry manner was largely ignored by this board
Posted Image

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 02:23 PM

^ HUGE difference between that word and the N word. Don't get me wrong, the Q and or F word regarding homosexuals is still inexcusable and deeply offensive to many, but the N word's on a whole nother' level man. You've gotta' know this.

yo.

#26 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,331 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 02:33 PM

^ HUGE difference between that word and the N word. Don't get me wrong, the Q and or F word regarding homosexuals is still inexcusable and deeply offensive to many, but the N word's on a whole nother' level man. You've gotta' know this.

No it's not. Not at all. N word was created to put down and degrade blacks. It is a derivative of the word negro and was used to signify a black person. With time it became a derogatory term

How is that different than the F word which was created to put down and defame gays. It is a derogatory term

YOU think it's different because you probably used it when you were younger and therefore it was desensitized to you

Believing there is any difference between the words is just ignoring the simple roots of the words

Why they were created, and how they are and were used
Posted Image

#27 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 02, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Wait so Riley cooper is a racist despite going out to eat and hanging out with black people constantly and actually having been close friends with guys like Lesean McCoy
But George Zimmerman isn't because he took a black girl to prom despite saying coon in a malicious manner
So basically double standard among some on this message board

I hope your not indirectly referencing me. Zimmerman may be a bigot racist. That's possible. But he wasn't on trail for being a bigot. He was on trial for murder. If GZ is a bigot I don't care. He was a insurance salesman and a neighborhood watchmen with zero influence over anyone. A pro NFL player being a racist and making violent racist comments in public reaches millions of people and can have a heavy influence on many. Riley Cooper represents the NFL, its brand, its teams, players and alumni. GZ represented his 100 sq foot cubicle at Statefarm insurance somewhere in FL. There's no comparison at all.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 02:55 PM

A lot more details inside this link.

Besides Using the N-word, Riley Cooper Acted Like a Jackass Throughout Much of the Kenny Chesney Concert

http://www.crossingb...ey-concert.html

Meanwhile, Joe Santoliquito, who writes for this site, posted the following on CBS Philly today:

According to a number of sources, Riley Cooper wanted to be treated as if he was Bradley Cooper at the Chesney concert. He was an unruly “drunk who wanted the red-carpet treatment and security to basically kiss his a–, because he was ‘Riley Cooper, an Eagle,’ from what I saw,” said someone close to what happened that night. Apparently, when Cooper pulled out the “Don’t-you-know-who-I-am” card, it wasn’t acknowledged. “Security wasn’t having it” and Cooper apparently had a snit-fit.

A camera phone at a Kenny Chesney concert may have revealed what Riley Cooper thought about a “lowly security guard doing his job, and we get cussed at all of the time,” said the source who witnessed the Cooper meltdown

A similar account was posted on Deadspin.
Cooper eventually found his way backstage and then onto the stage, along with Jason Kelce, Chip Kelly and others. Cooper slapped Chesney’s ass on at least one occasion and attempted to sing into a microphone which appeared to be switched off.

At the conclusion of The Boys of Fall, Cooper was the last player to linger on the stage. He eventually had to be directed off by what was presumably a member of Chesney’s crew. You can see that in the video after the jump. It has been on YouTube for almost two months.

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,109 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 02, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Paula Dean was being robbed at gunpoint 30 years ago and lost everything and is painted as the image of racism.

This guy was drunk and loses nothing and gets counseling.... 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#30 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 02, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Exactly^ things make no sense.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#31 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,220 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 02, 2013 - 03:21 PM

I think the solution is to ban country music concerts...

#32 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,788 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted August 02, 2013 - 04:33 PM

what if he said ****a instead of ****er

Edited by Michaelyumm, August 02, 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#33 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,943 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 08:45 AM

My big problem is the punishment isnt fitting the crime here. I mean he was fined, has been scrutinized unruly and is gonna have every defensive back on other teams out for him. He has already taken some hits from this and still has more lumps coming his way. I have a problem when it comes to the media blowing it up and this kid might never find a job in the NFL again because the stigma that has been put on him, I dont feel what he did deserves that type of consequence. I agree what he did out of line but if you actually look at the core of this there is a big double standard here guys. 

He committed no crime, civil or criminal. He actually was just speaking his mind, and racist it may be that is completely legal, and protected by your civil rights. I think the double standard comes in because people get lauded when they speak out against what society labels an unjust thing or they speak on behalf of a greater purpose. Riley could of said the n word in a very racist manner, but is it still not his right to say what he wants? At this point he is being punished for something he SAID, let me write that again. He is just being punished for something he said. Like I said earlier he is a public figure and therefore held to a higher standard and I understand that the league has every right to have fined him or even suspended him. My problem comes in when the media keeps it going to the point where a team wont want to touch him. The Eagles fined him correct? They coulda suspended him as well, but they didnt. However, with this big media circus around it they had to do damage control and now Cooper is seeking counseling to better his image. The eagles organization and the NFL have the right to punish him because he is a member of a private organization so therefore he is held to their standards. However, outside of that realm what he did he shouldnt be crucified by being dragged through the media right now. It might seem weird to say that it is his right to say what he wants because of the context and thing he said, but at the end of the day he does have that personal right to scream whatever word he wants. Right now he is being judged based on the context of his thoughts and words, that is not much different than someone being judged on the color of their skin. Just because you dont agree with it, and basically everyone feels like what he said was so wrong, doesnt actually mean he is in the wrong. The supreme court has upheld the right for the KKK to hold meetings and scream whatever they want as long as it isnt inciting immediate violence. You might not agree with what he said (I dont think anyone else would unless they were an actually racist) but in America your suppose to be able to say whatever you want or however your feel about something and be free to say it and not be judged on your beliefs, even if they are in fact racist ones.

Also whenever I talk to any of my black friends about this they all say its really not that big of a deal. They say he was fined and punished already so just forget about it. I find it more that a white person makes it such a big deal then a black guy would because they are trying to put on some show that they are super sensitive and caring toward black Americans.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, August 03, 2013 - 08:48 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#34 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 03, 2013 - 11:06 AM

My big problem is the punishment isnt fitting the crime here. I mean he was fined, has been scrutinized unruly and is gonna have every defensive back on other teams out for him. He has already taken some hits from this and still has more lumps coming his way. I have a problem when it comes to the media blowing it up and this kid might never find a job in the NFL again because the stigma that has been put on him, I dont feel what he did deserves that type of consequence. I agree what he did out of line but if you actually look at the core of this there is a big double standard here guys. 

He committed no crime, civil or criminal. He actually was just speaking his mind, and racist it may be that is completely legal, and protected by your civil rights. I think the double standard comes in because people get lauded when they speak out against what society labels an unjust thing or they speak on behalf of a greater purpose. Riley could of said the n word in a very racist manner, but is it still not his right to say what he wants? At this point he is being punished for something he SAID, let me write that again. He is just being punished for something he said. Like I said earlier he is a public figure and therefore held to a higher standard and I understand that the league has every right to have fined him or even suspended him. My problem comes in when the media keeps it going to the point where a team wont want to touch him. The Eagles fined him correct? They coulda suspended him as well, but they didnt. However, with this big media circus around it they had to do damage control and now Cooper is seeking counseling to better his image. The eagles organization and the NFL have the right to punish him because he is a member of a private organization so therefore he is held to their standards. However, outside of that realm what he did he shouldnt be crucified by being dragged through the media right now. It might seem weird to say that it is his right to say what he wants because of the context and thing he said, but at the end of the day he does have that personal right to scream whatever word he wants. Right now he is being judged based on the context of his thoughts and words, that is not much different than someone being judged on the color of their skin. Just because you dont agree with it, and basically everyone feels like what he said was so wrong, doesnt actually mean he is in the wrong. The supreme court has upheld the right for the KKK to hold meetings and scream whatever they want as long as it isnt inciting immediate violence. You might not agree with what he said (I dont think anyone else would unless they were an actually racist) but in America your suppose to be able to say whatever you want or however your feel about something and be free to say it and not be judged on your beliefs, even if they are in fact racist ones.

Also whenever I talk to any of my black friends about this they all say its really not that big of a deal. They say he was fined and punished already so just forget about it. I find it more that a white person makes it such a big deal then a black guy would because they are trying to put on some show that they are super sensitive and caring toward black Americans.

Wha?

You're all over the place. I don't understand what you're getting at here. 

Freedom of speech is kind of a myth anyway. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#35 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,943 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 03, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Wha?

You're all over the place. I don't understand what you're getting at here. 

Freedom of speech is kind of a myth anyway. 

He is being judged on something that someone shouldnt be judged for, America is built on the idea that everyone is allowed to believe what they want and not be judged or treated unfairly for their personal ideals.

How is the 1st amendment a myth?

Also Im not sure how I was all over. I was saying that the NFL has the right to punish Cooper as they see fit because he is held to their standards, but the way he is getting dragged through the media is way too harsh especially considering he was just excising one of his civil liberties, albeit being racist in that fashion.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, August 03, 2013 - 01:19 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#36 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 03, 2013 - 02:07 PM

He is being judged on something that someone shouldnt be judged for, America is built on the idea that everyone is allowed to believe what they want and not be judged or treated unfairly for their personal ideals.

How is the 1st amendment a myth?

Also Im not sure how I was all over. I was saying that the NFL has the right to punish Cooper as they see fit because he is held to their standards, but the way he is getting dragged through the media is way too harsh especially considering he was just excising one of his civil liberties, albeit being racist in that fashion.

Seems like you're straddling the fence to me.

I mean you're all over the place because this white dude said the n word and you're equating that with someone being judged by their skin color...that doesn't make sense. Riley Cooper indeed does have control over his thoughts and words...as far as we know, he's not a mentally-challenged individual. How is that the same as someone being born with a particular skin pigmentation???

If what you say is true, when I get stopped by the police then I should be free to call him/her a [expletive]ing pig, a [expletive] ass mutha[expletive]a, [expletive] you and your mama and your whole family, where's your white sheet officer, etc etc etc. Tell me, how do you think that confrontation would end for me?  :laughing:

No you cannot believe what you want and be treated fairly (you shouldn't be). Some people are [expletive]ed in the head and should be approached as such. 

Edited by Windu, August 03, 2013 - 02:08 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 03:11 PM

I don't think the media's exaggerating as much as you think in the sense of even discussing the possibilities of this guy potentially not being able to stay in the league anymore. I mean consider what 70 or 80% of the league is African-American? Any team that he would go to it's not exactly inconceivable to think most of them if not all might not even wanna' take a chance on him simply for the grand risk he'd present of potentially harming the chemistry or dividing the locker room. Also, considering those players would have no previous background relationship with him whatsoever, the first thing that would (fair or not) stick out would be this incident of his and it might be too hard to look past that for many despite even genuinely trying for some.

As is said, sometimes it's easier to say you forgive, but forgetting on the other hand, is a whole nother' sometimes grander obstacle in itself.

Obviously a ton of these scenarios are speculation right now no doubt. Things could possibly go better than expected & he returns, everyone genuinely forgives him and forgets and moves on all fine & dandy, but even going to the other extremes isn't exactly exaggerating here. These speculations are very well realistic & possible considering the complexities of the situation.

yo.

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 11:04 PM

Edited by    , August 05, 2013 - 11:05 PM.

yo.

#39 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:01 AM

If this was the 90s, he would of been out of the job. Lucky for him, he let it slip during the time where that word is losing it's meaning. The word is no longer as powerful as it used to be. And that to me is progress. Black people should no longer feel like that word has control over or that it should make or break them. It's the ugliest word in English dictionary and I hate that every time it's uttered, black people are immediately thought about. If the league or the eagle were to ban Riley Cooper for using that word, they would only be reminding people of that. Riley Cooper has already ostricisized himself from 80% of the league, that to me is punishment enough. I just don't believe that we should encourage giving that word any sort of power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users