31 replies to this topic

#21 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Teams dont treat Lebron like Rondo and havent done for some time.  Stop repeating old adages that have been debunked man.  Lebron is an above avg shooter in the NBA.  Unless you have some metrics that say otherwise you are just blowing hot air. 

They played him like that in the finals. And he couldn't hit a single jumper until he had his streaky game 7.

#22 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,524 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:25 PM

And every other all time great from Kobe and MJ have had bad FG% in the Finals.  When you add in pressure, teams playing at their highest level no way you can use the Finals FG% to prove anything.  This still doenst prove that Kobe is the better shooter either.

They played him like that in the finals. And he couldn't hit a single jumper until he had his streaky game 7.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#23 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:34 PM

And every other all time great from Kobe and MJ have had bad FG% in the Finals.  When you add in pressure, teams playing at their highest level no way you can use the Finals FG% to prove anything.  This still doenst prove that Kobe is the better shooter either.

I'm not talking field goal percentage, I'm talking teams daring/begging Lebron to basically take uncontested jump-shots. He had one game where he actually hit the open jumpers and made them pay and that was game 7.

#24 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,729 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:46 PM

teams didn't do that because of his FG%. They did that because his mid jumper cannot be relied upon like a Jordan or Bryant who lives on jumpers. Get off Lebron's dick 

ap1.png

#25 L.A.7

L.A.7

Rookie

• 73 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 12:36 AM

Lebron is very selective with his shots, so IMO that fg % for jumpers should be tossed for him. Yes he has improved his jumper alot, but it is not on the level of Jordan or Kobe. He might shoot a higher percentage because of his playing style and how he selects his shots, however Kobe an Jordan are 2 of the greatest mid range scorers.

#26 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,945 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 01, 2013 - 07:40 AM

No but common sense does lol.

Bron doesnt get as bad as treatment as rondo anymore for sure. His jumper has improved. But pointing just to his mid range jumper fg% doesnt prove squat. I watched the guy a lot and he passed up ALOT of open mid rang jumpers because they just arent smart shots for him to take. If kobe sees a split second where he has the space on someone at mid range he is taking it, hell he doesnt even need the space and he will take it. I said this in the other thread there are a few players mid range game I would take over lebrons. He takes very smart shots which is good. However, when you watch the tape and see his offensive mid range game its not even close to the levels of Kobe. Kobe probably has the best mid range game and arsenal of moves to score from there since the start of the league. PJ has said Kobe has a better outside game than MJ.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#27 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,761 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 01, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Lol LeBron a better shooter than Kobe

Thanks for the laugh today.

#28 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,524 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:12 AM

So no facts to refute the statement? 

Lol LeBron a better shooter than Kobe

Thanks for the laugh today.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#29 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,524 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:14 AM

We arent discussing mid range moves and aresenal.  Kobe has that 2nd to none.  Lets just say you are right about Kobe being the better shooter skill wise.  Wouldnt it then behoove Kobe to take better shots thus making himself much more dangerous and efficient for the team?  Serious bball question.  Save the flaming for the kids. 

No but common sense does lol.

Bron doesnt get as bad as treatment as rondo anymore for sure. His jumper has improved. But pointing just to his mid range jumper fg% doesnt prove squat. I watched the guy a lot and he passed up ALOT of open mid rang jumpers because they just arent smart shots for him to take. If kobe sees a split second where he has the space on someone at mid range he is taking it, hell he doesnt even need the space and he will take it. I said this in the other thread there are a few players mid range game I would take over lebrons. He takes very smart shots which is good. However, when you watch the tape and see his offensive mid range game its not even close to the levels of Kobe. Kobe probably has the best mid range game and arsenal of moves to score from there since the start of the league. PJ has said Kobe has a better outside game than MJ.

#30 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:45 AM

The shots Kobe takes are much much more difficult than a majority of Lebron's shots.  Especially this year with Lebron establishing a post game, many of his baskets came from under the rim or from dribble penetration (which is almost unstoppable to guard).  Don't get me wrong Lebron is the best player in the game right now and is a freak athlete with numerous skill sets but he is definitely not a better shooter than Kobe.  If you observed Lebron's game in this years playoffs teams rarely seemed to double team him unless he got within the painted area or 2-3 feet within that range.  Even the Spurs (which was a big mistake at times) didn't even care to double team him and even allowed him to take good looking jumpers from time to time.  Yeah he has improved his shooting but no way in hell is he a better shooter than Kobe.  I would argue that right now Lebron is in his prime correct?  Well ever since traded to the Heat he has seemed to be more of a PF than a SF and it is shown in the statistics below.

http://www.82games.com/1112/11MIA8.HTM

As you can see the Heat and Lebron are both more successful when Lebron plays PF.  With that being said this year his FG% was amazing and it was due to his performance in the paint (layups, dunks, hooks) Kobe has the same array of moves but doesn't have the physical ability as Lebron to be as successful.  So at the end of the day... Kobe is a better shooter but Lebron can score just as well due to his finesse and ability at the rim.  Kobe's post game is more back to the basket allowing him to use the patented fadeaway, Lebron on the other hand is a bulldozer which is pretty difficult to stop and it was proven this year.  

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#31 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,945 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:49 AM

We arent discussing mid range moves and aresenal.  Kobe has that 2nd to none.  Lets just say you are right about Kobe being the better shooter skill wise.  Wouldnt it then behoove Kobe to take better shots thus making himself much more dangerous and efficient for the team?  Serious bball question.  Save the flaming for the kids. 

Discussing who is the better shooter and taking smart shots is a different argument all together. Kobe is notorious for taking terrible shots, but he is the best at taking them and even with those bad decisions he will give you 45 percent from the field. Kobe has said it before when he is out there on the court all he sees is the rim and the defender. He is a scorer at heart and that is what he wants to do. Now for saying he is a ball hog just isnt true. MJ took more shots than Kobe but he never is called a chucker while many Kobe haters say he shoots way too much. Also Kobe and MJ have about the same APG% , which is the advance stat that estimated the percentage of shots they assist on when they are out on the court. They both have it around 25 percent most seasons. Melo has his at 15 percent, he is someone who really shoots too much in comparison to passing out of the double team.

Lebron puts up great numbers percentage wise from mid range because he is smart with his shots. How rarely do you see him drive from the top of the key and pull up from 17 feet with a defender in his face? Very rarely, Kobe on the other hand loves to take this shot because he is probably the most proficient player to ever take this shot. Lebrons jumpers come from players sagging of, but mostly being out of position by rotating their hips too much to guard against the drive and his pull up can be much less contested. Also seen in the finals sometimes teams just prefer to live with him shooting from there. Now his jumper isnt nearly as broke as it once was, but I still wouldnt wake up in the morning walk to the bank and put money on it. His midrange game has grown since he has been in the league, but to say he is a threat from midrange especially when the defense commits to his shot is just wrong. Just two years ago against the Mavs he was getting good looks left and right from mid range and the outside shot and his jimmy was broke. Even this past finals vs the spurs he showed at times going cold with good looks. Game 7 the spurs said you have to beat us with your jumper and he did. However, for a 7 game series I would take the jumper of Kobes to win a series over Lebrons any day of the week.

Stats will say whatever you want if you twist them enough. Im someone that doesnt make a judgement on a player until I watch a lot of tape on them. Lebron's mid range fg% is bloated, which isnt a bad thing, that just goes to show how smart he is when he plays. However, to just look at those stats and dare say he is as deadly as Kobe from Mid range is just stupid. Kobe was 34 this past season and lets not act like he hasnt lost a few steps from his prime self, teams know what he is gonna do and how he will operate out of the mid range game to get his points and he still shot 46% from the field this year.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, August 01, 2013 - 10:51 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#32 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,761 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:50 AM

So no facts to refute the statement? 

If you want facts, watch the game and see how much more defensive attention Kobe attracts on his jumper than LeBron.

i mean just watch first couple games of the finals this year. Give Kobe that much space on his jumper. 50 points easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users