33 replies to this topic

#21 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,117 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 31, 2013 - 06:31 AM

If he does he'll be the best wing player beside Kobe since..... I have no idea lol...who was the last wing player the Lakers had that could find their own shot and go off for 30 on any given night aside from Kobe? Eddie Jones? Has it really been THAT long?

You talking about wing player as a laker? Even if Young can do all that, Lebron is now the best wing player in the league. But you right, Lakers never really have great wing players who can create his own shot besides Kobe. .  Eddie Jones was not that type of wing player. He was a slasher and works well without the ball. He doesn't really create his own shot but he is one of my favorite lakers because he is really good and classy. Even James Worthy wasn't a guy who create his own shot. He is like an eddie jones but 10 times better. Cedric Cebolos? I dont think so.  I don't think the Lakers really have a guy who create his own shots as a wing player. Probably Jerry West and Kobe or maybe Goodrich?. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#22 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,849 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 31, 2013 - 06:55 AM

Thanks Kurt, we all love ya and all, but success isn't measured in "fun to watch".

Lol

So

, in the entertainment industry, which the Lakers are, "fun" doesn't matter?

How does Utah survive in the league, they haven't won? How have the Knicks and Clippers stayed afloat?

The thing people tend to lose perspective about ids  that this IS Entertainment, and no matter what teams wins, it's a great sport to watch.

#23 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,550 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:00 AM

Is Kurt Rambis going to change the fact that this team can't play defense? I doubt it.

Nash: never played defense in his life and now he's 40.
Kobe: 35, coming off surgery, and we all saw him last year and EVERYONE was complaining about his lack of effort defensively. He wasn't closing out on shooters at all. He can dig in for one or two key possessions and be a solid defender, but not much more than that.
Pau: can barely run back. He can't defend pick and roll and teams know that, and they exploit it.

I've seen people comparing our team to the Spurs. Please, that's an insult to the Spurs. Tim Duncan is way better than Pau on both ends of the floor. Kobe is definitely better than Ginobli, but prime TP vs 40 year old Nash... Not to mention they have better role players and a real coach in Greg Popovich.

We just lost Dwight Howard, the best player in the league at his position. Our hopes of finishing the season with a respectable record depend on Steve Nash and Pau Gasol being healthy and aggressive, and Nick Young ring consistent and playing good defense...good luck with that. Who knows how Kobe will come back. I'm confident he will still be a great player, but he's 35 and he can't carry this team anymore.

I'm not even trying to be a downer, those are just straight facts. We won't make any noise.

I seriously hope I'm wrong and that I eat these words come playoff time next year. But I doubt it.

#24 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,606 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Winning doesn't define them. They're all winners because their on the court.

Wtf this ain't no Disney movie.

#25 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,117 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Is Kurt Rambis going to change the fact that this team can't play defense? I doubt it.

Kobe: 35, coming off surgery, and we all saw him last year and EVERYONE was complaining about his lack of effort defensively. He wasn't closing out on shooters at all. He can dig in for one or two key possessions and be a solid defender, but not much more than that.
Pau: can barely run back. He can't defend pick and roll and teams know that, and they exploit it.

I've seen people comparing our team to the Spurs. Please, that's an insult to the Spurs. Tim Duncan is way better than Pau on both ends of the floor. Kobe is definitely better than Ginobli, but prime TP vs 40 year old Nash... Not to mention they have better role players and a real coach in Greg Popovich.

We just lost Dwight Howard, the best player in the league at his position. Our hopes of finishing the season with a respectable record depend on Steve Nash and Pau Gasol being healthy and aggressive, and Nick Young ring consistent and playing good defense...good luck with that. Who knows how Kobe will come back. I'm confident he will still be a great player, but he's 35 and he can't carry this team anymore.

I'm not even trying to be a downer, those are just straight facts. We won't make any noise.

I seriously hope I'm wrong and that I eat these words come playoff time next year. But I doubt it.

I find it funny that just because we point out reality we get slammed for being a negative nancy.  I agree with you.  We can have the greatest defensive coach in the world but if we don't have the personals to do it, it could be very tough.  Just like when MDA said we need to shoot a lot of 3 pointers cus that is the best way to win, he doesn't look at the rosters of what he have. We don't have any 3 point shooters. Jodie Meeks was supposed to be our guy but he kinda suck last year. THis is why I said MDA suck as a coach. He keep on working his sytem without even looking at the roster he has. Letting a 7 footer shooting threes when his game is post offense shows the stupidity a coach is.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#26 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,649 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:52 AM

I've seen people comparing our team to the Spurs.

First, defense is the entire reason Rambis was hired.

And as he's stated his defensive schemes and drills won't have to do with a singular defensive stopper.

He made a great point about us having a great one in Dwight but still sucking defensively cause there was no cohesion or team defense or stopping the ball with 5 guys. That is the philosophy he'll bring, us being able to cover each other's backs and using all 5 guys to stop the ball together.

That's what Rambis brings.

And people compare the way our team is constructed to how the Spurs did theirs, as in their 2 or 3 main veterans surrounded by youth and athleticism and system players.

The only one that breaks the system player mold is Young.

Secondly, Pau will be playing center, it won't be on him to chase down guards from the forward position anymore, that's Hill's job as Gasol's is to switch to meet them at the rim and Hill's job is to switch oFf and stop the guy the pass goes to after Gasol rotates.

Gasol can no longer switch off and stop the guy the pass goes to at the 4, but he can switch to defend at the 5 and it requires less footwork by him as he'll usually be at the rim first. What happens is our switches off the hedge become faster cause it's Hill doing them as the forward, not Gasol, that helps a lot.

Another good aspect Rambis mentions that will help us play good defense, is proper spacing on offense. That is very overlooked, when our spacing isn't screwed and we get up good shots it allows less fast break opportunities for our opponents, having a good offense set in the half court allows us more opportunity to leak out after shots to prevent being run on, an issue we dealt with far too much last year.

We also have a deeper bench which is two extras deep at point guard and shooting guard, thus saving Kobe and Nash's legs, especially on back to backs.

There's a lot of good with how the team is built thus far. I hope Rambis is able to help us with that(team defense)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#27 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:20 AM

It's not that Nick Young 'can't' play defense. It's that he didn't, commit to that side of the floor. He has all the tools to be a very good defender but just lacked urgency when playing it or had a tendency to be lazy. But in the flow of the game when he wanted to and showed capability, ask Shannon Brown or Lebron James when they tried driving on him. But the issue was as was with everything else, Young never tried enough on that end and had lazy tendencies, deciding to focus primarily on scoring and letting that overshadow what he could do on then defensive end and falling too in love with it.

On the bright side, he acknowledged that as a problem.

The frustrating thing with Young was that he had all the tools to be more than he has been, MUCH more, but not the discipline. Hopefully being around vets like Nash and Kobe and a guy like Ram is can help. We can only hope.

He can be a average or above average defender but he won´t be a very good defender before he goes to the weight room and gets stronger and puts on more weight.

Posted Image

#28 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,034 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:33 AM

You can't really mask the weaknesses of many individual defenders no matter how good the scheme is. Rambis's scheme worked for a short period of time in 2009, but afterwards defense fell back to near 2008 levels just because the players were not defensively minded, aside from Kobe and Ariza. Many of the improvements came from the players being increasingly dedicated and having Ariza/Bynum back.

This team has probably one of the worst defensive starting lineups in the league. Playing zone might help some, but with an old roster jacking up 3's all the time (confirmed from D'Antoni's recent interview), the Lakers are still going to get outrun in transition every single time. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish in the bottom half of the league defensively. 

#29 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,795 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:57 AM

Rambis will help a little, but we're going to be destroyed by teams all year long. We will be really, REALLY bad on defense. People hate Dwight for leaving us, but that shouldn't blind them to the fact that he was basically the only thing keeping us from giving up 110+ on a nightly basis.

#30 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 587 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Um, no Paris.

This isn't little league for 3 year-old kids.  This is professional sports, and its the one of the biggest franchises in the world of sports.  Winning defines the Lakers, nothing more, nothing less.

Seriously, nobody got the joke? I was kidding.

Edited by Paris, July 31, 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#31 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:59 AM

There's no joke button on here, can't tell when people are or aren't.

And Basketball IQ, gimme a break.  Utah is Utah, they don't expect to win, so what they have is "entertainment".  This is the Lakers its an entirely different kind of story.  Arguing for argument's sake gets real old.

#32 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,649 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Seriously, nobody got the joke? I was kidding.

I did :D +1

But even if no one else got the joke, you're still a winner :)

Edited by Majesty, July 31, 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#33 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,649 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Unfortunately the league isn't about attacking from the mid range anymore.

It's about penetrating to set up wide open threes or layups, swinging the ball to set up wide open threes, or finding people on cuts for layups.

Ewen I look at our lineup who is guys that can shoot 3s?

Nash, Blake, Farmar
Kobe, Young, Meeks
Johnson
Harris, Kelly

That's 9 players on our roster that can shoot 3s. The ones that don't or it wouldn't be reccomended for is, Gasol, Kaman, Hill, Sacre.

So that's 9 out of 14 players our roster can shoot 3s. Makes sense.

The benefit is that we have a point guard that can push the pace if need be. Can Farmar do what Sessions could do out of pick and roll? Probably to an extent and that is his purpose.

If D'antoni puts a lineup of Farmar, Young and Johnson out there. They're likely gonna be a unit that pushes tempo and shoots 3s. Kaman or Gasol could play a role similar to Gortat in that scenario.

But it is very easy what D'antoni wants to do and why we got Farmar. D'antoni is obviously gonna still be running horns last year, but the benefit of horns is having the initiator able to finish at the rim if the opening is there, Kobe was the only initiator that could do that consistently last year and thus was the guy running high screen and rolls. Farmar was gotten for this reason as D'antoni likely wanted a younger point guard for some lineups so he can push tempo. Given our depth that is now able to
Gonna finish this later lol wrote this on my phone days ago and have no idea where I was going with it

#34 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,542 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:34 AM

Run n' Gun ?

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users