#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,098 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 30, 2013 - 03:55 AM

Interviewer: What do you see when you look at this roster?

Kurt Rambis: You know, it's a challenge to me. I enjoy trying to put a team together, when you look at trying to get players to make sacrifices, trying to get guys to work with the other guys that are out there on the floor and be able to figure out a way to cover each others backs and stop the ball defensively, those are all like challenges to me. 

But when you look at, and these are still big 'ifs'. 

If Pau Gasol comes back healthy aggressive and assertive. That's going to be a huge asset.

Chris Kaman; look at how he played a few years ago with the Clippers. He was a center in this league that needed to be double teamed most of the time because he was just so productive with the Clippers, can we get him back at that level?

Nick Young; Can we get him playing at an offensive clip where he's more consistent and provide some sort of defense. His athleticism and his youth is gonna help take some scoring load off of Kobe.

Steve Nash at his age, but with his creative ability if we can get him healthy.

As you can tell, as I go down this line there's an awful lot of "ifs" with this ball club.  But if everything kind of comes together then everything can work out very well, because Chris Kaman and Pau Gasol can both play high and play low; Kobe can create shots, Kobe can post up and be hard to double team off of one of those guys. 
You don't want to leave Steve Nash wide open, you don't want to leave Nick Young open.  So there are opportunities if you look at the bright side of this roster if everything comes together it can be a very fun team to watch.

Listen to full interview here: http://www.am570radi...to-be-11525672/

I personally agree, everything has to click, but if it does we have the potential to make a little noise this year.  More noise than we made last year.  But of course it depends on those variables as well as the health of our team.

What Rambis adds to the Lakers defensively:

After the 2008 NBA Finals, in which the Lakers lost to the Boston Celtics, Rambis was appointed by Phil Jackson as the defensive coordinator and implemented some zone schemes.

Now, although the Lakers’ opponents’ field goal percentage in 2008 (.445) was already good (ranked 6th in the league) and stayed relatively the same in 2009 (ranked 6th again at .447), opponents’ points per game dropped from 101.3 (19th) in 2008 to 99.3 (13th) in 2009.

Now, although the Lakers’ opponents’ field goal percentage in 2008 (.445) was already good (ranked 6th in the league) and stayed relatively the same in 2009 (ranked 6th again at .447), opponents’ points per game dropped from 101.3 (19th) in 2008 to 99.3 (13th) in 2009.

Although the regular season numbers were similar, in the postseason, the Lakers’ opponents’ field goal percentage dropped from 43.6 (6th) in 2008 to 42.9 (2nd) in 2009.

More significantly, opponents’ points per game went from 100.2 (12th) all the way down to 95.2 (8th).

Obviously, the health of Trevor Ariza and relative health of Andrew Bynum played important parts in the 2009 playoffs as opposed to the run in 2008, but Rambis’ new defensive schemes certainly helped out quite a bit.

Read THIS more here: http://www.lakersnat...comment-page-1/

Nice to have this guy back on the bench!!

Edited by Majesty, July 30, 2013 - 03:59 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,786 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 30, 2013 - 12:28 PM

My relatives define "good food" as a lot of it. So it all depends on how he defines "fun".  I suspect it was the nicest thing he could think of to describe the coming train wreck of a season.

Nick young is a career 42% "shooting guard".  What does "consistent" mean?  He is a notoriously bad defender.  What does "some sort of defense" mean .. something better than awful? Nash and Young in the same backcourt is a frightening prospect.

Edited by LakerGeezer, July 30, 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#3 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,391 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted July 30, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Lol some sort of defense from young? Sounds encouraging haha.

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,871 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 30, 2013 - 01:36 PM

My relatives define "good food" as a lot of it. So it all depends on how he defines "fun".  I suspect it was the nicest thing he could think of to describe the coming train wreck of a season.

Nick young is a career 42% "shooting guard".  What does "consistent" mean?  He is a notoriously bad defender.  What does "some sort of defense" mean .. something better than awful? Nash and Young in the same backcourt is a frightening prospect.

Not worse than Duhon and Meeks, which we had for a LONG time last season. Like 6 weeks worth of that while Kobe sat.

People really forget how much we sucked at first. When brown was still our coach we were getting stomped by 15, every night. Pre-season and the 4 losses. Then with MDA, we blew leads and lost games or almost comeback. Then we eventually started winning games, some of them too close for comfort or due to big comebacks, but we progressed into a good team.

I think that foundation was laid despite the NEGATIVE ENERGY of Dwight Howard. Pau back in the post, Nash  with viable back-ups. Perimeter SPEED increase by a solid percentage and , we know Kaman has a skillset that can translate to a good pick and pop player

#5 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,786 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 30, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not worse than Duhon and Meeks, which we had for a LONG time last season. Like 6 weeks worth of that while Kobe sat.

People really forget how much we sucked at first. When brown was still our coach we were getting stomped by 15, every night. Pre-season and the 4 losses. Then with MDA, we blew leads and lost games or almost comeback. Then we eventually started winning games, some of them too close for comfort or due to big comebacks, but we progressed into a good team.

I think that foundation was laid despite the NEGATIVE ENERGY of Dwight Howard. Pau back in the post, Nash  with viable back-ups. Perimeter SPEED increase by a solid percentage and , we know Kaman has a skillset that can translate to a good pick and pop player

Good post, B-IQ, you have a way of always looking at the glass as half full.  I hope you're right and I am dead wrong.  My heart wants to believe one thing but my head tells me another.  We'll see.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,098 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 02:53 PM

It's not that Nick Young 'can't' play defense. It's that he didn't, commit to that side of the floor. He has all the tools to be a very good defender but just lacked urgency when playing it or had a tendency to be lazy. But in the flow of the game when he wanted to and showed capability, ask Shannon Brown or Lebron James when they tried driving on him. But the issue was as was with everything else, Young never tried enough on that end and had lazy tendencies, deciding to focus primarily on scoring and letting that overshadow what he could do on then defensive end and falling too in love with it.

On the bright side, he acknowledged that as a problem.

The frustrating thing with Young was that he had all the tools to be more than he has been, MUCH more, but not the discipline. Hopefully being around vets like Nash and Kobe and a guy like Ram is can help. We can only hope.

#7 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,328 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 30, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Young could be a All-Star if he ever put everything together.Hope he feeds off Kobe determination to be the best, and that rubs off on him.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,098 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Young could be a All-Star if he ever put everything together.Hope he feeds off Kobe determination to be the best, and that rubs off on him.

If he does he'll be the best wing player beside Kobe since..... I have no idea lol...who was the last wing player the Lakers had that could find their own shot and go off for 30 on any given night aside from Kobe? Eddie Jones? Has it really been THAT long?

Edited by Majesty, July 30, 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#9 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,254 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 30, 2013 - 04:20 PM

If he does he'll be the best wing player beside Kobe since..... I have no idea lol...who was the last wing player the Lakers had that could find their own shot and go off for 30 on any given night aside from Kobe? Eddie Jones? Has it really been THAT long?

pretty much.. kobe has been the lone guard that can make buckets

ap1.png

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,098 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 04:49 PM

pretty much.. kobe has been the lone guard that can make buckets

Wow,,, you know..it never hits you..till it HITS you how long it's been.

Edited by Majesty, July 30, 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#11 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,919 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 30, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Kurt, we all love ya and all, but success isn't measured in "fun to watch".

#12 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 30, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Kurt, we all love ya and all, but success isn't measured in "fun to watch".

Winning doesn't define them. They're all winners because their on the court.

#13 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted July 30, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Winning doesn't define them. They're all winners because their on the court.

ok dwight
Posted Image

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,098 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Kurt Rambis was gotten for one reason:  DEFENSE

Rambis Returns Home to Preach Defense

rambis.jpg

“My background is more at the defensive end, and the Lakers obviously had problems at the defensive end last year,” said Rambis on LakersTV. “So hopefully I can bring some ideas and some drills that can help them get on the same page and play a much more consistent game on that end of the floor.” - See more at: http://blog.lakers.c...h.4XN2AY0m.dpuf
Rambis Returns Home to Preach Defense

“My background is more at the defensive end, and the Lakers obviously had problems at the defensive end last year,” said Rambis on LakersTV. “So hopefully I can bring some ideas and some drills that can help them get on the same page and play a much more consistent game on that end of the floor.”

The three-time former Lakers assistant (1994-99, 2001-04 and 2005-09) acknowledged several “ifs” on the roster that mostly describe the health of the older players like Kobe Bryant (recovering from surgery on his Achilles), Pau Gasol (recovering from a knee procedure) and Steve Nash (getting up to 100 percent from various issues). Yet he sees reasons for optimism especially on offense.

“If you look at the offensive capabilities of this team, when you look at Nick Young coming in, Wesley Johnson, (Jordan) Farmar and (Chris) Kaman and how they can assimilate themselves with Kobe, Nash and Pau, there’s a lot of potential out there to be a very good offensive team.

“A lot of floor spacing, guys who can create their own shots, inside play, outside play. If everything works out right, offensively, it should be a good year for the Lakers.”

How does that translate to defense?

“Now it’s just getting offensive oriented-players to focus at the defensive end,” Rambis summarized. “If they can find ways to get stops on a consistent basis, the team will give themselves a chance to win.”

- See more at: http://blog.lakers.c...h.4XN2AY0m.dpuf

YAY!!! Floor spacing!!! :D :bounce: :woot:

Edited by Majesty, July 30, 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#15 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,743 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I guess it may be fun to see. As in instant comedy.

#16 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,919 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted July 30, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Um, no Paris.

This isn't little league for 3 year-old kids.  This is professional sports, and its the one of the biggest franchises in the world of sports.  Winning defines the Lakers, nothing more, nothing less.

#17 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 30, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Kurt Rambis was gotten for one reason:  DEFENSE

YAY!!! Floor spacing!!! :D :bounce: :woot:

If only we had that when we had Coward  :laughing:

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#18 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,756 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted July 30, 2013 - 10:25 PM

It is if your name is Dwight Howard...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#19 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 11:52 PM

I think Rambis towed the company line.  I don't think he's ready to claim this team is a contender but now, when the Lakers get flamed for being bad defensively, it will be his rep getting torn to shreds...much like he did to MDA last year.  Of course, he's only going to temper confidence with many qualifiers to leave himself room for an excuse.

And being fun to watch is how GSW got back to a semblance of relevance in the NBA...especially when they don't have all of the pieces to contend.

I'll go out on a limb and say that if everyone remains relatively healthy, this is a 2nd playoff team.

#20 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 31, 2013 - 01:45 AM

I don't know if I follow Rambis's train of thought, but him coming back to the Lakers to teach defense to this specific roster took a lot of guts. Hopefully, he saw something in them that a lot of us have dismissed as nothing more than blind optimism. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users