#1 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Mitch Kupchak says Lakers won't throw in the towel next season 

A lot has happened to the Lakers since General Manager Mitch Kupchak last spoke in depth to reporters. 

Dwight Howard left for Houston despite the Lakers' very public campaign to keep him. Metta World Peace was waived via the amnesty provision and quickly joined New York. Chris Kaman, Nick Young, Jordan Farmar and Wesley Johnson were all signed as free agents. 

It leaves the Lakers … where, exactly? 

But first, the obvious question for Kupchak, who spoke Monday to The Times in his first interview in more than a month: 

How disappointed was he to lose Howard in free agency to the "little town" of Houston, as Shaquille O'Neal derisively called it? 

"It wasn't a surprise. I had a feeling that Houston was a frontrunner, and whenever a player is an unrestricted free agent, anything can happen," Kupchak said. "Clearly, we wanted to keep him here in Los Angeles, and I felt we did everything we could do within reason to show we did want to keep him here. 

"Until the end, I kept up hope. I think we were as persistent as we could be within reason. I wasn't shocked but I was disappointed." 

With Kobe Bryant coming back at an unknown date from a torn Achilles' tendon, is it time to punt away next season and play for a high draft pick in 2014? 

"You know that's not our plan. Our plan was to bring back Dwight Howard and that would have sky-rocketed our payroll," Kupchak said. "That's never a plan here with our fan base, to throw in the towel before the season begins. We always try to win, and that's what we're going to do this year. 

"We have challenges. There's no doubt. We don't know when Kobe's coming back, and we don't know what level he's going to come back at, although we're optimistic. Everything's good with Steve [Nash]. Pau [Gasol] should be fine. We've added some athleticism. We're hopefully putting ourselves in position where we can compete in every game." 

It's still hard to gauge Bryant's return date after having surgery in mid-April to repair his Achilles. The original timetable released by the team called for six to nine months of recovery time.

Full Article (more regarding plans for cap space in 2014, etc.) 

Edited by bfc1125roy, July 29, 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#2 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the article/interview! Good read.

I hope we hit a grand slam in 2014/2015

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#3 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Clearly, we wanted to keep him here in Los Angeles, and I felt we did everything we could do within reason to show we did want to keep him here.

Sounds as though Mitch and Co. weren't prepared to sell the farm for D12. I'm glad I heard it from Mitch instead of Nash and Kobe.

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,144 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:22 PM

it makes sense because he basically said that re sign ing Dwight Howard would have been something that put them way over the luxury tax so at that point they wouldn't have been able to get under no matter what day did unless they cut nearly everyone so it makes sense that he doesn't want to get rid of more players just to get under the luxury tax since that never seemed to be part of their plans in the first place. sans seemed more concerned with that then they did.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

SI ME GUSTA!

• 4,344 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Here's an interview he had with Petros and Money on Monday: http://www.am570radi...to-be-11525672/

#6 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,259 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:53 PM

Mitch just seems not as strong as he once was since JB passed

ap1.png

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,144 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Mitch just seems not as strong as he once was since JB passed

haven't really sensed a difference in Mitch.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users