56 replies to this topic

#1 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2013 - 02:23 PM

Idk, if you guys are avid hip hop fans like I am but Kendrick is currently changing the game. He's one of those artist's that probably won't sell out like the trash of Hip Hop (Drake, Lil' Wayne, etc..) He is also my favorite rapper since like 2009.

And recently I was googling on Nick Young and have found out they are cousins. 

Who is on your playlist right now?
I’ve been listening to A$AP, Drake, Wiz, Nipsey Hussle, Ross and Kendrick Lamar. Kendrick is my cousin. Actually, I just found out through my dad. I knew him when he was little, but I hadn’t seen him in a while and now it’s like ‘Damn, I didn’t know that’s my cousin and I ain't seen him in forever.’ That’s big time.
You tweeted about a "Swagy P mixtape" a few months ago, is that something we should be looking for?
[Laughs.] Hey, we got a little studio in the house and we be rapping a little bit just playing around. I want to make a video real soon. I might do something just to do it. There's a lot of talent all around.
Are you going to get a Kendrick Lamar feature on there?
Get Kendrick, then the whole West Coast: Jay Rock, Nipsey Hussle, everybody. [Laughs.]

http://www.complex.c...nguisher/page/2

Young can probably get Kendrick at Laker games nowadays.

If you aren't familiar with Kendrick,

Mod's can move this too off-topic, if you want. 

Edited by Ham, July 29, 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#2 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,250 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 29, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Pretty cool that they're cousins

#3 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Worthy

Posted July 29, 2013 - 02:58 PM

I went to a Kendrick concert last month. He was terrible live

#4 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,950 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Terrible live? ... Not the three times i've seen him perform... had the crowd going crazy... then again i'm a big fan and know the lyrics to the majority of his songs so idk..

OD_zpsef7494d9.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#5 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,880 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:38 PM

who?

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#6 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,920 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:40 PM

I went to a Kendrick concert last month. He was terrible live

Sun God Festival at SD?

2div

#7 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Terrible live? ... Not the three times i've seen him perform... had the crowd going crazy... then again i'm a big fan and know the lyrics to the majority of his songs so idk..

Sun God Festival at SD?

It was at the SD county fair so to be honest it wasn't the best venue. But he didn't really perform the songs, he just let the crowd sing the songs and had the song playing in the background. Honestly I thought his voice sounded nothing like on his records. I just saw atmosphere, slightly stoopid and the Grouch live though so I guess I'm spoiled.

Edited by SDLakersfan24, July 29, 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#8 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,510 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:54 PM

It was at the SD county fair so to be honest it wasn't the best venue. But he didn't really perform the songs, he just let the crowd sing the songs and had the song playing in the background. Honestly I thought his voice sounded nothing like on his records. I just saw atmosphere, slightly stoopid and the Grouch live though so I guess I'm spoiled.

Awesome

#9 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Awesome

Yeh it was awesome, gonna be seeing 311, Sublime with rome, Cypress Hill and Pennywise on Aug 2nd.

#10 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,225 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 29, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Saw Kendrick last October with ab soul and jay rock. Kendrick brought out dr dre and t.i. It was the most fun I've ever had at a concert

• 40,604 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Yeh it was awesome, gonna be seeing 311, Sublime with rome, Cypress Hill and Pennywise on Aug 2nd.

That's how Jason would have wanted it.

yo.

#12 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:04 PM

That's how Jason would have wanted it.

Yeh its too bad he and brad from sublime aren't around anymore, those groups are still awesome but not the same

Edited by SDLakersfan24, July 29, 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#13 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 29, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Why every time someone on the internet talks Hip Hop/Rap, they always have to stress " Yeah I hate Wayne and Drake and mainstream and stuffs"? You know what I do when I think something is garbage and I don't like it? I blank it out and ignore it. I don't bring it up every chance I get. That's just called being a " Hater" IMO.

On topic, that's interesting. I can kinda see a slight resemblance now that it's been brought to the forefront. :laughing:

Edited by Paris, July 29, 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#14 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 29, 2013 - 08:16 PM

I was just about the say the same thing. I'm not a huge Drake fan or Wayne, but both have made INCREDIBLE hip hop songs.

Hip-hop ain't some formulaic thing. Just because dudes make mainstream music, it doesn't mean they sold out.

Wayne is from a culture in which MUSIC is everything. IN New Orleans, all those IMPOVERISHED black citizens have to bring happiness is GOOD FOOD and GOOD MUSIC. 

Drake is basically a young Jay-Z, Kendrick just made his Illmatic. I would say Drake is more like Big daddy Kane though, and he's from the burbs of Canade so sometimes I think that hurts the "soul" of his music, but still dude makes very good music.

that Versace remix is a great "trap" song, while he has made some great R&B, some good truth spittin, put words and metaphors together nice and is new.

As good as someone like J Cole is, he sounds like a retread of an era that was great, but I don't feel like his music makes me think "wow, this dude is changing the game". Got lyrics though. But lyrics is just ONE part of rap. Its the way you say things. its your image. its your personality and it's the BEATS.

#15 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Why every time someone on the internet talks Hip Hop/Rap, they always have to stress " Yeah I hate Wayne and Drake and mainstream and stuffs"? You know what I do when I think something is garbage and I don't like it? I blank it out and ignore it. I don't bring it up every chance I get. That's just called being a " Hater" IMO.

On topic, that's interesting. I can kinda see a slight resemblance now that it's been brought to the forefront. :laughing:

I've been listening to rap since the late 80s, early 90s as a kid. Lil' Wayne is just a horrible rapper. You dont see a lot of rapper that talk about real [expletive] anymore. He puts it to shame. All these mainstream garbage rappers are sell-outs. I've been looking for real rap throughout this whole decade and I think I'm finally getting it with new comers like Kendrick. Nas carried rap in the earlier in the decade. And when i mean carried, i mean it. this guy went 13 times platinum on a album thay was just pure rap not some [expletive] money weed [expletive]. Even Jay-Z sold out all for money. Old kanye was really good but now he's also sell out.

The mainstream rapper rap for money. Those who didn't sell-out are rapping for rap in general. Rap was poetry. Now it's "swag, swag, swag." You guys probably give in too music like that.

It's reassuring that there is some people in the game that can carry the torch like Nas did. That is why people bring up theSe mainstream rappers. It's not hating. We dont like the direction its going. There are still some people that are rap fans and actually appreciate real rap sometimes.

Lol anyways but it would be funny if Nick Young actually made a song with Kendrick feature

Edited by Ham, July 29, 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#16 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,225 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 29, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Big daddy Kane and drake should never ever be mentioned in the same sentence. That's a slap in the face to big daddy Kane. Enough hip hop talk. Just let Kobe come back healthy and let the season start.

#17 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 08:58 PM

If this was directed at me, I never said I hated Kendrick Lamar, I actually like a few of his songs, all I said was that I saw him live and he wasn't good, I can have an opinion on something I paid to watch.

#18 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 08:58 PM

I've been listening to rap since the late 80s, early 90s as a kid. Lil' Wayne is just a horrible rapper. You dont see a lot of rapper that talk about real [expletive] anymore. He puts it to shame. All these mainstream garbage rappers are sell-outs. I've been looking for real rap throughout this whole decade and I think I'm finally getting it with new comers like Kendrick. Nas carried rap in the earlier in the decade. And when i mean carried, i mean it. this guy went 13 times platinum on a album thay was just pure rap not some [expletive] money weed [expletive]. Even Jay-Z sold out all for money. Old kanye was really good but now he's also sell out.

The mainstream rapper rap for money. Those who didn't sell-out are rapping for rap in general. Rap was poetry. Now it's "swag, swag, swag." You guys probably give in too music like that.

It's reassuring that there is some people in the game that can carry the torch like Nas did. That is why people bring up theSe mainstream rappers. It's not hating. We dont like the direction its going. There are still some people that are rap fans and actually appreciate real rap sometimes.

Lol anyways but it would be funny if Nick Young actually made a song with Kendrick feature

You just completely missed my point. I don't care if you think they're garbage, I care about the fact that I go into any topic Hip hop related and people who don't like them bring them up specifically to hate. We get it. Besides, This " they don't talk about anything" is purely subjective. I from Engelwood in Chicago and I relate to music from Wayne, Drake, Nas, Biggie, Kendrick Lamar etc. There's no boundaries, that's what's wrong with most people who say stuff like he sold out and real rap. You guys close yourselves off for some odd reason, I like Mainstream and underground. I just don't get why you guys close yourselves off and act like mainstream equals trash. Only a matter of time before I start reading " Kendrick Lamar is garbage", LOL.

And how do they not talk real stuff. Are you just basing you're opinion off of their radio songs. Have you heard Take Care? Wayne doesn't have an album like that, but he has them spread out :laughing: . But that's what I like about him. He's an enigma, he's different from anything Rap has ever seen. Whether you think that is a good or bad thing is up to you.

Now I'll give you that he isn't really good nowadays, but that's what can happen when you make over 1000 songs in a 20 year span, you burn out.

Edited by Paris, July 29, 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#19 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:00 PM

If this was directed at me, I never said I hated Kendrick Lamar, I actually like a few of his songs, all I said was that I saw him live and he wasn't good, I can have an opinion on something I paid to watch.

How does that seem like it was directed at you? You didn't bring up Wayne and Drake and say how there garbage for know good reason other than to get you're daily bashing of them out there.

#20 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:03 PM

How does that seem like it was directed at you? You didn't bring up Wayne and Drake and say how there garbage for know good reason other than to get you're daily bashing of them out there.

Because no one else in the thread has said anything negative about Kendrick Lamar except me. My bad I thought you were calling me a hater for saying Kendrick was terrible in concert.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users