44 replies to this topic

#21 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,813 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 29, 2013 - 12:52 AM

Well, I'm just looking at it from a luxury tax perspective. The Lakers could use both. You need depth behind Steve Nash and J Hill is the only defensive-minded big man the Lakers have. But, the Lakers should definitely get under the luxury tax threshold this season.

Hopefully the other players the Lakers get would be able to replace some of the things those players do.

Agree! I think it'll be difficult though. 

Right now we're at 76,5 not counting Harris, Kelly or that extra guy from summerleague - that's probably 2,5 combined. So we'll be at 79 million. 

We could trade Blake, Meeks and Sacre for nothing (trade exception, future 2nd round picks, a bag of chips, whatever) which would take us within 1 million of the luxury tax that is set at 71.7 million.

OR we could include Hill and get below the tax. 

OR just trade Gasol for a cheaper option, like Varejao or something. 

Personally, i think we should do whatever we can to keep both Hill and Pau. Those guys can be big pieces on the Lakers' roster going forward, and i really expect Pau to give a big discount on his next deal. To all the Pau haters out there: for 18/yr playing the 4 he's overpaid, but if we could get him for 8/yr at the 5 and pair him with an elite defender, that's a bargain. 

#22 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 29, 2013 - 01:00 AM

I think bash might be moved

9 million
That's a huge number

Lakers should go for a 2014 1sr rounder for nash

#23 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,813 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 01:43 AM

I think bash might be moved

9 million
That's a huge number

Lakers should go for a 2014 1sr rounder for nash

They could move Nash, though i'm not sure how. 

The obvious would be to move him to Toronto for Kyle Lowry or Amir Johnson, which would save us 3 million and give us options going forward. Toronto might also be interested since Lowry is a FA this upcoming summer and Nash is, well, canadian. 

Another option is the Knicks for Fat Ray Felton and fillers. This would improve the Knicks' offense and with a guy like Shumpert, they'd be able to hide Nash's defensive shortcomings. Not really a fan of Felton, though. 

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,127 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:22 AM

Am i the only one who still wants josh selby on this team?

7485950.jpg

I'd take him over Hudson though lol

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#25 Kevin_405

Kevin_405

Rookie

• 221 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Well, I'm just looking at it from a luxury tax perspective. The Lakers could use both. You need depth behind Steve Nash and J Hill is the only defensive-minded big man the Lakers have. But, the Lakers should definitely get under the luxury tax threshold this season.

Hopefully the other players the Lakers get would be able to replace some of the things those players do.

I dont think the current CBA allows tax paying teams to trade without taking back contracts that make up 75% of salary. What that means is the lux tax savings of trading Blake or Hill is minimal.  I can see one of both of them getting traded near the trade deadline to save some money if the lakers are in a miserable situation.

I can see this team playing a lot more freely with the current roster and see them with a outside chance of the last playoff spot

#26 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,504 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Doubt any team is taking back Blake for nothing, even a 2nd rounder.  A bad team that likely has cap room has no incentive and most of the good contending teams are over the cap or close enough not to be able to absorb a full 4M and on top of that Blake just isnt a hot commodity anymore. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#27 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,813 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Doubt any team is taking back Blake for nothing, even a 2nd rounder.  A bad team that likely has cap room has no incentive and most of the good contending teams are over the cap or close enough not to be able to absorb a full 4M and on top of that Blake just isnt a hot commodity anymore. 

Maybe not, but getting rid of his contract is still a good idea. This year, all teams need to have a minimum payroll of about 50-some million and there are still teams that are a few millions short of that.

#28 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,618 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted July 29, 2013 - 07:14 AM

get landry

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#29 WeNeedVanExcel

WeNeedVanExcel

Rookie

• 386 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 29, 2013 - 07:36 AM

Yep.....put me on the bandwagon for Landry. I think he is a tough defender like his brother and a player that is very competitive. Also like how he has added to his game and improved his J. He has more of a diverse skill set than Harris and Harris gets a deal. 

#30 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,883 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted July 29, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Blake won't go anywhere with Nash's injuries and age. Plus he's played well.

Hill will be staying as well.

#31 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:12 PM

If the Lakers really want to get rid of him, they can send back cash along with 2nd rounders of their own. They can just take back a protected 2nd round pick that's highly unlikely to pay off, so it would be like the other team is giving up nothing. And, Blake was a decent player last year, albeit overpaid.

It'll be hard, but I don't think impossible. Maybe they can package those things along with Jordan Hill as well.

Posted Image

#32 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Only 2 who are in danger of being shipped out as the season goes on are Meeks and Pau.  If Kobe comes back sooner than expected and Young/Johnson do well playing 2/3, Meeks is the odd man out.  If Pau doesn't make himself indespensible by January, he's likely gone also for a 1st rnd pick and an expiring contract...

It would have been in the Lakers best interest this year to trade Dwight to HOU and get the TPE but it preserves cap flexibility for next year so I sorta see what they were trying to accomplish.

Neither Blake nor Hill make enough to make moving them for picks a good idea...unless it's a 2014 1st rnd pick...which just isn't going to happen.  Both likely stay barring something crazy like Pau/filler for Bass/Green...

#33 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 29, 2013 - 11:18 PM

TRADE BLAKE!!! We can probably get something good for him while his stock is high... and at this point in his career he's only going to get worst hopefully we can get another pick for him in next year's draft

#34 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,127 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 11:43 PM

TRADE BLAKE!!! We can probably get something good for him while his stock is high... and at this point in his career he's only going to get worst hopefully we can get another pick for him in next year's draft

You aren't getting an earlier first round draft pick for Blake.  

And if Nash goes down then you only have Farmar.

There's a reason why Blake and Meeks aren't throw aways. 

Nash has two point guards backing him
Kobe has two shooting guards backing him

This is by design not coincidence.

On the bright side for you though the Knicks worked out Darius Morris.

Edited by Majesty, July 29, 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#35 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,504 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 30, 2013 - 05:24 AM

Lmao trade him while his stock is high?  When was it ever high? What on earth makes you think a team would give up a first round pick for Steve Blake of all people

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#36 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:32 AM

You aren't getting an earlier first round draft pick for Blake.  

And if Nash goes down then you only have Farmar.

There's a reason why Blake and Meeks aren't throw aways. 

Nash has two point guards backing him
Kobe has two shooting guards backing him

This is by design not coincidence.

On the bright side for you though the Knicks worked out Darius Morris.

I'd rather us Trade away Blake for a pick and then sign another PG for the minimum just to get the pay roll down... and IDC for Darius Morris he doesn't play for the Lakers anymore

Lmao trade him while his stock is high?  When was it ever high? What on earth makes you think a team would give up a first round pick for Steve Blake of all people

He had his best season with us Last year and I'm sure there are plenty of teams looking for a back up PG that they can use!

#37 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,174 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Marcus Landry's deal with the Lakers will have a small guarantee. More of a camp invite. But Lakers do like him

I thank God for this Opportunity to be apart of a great organization #lakers #HardWorkPaysOff #itsallGod

Apparently sounds like we signed him.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, July 31, 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#38 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 31, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Marcus Landry's deal with the Lakers will have a small guarantee. More of a camp invite. But Lakers do like him

I thank God for this Opportunity to be apart of a great organization #lakers #HardWorkPaysOff #itsallGod

Apparently sounds like we signed him.

All the CDR stans shaking.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#39 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,127 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 03:44 PM

All the CDR stans shaking.

It's a camp invite. 

As eager as you are to try to jump on the anti-CDR bandwagon, you'll have to wait a bit longer.

Don't be a hidden stan ;)

Edited by Majesty, July 31, 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#40 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 31, 2013 - 03:45 PM

It's a camp invite. 

As eager as you are to try to jump on the anti-CDR bandwagon, you'll have to wait a bit longer.

Don't be a hidden stan ;)

I won't become a fan till he proves it in a real NBA game as a Laker; if he becomes a Laker.

Edited by Ham, July 31, 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users