Photo

Would you consider Kobe a "streaky shooter"?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,464 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Actually shot a worse % when his wrist healed up.  It was more about the team not using the triangle and being a mess offensively.  Bynum crowding Pau's roles and Mike Brown overall not knowing much about offense.  In turn you get Kobe going hero mode much more often than what is needed. 

Career 45%

Only in a lockout season in which he fractured his wrist did his % fade.

He is a streaky shooter but most players are.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#22 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,027 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 27, 2013 - 02:27 PM

No because he's not a Mike Miller type player who just stands around the 3 point line taking spot up shots. He's received the most defensive attention in the NBA since Shaq in his prime and still is a top 3 scorer in the league year after year. If Kobe were a streaky shooter defenses wouldn't focus so much attention trying to stop him, there's a reason they're [expletive] scared of leaving him even in a 1 on 1 iso situation. 

#23 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 725 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted July 27, 2013 - 02:52 PM

No because he's not a Mike Miller type player who just stands around the 3 point line taking spot up shots. He's received the most defensive attention in the NBA since Shaq in his prime and still is a top 3 scorer in the league year after year. If Kobe were a streaky shooter defenses wouldn't focus so much attention trying to stop him, there's a reason they're [expletive] scared of leaving him even in a 1 on 1 iso situation. 

Good point, many times he is doubled or triple teamed.

#24 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,150 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted July 27, 2013 - 04:31 PM

He is a streaky shooter but most players are.

So why make the thread?

#25 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,358 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:11 PM

Then pass I!!!! :laughing:

Good point, many times he is doubled or triple teamed.

#26 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,031 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Then pass I!!!! :laughing:

he does

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#27 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,464 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:15 PM

He does but then he doesn't.  The best thing I read to describe Kobe is that he knows the right play but trust himself more.  A lot of times Kobe can be a ball hog for the sole reason he just doenst trust anyone else on the floor to get it done at that particular time. 

he does

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#28 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,082 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:21 PM

He does but then he doesn't.  The best thing I read to describe Kobe is that he knows the right play but trust himself more.  A lot of times Kobe can be a ball hog for the sole reason he just doenst trust anyone else on the floor to get it done at that particular time. 

i don't blame him 

ap1.png

#29 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,031 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:59 PM

That usually happens when other guys aren't moving though.  I do notice when the team is actually playing like a team Kobe often waits in the weeds to do his thing and passes.

But when they play malaise as he puts it, then he puts the hard hat on and tries to carry them through the rough time till they find themselves.

The problem is once he starts doing that they often stop feeling the need to find themselves and would rather he carry them. Unless he's not there to fall back on.

See I remember the year with the Bulls when Rose basically played through all those injuries to carry them through the season, they played BAD, and Rose had to push himself to carry them.   Pushed himself through injury, once he was down THEN  they started playing hard, and after an off-season to prepare, then they played the way they played this season.   But the truth of the matter is had they played that way with that much determination when Rose was healthy, he wouldn't have had to push himself beyond exhaustion and through the brinks in order for them to win games.

Same can be said of the Lakers, when Kobe went down they played with a sense of urgency, a sense of urgency that had they played with before, Kobe wouldn't have had to do all he had to do to keep us alive in games.

What Kobe needs or wants from his teammates is for them to have the same sense of urgency that he does on every night, that's nearly an unrealistic possibility, especially last year when his main backup(Meeks) was there only because he hoped Kobe would carry him to a title(thus why he had the worst year of his career).

This year is hopefully different. 

There is a difference, even the Mike Brown, Lakers team played with a sense of urgency.  When Kobe sat out for 10 games, they went 9-1 or something during that stretch.  Carried it for 3 games into the playoffs while Kobe was back... and then..back to malaise.

That can't happen.

I think that's another reason why Mitch got guys that not only want to be here but have something to prove. 

just my 2 cents. 

Agree with the rest of what you said.

#30 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 725 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted July 27, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Don't have the stats at hand but I believe Kobe has pretty good assists numbers especially for being a shooting guard.

#31 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,031 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Don't have the stats at hand but I believe Kobe has pretty good assists numbers especially for being a shooting guard.

Actually Kobe was the number one shooting guard in assists last year.

#32 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,685 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:06 PM

But Kobe's a ball hog!

2div

#33 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,464 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Im not totally knocking him for it, its who he is.  All players have a flaw.  I will say its like a circle.  Sometimes its hard to see what comes first.  There are times his hero ball will make players disinterested and others where their lack of aggressiveness will make him go into hero ball mode.  I don't think its fair to justify it all the time like some of us have done. I was a kobe stan when I was younger and did it all the time.  Then I learned about the strategy side of the sport much more as I got older and realized Kobe could have been a better player without it.  I dont think he's a ball hog in the AI sense but Kobe does have moments that make you scratch your head. 

That usually happens when other guys aren't moving though.  I do notice when the team is actually playing like a team Kobe often waits in the weeds to do his thing and passes.

But when they play malaise as he puts it, then he puts the hard hat on and tries to carry them through the rough time till they find themselves.

The problem is once he starts doing that they often stop feeling the need to find themselves and would rather he carry them. Unless he's not there to fall back on.

See I remember the year with the Bulls when Rose basically played through all those injuries to carry them through the season, they played BAD, and Rose had to push himself to carry them.   Pushed himself through injury, once he was down THEN  they started playing hard, and after an off-season to prepare, then they played the way they played this season.   But the truth of the matter is had they played that way with that much determination when Rose was healthy, he wouldn't have had to push himself beyond exhaustion and through the brinks in order for them to win games.

Same can be said of the Lakers, when Kobe went down they played with a sense of urgency, a sense of urgency that had they played with before, Kobe wouldn't have had to do all he had to do to keep us alive in games.

What Kobe needs or wants from his teammates is for them to have the same sense of urgency that he does on every night, that's nearly an unrealistic possibility, especially last year when his main backup(Meeks) was there only because he hoped Kobe would carry him to a title(thus why he had the worst year of his career).

This year is hopefully different. 

There is a difference, even the Mike Brown, Lakers team played with a sense of urgency.  When Kobe sat out for 10 games, they went 9-1 or something during that stretch.  Carried it for 3 games into the playoffs while Kobe was back... and then..back to malaise.

That can't happen.

I think that's another reason why Mitch got guys that not only want to be here but have something to prove. 

just my 2 cents. 

Agree with the rest of what you said.

#34 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 28, 2013 - 01:42 AM

His passing or turnovers have nothing to do with making or missing a shot.  Kobe's been wide open and missed a bunch or shots and turn right around and get doubled and make his next 6 or 7.  He's a streaky shooter.

Most NBA Players fall into 1 of 3 categories: poor shooters, streaky shooters or pure shooters.  The other category is spot shooter.  Those are the players like Bruce Bowen who shot poorly from everywhere on the floor except the short corner 2 and layups.

Kobe is the definitive streak shooter.

#35 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,464 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 06:07 AM

You don't blame him for not trusting his more than capable and willing teammates?  Then you wonder why people question whether or not another star would want to play with Kobe....smmfh

i don't blame him 

#36 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,717 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:06 AM

5 rings with a sort of different cast all of which, he was the top passer on the team. Not just assist guy but best offensive creator.

We can say KeBron unselfish ways is his biggest weakness. Shaq's size. Kobe's confidence.

I think GCMD hit it on the head.

I always looked at certain guys like Pierce and a prime Stephen Jax as similar players than Kobe , not as relentless but better shooters

#37 Burton619

Burton619

Rookie

• 37 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Kobe is the very definition of a streak shooter.

He's got good form and is very consistent with his footwork, balance, elevation and release.  He has nights when anything he throws up goes in, even with 2 defenders, off balance with a broken finger...and then nights when he can't throw a rock in the ocean standing on life preserver. 

If he gets hot, there's no stopping him.

If he's cold, he could miss 5 open shots in a row.

Definition of a streaky shooter.

^^^THIS^^^

#38 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,519 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 28, 2013 - 03:59 PM

he is a streaky shooter, but he's a lot of other things too

Posted Image

#39 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,124 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 29, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Streaky ? No

Stubborn to the point he dont care if he attempts the same shot 4 times in a row & misses & comes right back & takes that very same shot? Yes cuase Kobe likes to prove points during live gms to himself first, to the opponent second, & third to the media/critics/&Haters.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#40 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,717 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 29, 2013 - 12:26 PM

To GCMD's point though.

He's not pure like Klay,Ray,Steph,Steve or one of those guys like that.

He's not Wade or Westbrook , guys who aren't "shooters" but can hit shots.

I would say most players are.

Long-range I think guys like Pierce are better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users