Photo

Would you consider Kobe a "streaky shooter"?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,844 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:49 PM

I have never been a big stats guy when it comes to sports. But obviously when a guy is doing AMAZING numbers in comparison to others you have to pay attention.

Kobe is either on a HOt streak, which can last anywhere from 3 games to a month.

he can have those games where hie is aggressive enough to get points efficiently, but his shot was not "on" per se.

he has games where he is off , and can't hit a shot, unless it's difficult,but he still ends up somehow getting the job done.

He has does games where he just misses everything and is frankly horribly as a scorer, but does other things well offensively( Game 7 vs Boston) 

But would you classify Kobe as streaky.

I think on a micro level, Kobe usually has one "hot" quarter a game.

Not "white hot" , but where he is ON with his jumper and the rest or kinda up to him to play well

#2 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Anybody that wants to score is going to take a lot of shots. And if it is a guard, a majority of the shots will come from the perimeter (especially for somebody later in his career, such as Kobe). Kobe misses his fair share of shots, and sometimes it hurts the team. But what has always set Kobe apart from others is his ability to make adjustments based on what the defense is giving him. He does not back down and isn't afraid of a challenge.

#3 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,172 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:21 PM

No

#4 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,537 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:30 PM

No

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#5 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Nope

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#6 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Inconsistent at being a streaky shooter I suppose.

#7 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,443 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 27, 2013 - 12:10 AM

All players have games where they can't hit anything so i wouldn't call him streaky. 

I think Kobe's "problem" (if you can call it that) is that he is so good at hitting bad shots that he tends to take them. Kobe can get decent results our of horrible, contested long 2 pointers. This is good and bad. It's bad for his and the team's efficiency, but then again it makes it extremely difficult to guard him. 

A good comparison is D-Wade, who is really efficient, but cant really shoot. Wade is really good at passing up bad looks. 

I think that for Kobe to keep being elite he should focus on the areas where he is good, like from the post, where he is the best in the league. 

#8 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:01 AM

From what I've learned watching Kobe, I'd rather have him shoot any type of shot than any other player in the league.

Posted Image

#9 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,107 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 03:09 AM

He wouldn't have been able to hit shots like the series of shots he hit against Toronto this season had he not established himself as 'that' type of player. It comes from hours/months/years of practice. On and off the court..

#10 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,364 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 27, 2013 - 03:47 AM

I think Kobe would have been benched for some of his shooting nights if he weren't Kobe. But that's what having the Green Light is all about.  I don't believe he is a streaky shooter though. I just believe he forces a lot of shots. He always has. I can only imagine what his shooting percentage would have been like if he had the screens Reggie Miller or Richard Hamilton had. Or if he didn't have to create his own shot off the dribble so much. Or if he had a point guard like Nash (in his prime) His actual shooting ability is one of the best in history. Definitely better than MJ. His dribble dribble dribble and I'm going to shoot regardless / not trusting his teammates makes him look like a streaky shooter sometimes

Edited by lakersince75, July 27, 2013 - 03:49 AM.

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,844 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:23 AM

There are so many games where Kobe get to his spots and has good looks but can't hit them. Particularly 12-17 foot jumpers.

#12 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 748 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted July 27, 2013 - 08:33 AM

No, but you have to remember Kobe takes probably the most difficult shots in basketball, primarily long 2 point fadeaway shots. Also, he has had injuries to his shooting hand and has had to adjust and shoot differently throughout his career.

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,844 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 09:23 AM

Ummmm , I know about the tough shots. I know about his game.

There are games where he makes tough shots routine. There are also times where Kobe shoots 50% but misses 8 or 9 easy shots.

#14 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,166 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 27, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Ummmm , I know about the tough shots. I know about his game.

There are games where he makes tough shots routine. There are also times where Kobe shoots 50% but misses 8 or 9 easy shots.

That's basketball for ya.

ap1.png

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,611 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 27, 2013 - 11:35 AM

Dont think Kobe is a streaky shooter but a lot of his lower % comes from taking tough shots that sometimes just aren't needed.  Its his gift and curse.  Unfortunately with age this these tough shots havent fallen like they used to.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#16 offtheheezy

offtheheezy

Off The Bench

• 2,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fish

Posted July 27, 2013 - 11:59 AM

If he is, he goes from everybody else's normal hot streak as his normal and transcends into his own "hot" streak.

Posted Image

When he's asked why Kobe doesn't tweet, @thugraider37 said he offers this reply: "Does God tweet?"

• 40,395 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Does anyone in the league take and make more difficult & highly contested shots than Kobe?

yo.

#18 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,107 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:20 PM

^ Duhon's half court shots count?

#19 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Kobe is the very definition of a streak shooter.

He's got good form and is very consistent with his footwork, balance, elevation and release.  He has nights when anything he throws up goes in, even with 2 defenders, off balance with a broken finger...and then nights when he can't throw a rock in the ocean standing on life preserver. 

If he gets hot, there's no stopping him.

If he's cold, he could miss 5 open shots in a row.

Definition of a streaky shooter.

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,844 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:28 PM

Dont think Kobe is a streaky shooter but a lot of his lower % comes from taking tough shots that sometimes just aren't needed. Its his gift and curse. Unfortunately with age this these tough shots havent fallen like they used to.

Career 45%

Only in a lockout season in which he fractured his wrist did his % fade.

He is a streaky shooter but most players are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users