• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#81 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:02 PM

we have the mini MLE we could've used it on guys who can actually contribute like Marco Belinelli or Mike Dunleavy or Dorrell Wright or Andray Blatche (who took othe minim.), CJ Watson (minimum),

These are actually championship quality role players and are versatile. We signed dudes who put up misleading numbers and can be fun to watch from time to time.

We didnt sign the 1st list of players because it wouldn't make a difference between winning a title or not, whats the point in upgrading your role players when your core players (Pau, Kobe, Nash) are not good enough to win a championship to begin with? If they were, Lakers would've gotten the upgrades instead they went as cheap as possible

Lakers needed a C and had to use it on the best available who would take the MMLE which was Kaman.  Swingmen can be had for a lot less than bigs so spending the MMLE on any of the players you listed would not have been a good business decision.

Everything else you said does not consider the Lakers making plans for free agency next year.  You are looking at right here, right now.  That's not what this about.

And that was not a secret.

Don't know why you think they should prepare for a championship this year that clearly won't happen and throw away the plan for next year.

And finally, none of those players probably wanted to take a 1 year deal FOR THE LAKERS.  If they did, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Free agency isn't as easy as we need him, he wants this amount, done deal.  Free agents consider the coach, the rest of the team, the offense the team runs, the depth chart, the conference and if the team has a pressing need for them past this year.  If they don't like the coach, they may want more than they are worth just to join the team and if they like the coach, they may take less.  If they think the SuperStar is that good, they may take less (LBJ, Durant) or if they think the SuperStar is washed up or on the decline, they may not even bother (Kobe, KG, PP, Amare - not my opinion, based on age alone).

So it's not fair to whittle Free Agency down to money vs need.  It's never going to be that simple.

Most of the players we picked up need the shine from the Lakers to re-invent themselves and earn a big check somewhere else in the NBA next year.  They also know that the Lakers will have money next year...so this is also their audition for that.

Edited by GCMD, July 27, 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#82 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,521 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Lakers needed a C and had to use it on the best available who would take the MMLE which was Kaman.  Swingmen can be had for a lot less than bigs so spending the MMLE on any of the players you listed would not have been a good business decision.

Everything else you said does not consider the Lakers making plans for free agency next year.  You are looking at right here, right now.  That's not what this about.

And that was not a secret.

Don't know why you think they should prepare for a championship this year that clearly won't happen and throw away the plan for next year.

And finally, none of those players probably wanted to take a 1 year deal FOR THE LAKERS.  If they did, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Free agency isn't as easy as we need him, he wants this amount, done deal.  Free agents consider the coach, the rest of the team, the offense the team runs, the depth chart, the conference and if the team has a pressing need for them past this year.  If they don't like the coach, they may want more than they are worth just to join the team and if they like the coach, they may take less.  If they think the SuperStar is that good, they may take less (LBJ, Durant) or if they think the SuperStar is washed up or on the decline, they may not even bother (Kobe, KG, PP, Amare - not my opinion, based on age alone).

So it's not fair to whittle Free Agency down to money vs need.  It's never going to be that simple.

Most of the players we picked up need the shine from the Lakers to re-invent themselves and earn a big check somewhere else in the NBA next year.  They also know that the Lakers will have money next year...so this is also their audition for that.

Signing Kaman for the MLE was a great decision and we were fortunate that he took it.  Yeah he's been plagued with injuries for a few years but he has had lots of rest and may come back healthy, strong, and can contribute.  The guys MDI mentioned such as Dorrell Wright, Andray Blatche, and CJ Watson are solid but probably had no interest in joining the Lakers.  Gettin Nick Young, Wes Johnson, and Kaman is more than what I could of asked for this year especially after Dwight left.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#83 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Wolf Children

• 8,472 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'd take Kaman, Johnson, And Young over Murphy, Kapono, and McSocks.

MMiRi9s.png

#84 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 27, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Okay, but now you went from shocked to surprised just to clarify. Lessened your assurance.

Sorta...possibly less intensely shocked?  But I guess you're correct.  LOL.

His length, ability to hit perimeter shots and change ends well corrects a LOT of our problems off the bench from last year.  Harris is a rookie who won't be expected to come in and have a big impact at that 3/4 position.  Daye would (off the bench).

#85 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,374 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 27, 2013 - 04:54 PM

All I know is we have one shot left to get a difference maker. Now what may happen by the trade deadline, who knows. But I agree with the Andrey Blatch thing for the minimum but I also agree Kaman (if healthy) is going to give us 14 and 7 if he plays 30 minutes per game. Especially while Kobe is out

#86 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 820 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Nice to see Harris signed. I'm happy for him, and I hope he does well as a Laker.

#87 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,727 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:52 PM

Nice article on Harris

http://www.silverscr...gn-elias-harris

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#88 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,727 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 28, 2013 - 05:29 PM

harris was also on the german national team.  So he isn't a scrub in that regard, he however won't be representing them this year as he's devoting his full time to the Lakers.

Lakers News: Elias Harris unlikely to play for Germany at EuroBasket 2013

elias-harris-lakers.jpg

When the Los Angeles Lakers agreed to a deal with Elias Harris earlier this week, they weren’t just acquiring your regular rookie out of college: Harris also has history with the German national team.

Born in Speyer, Germany, the 24-year-old Harris first played for his national team at the EuroBasket in 2009, and then appeared again for his country at the 2010 FIBA World Championships.

However, due to his new commitment to the Lakers, Harris may not play for Germany at the EuroBasket later this year, according to NBA Germany:

With the commitment [to] the NBA, participation of the 24-year-old in the European Championship in Slovenia is unlikely. Harris already missed the start of the second EM preparation camp, [which started on] 22 July in Fulda.

Read more here: http://lakerholicz.c...eurobasket-2013

So this guy is no ordinary rookie and has international experience.  That's good to know, would also explain why his game looked a bit more "polished".  

Still has work to do though.  But it's a nice little tidbit to know.

Edited by Majesty, July 28, 2013 - 05:34 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#89 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Wolf Children

• 8,472 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Make manaro proud, Harris.

MMiRi9s.png

#90 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Make manaro proud, Harris.

Manaro must be loving it having Kaman and Harris on the team with their German connections.

#91 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Wolf Children

• 8,472 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Manaro must be loving it having Kaman and Harris on the team with their German connections.

I'm envious.

I wish I can literally bleed purple & gold.

MMiRi9s.png

#92 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,322 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted July 28, 2013 - 10:51 PM

I FEEL SO PROUD REALLY!!!

IM GOING GORRILAS THIS SEASON!! AAAAAAAAAAAA

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#93 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,652 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:05 AM

Blatche has already been signed for about 2 weeks. I dont think its a 'difference maker' is what they are looking for.  They are trying to collect young talent to showcase and possibly in the future trade for a star or guys that can be apart of the core going forward post Kobe/Pau.  I hope Wes Johnson, Hill, and Harris all get a good amount of minutes and do well. 

All I know is we have one shot left to get a difference maker. Now what may happen by the trade deadline, who knows. But I agree with the Andrey Blatch thing for the minimum but I also agree Kaman (if healthy) is going to give us 14 and 7 if he plays 30 minutes per game. Especially while Kobe is out

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#94 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:26 AM

Another DNP guy within the stupid 7-man D'Antoni's rotation. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#95 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:00 AM

Why did they take a chance on him now?

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#96 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,116 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:02 AM

There won't be a 7-man rotation this season.

#97 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,322 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:04 AM

I did this haha..

936477_568678866507468_391911769_n.jpg

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#98 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,652 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:13 AM

As if LA ever had a deep team...please stop

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#99 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,652 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Simple.  A player with a decent skill set that good become a good rotation piece or trade bait later. 

Why did they take a chance on him now?

#100 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 29, 2013 - 11:57 AM

does he look better than Sacre to you?

Simple.  A player with a decent skill set that good become a good rotation piece or trade bait later. 

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users