• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,014 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think that hitting Gasol with the amnesty clause would have been a huge blow to Kobe's faith in this team...and maybe the difference between $10 million and $15 million on his next contract, or even keeping him around. The Lakers need Gasol, at this point, even if he's going to give us 15/9 on 50% from the floor, he has to be out there.

I know some believe we're tanking, but we can't, unless Kobe is unable to suit up. He's well ahead of schedule, and because of that, we're going to have to show we're willing to win games...and of the two guys (Ron and Gasol), one is still able to contribute in more areas than the other.

I know thats literally the only reason I can see why they didn't amnesty him. I still think if anything hinders us from being contenders again its going to be the repeater tax. 

#42 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,969 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:35 PM

To me, it's pretty simple:

If Kobe plays most of the season and only drops off a little bit, the Lakers will either barely make or miss the playoffs.

If not, there is a shot at a high lottery pick.

Posted Image

#43 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm going to be real here.

I think last year injuries was the BIGGESt problem, but in my opinion, the Lakers played SOFT basketball for a great deal of last season.

Forget Dwight not setting screens, how about no one playing HARD, because they thought KObe or Dwight or Pau or someone else would pick up the slack. EWWhether they didn't like each other or they thought someone was going to do their job for them, it was [expletive]ty.

Then after a Memphis talk, I saw the way guys play change.

that being said, we Need Kobe to play good ball

If that happens, 52 wins. Quote it here.

#44 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,821 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:45 AM

I think last year injuries was the BIGGESt problem, but in my opinion, the Lakers played SOFT basketball for a great deal of last season.

Forget Dwight not setting screens, how about no one playing HARD, because they thought KObe or Dwight or Pau or someone else would pick up the slack. EWWhether they didn't like each other or they thought someone was going to do their job for them, it was [expletive]ty.

lol

#45 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 769 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'd be willing to bet you on that number. 

This roster might not even hit 42. 

#46 LakersCeb

LakersCeb

Rookie

• 94 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Real talk guys. Do you want to know why we suck last season? Free throws! We miss a lot. It also affects the momentum of the game. and im blaming howard for this. And to all those who think la will tank and stinks.well screw them.la will surprise the league.

#47 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,882 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:11 PM

If you think we lost b/c of free throws you should just stop talking bball right now.  Stop trying to secretly blame Howard and act like this team has improved b/c he left.

Real talk guys. Do you want to know why we suck last season? Free throws! We miss a lot. It also affects the momentum of the game. and im blaming howard for this. And to all those who think la will tank and stinks.well screw them.la will surprise the league.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#48 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:17 PM

If you think we lost b/c of free throws you should just stop talking bball right now.  Stop trying to secretly blame Howard and act like this team has improved b/c he left.

Stop telling p people what to do. The team will have better fortune and is much deeper. the talent has dropped somewhat but Dwight was half of himself last year, and Ron is in serious decline and Jamison is on his last legs as well, we got young guys who can potentially get better and as FANS that's what WE are banking on. God

#49 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,882 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Your name is bball IQ but you want to tell me that losing Dwight, Ron and Jamison only to pick up guys that arent as good as them that are younger is somehow a plus?  Wes Johnson is the only x factor Im looking forward to. 

Stop telling p people what to do. The team will have better fortune and is much deeper. the talent has dropped somewhat but Dwight was half of himself last year, and Ron is in serious decline and Jamison is on his last legs as well, we got young guys who can potentially get better and as FANS that's what WE are banking on. God

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#50 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,262 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:59 AM

We don't have expectations this season. That makes it easier to win games and make the playoffs, which we will. Just amazing to me how a lot of people STILL don't understand this. Winning basketball games isn't just about talent on your roster or stats. A lot of it has to do with whether or not your team is under the radar or not. Teams will overlook us this season I guarantee it. 

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#51 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 529 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Kup

Posted July 27, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Losing dwight was a good thing over the long haul. sure it will cost them now as he was the last line of defense on a poor perimeter defending team and getting nothing for him wasnt optimal but he is absolutely not the franchise player some here would like to believe.

Thats not even the problem, the problem is he thinks he is a franchise player and doest seem to understand his own limitations or that the world doesnt revolve around him. One can blame the media all they want but after this much bs,its abundantly clear that homeboy is not right in the head --and not in a fun mwp way but in a destructive and cancerous way.

yes he is an elite defender and paint force on that end but he still hasnt learned to stop committing stupid fouls. he should have been on the bench in foul trouble on account of the lakers poor perimeter defense, not his perrennial inability to learn that you cant manhandle people. Combined with the fact that he cant make free throws and you often have a very expensive paperweight in the 4th quarter.

He says one thing and does another in more ways than i even need to mention. What peaves me though is the talk of how he wants to learn from the best but has never grasped what that means. He never even contacted kaj after their initial meeting, never seemed to learn anything from his sessions with hakeem, couldnt take kobe being around longer, and has to do things his way. All of which speaks volumes of his desire for growth as a player and hunger to win.

Team offices are smart enough to know his downfalls but they were willing to take a gamble on this guy coming to terms with who he is as a player. maybe he will finally stfu now that his leverage is gone and the rockets own him but im doubtful. This would be all well and good if he was 22 but thats not the case, he may yet mature but he isnt getting much better if at all.

Im happy the lakers arent tied to this guy for 5 years as he will likely be useless when his athleticism fails.

As far as where they are this season, im very content with they players they have signed. They got some youth and athleticism for the first time in a while and should at least be fun to watch. They have kept cap room and got young players willing to come to la for vets min 1 year deals, not too shabby.

Sure, they are not likely to contend for much but they could easily overachieve and be a fun squad to watch.

Its a stretch to imagine dantoni guiding them to a ring no matter who they have(aside from a dream team) and they certainly werent going to win it with dwight.

Even if unfortune strikes them again and they have a plague of injuries(Kobe would have to miss much of the season obviously) they could be in the running for some nice dp's.

The lakers are an all or nothing team in the sense that you win it all or win nothing. They wont be winning it all but winning nothing(if done well)could be one hell of a consolation prize for the next draft. Unfortunately that is pretty damn unlikely with the [expletive] fest lottery race that is going to occur but its still a potential plus. Im not a believer in the lakers tanking as its not something they do, as is failing to make the playoffs but damn if it were to happen naturally, this would be the year lol.

I would pay thousands to see stern's face as he watched wiggins put on a laker hat. one can dream lol.

Edited by SweatShop, July 27, 2013 - 03:03 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#52 LakersCeb

LakersCeb

Rookie

• 94 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 09:44 AM

If you think we lost b/c of free throws you should just stop talking bball right now. Stop trying to secretly blame Howard and act like this team has improved b/c he left.

Well I never said we improved when he left. Im just stating one area which we now take advantage of. you probably have amnesia, remember when other teams started a hack a howard. Think again

#53 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,882 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Im aware of hack a Howard.  Im also aware that there were many things in those games we didnt do that lost them, specifically the game against Houston where they came back to beat us.  Hack a Howard didnt lose that game. Poor offense and laziness did. 

Well I never said we improved when he left. Im just stating one area which we now take advantage of. you probably have amnesia, remember when other teams started a hack a howard. Think again

#54 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts
  • Name:Quinton

Posted August 02, 2013 - 07:47 AM

They are extremely stupid in ever wanting Steve Nash! He has always been garbage and the NBA changed its rules just so he could be relevant.. He wasnt the best player in the league when he won the two MVPs and the lakers are stupid for ever wanting him. Until people realize where the problem started, they will never get better. Even Phil said himself that "the first problem is the Lakers need a point guard."Has always needed a point guard since Fisher started aging. Cant compete with the elite until it happens! Lebron really is just a big point guard..

#55 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,882 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 08:05 AM

This whole statement just oozes of im 15 yrs old and probably know nothing about bball.  If you think Nash was garbage.....man nevermind

They are extremely stupid in ever wanting Steve Nash! He has always been garbage and the NBA changed its rules just so he could be relevant.. He wasnt the best player in the league when he won the two MVPs and the lakers are stupid for ever wanting him. Until people realize where the problem started, they will never get better. Even Phil said himself that "the first problem is the Lakers need a point guard."Has always needed a point guard since Fisher started aging. Cant compete with the elite until it happens! Lebron really is just a big point guard..

#56 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,821 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:20 AM

This whole statement just oozes of im 15 yrs old and probably know nothing about bball.  If you think Nash was garbage.....man nevermind

bro....you said LeBron has a better jumper than Kobe. You are the one that knows nothing.

#57 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:28 AM

I think we'll have more togetherness this year, the chemistry will be better, the offense will be more fluid, there will be less griping, its gonna be a fun year....I dont know how much of that is going to translate into winning games though. Ive been saying this all year we're not a playoff team especially with Kobe coming off injurying in December mainly because we have no notable defensive players and the rest of the league has gotten really better...Young, Farmar, Kaman have had good names in LA thats why people are excited but they fail to realize these guys aren't match winners

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#58 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,882 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 09:56 AM

I stated facts to back that up as well.  Leave that debate alone unless you have something to refute my statements.  Grow up.

bro....you said LeBron has a better jumper than Kobe. You are the one that knows nothing.

#59 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,821 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 11:46 AM

I stated facts to back that up as well.  Leave that debate alone unless you have something to refute my statements.  Grow up.

You used statistics without context.  You can't say LeBron is a better jump shooter with just numbers because Kobe is defended much differently than LeBron. Teams do not give Kobe breathing space in the mid range like they do LeBron. 

Theres some clips in game 1 of the finals of LeBron

they were giving him plenty of space.....give Kobe that much space 50+ points easily.

Now heres kobe defended

His jumpers are defended consistently by 2 or 3 players....why? Because Kobes jumper is much deadlier than LeBrons.

Its common sense that Kobe is a better jump shooter. You're the only one that I've heard say LeBron is a better jump shooter....its idiotic. Its like saying D-league players are better than Nba players. Its just simply not true at all.

#60 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,539 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 02, 2013 - 01:50 PM

Doesn't mean she's wrong about Steve Nash.  He was anything BUT Garbage especially in the second half of the season where he played injured mind you.

Once Nash adjusted to his off-ball role he averaged 17+/5+ in 15 of our last 20 games that he played.

That's injured!  What other point guard has given us that while on one leg and still shooting over 50% from the field?

I've always liked Steve Blake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users