yo.

#22 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,110 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Not sure why half of our fan base is offended when someone says we are going to suck this year.  Even worse is when some guys try to explain away how somehow the team will be better.  Reality has not set in yet for some I guess.  It's one thing to root for the team but its another to realistic in expectations.  Saying a team that pretty much brand new all over again is going to win 50 games with the players they just picked up to replace the leaving talent is beyond delusional.

This team has gotten so much worse on defense roster wise I'm not sure how they will be any higher than bottom 5 in the NBA.  I look at this year as a try out to for 2014.  I hope guys like Young and Johnson do well and stick around.  All the Kobe will be playing opening night doesnt mean anything if he's going to be a shell of himself.  I'm not sure why it has to be repeated this often but Kobe left on a ruptured Achilles.  This wasnt a bad shoulder or broken foot.  He ruptured a part of his body that can bring real life on going issues for some.  Kobe has never had an injury of this magnitude.  So all the Kobe is a superhuman talk is rooted in fantasy.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#23 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,296 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:48 PM

I don't get offended, what I find laughable is how some of these writers say one thing then totally come out saying things like, "The Mavs will be a strong contender for 40-plus wins and one of the Western Conference's final playoff spots", which completely destroy credibility.

Last year everyone thought the finals was a lock for the Lakers, what happened?  Pundits will be pundits.  But to take any of them as some kind of gospel is lunacy.  if they were as good at predicting the outcome of NBA (and sports) seasons as some would like to think they are (including themselves), they'd be making a ton of money off of games.  As it stands, they remain nothing but crapshooters, hoping they get it right - at some point.

Time will tell, not writers, not predictions.

#24 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 886 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:53 PM

One question to all: In the summer of 2012, would you have thought the Lakers would win 50 games if we traded Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace for Chris Kaman, Wesely Jonhson, Nick Young, Jordan Famar and Steve Nash? That's what we have done really.

#25 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,296 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Yep.

If you got a week old tuna fish sandwich for Bynum in the summer of 2012, the Lakers would have been better off.  I love Metta, love his heart and what he did for the Lakers, dude's a true Laker (who would've ever thought that would be said anywhere), but his skills took a huge, quick dip and at many points he was more of a hindrance than a help.

#26 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,518 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Every year, this happens. Always injuries. We would have beaten the Thunder if Kobe wasn't injured going in. We would have toppled the Mavericks if Gasol's hammy was okay. We would have beaten Boston in 2008 if we had Drew and Ariza. We would have won last year if our entire team wasn't hurt. We would have won in 2004 if Malone wasn't hurt, in 2003 if Shaq didn't get injured and lost us HCA over San Antonio, in 1989 if Magic and Scott didn't suffer injuries...etc.

Dammit! Why'd I have to read this? Just opened old wounds....  :eh:

All true but every teams gets injuries. 

2hf753r.jpg

#27 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 24, 2013 - 02:12 PM

We got screwed as much as any other organization. The thing is we come back stronger and hit back harder

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#28 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,553 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 24, 2013 - 02:20 PM

I remember when Lakers fans were throwing foam fingers out on the court, booing the team, getting carried away because their ridiculous expectations weren't matched...one of the worst things I've seen an NBA team's fanbase do. Now do we realize why Dwight says what he does, or...?

Funny thing is we won the championship that year.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#29 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 24, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Funny thing is we won the championship that year.

Right, but the foam fingers were thrown because we were losing by 20 to the Cavaliers, on Christmas. We were 23-4 going into the game. The fans just expected us to blow out Cleveland...wasn't about our play in November and December.

Cleveland came in at 22-8, winning 7 of their last 8 games...and our fans simply looked at that and figured they were no match for us, because we were the defending champs, and LeBron was most definitely going to get locked up by Ron Artest.

Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and Odom were all playing poorly, and fans didn't like it. That's just over the expectations of ONE GAME.

I just don't like setting the bar high enough to where I know it's not going to be cleared. I don't like setting myself up for disappointment. If this team is a 60-win team, I'll admit it. If we can contend, okay. If it's pretty evident that we aren't building to contend in 2013-14, then I'm going to point it out and set the bar far, far lower.

We don't have to be a lottery team. However...

Spurs
Thunder
Clippers
Warriors
Rockets
Grizzlies

There are six teams better than we are...and that's even assuming Kobe is going to give us at least 34 MPG, around 25 PPG, maybe 44% FG.

Mavericks
Nuggets

Those two, especially Dallas, have the potential to sneak into a seed higher than us. Dirk, Monta, Carter, Marion, and Calderon supply them with a lot of firepower, with little defense (hey, just like us). Denver lost Iggy, but they will still fight for seeding.

We're going to need last year's Kobe to make noise, and I just don't think that we'll get him. He'll still be a damn good player, but last season was arguably one of the best of his career.

#30 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,834 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 24, 2013 - 03:54 PM

One question to all: In the summer of 2012, would you have thought the Lakers would win 50 games if we traded Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace for Chris Kaman, Wesely Jonhson, Nick Young, Jordan Famar and Steve Nash? That's what we have done really.

when you put it that way, It doesn't seem so bad...

I mean... lakers lose lots of defense...

but Kaman is a serviable center...

Farmar... nick young... AND steve NASH!!!! that's nice!!!

expect the lakers gave up 2 first round picks

#31 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,542 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:06 PM

when you put it that way, It doesn't seem so bad...

I mean... lakers lose lots of defense...

but Kaman is a serviable center...

Farmar... nick young... AND steve NASH!!!! that's nice!!!

expect the lakers gave up 2 first round picks

yea......not really

#32 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Right, but the foam fingers were thrown because we were losing by 20 to the Cavaliers, on Christmas. We were 23-4 going into the game. The fans just expected us to blow out Cleveland...wasn't about our play in November and December.

Cleveland came in at 22-8, winning 7 of their last 8 games...and our fans simply looked at that and figured they were no match for us, because we were the defending champs, and LeBron was most definitely going to get locked up by Ron Artest.

Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and Odom were all playing poorly, and fans didn't like it. That's just over the expectations of ONE GAME.

I just don't like setting the bar high enough to where I know it's not going to be cleared. I don't like setting myself up for disappointment. If this team is a 60-win team, I'll admit it. If we can contend, okay. If it's pretty evident that we aren't building to contend in 2013-14, then I'm going to point it out and set the bar far, far lower.

We don't have to be a lottery team. However...

Spurs
Thunder
Clippers
Warriors
Rockets
Grizzlies

There are six teams better than we are...and that's even assuming Kobe is going to give us at least 34 MPG, around 25 PPG, maybe 44% FG.

Mavericks
Nuggets

Those two, especially Dallas, have the potential to sneak into a seed higher than us. Dirk, Monta, Carter, Marion, and Calderon supply them with a lot of firepower, with little defense (hey, just like us). Denver lost Iggy, but they will still fight for seeding.

We're going to need last year's Kobe to make noise, and I just don't think that we'll get him. He'll still be a damn good player, but last season was arguably one of the best of his career.

I think a lot of our success has to do with whether or not our low risk high reward signings live up to their high reward aspects of it. 

If they do we can make some noise, not an explosion but a dent.  We're a middle of the pack team as we stand right now with still 1 or 2 more signings to make.   So I do want to see what those will be,

Because currently when you're looking at the team you have Ryan Kelly as our back up power forward in your mind right?

If Wesley and Young have breakout years and Kobe is able to return healthy I think we'll be fine for the most part to what we should expect.

Thing is there is a lot of factors, a LOT of factors that would have to occur. But then again those teams like the Mavericks and the Nuggets have a lot of factors too.

Our factors to being a team that makes it to the middle of the pack are as follows.

Kobe, Nash, Gasol remaining healthy and playing at a high level.
Nick Young and Wesley Johnson having breakout years.
Blake and Jordan Hill remaining consistent
Farmar being good enough to take some minutes from Nash and Blake so that both can have their respective rests.
Meeks not having a terrible season again.
D'antoni having a working offense
Rambis signing the sooner the better

That's a LOT of factors, not out of the realm of possibility but each need to be reached realistically if we're going to be a middle of the pack team.

It won't be easy.  But.... it's possible.

No I'm not posting the Cinderella video.....not this time.....and I'm gonna send this post before I change my mind X_X

#33 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,834 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:16 PM

No I'm not posting the Cinderella video.....not this time.....and I'm gonna send this post before I change my mind X_X

im still not ready for Disney star wars...

#34 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:31 PM

im still not ready for Disney star wars...

mickey_r2.pngmickeywars.jpg

• 40,431 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm as guilty as anyone of going off-topic often, but c'mon guys, at the least could you not post that in the Star Wars thread or something instead? Lol.

yo.

#36 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,750 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:45 PM

TWC may start advertising our games as comedy hour this season.

Nash running and periodically holding his back, Pau making crucified faces at the refs, Nick Y jacking up shots from everywhere, Blake turning the ball over before reaching the other half, D Antoni running his offense which leads to Jordan Hill shooting 3 pointers ... the ingredients are all there.

#37 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,542 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:51 PM

I don't think we will make the playoffs. And if we do, we will make it as the 8th seed and get our asses handed to us.

Only thing I'm hoping for is either Young or Johnson show they are valuable enough to keep.

#38 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:15 PM

I see this team finishing towards the bottom half and it is going to suck. 

Being in the middle is the worst [expletive]ing place. 

#39 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,237 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:46 PM

The second dwight left we were a 10th seed team at best. No player out there ca change this. Been preaching this for a while. This season is about hoping for one of the young guys to end up being better than expected and for us to have low payroll(which I still think could have done better by amnestying pau instead of MWP to get us out of the tax). 

Best we can hope for this season is individual performances. 

#40 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:59 PM

The second dwight left we were a 10th seed team at best. No player out there ca change this. Been preaching this for a while. This season is about hoping for one of the young guys to end up being better than expected and for us to have low payroll(which I still think could have done better by amnestying pau instead of MWP to get us out of the tax). 

Best we can hope for this season is individual performances.

I think that hitting Gasol with the amnesty clause would have been a huge blow to Kobe's faith in this team...and maybe the difference between $10 million and $15 million on his next contract, or even keeping him around. The Lakers need Gasol, at this point, even if he's going to give us 15/9 on 50% from the floor, he has to be out there.

I know some believe we're tanking, but we can't, unless Kobe is unable to suit up. He's well ahead of schedule, and because of that, we're going to have to show we're willing to win games...and of the two guys (Ron and Gasol), one is still able to contribute in more areas than the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users