UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Los Angeles Lakers

Oh boy, was there a lot of Lakers schadenfreude among rival execs in Las Vegas — and a lot of confusion about why the Lakers are bothering with Chris Kaman/Nick Young types instead of going into full-blown tank mode.

I keep hearing from L.A. fans assuring me this is a playoff team. Really? Take a look at the Western Conference: The Clippers, Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Rockets, and Warriors are locks, barring catastrophic injuries. That's six spots. Denver still lurks, Portland fattened up its bench, Minnesota and New Orleans are both going for it, and Dallas has shown it's hard to win fewer than 40 games with a healthy Dirk Nowitzki and even a so-so supporting cast.

News flash, Lakers fans: Kobe is coming off one of the worst late-career injuries a player can suffer, and this defense was a giant sieve anytime Howard hit the bench last season. This looks like a lottery team banking on free agency for salvation, only it's not quite bad enough to get true lottery value.

http://www.grantland...rything-between

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,366 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Like I've said in other threads, let's just wait and see how the season plays out.  Last season many thought we would be a top 3 team in the entire league but [expletive] happens. 

#3 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:44 AM

He's stupid. The Lakers have 3 all star's all the times outside of the top six have 1 or less. Minnesota, really? Kevin Martin sucks. Portlant won't go anywhere, they'll get injured again. 

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Familiar names get fans excited...that's all there is to it. A lot of people are blind to the impact Dwight had on this team, just because we didn't win 60 games and advance past the first round...and it didn't help that he left. Hate really does injure one's intelligence.

Howard didn't need to average 25 a night to suck in major defensive attention, assisting others in getting open shots. Some don't quite grasp how the game works, though, and they stick with the easily-explained conclusion that Howard isn't a superstar, which is laughable.

We'll see.

#5 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,124 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Its all about injury bug. If it doesnt bite the Lakers in azz again it will haunt another team out West! I still think they will win about the same amount of games as last season

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#6 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:10 AM

I still think they will win about the same amount of games as last season

Which may be the problem. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#7 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 295 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think the Lakers are a vastly worse team for 2013-14 than for 2012-13

They lose Kobe for half the season, Howard and Ron Artest. 

They get Chris Kaman and Jordan Farmar.

This is a step or two backwards, anyway you figure it. 

#8 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:34 AM

No disrespect but I think this is just another thread meant to ignite a tank-don't tank debate.

#9 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:35 AM

No disrespect but I think this is just another thread meant to ignite a tank-don't tank debate.

No disrespect, but I just linked an article that was published in the last 2 days.

Feel free to merge. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#10 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:42 AM

I think the Lakers are a vastly worse team for 2013-14 than for 2012-13

They lose Kobe for half the season, Howard and Ron Artest. 

They get Chris Kaman and Jordan Farmar.

This is a step or two backwards, anyway you figure it. 

I don't think so.

+Chris Kaman

+Nick Young

+Wes Johnson

+Jordan Farmar

+Healthier Nash

+Pau at center on offense

+No MWP chucking 11 shots a game

+Full training camp with D'Antoni and HIS staff

+Healthier Pau

+Healthier Hill

+Better team chemistry

-No Howard

-Injured Kobe

-No interior D

-MDA

Even though those negatives are big ones, I still think our positives will equate to a season similar to last years. Make the playoffs, maybe drag 1st round out to 6, 7 games and lose. 

#11 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:43 AM

No disrespect, but I just linked an article that was published in the last 2 days.

Feel free to merge. 

Linking an article comes with an agenda.

Which may be the problem. 

Elaborate

#12 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,101 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Last year was an anomaly. Freaking retards I swear. First they compare this team to last year's and say we will perform worse because Howard left. With all those injuries we won 45 games. Without them we could have still met the expectations, just not the wild ones like Metta's.

Losing Howard obviously impacts us around 10-15 wins. But our team is more stable now due to increase in perimeter guys and the job descriptions being definite.

There is no more pecking order.

I say we still win 50+ games easily.

Coaching staff will be more comfortable knowing that guys will play to their strengths willingly.

If anyone wants to bet his account, I'm all ears.

#13 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Linking an article comes with an agenda.

Elaborate

Who cares? 

Feel free to merge

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#14 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,752 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:25 AM

I don't think this team is better than last year.  They won't be as horrid as some think, but they aren't going to set the world on fire.  MDA is still the coach, and a training camp isn't going to polish that turd.  All these dudes are playing on one year deals, so maybe that will do something.  I remain skeptical of the Lakers winning much next season.

#15 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,988 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:36 AM

It is hard to compare anything, good or bad that was the previous season. It felt like Murphy's Law anyway you split it. Which is why this team is still probably going to be near .500 if not, and have a legit shot at 7-8 seed. That's why most fans think this team is as or almost as good as the previous team with Howard, because the end results will be around the same, but with much less grief.

Personally I do think 50 games is pushing the optimism, I'd love to be proved wrong of course. But if that were to happen, MDA would be COY, and fired the next as is the pattern lol.

As well I can't see the threats of Minny, Portland, and NOLA when they are constatnly injury bugged.

Edited by Ven, July 24, 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#16 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,271 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted July 24, 2013 - 11:40 AM

They lose Kobe for half the season

What? No.
EAT
SLEEP
CONQUER
REPEAT

#17 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:03 PM

What? No.

Agreed. KOBE WILL PLAY ON OPEINING NIGHT. He is well ahead of schedule. What don't ppl get about that?

#18 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:42 PM

LOL, we were 25-29 before Kobe had one of the greatest second halves of a season he has had in his career (29/6/7 on 46% FG, 39 MPG, 10 FTA/G). Our starting five went 0-7 together, and even if they had played a full 82 games, it would have been a losing record if it wasn't for Kobe's incredible display that may have ruined the rest of his career.

Every year, this happens. Always injuries. We would have beaten the Thunder if Kobe wasn't injured going in. We would have toppled the Mavericks if Gasol's hammy was okay. We would have beaten Boston in 2008 if we had Drew and Ariza. We would have won last year if our entire team wasn't hurt. We would have won in 2004 if Malone wasn't hurt, in 2003 if Shaq didn't get injured and lost us HCA over San Antonio, in 1989 if Magic and Scott didn't suffer injuries...etc.

Injuries play a small part most of the time, but we aren't good enough. We don't have the players, we don't have the coach, we don't have a prime Kobe to carry us. The Mavericks (2011), Thunder (2012) and the Spurs (2013) were going to beat our asses anyway, didn't matter who we put out on the floor and how healthy they were, because we went into one series thinking Dallas wouldn't destroy us from beyond the arc, went into another against two players that we could not defend and a coach that ran an offense through the wrong player, and into a third with a horrible coach and misused players.

It's clear as day what we are doing this season. We are saving money. We are looking to ride the wave into the 2014 free agency period. We are hoping that one of these players we acquired for cheap will pan out and be a nice roster addition in 2014-15. That's it. The overly-optimistic can believe what they want. The front office knows Kobe will be happy with the decision, especially since it meant us keeping Gasol and bringing in new talent and an old friend, but...ugh, it's just...every season.

I remember when Lakers fans were throwing foam fingers out on the court, booing the team, getting carried away because their ridiculous expectations weren't matched...one of the worst things I've seen an NBA team's fanbase do. Now do we realize why Dwight says what he does, or...?

#19 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,073 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:46 PM

If Lakers plays well  MDA will not get fired and even get an extension.  If Lakers plays poorly, MDA will get fired. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#20 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,272 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:50 PM

LOL, we were 25-29 before Kobe had one of the greatest second halves of a season he has had in his career (29/6/7 on 46% FG, 39 MPG, 10 FTA/G). Our starting five went 0-7 together, and even if they had played a full 82 games, it would have been a losing record if it wasn't for Kobe's incredible display that may have ruined the rest of his career.

Every year, this happens. Always injuries. We would have beaten the Thunder if Kobe wasn't injured going in. We would have toppled the Mavericks if Gasol's hammy was okay. We would have beaten Boston in 2008 if we had Drew and Ariza. We would have won last year if our entire team wasn't hurt. We would have won in 2004 if Malone wasn't hurt, in 2003 if Shaq didn't get injured and lost us HCA over San Antonio, in 1989 if Magic and Scott didn't suffer injuries...etc.

Injuries play a small part most of the time, but we aren't good enough. We don't have the players, we don't have the coach, we don't have a prime Kobe to carry us. The Mavericks (2011), Thunder (2012) and the Spurs (2013) were going to beat our asses anyway, didn't matter who we put out on the floor and how healthy they were, because we went into one series thinking Dallas wouldn't destroy us from beyond the arc, went into another against two players that we could not defend and a coach that ran an offense through the wrong player, and into a third with a horrible coach and misused players.

It's clear as day what we are doing this season. We are saving money. We are looking to ride the wave into the 2014 free agency period. We are hoping that one of these players we acquired for cheap will pan out and be a nice roster addition in 2014-15. That's it. The overly-optimistic can believe what they want. The front office knows Kobe will be happy with the decision, especially since it meant us keeping Gasol and bringing in new talent and an old friend, but...ugh, it's just...every season.

I remember when Lakers fans were throwing foam fingers out on the court, booing the team, getting carried away because their ridiculous expectations weren't matched...one of the worst things I've seen an NBA team's fanbase do. Now do we realize why Dwight says what he does, or...?

3ea24fc3f2a6f2995fb1eafe225bac08.gif

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users