Photo

Bulls waive Malcolm Thomas, should Lakers finally get him?; Update: 36/18 in D-league Debut

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,749 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:19 AM

This guy I've kept my eye on for a while.

This guy constantly finds himself back on our D-Fenders team every year no matter what NBA team calls him up he always winds up back in LA.

24 Year old Power Forward Malcolm Thomas was waived by the Bulls today for financial reasons

220px-Malcolm_Thomas_dunking_cropped.jpg

With as much as the Lakers always keep him close to the organization(he was even in our training camp 2 seasons ago)  it wouldn't surprise me if we sign him for that open power forward spot if New York is getting Tyrus Thomas and Odom is still being indecisive.

If ya'll watched him this year in the summer league you'll see what he is, he's a beast rebounder.

He lead summer league in rebounding and was probably the best defensive rebounder there.

he averaged 15 Rebounds per game and 10 points.

His stats for all 3 games were

11/10(7 defensive)
13/22(12 defensive)(set a summer league record)

9/13(9 defensive)

he also averaged nearly 2 blocks a game and is a good help side defender, as well as a leaper.

Wouldn't shock me if the Lakers give him a shot as their backup power forward, he's basically a younger higher jumping version of Jordan Hill and he's also a very good roll man to the basket off screens.

He's also a really humble kid without a big ego, cares about his teammates and focuses on defense which his mom instilled in him.  Yeah.. I'm serious lol  she's his inspiration for playing defense =P

Enjoy

Edited by Majesty, November 24, 2013 - 03:20 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,325 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:20 AM

I'd rather have Marcus Landry or Elias Harris

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:25 AM

I'd rather have Marcus Landry or Elias Harris

As power forward though?   He can be an inside presence and is a very good defensive rebound and hustle and energy guy who DOES play defense and he's 24.   He set the summer league record for rebounds in a game while leading in rebounding. 

I think we should give him a strong look honestly.

Edited by Majesty, July 24, 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#4 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,343 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:31 AM

Yes yes and yes

I was bummed he went to the bulls

Lakers should bring him to camp

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:39 AM

Highlight of him overseas with some nice under the basket dunks and some nice pick and roll clips and finishes shown along with some great blocks.

he fits the youth, athleticism, speed, defense, hustle rebound thing we seem to be going for this year.

Already being well versed in pick and roll offense from playing overseas is a bonus since that's right up our coach's alley.  He's a perfect pick and roll finisher for the 4 position and he has a great instinct for defensive rebounds.   I think he'd fit in very well here. 

But honestly I've always wanted to see this kid as a Laker.  Was stocked when he made camp with us 2 years ago, was bummed he didn't make it, but watched him in the D-league and overseas, I was upset when he went to the Bulls cause I wanted him here but I was stocked cause I felt Chicago was a great place for him.   When he was on the summer league team and he pulled that 22 rebound game I felt "dah.. Thibs ain't gonna let this guy go now .. DARN IT!" lol

Then I heard Bulls may waive him for financial reasons despite liking him.

And now it's official.

We should JUMP on this right now imo.

Edited by Majesty, July 24, 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#6 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:26 AM

No thanks

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:29 AM

No thanks

Any reasons in particular?

#8 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:34 AM

how tall?

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#9 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,343 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:47 AM

I watched him in summer league, he just homed onto the ball... like the ball was magnetic to him...

the guy has one surefire NBA level skill
rebounding...

How much do you trust ryan Kelly? Malcom Thomas is the oppisete of Kelly... Thomas can rebound... that's a valuable skill.

Lakers need a PF, if not a vet, bring this young player into camp... serious skill... Rebounding... he can rebound... some players just have a talent for it, and some, are 7 foot stiffs...

6'9

been with the LA defenders 3 times...
I will be LIVID if the warriors end up with him

Edited by TKainZero, July 24, 2013 - 05:48 AM.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:50 AM

I watched him in summer league, he just homed onto the ball... like the ball was magnetic to him...

the guy has one surefire NBA level skill
rebounding...

How much do you trust ryan Kelly? Malcom Thomas is the oppisete of Kelly... Thomas can rebound... that's a valuable skill.

Lakers need a PF, if not a vet, bring this young player into camp... serious skill... Rebounding... he can rebound... some players just have a talent for it, and some, are 7 foot stiffs...

6'9

been with the LA defenders 3 times...
I will be LIVID if the warriors end up with him

Not just rebounding he also has an eye for the ball when it comes to blocking shots and he has very good "hands" especially when coming off pick and rolls so he would mesh with Blake, Nash, or Farmar very well as he's a very skilled roll man.  And the way he posterizes people that jump against him is always a bonus :laughing:

But if we're looking for youth, defense, rebounding and athleticism, this guy would be the perfect to get if we can't set our sights on Thomas or Lamar.  

Low risk high reward but I think we wouldn't have to worry about him NOT rebounding the ball or trying to play defense.  

Gives us another paint defender so that Kaman and Gasol aren't all that's depended on.

Gives us a strong 4 defender in both Hill and himself who are both hustle guys that can net you extra possessions.   He also DOES have a jump shot inside of 10 feet and is working on furthering it.

But his main credentials you get him for is defense, blocks, rebounding and being a competent roll man.

And at 24 with the potential he has it should be a no brainer.

Edited by Majesty, July 24, 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#11 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,343 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Not just rebounding he also has an eye for the ball when it comes to blocking shots and he has very good "hands" especially when coming off pick and rolls so he would mesh with Blake, Nash, or Farmar very well as he's a very skilled roll man.  And the way he posterizes people that jump against him is always a bonus :laughing:

all those skills have potential...

He is a NBA ready rebounder. the guy should be on an nba roster for his rebounding ALONE... everything else is just gravy... remember the last young player in the post the lakers had that had athletic potential?

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:58 AM

all those skills have potential...

He is a NBA ready rebounder. the guy should be on an nba roster for his rebounding ALONE... everything else is just gravy... remember the last young player in the post the lakers had that had athletic potential?

Yeah.

So I think the most important thing for him is, especially in the absense of Kelly who I don't think will get "big" minutes and could be out till around Christmas.  We'd have a guy like Jordan Hill coming off the bench for Jordan Hill so it doesn't screw with chemistry or what we're trying to do. 

One thing D'antoni does like is undersized 4s or 5s that can roll to the basket and given Kaman's capability to hit from mid range, if Blake wanted to run a pick and roll set with Thomas, then Kaman wouldn't need to clog the lane as he can score from inside or outside.

So when we want to look for pieces that fit, Thomas seems a no brainer.

And yes I thoroughly agree with you on the rebounding.

#13 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,343 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:03 AM

So when we want to look for pieces that fit, Thomas seems a no brainer.

potential crazy young potential lineup of...

Farmar

Young

CDR

M.Thomas

Hill

Now... its not THAT young, but its really young by laker standards...

everyone has been wanting the lakers to sign a vet PF, like Gooden, Brand, Martin, ect, but why not someone like this? Who can be the next reggie evans? Execpt with more potential...

Lakers know this guy, and I think this guy has to have some feelings for the lakers, to come back to the Defenders for 3 runs...

I think he deserves a camp invite, and if he gets mins in preseason, he will earn his spot...

Kaman and Gasol are both alright Rebounds... but both are REALLY out of place in the new athletic NBA... Thomas/Hill will match up better with the athletic frountcourt players...

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:07 AM

potential crazy young potential lineup of...

Farmar

Young

CDR

M.Thomas

Hill

Now... its not THAT young, but its really young by laker standards...

everyone has been wanting the lakers to sign a vet PF, like Gooden, Brand, Martin, ect, but why not someone like this? Who can be the next reggie evans? Execpt with more potential...

Lakers know this guy, and I think this guy has to have some feelings for the lakers, to come back to the Defenders for 3 runs...

I think he deserves a camp invite, and if he gets mins in preseason, he will earn his spot...

Kaman and Gasol are both alright Rebounds... but both are REALLY out of place in the new athletic NBA... Thomas/Hill will match up better with the athletic frountcourt players...

Yeah, Hill beside Gasol and Thomas beside Kaman for rebounds could REALLY help in that aspect.  Having a pair of glass eaters next to either Kaman or Gasol with either lineup is an extreme benefit we should be looking to take right now before some other team scoops him up.

#15 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,343 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:14 AM

we should be looking to take right now before some other team scoops him up.

do the lakers have any rights to him?

being on the defenders for so long?

I mean... I know the bulls are a class A organization, and marcus camby is a legend... but... I think they made a mistake here...

they can have goudelock, we get Thomas... maybe it was an unspoken agreement

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:19 AM

do the lakers have any rights to him?

being on the defenders for so long?

I mean... I know the bulls are a class A organization, and marcus camby is a legend... but... I think they made a mistake here...

they can have goudelock, we get Thomas... maybe it was an unspoken agreement

Would be nice. I'm almost 100% sure Goudelock makes that team, and they really did make a mistake of not getting Thomas, unless they are sure they are getting Aldridge and know he wouldn't get playing time.  

But after being on the D-Fenders 3 times, I would figure the Lakers always keep tabs on this guy.  This may be the year to call him up.

#17 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,555 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:22 AM

I kinda can't believe I'm saying this because I'm usually such a downer when it comes to summer league/D-league/overseas players, but...

I'd actually like for the Lakers to give this guy a chance. He seems like he might be one of those guys who just has a knack for being in the right place at the right time on the floor. The ball just seems to always find him. Why not give him a chance? Young, athletic, rebounding, defense. Check please.

#18 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 178 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Worthy

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:38 AM

We should get him. I've seen him play live many times at SDSU and he's a really dedicated player who gets after it. I think he's worth bringing on.

#19 Jee

Jee

♚ ROOKIE ©

• 579 posts
  • Name:Jee
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:ANY WHO PLAYS HERE

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:49 AM

I'd pick him up, he has that same hustle and hard work that his San Diego Aztec teammate Kawhi Leonard has. Good defender and game is similar to Jordan Hill and Taj Gibson. For only a year to showcase his worth would not hurt us. I want to see him give blocks like these.

#20 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:53 AM

Athletic young guy that can rebound? Sounds like a pretty good pick up. Cant have enough energy guys on a team that will give 100% every night.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users