70 replies to this topic

#21 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 21, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Pay did the Leon's share of work in the middle both times.

Go back and watch the games again.

Duh

The point was Bynum was a part of those runs and if Jim has been making BIg decisions like who to draft since 2005, then OBVIOUSLY he can't be dismissed for his contributions to the title.

As far as 2010, Kobe was better than LeBron who was choking in the playoffs still.

#22 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 01:49 PM

If you make the right decisions, you can prepare a team that can contend..

That wasnt the case since 2011..

Name a team that has won titles, and "competed" after their run was over.

the Spurs won in2007, and since then have legitimately competed ONCE, they have failed miserably since then.

Boston got a title, then exited in the second round, then lost to us, and haven't ben a true threat since.

Miami won that Shaq title and fell way off the map until LeBron and Bosh came.

I can go on for ever. No team has had it's title doors shut like ours were when Kobe and Pau aged, and then came back very quickly. 

Name me 5 examples, because 1 could be an exception, not he rule.

And please factor in salary cap, trades that were destroyed and so on

#23 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,692 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 21, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Name a team that has won titles, and "competed" after their run was over.

the Spurs won in2007, and since then have legitimately competed ONCE, they have failed miserably since then.

Boston got a title, then exited in the second round, then lost to us, and haven't ben a true threat since.

Miami won that Shaq title and fell way off the map until LeBron and Bosh came.

I can go on for ever. No team has had it's title doors shut like ours were when Kobe and Pau aged, and then came back very quickly. 

Name me 5 examples, because 1 could be an exception, not he rule.

And please factor in salary cap, trades that were destroyed and so on

Happened to the Lakers 1 year after winning a title then.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#24 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Happened to the Lakers 1 year after winning a title then.

?

#25 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,848 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:14 PM

And you miss the point that those decision were mostly made by Mitch with Jim Buss in an advisory position that was seated after what his Dad wanted.

Jim has done nothing to prove himself whatsoever.

#26 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:15 PM

?

They were going to be in salary cap hell.  They cleared the salary by getting Chris Paul.  Trade was destroyed.   Leaving them stuck in the spot they've been in for the past few years.

Because I have a feeling they'd have bounced back rather quickly if they had Chris Paul that year, and then had gotten Dwight Howard the following year.  So I don't think they'd have gone through a "lull" of the past few years and that vetoed trade not only screwed them talent wise but also financially.   You said to include salary cap and trades that were destroyed, well all of those things happened to us in the wake of that so.

#27 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,768 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:20 PM

My point is, the problem wasnt solely on not winning since 2010, but the decisions that disabled the team to carry on after.

no one won every single year. However we had a great decade winning 50%. But we could've been in a better position post 2010 2011 had the right calls were made...

Yeah, i understand we got Howard and Nash and we should be thankful and so on... But its meaningless to have quality players like this and surround them with a coach no one wanted or no one believed it fits the players... To go further back, the hiring of Mike Brown over Rick Adelman wasn't wise.. And the early firing of Mike Brown wasn't wise too...

Its managerial mistakes. Would you think OKC would've been eliminated had they kept Harden ? Would you think The bulls and Jordan would only have 6 rings if its not for their GM Krause ? it goes like this..

The wiser your decision the better outcome you expect..

That was not the case since 2011.. However, we're lucky enough to have salary cap next year with couple of good FA .. we might start again ..

#28 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:26 PM

They were going to be in salary cap hell.  They cleared the salary by getting Chris Paul.  Trade was destroyed.   Leaving them stuck in the spot they've been in for the past few years.

Because I have a feeling they'd have bounced back rather quickly if they had Chris Paul that year, and then had gotten Dwight Howard the following year.  So I don't think they'd have gone through a "lull" of the past few years and that vetoed trade not only screwed them talent wise but also financially.   You said to include salary cap and trades that were destroyed, well all of those things happened to us in the wake of that so.

yea. You're making my point for me. Thanx

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:27 PM

My point is, the problem wasnt solely on not winning since 2010, but the decisions that disabled the team to carry on after.

no one won every single year. However we had a great decade winning 50%. But we could've been in a better position post 2010 2011 had the right calls were made...

Yeah, i understand we got Howard and Nash and we should be thankful and so on... But its meaningless to have quality players like this and surround them with a coach no one wanted or no one believed it fits the players... To go further back, the hiring of Mike Brown over Rick Adelman wasn't wise.. And the early firing of Mike Brown wasn't wise too...

Its managerial mistakes. Would you think OKC would've been eliminated had they kept Harden ? Would you think The bulls and Jordan would only have 6 rings if its not for their GM Krause ? it goes like this..

The wiser your decision the better outcome you expect..

That was not the case since 2011.. However, we're lucky enough to have salary cap next year with couple of good FA .. we might start again ..

ok

i see what type of fan u are

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:28 PM

And you miss the point that those decision were mostly made by Mitch with Jim Buss in an advisory position that was seated after what his Dad wanted.

Jim has done nothing to prove himself whatsoever.

okay, so what did Jerry Buss do?

#31 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,768 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'll take that as a compliment  :)

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'll take that as a compliment  :)

imagination, u want more. it was one

I just don't like entitled fans.

AAs far as owners, i'm glad I have one who will play it safe at times and takes risk at others. I see no similarities between him Jerry jones, Dan Gilbert or Mark Cuban. yet Jim Busses name is always mentioned on ESPN.

It's weird to me.

And as far as Rick Aldeman, in my opinion, that's what you call a PROVEN loser. Over 20 years in the NBA and always coming up short. At least Brown and D'Antoni were guys who you can never say had a championship ROSTER.

While a guy like Brian Shaw was , in my opinion, not proven yet. He needed to get his feet a little wetter.

#33 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,712 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted July 21, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Lakers are going back to the championship in 2 years..

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#34 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,848 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 21, 2013 - 07:51 PM

If you have to ask that question Basketball IQ, you've lost the argument.

You might have just branded your name on here the biggest oxymoron name in the history of message boards.

#35 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 21, 2013 - 07:53 PM

okay, so what did Jerry Buss do?

garycoleman-wtf_zps33e3b960.gif

#36 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Jerry West was not the best in the world when we won in 1972.

#37 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:35 PM

If you have to ask that question Basketball IQ, you've lost the argument.

You might have just branded your name on here the biggest oxymoron name in the history of message boards.

I don't get how Jim as an owner gets NO credit, but Jerry Buss as an owner gets ALL the credit.

If you don't see the blatant bias, it's your eyes that need checking not mine.

Firstly, writing checks doesn't fall uneder basketball acumen. HE did NOT draft Magic or trade for Kareem and Jerry West was the GM , so what did Buss do except spend a lot of his own money?

That's what Jim is doing?

Did Jerry buss/Jerry West CONTEND every year?

Hell no.

So, again, I don't understand what Jerry Buss did that jim is not doing?

#38 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,462 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:54 PM

I don't get how Jim as an owner gets NO credit, but Jerry Buss as an owner gets ALL the credit.

If you don't see the blatant bias, it's your eyes that need checking not mine.

Firstly, writing checks doesn't fall uneder basketball acumen. HE did NOT draft Magic or trade for Kareem and Jerry West was the GM , so what did Buss do except spend a lot of his own money?

That's what Jim is doing?

Did Jerry buss/Jerry West CONTEND every year?

Hell no.

So, again, I don't understand what Jerry Buss did that jim is not doing?

Win titles......

#39 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Win titles......

We won titles under Jim and Jerry and Mitch.

it's just dependent on how much credit people want to give.

It usually goes that when we won titles Jim had little to no involvement(despite having large influence as far back as when Bynum was drafted by us which people seem to have trouble with.  Jim was a major player in drafting Bynum but had NOTHING to do with the subsequent titles that happened? So he drafted bynum and sat back and said "well im done" and did nothing?  right...) .  But every year after that they signify as Jim Buss's fault, but they exclude him from his hand in the Chris Paul trade as well as absolving Jerry from the Mike Brown and Mike D'antoni hire.

When it comes down to it some people don't care about chronological order, they just stick the GM they like with the stuff they like and stick the GM they don't like with the stuff they hate. 

it has been posted here millions of times that it was Jerry's decision to hire Mike D'antoni over Phil and that even he told Jeanie out and out it was his decision and some fans still be talking about "nuh uh!!!" :)

Edited by Majesty, July 21, 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#40 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,370 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:51 PM

I understand his father dying wish for a return to showtime. But this is a business too, decisions guided by emotions are not always the smartest thing.

We will bounce back, could be in two years, could be the next decade (as history has shown so far) but I know we will bounce back to be the best
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users