Photo

Game #5 Summer League Lakers Vs Warriors 7/20/13, Lakers Officially Eliminated From Tournament

NBATV

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#201 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,630 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Assuming, Young plays starting SF, which Mitch says he should play.

Mitch said that before signing Wesley Johnson, I doubt the plan remains the same since Mitch has the idea that Wesley is going to be a lockdown defender for us.

That likely means he'll be starting in my opinion. 

Nick Young then becomes backup to Kobe.

Nick Young was gotten for the purpose of spelling minutes from Kobe, if he starts the 3 with Kobe that doesn't happen.

Mitch said that with Meeks being our only other 2 option and having no small forward after amnestying Metta.

Getting Wesley changes that.

It means that Young is likely backing up Kobe and Meeks is off-man out.

Edited by Majesty, July 21, 2013 - 03:15 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#202 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,541 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Mitch said that before signing Wesley Johnson, I doubt the plan remains the same since Mitch has the idea that Wesley is going to be a lockdown defender for us.

Nick Young was gotten for the purpose of spelling minutes from Kobe, if he starts the 3 with Kobe that doesn't happen.

Mitch said that with Meeks being our only other 2 option and having no small forward after amnestying Metta.

I don't see us starting Wesley Johnson.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#203 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,630 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Did he say anything against that statement after that signing?

Mitch said that before signing Wesley Johnson, I doubt the plan remains the same since Mitch has the idea that Wesley is going to be a lockdown defender for us and compared him to having a role similar of Cooper or Ariza for us.  If Mitch is THAT high on Wesley Johnson..

Also if the backups were

Blake

Young

Wesley

-------- (not filled yet unless we run a small ball lineup. oh and CDR at the four is laughable. He isn't a prime-Lamar Odom. can be kelly but he's a rookie and MDA isn't fond of those either)

Kaman

Then who would be our starting 3??    Do you think the Lakers would run a starting lineup of Meeks at the 2 and Kobe at the 3?   I doubt it, when they have Wesley to provide defense at the 3 that they'd force Kobe to play there.

It's all about taking some of Kobe's minutes from him, getting Young and Wesley does that because Wesley can play the 3 and provide defense and Young can backup Kobe at the 2.  If Young starts at the 3 it defeats that purpose.  Know what I mean?

if CDR makes the team this is the lineup I see us going with

Nash
Kobe
Johnson
Hill
Gasol

Blake
Young
CDR

(4)
Kaman.

Edited by Majesty, July 21, 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#204 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,541 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Well, if you think that's the lineup, we gotta wait and find out.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#205 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:33 PM

yep, CDR did his job

he'd do better with better talent, and when he scored, he did a pretty good job

#206 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,630 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well, if you think that's the lineup, we gotta wait and find out.

Yeah we do :)

But honestly with as high as Mitch is on Johnson and as much as he impressed.

I think that Mitch has in his mind to start him.

If Kobe doesn't start the season I see Nick Young being the 2 and Wesley Johnson being the 3 and Meeks backing up Young.

But in pre-season I expect a lot of shuffled lineups while we try to figure things out and unless Wesley completely crops out and knock on wood that he doesn't, he should be our starting 3.  

I guess I'm thinking about minutes. Know what I mean?

If Young backs up Kobe and Blake and Farmar are backing up Nash and Kaman is backing up Pau it means that there's less chance either have to return too fast.

Blake can run the offense pretty well and Farmar can eat up excess time to save Blake's legs as well.  Not only that but Young is a guy that can create his own shot very well and with a point guard like Blake or Nash can flourish.

When I look at our bench in the last few years it was filled with guys that need Kobe to set them up to be successful, the only thing close we had to a guy that could get his own shot was Shannon and even then he played best when Kobe was on the floor with him.

Young can be a guy that can keep Kobe on the bench and extend a lead on his own without needing to be force fed, thus Kobe's minutes go down.

Blake outplayed Nash in the second half of last season, while Nash was dealing with injury and I expect Nash to have a bounce back year, Blake can already eat up Nash's minutes, they're both virtually the same player except Blake is better at understanding how to be off-ball and a better defender while Nash is the better shooter and more adaptive playmaker.

So that's fine.

But now we ACTUALLY have a backup center that isn't Sacre and if Pau's knees were an issue last year, regardless on if surgery helped, Kaman is a guy that can play extended minutes and take a lot of time away from Gasol and they have similar styles but as is the case with Nash and Blake, Kaman is a better defender than Gasol and is also a better mid range shooter as well.

So when I look at the backups we got to go with our starting lineup's our team is set up perfectly to take full advantage of our youth and cut the minutes of our veterans :D For that reason I am very happy.

IF we are healthy and Kobe STILL has to play 40 minutes a night to keep us in games, D'antoni is getting fired cause there is absolutely no reason with this deep a lineup and bench that was created for the sole purpose of being able to play at a faster tempo while our veterans get rest that our veterans would have to play 40 mins a night.

Edited by Majesty, July 21, 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#207 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 878 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:51 PM

^ I agree Maj. CDR and Landry were given specific roles that would translate to the final roster roles they would play,if they make it. CDR was given a point forward role, while Landry a stretch 4 role. Both would look dramatically better in these roles with higher caliber team mates compared to SL players. Landry is undersized at the 4, but he fits that MDA 4 mould and has decent athleticism and defence. He would get quality open looks in the top team. CDR is not a natural play maker and more a scorer, but has shown he could fill a point forward role. With team mates who can actually finish plays he sets up and find him when he slashes or is open, he will look much better.

#208 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,630 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Lakers liked how CDR did his job facilitating and sacrificing points for teammates, want to also see Harris and Landry again and feel Harris has an NBA ready game.

Summer League Summary

130723_cdr_250x370_02.jpg

We took a look at L.A.'s trip to Las Vegas for the 2013 Summer League, in which the Dan D'Antoni-coached Lakers went 3-1 before falling to the eventual champion Golden State Warriors 83-77 in the quarterfinals.

Here's what went down:

WOULDA, COULDA, SHOULDA

If you ask D'Antoni, the Lakers could have won the whole tournament. It's not much of a leap to take, considering they had the eventual champion Warriors down by 10 points at halftime and through much of the third quarter. However, the bench – L.A.'s Achilles heel throughout the tournament – conceded a 16-4 run from which the starters couldn't quite recover. The starters had also controlled the only other loss, 70-62 to Cleveland, building a fourth quarter lead that the bench couldn't hold. D'Antoni said he wanted to get guys some minutes, since Summer League is also about developing players, but could have gone back to his starters earlier.

ABOUT THOSE STARTERS

Lester Hudson, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Marcus Landry, Elias Harris and Robert Sacre were collectively terrific as a unit in Sin City. Among the more experienced groups in the tourney, each player sacrificed some of his individual game to better operate as a unit, and committed to playing tough defense while sharing the ball on offense. Summer League can often devolve into individual players trying to prove themselves to the plethora of NBA executives watching in the stands, but L.A.'s first unit successfully bucked that trend.

CDR SHOWS A DIVERSIFIED GAME

Perhaps the best example of sacrificing his own game for the betterment of the team came from Chris Douglas-Roberts*, a proven scorer at the NBA level – he averaged 17 points for the Nets for over a month when given minutes – who did much more than that in Vegas. At 6-7 with a nice handle, CDR can free himself for jumpers or get to the rim, but he attempted only 32 shots in five games, tied for fifth on the team, instead focusing on playing as a point forward and facilitating for others (his nine assists ranked second to point guard Lester Hudson's 16). Douglas-Roberts also used his length and quickness to be disruptive on D, helping him build a robust individual plus/minus of +42 for the tournament. He wanted to show teams that he could do more than just score, and he did so.*If you want to hear from CDR himself, we recorded an hour-plus long podcast with him.

LANDRY = A COACH'S FAVORITE

At 27 years old, Marcus Landry's been around professional basketball for a number of years after a solid career at Wisconsin, and was one of the more seasoned players on display in Vegas. The D'Antoni brothers had Landry on the roster in New York when Mike D'Antoni was the head coach of the Knicks, and grew to really appreciate his professionalism and desire to win. For the tourney, Landry led the Lakers in scoring at 15.2 points per game in his 26.8 minutes, hitting 37.1 percent of his threes (13 of 35) in showing stretch 4 capabilities on offense. That Landry's a classic tweener with no true position may have something to do with his inability to stick on a full NBA roster, but D'Antoni would describe him in another way: a winner.

HARRIS REVEALS AN NBA GAME

Perhaps the brightest surprise of the week-plus in Nevada was the play of Elias Harris, an undrafted rookie out of Gonzaga who flashed a diverse game that will likely get him invited to an NBA training camp. At 6-8, 240 pounds with a some touch from outside and ability to get to the rim with the dribble, Harris could be a nice fit at the stretch 4 position in an offense like that of Mike D'Antoni. Harris hit only 3 of his 16 threes, but made 2 of 5 in the final game, and appeared confident in letting it fly. He also rebounded well, collecting 5.6 per game in his 27 minutes, while collective 1.20 steals to boot. The Lakers liked him after the team's mini-camp in El Segundo, and he did little to change that affection in Vegas.

Read More Here: http://www.nba.com/l..._league_summary

Nice to hear

Edited by Majesty, July 23, 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#209 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Gunsmith Cats

• 8,452 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Those most likely are the players that might be getting an invite. CDR being the most obvious, in my opinion.

MMiRi9s.png

• 40,395 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:16 PM

Good post Maj. Thanks for sharing. Harris was at Gonzaga the same time Sacre was. They were teammates.

29vc7ed.jpg

yo.

#211 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 24, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Even in the summer league we suck. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

• 40,395 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:30 PM

^ D'Antoni was our coach, of course we'd fall short.

yo.

#213 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,630 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 05:11 AM

vid of how CDR was setting up teammates etc

View on Vimeo.