100 replies to this topic

#61 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'm sure people despise my posts when I state things like this...but 2013-14 will not be something we'll have fun looking back on 10 years from now.

You have to have defensive-minded (or capable) players slotted in at least two positions, or an elite defensive anchor, to get to the NBA Finals. It's a requirement.

Spurs (Duncan, Leonard)
Heat (LeBron, Wade, Chalmers)
Thunder (Ibaka, Thabo, Perkins, Westbrook)
Mavericks (Chandler, Marion, Kidd, Stevenson)
Lakers (Kobe, Artest)
Celtics (Garnett, Rondo, Tony Allen)
Magic (Howard, Lee)

With a starting five of Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Young and Kaman...we have one guy capable of playing high-level defense (Kobe), but we really have no idea if he'll be able to next season. His lateral quickness may be depleted to the point of no return, and post defense lost with a weaker base. Jordan Hill is a hustle player, isn't THAT great on the defensive end (to impact a series), and for the rest of the bench (Blake, Farmar, Meeks, Johnson, Sacre), there's NOTHING there at that end of the court.

So what we're looking at is a team that has little to no defensive talent among its players...and without a defensive-minded coach in place, regardless.

At least those old run-and-gun, Nash-led Suns teams had defensive players like Shawn Marion and Raja Bell, who sought to lock up the Kobe's and LeBron's of the league.

Just because we have a roster of guys we are familiar with, and we're entering this season of "friends" instead of "super-friends" (basically, the focus has shifted back to Kobe and Gasol), it doesn't mean we're going to make noise. Doesn't even mean it's going to be fun.

#62 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:18 PM

BasketballIQ, on 23 Jul 2013 - 17:16, said:
Hill? Maybe

He's currently the best defensive big on our team, but that's not saying much. It's mostly just hustle and effort from him...and being a defensive anchor takes more than that. Hill doesn't have the IQ to be a Howard, Garnett, Duncan, Noah, Chandler, etc.

• 40,603 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:21 PM

With a starting five of Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Young and Kaman...we have one guy capable of playing high-level defense (Kobe), but we really have no idea if he'll be able to next season. His lateral quickness may be depleted to the point of no return, and post defense lost with a weaker base. Jordan Hill is a hustle player, isn't THAT great on the defensive end (to impact a series), and for the rest of the bench (Blake, Farmar, Meeks, Johnson, Sacre), there's NOTHING there at that end of the court.

Blake is arguably at least an average defender. He's feisty and can irritate others sometimes.

Meeks does try, but obviously more times than not fails miserably as we see him often getting toyed with & singled out by the opposition. Hustle can only take you so far sometimes.

I think Young & Johnson have defensive potential because of their youth, length, & athleticism, but for now, that's mostly all it is. They've had their moments here & there, but have yet to put it all together overall & prove it consistently.

How would you feel about us going after K-Mart? I hope you believe and can at least acknowledge he's a pretty decent to solid defender and would easily be one of our best if he were to come.

yo.

#64 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:27 PM

That lack of a proven defensive wing is glaring, but I'm not sold on pau being washed up, and hope farmar/Blake can be alright at pg, and hope one of Wesley Johnson, cdr, or nick young comes in and develops a mean streak on defense.

Hill and pau in the low post isn't terrible
Lakers are still in an alright spot
I think nick young will raise his game

I think they might give up 104 ppg, but they might score 107

#65 Mumford

Mumford

Rookie

• 168 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 03:42 PM

We're not doing a damn thing without a defensive anchor, guys.  Just stop.  This happens every season.

Nor have done nothing this season with a defensive anchor.

#66 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,967 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 23, 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'm sure people despise my posts when I state things like this...but 2013-14 will not be something we'll have fun looking back on 10 years from now.

You have to have defensive-minded (or capable) players slotted in at least two positions, or an elite defensive anchor, to get to the NBA Finals. It's a requirement.

Spurs (Duncan, Leonard)
Lakers (Kobe, Artest)
Magic (Howard, Lee)

So what we're looking at is a team that has little to no defensive talent among its players...and without a defensive-minded coach in place, regardless.

At least those old run-and-gun, Nash-led Suns teams had defensive players like Shawn Marion and Raja Bell, who sought to lock up the Kobe's and LeBron's of the league.

Just because we have a roster of guys we are familiar with, and we're entering this season of "friends" instead of "super-friends" (basically, the focus has shifted back to Kobe and Gasol), it doesn't mean we're going to make noise. Doesn't even mean it's going to be fun.

Rambis?
And I think Wesley Johnson is gonna be in the starting lineup at the 3 and I think he'll surprise a few people defensively this year.

Edited by Majesty, July 23, 2013 - 04:49 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#67 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:39 PM

How would you feel about us going after K-Mart? I hope you believe and can at least acknowledge he's a pretty decent to solid defender and would easily be one of our best if he were to come.

Doubt we're going to spend much more money, at this point. We're looking to avoid repeater tax, so we may be looking to trade Steve Blake before the season starts (and whatever else gets us under the tax threshold, like getting rid of Duhon).

Nor have done nothing this season with a defensive anchor.

You also have to do more than just stick a defensive anchor out on the floor. We weren't going to hold teams to 60 points, didn't matter if we had Dwight Howard or the 1996 Dennis Rodman.

Rambis?

And I think Wesley Johnson is gonna be in the starting lineup at the 3 and I think he'll surprise a few people defensively this year.

We'll see...Rambis isn't on board yet, and if it happens, how much time will defensive drills and the focus on a system take up in practices?

Wes Johnson was one of the worst defensive players in Phoenix last season, and was torched at the three, so I'm not banking on much from him...on offense or defense. He'll have to prove me wrong before I assume anything, at this point.

#68 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Pau will definitely have one of his best seasons as a Laker this year

#69 415

Rookie

• 51 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:59 PM

They will be better on D based on what? Shaw? You gotta have defenders first

Chandler, mcgee, faried, hickson is an ok defender

• 40,603 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Wes Johnson was one of the worst defensive players in Phoenix last season, and was torched at the three, so I'm not banking on much from him...on offense or defense. He'll have to prove me wrong before I assume anything, at this point.

But Mitch thinks he can turn into a Michael Cooper or Trevor Ariza on that end. Do you think Mitch is high?

yo.

#71 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,967 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:14 PM

But Mitch thinks he can turn into a Michael Cooper or Trevor Ariza on that end. Do you think Mitch is high?

He must have REALLY impressed at the workout they had that the Lakers kept under wraps.

Lakers are usually good at hiding things.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#72 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Exactly!! Jody has a lot of learning to do. Firstly you don't accuse someone of being dense when I have kids who have been watching the Lakers longer than he has. Second: If you really read what I said was "The year prior to D12 we did well" My point was that team and this team aren't that much different if healthy. MWP was terrible two years ago and he's not here. Bynum was here and we had Lamar. We are younger and more athletic than that team. We have more offensive fire power than that team. We have a disciplined Kaman instead of Bynum. We have Nash and Farnar instead of Fisher and Sessions. Again, barring injury we will have more wins than last year for sure. So please tell Jody to close his mouth while grown folks are talkin. Jody called Kaman often injured and then Praised BYNUM for a 17/10 year. So Bynum is never injured I guess. Do you know in 2009 Kaman averaged 19 and 9?? Do you know Pau got surgery to fix his ailments. Did you know this will be the hardest working Laker team you've seen in years?? We still haven't finished signing good players for Vet mins yet. So don't count the Lakers out of the playoff just yet young man

With this current lineup they could still win as many gms as last season as long as the injury bug doesnt come back to haunt them

#73 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:19 PM

*Sigh*

Some of you guys don't get it.

#74 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 5,351 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Exactly!! Jody has a lot of learning to do. Firstly you don't accuse someone of being dense when I have kids who have been watching the Lakers longer than he has. Second: If you really read what I said was "The year prior to D12 we did well" My point was that team and this team aren't that much different if healthy. MWP was terrible two years ago and he's not here. Bynum was here and we had Lamar. We are younger and more athletic than that team. We have more offensive fire power than that team. We have a disciplined Kaman instead of Bynum. We have Nash and Farnar instead of Fisher and Sessions. Again, barring injury we will have more wins than last year for sure. So please tell Jody to close his mouth while grown folks are talkin. Jody called Kaman often injured and then Praised BYNUM for a 17/10 year. So Bynum is never injured I guess. Do you know in 2009 Kaman averaged 19 and 9?? Do you know Pau got surgery to fix his ailments. Did you know this will be the hardest working Laker team you've seen in years?? We still haven't finished signing good players for Vet mins yet. So don't count the Lakers out of the playoff just yet young man

Kaman 19/9 in 2009 is a very good point.

Now if only we can get back Kobe of 2006-2008, Nash of 2006-2007, Pau of 2008-2010, Jordan Hill/Wes Johnson/Nick young of ..(never mind) ... We should be a pretty decent team.

Alas .. this is 2013-2014.

#75 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,223 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted July 23, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Just enjoy this season. In what may be Kobe's last with the lakers. Hopefully they ball out this year. Nothing is expected. Just sit back and enjoy.

#76 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Ariza would be a realistic ceiling (doubt he gets there, though), but Cooper is so far out of reach, it's not even funny.

#77 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,984 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 23, 2013 - 11:46 PM

Spurs (Duncan, Leonard)
Lakers (Kobe, Artest)
Magic (Howard, Lee)

I agree that we could use a defender or two, but we do have a bit of size so we should be able to crowd the paint and guys like Nick Young and Wesley Johnson should be able to contest 3pt shooters. Also, I don’t think it’s that difficult to add a defender or two – either through free agency or via trades.

Why not look at these guys:

Tyrus Thomas, Ronnie Brewer, K-Mart, Mickael Pietrus, Delonte West, Dahntay Jones – there’s a lot of different defensive skills to be had…

IMO Delonte West is the guy to get. With Delonte you could try move both Meeks and Blake. I also think Ronnie Brewer would be a nice addition, since it’ll give us a real defensive stopper, who may not score much, but doesn’t really make mistakes either. Finally, a guy like Tyrus Thomas would be a nice addition. He’ll give the frontcourt the one thing they need: athleticism and shotblocking.

Regarding the season; we can only be positively surprised. There is no pressure to do anything – and if we miss the playoffs, I don’t think the fan base will be that upset. Looking at the roster I think and hope everyting will be fine. Everybody are trying to showcase their skills, which can be bad (if everybody are looking to fill the statsheet) or good if everyone buys into the system and play as hard as they can.

#78 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,826 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:34 AM

If healthy and in a consistent system. I see us as a 5th to 8th seed

ap1.png

#79 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,720 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:52 AM

Pau will definitely have one of his best seasons as a Laker this year

I wish... but its highly unlikely.

Posted Image

#80 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 24, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Not every sports talking head can be 100% correct.  The fact remains that he does have a great deal of basketball experience and knowledge.  I don't anyone with experience and knowledge is predicting that the Lakers will take the West and storm into the Finals. 

That said, he is a bit of a bufoon and is a funny guy, often saying outrageous things.  I find him fun to watch. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users