Photo

Game #4 Summer League Lakers Vs Bucks 1:30pm PST (Link in post)

SUMMER LEAGUE

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#101 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,953 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:21 PM

CDR plays with no energy and plays like he doesn't care... It's starting to show more and more... I hope when preseason starts he will be playing better

Actually CDR is playing the role he'd have on the team.   A role player that does the little things and looks to set up his teammates and tries to score when the D gives it to him.

He explained pretty much in that podcast that he has to play what his role would realistically be, and he said he understands that Lakers fans that back him expect him to go out there and score 30 but that if he made the team D'antoni's never gonna walk up to him and when he puts him in the game say "CDR go score 30"  he said so he had to be realistic with himself as to what his role would be if he made the team.  And he is playing exactly what that role would be, a roleplayer who does the intangible things. 

It's not that he doesn't care, he just understands what his role would be on the team and is playing for that.

A lot of people come into the summer league without what their defined role would be on a team so they go for what they know, and that's scoring, the thing is sometimes teams aren't looking for someone that can just score.

He's doing precisely what he should be doing, he's playing exactly how D'antoni would ask him to play when he came off the bench and that's what the Lakers are looking for at that backup 3 position.   He ain't gonna be a 30 point off the bench guy for us if he makes the team, he'll be asked to find his teammates, score when the defense gives him an opening and not playing outside of the offense or his role.

Makes a lot of sense if you think about it.  

It's funny how when he was talking to Mike Trudell about this yesterday he said he was worried cause he wanted the fans to understand how he's approaching this cause he knows they expect him to come out and score 30-40 every game and dominate everyone.  And Mike Trudell was going "Come on CDR no they aren't" and CDR laughed and said "Yes they are!"

it's true :laughing:     But most people I think by now understand what he's doing.

Besides this summer league is a bit different, it's not the "forget your teammates and just try to shine cause the games mean nothing" summer league.

This is actually team based. 

People that play outside of the offense, try too hard to create for themselves and leave their teammates out to dry likely won't make it.   You gotta understand what your team is looking for this time around to make the team.   I like this summer league a LOT better than previous years because of that.  

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,494 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:22 PM

I also wonder how good our summer league team would be with Kelly...

He'd probably make more of his 3s than Landry.

yo.

#103 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 724 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:23 PM

Actually CDR is playing the role he'd have on the team. A role player that does the little things and looks to set up his teammates and tries to score when the D gives it to him.

He explained pretty much in that podcast that he has to play what his role would realistically be, and he said he understands that Lakers fans that back him expect him to go out there and score 30 but that if he made the team D'antoni's never gonna walk up to him and when he puts him in the game say "CDR go score 30" he said so he had to be realistic with himself as to what his role would be if he made the team. And he is playing exactly what that role would be, a roleplayer who does the intangible things.

It's not that he doesn't care, he just understands what his role would be on the team and is playing for that.

A lot of people come into the summer league without what their defined role would be on a team so they go for what they know, and that's scoring, the thing is sometimes teams aren't looking for someone that can just score.

He's doing precisely what he should be doing, he's playing exactly how D'antoni would ask him to play when he came off the bench and that's what the Lakers are looking for at that backup 3 position. He ain't gonna be a 30 point off the bench guy for us if he makes the team, he'll be asked to find his teammates, score when the defense gives him an opening and not playing outside of the offense or his role.

Makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

It's funny how when he was talking to Mike Trudell about this yesterday he said he was worried cause he wanted the fans to understand how he's approaching this cause he knows they expect him to come out and score 30-40 every game and dominate everyone. And Mike Trudell was going "Come on CDR no they aren't" and CDR laughed and said "Yes they are!"

it's true :laughing: But most people I think by now understand what he's doing.

Besides this summer league is a bit different, it's not the "forget your teammates and just try to shine cause the games mean nothing" summer league.

This is actually team based.

People that play outside of the offense, try too hard to create for themselves and leave their teammates out to dry likely won't make it. You gotta understand what your team is looking for this time around to make the team. I like this summer league a LOT better than previous years because of that.

You repeat a ton of the same things throughout all your posts. Just wondering, how come you don't just go to the point? You don't have to say the same exact thing 3 times.

Other then that, agree with you about CDR.

Edited by 8RingKobe, July 18, 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#104 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,953 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:25 PM

You repeat a ton of the same things throughout all your posts. Just wondering, how come you don't just go to the point? You don't have to say the same exact thing 3 times.

Sometimes I type as I talk to clarify the things I say to people because I talk fast irl so much so that when I moved to North Carolina I had to repeat myself multiple times cause being from California they thought I talked funny =p

So it's a habit I guess, when I talk here I kind of envision standing in a circle of my friends just discussing basketball and I'm making sure everyone got it.  

Just how I am ;)

Edited by Majesty, July 18, 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#105 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:26 PM

He'd probably make more of his 3s than Landry.

However, Landry is doing better than CDR though.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

• 40,494 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:29 PM

^ He's chucking more so yeah, he's scoring more points because of that, but on really low efficiency usually.

Read Majesty's post on CDR. He nailed it perfectly.

A lot of fans right now don't seem to understand that, but it's because most of them just don't know the facts behind why he's playing a certain way he is right now. It's what's being asked of him and he himself is a little disappointed that fans expect him to score a lot & what not, but he can't please them right now cause that's not what the coaching staff wants to see out of him right now. It's out of his hands.

yo.

#107 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,953 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:30 PM

However, Landry is doing better than CDR though.

Not necessarily. They are both playing the roles they'd have.

Landry's main role if he made the team would be to shoot wide open threes and get some offense(like what Meeks or Young's role would be)

and Landry is scoring 18 points...but it's sorta on 18 shots a majority of them 3s.

So yeah he's our leading scorer but he's shooting around 30% so that's good for summer league but would he make the team shooting like that?  With Meeks here, I'm not so sure.

ONE thing is for sure, he gets to the basket better than Meeks.

But if I was gonna pull 2 out of the summer league I'd pull Goudelock.  But he's gonna make the Bulls team and be their new poor man's "Nate" off the bench so that's fine.

^ He's chucking more so yeah, he's scoring more points because of that, but on really low efficiency usually.

Read Majesty's post on CDR. He nailed it perfectly.

A lot of fans right now don't seem to understand that, but it's because most of them just don't know the facts behind why he's playing a certain way he is right now. It's what's being asked of him and he himself is a little disappointed that fans expect him to score a lot & what not, but he can't please them right now cause that's not what the coaching staff wants to see out of him right now. It's out of his hands.

yeah, and quite honestly I like his role more than I would if he was going out there scoring 30 every night and leaving his teammates out to dry.   I get to see the little things he does, and him and Wesley Johnson would compliment each other EXTREMELY well at the 3 rotation as their styles are pretty similar in terms of being system players that only look to score at opportune times and rarely force it but are always hustling.

Johnson is just a better defender and more athletic.

So really CDR coming off the bench for Wesley Johnson is my ideal scenario.

And imagining a bench with

Blake
Young
CDR
Hill/Kelly(LO Maybe)
Kaman

makes me extremely looking forward to the season =p

Edited by Majesty, July 18, 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#108 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,354 posts
  • Name:Matt

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:30 PM

CDR was much more impressive last year, imo. I don't know if I'm the only one. Landry has caught my eye though, as well as Snaer.

• 40,494 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:38 PM

CDR was much more impressive last year, imo. I don't know if I'm the only one.

Again, does it really cost people so much to read? Most of Majesty's posts have been spot on, especially all the postings & updates he's given us with interviews from Trudell with CDR. It's out of his hands.

I understand you want him to score and to some extent I do as well, but the Lakers want him to have a more different role than that so they're intentionally telling him to try & focus on doing other things outside of scoring more like intangibles.

He himself has said it's a little frustrating knowing he's well aware of a lot of fans trying to support him expecting him to score big and impress in that way, but that they don't understand that it's out of his hands in large part cause the coaching staff is asking him to do differently right now.

yo.

#110 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,953 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yep and CDR also said there is nothing wrong with being a role player as long as you're realistic with yourself about what your role would be and stay inside yourself. D'antoni wouldn't tell CDR to go out there, dominate the ball and score 30 so it wouldn't impress the staff as much if he went and did that every game. We got Nick Young for that, CDR isn't taking touches away from him. But he'll be available if the defense overloads on him. THAT is what would impress the staff.

The reason Goudelock scores the way he does in summer league is because that's his role and what his role would be off the bench in Chicago. CDRs role for us wouldn't be as a scorer, it'd be as a guy that looks for his teammates, scores when there's an opening and can find his in the open court and not force things and stay inside the offense and his role.

Edited by Majesty, July 18, 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#111 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,354 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Again, does it really cost people so much to read? Most of Majesty's posts have been spot on, especially all the postings & updates he's given us with interviews from Trudell with CDR. It's out of his hands.

I understand you want him to score and to some extent I do as well, but the Lakers want him to have a more different role than that so they're intentionally telling him to try & focus on doing other things outside of scoring more like intangibles.

He himself has said it's a little frustrating knowing he's well aware of a lot of fans trying to support him expecting him to score big and impress in that way, but that they don't understand that it's out of his hands in large part cause the coaching staff is asking him to do differently right now.

1. You need to kick back on those 'does it really cost people so much to read?' and 'this has already been posted multiple times' posts. Don't assume what I have or haven't read because I've read all of what Majesty posted. You seem to have no problem with voicing your opinions on these forums at times so I'll go ahead and say this: You come off pretty obnoxious at times. Other than that, I have no problem with you. /Rant

2. Again, don't assume what I want out of CDR this summer league. It's not about scoring to me. He just hasn't looked as good this year compared to last year. How strong he takes it in when he drives, how un-assertive he looks on defense, etc..

#112 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,953 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Did you cite today as a day he looks unassertive on defense? He's trying on defense. The first 2 games he hurt his ankle and it got better by the 3rd where he took it to the basket effectively as he did today as well while being assertive on defense, the announcers even mentioned it.

• 40,494 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:48 PM

They want to limit his full capabilities as a scorer & creator for himself and have him focus more & prioritize other areas where he can impact the game as the role player they want to mold him to be. It's not the most natural way to play for him I'm sure, but at this point, one, he's not gonna' not listen to what the coaches say, and two, kinda goes with that really, he's just wanting to make the damn team so he won't do anything otherwise to try & jeopardize that.

yo.

#114 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,953 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Making the Lakers means everything to him, if you listened to the desperation in him in that interview yesterday and how inconsolable he was thinking about the prospect of not making the team again this year like last year you'd hear how much this means to him. He basically said he'd be unable to emotionally take failing to make this team again and said that's the ONE thing he knows he wouldn't be able to take. This means a LOT to him.

Mike Trudell tried for the better part of 15 minutes to explain to him that he'd be alright if he didn't make the team again, but it goes deeper than basketball with CDR and he basically was inconsolable.  He just kept repeating "I can't.. I can't go through what happened last year again. I have to make it impossible.  Because that took... a LOT out of me... I can't go through it again. I can't go through training camp again and not make this team. I have to make this team.  I can't let that happen again. I have to make it so it's impossible. It's impossible. I can't go through that again"

The guy is desperate to make it here, and he would ultimately consider himself a failure if he doesn't.  He has said so.  And Trudell tried to make him feel different but he wasn't having it.  

That interview was a very deep look inside the psyche of someone who is desperately trying to make it and how much of an emotional toll and scar it makes on someone when they don't.

Edited by Majesty, July 18, 2013 - 02:56 PM.

• 40,494 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 02:55 PM

Again, don't assume what I want out of CDR this summer league. It's not about scoring to me. He just hasn't looked as good this year compared to last year. How strong he takes it in when he drives, how un-assertive he looks on defense, etc..

and that's almost expected don't you think? When you ask a guy to play a way he's not naturally accustomed to and change his game so dramatically, you should expect some indecisiveness and hesitation at times. It'd be a lot more surprising if that wasn't the case.

You don't play as freely as you normally would with your natural self & game so even at times you're trying harder not to mess up than take more risks. It's a learning process. It takes time. Most guys don't pick up that dramatic of an adjustment so quickly overnight.

yo.

#116 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,354 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:00 PM

He looked ok as far as defense goes today, but he was never known as defender to begin with so any improvement in that department with him is a bonus.

I'm a CDR fan as well, I'm just saying putting his new role appointed to him by the coaches aside, he just hasn't looked as good to me COMPARED to what I saw from him last year. That doesn't mean I think he's played bad this summer league, because he hasn't.

• 40,494 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm a CDR fan as well, I'm just saying putting his new role appointed to him by the coaches aside, he just hasn't looked as good to me COMPARED to what I saw from him last year. That doesn't mean I think he's played bad this summer league, because he hasn't.

Okay, but last year his role was different than what's being asked of him this time around. Last year, you saw him much more aggressive and assertive BECAUSE he was allowed to play his natural way, which is first & foremost trying to score the ball and put pressure on the defense. It goes hand in hand.

yo.

#118 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Cdr is missed A LOT of easy lay ups and even got his shot blocked by Dominique Jones on the break... He isn't converting in transition like he should... instead he's playing half ass...

I'm a CDR fan myself but I haven't been impressed at all.. and if his role with the Lakers is to defend and Knock down shots I haven't seen him drain too many 3's let alone finish at the rim..

• 40,494 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:28 PM

CDR: I know people expected me to go out there and score 30.  I know, I follow twitter and the internet, I know what they expected. I'm the guy that was in camp last year I'm the guy Kobe backed, I'm the guy that scored this and that.  But I have to approach this situation differently.  If I make this team It's going to be as a roleplayer and getting my teammates involved and if you look at the system and the kind of player I am, D'antoni isn't gonna pull me to the side during a game and say "CDR go score 30". That's not gonna be my role on this team if I make it, so I have to play what my role.   Some people come out to the summer league and really don't know what their role is, so they go for what they know, and usually what they know is "score" but I've learned that being a roleplayer can be very important in this league.  At the end of the day you need to be realistic, with yourself especially.  I understand what my role would be on this team so I go out there and try to do that.

yo.

#120 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,953 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:36 PM

If you think he's playing half-ass your perception is a bit off. Playing half ass doesn't mean playing in the 2nd game with a messed up ankle, and he finished effectively in the 3rd game once the sprain had subsided and if you watched his career he isn't a guy that is just a spot up shooter.

He's a cutter and a guy that does the little things. He isn't gonna go out looking to score 30, that's not who he is.

He ain't playing half-assed. Far from it. His job is to find his teammates, pick his spots on offense and find his teammates for eash opportunities which he's been doing effectively.

Yes he missed 2 layups today. One which he hustled for the rebound and scored directly after. I'd rather he miss two layups but play within the system and find ways to get his teammates involved and making the offense easier for them over standing in a corner only shooting 3s and scoring 18 points on 18 shots :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users