Photo

MDA Says It’s Funny Dwight Thinks Rockets Offense Is Different Than His; Nash Says Lakers Offense Better With Pau In The Post, Not Dwight

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 5,125 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:38 PM

gotta say though Wesley has much better defensive prospects than MWP did at that point in his career in terms of against other athletic wings, and Nick Young has all the tools but none of the mentality.  Even so Johnson and Young have better potential as iso defenders than Metta did(cause of age), and than Meeks does.

So at least our perimeter defense will be a little bit better and hopefully Blake is able to eat up more minutes from Nash. 

And having Rambis can really help TEAM defense so that the liabilities of Nash and Pau aren't as exploited.

I hope so. Have not seen much of Wesley.  MWP was a step or 2 slower. But he still had some positive contributions on defense.

What worries me about the defense was Nash saying that Lakers had an outstanding defensive coordinator.

But the team simply could not produce on court.

MDA's running style of offense makes our AARP lineup worse on defense. And it is very bad to begin with.

Last season it looked like many of the lesser players of the opposing teams were having career nights (or close to it)

against us - with amazing regularity

Edited by Wilfred, July 17, 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,191 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:45 PM

I hope so. Have not seen much of Wesley.  MWP was a step or 2 slower. But he still had some positive contributions on defense.

What worries me about the defense was Nash saying that Lakers had an outstanding defensive coordinator.

But the team simply could not produce on court.

MDA's running style of offense makes our AARP lineup worse on defense. And it is very bad to begin with.

Last season it looked like many of the lesser players of the opposing teams were having career nights (or close to it)

against us - with amazing regularity

Well Nash said that a lot of our problems on defense had to do with the "players".  And Metta talked about that too.

Rambis I think will be more "team defense" oriented instead of relying on their iso defensive skills which we saw a lot of last year.  We at very least now have some athleticism along the wing that can help with our team defense.

Edited by Majesty, July 17, 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#23 had

had

Rookie

• 18 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:27 PM

that had to do with his complacency and lack of fundamentals as well.

Because he is the best pick and roll finishing big man in the game and even last year when being complacent about it and barely trying he finished 2nd most effective in the league at pick and roll finishing.

So the fact that Dwight refused to run pick and roll with Nash or Kobe had nothing to do with his hands or his injury it had everything to do with Dwight wanting to prove he was more than a one dimensional center so he begged for more post touches, and he got his wish, and the turnovers came rolling out.   We changed the offense initially to benefit Dwight by giving him post ups, but D'antoni is NOT a post up coach, he is a pick and roll coach.

People say D'antoni failed to adapt to Dwight's skillset.

While that is somewhat true, far too much blame is not taken to Dwight. 

When it should be.

Dwight's skillset is NOT in post ups, it's in the pick and roll and finishing the pick and roll, that or running 4 out 1 in where the entire floor is spread including the power forward so he can have a wide open lane to work in or pass to wide open three point shooters.

And when the 4 on the perimeter in those sets is Gasol and your only stand still 3 point options are Metta and Nash who is learning to be a spot up shooter you got issues.

And trying to change the offense to ensure Dwight more post ups which put Pau out of position as well as gave Metta world peace about 20 three pointers that should have went to Nash was a problem.

In the second half of the season when Kobe had the ball in his hands and was initiating everything and Dwight HAD to run pick and roll it was effective.   But he rarely committed on the screens and the passes would sail  behind him or he wouldn't have his hands ready to catch the reply.

You're asking Mike D'antoni who specializes in pick and roll to adjust to Dwight who is a MASTER at the pick and roll by playing him at the place where he(Dwight) is weakest just because Dwight wants to....

No.. if that was Phil and Dwight tried to pull that and went to Phil and said "Alright I don't want to run pick and rolls with Nash or Kobe, I want you to run the offense through me in the post."

Phil would have said "You lead the league in turnovers from the post."

Dwight would have said "Yeah, but it's the perfect time to prove I'm a post up player, we can run pick and roll at any time it's just not my thing right now."

Phil would go "Dwight you know when the perfect time to practice your post moves is?"

Dwight would go "When?"

Phil would go "The off-season."

And Dwight would piss and moan and leave in the summer cause the coach didn't bend to his will.

Gotta remember, EVENTUALLY D'antoni stopped catering to Dwight's wishes to be used in the post as well and made him run pick and roll more often with Nash, Kobe AND Gasol and we benefitted.

But that entire first half of the season and a little in the second half where he REFUSED to run pick and roll or would leave Nash or Kobe on an island is inexcusable.

Those saying "You adjust it to a players strengths"  DWIGHT didn't even want to play to his strengths he wanted us to intentionally play to his weaknesses so he could prove he was more than the media said he was.

Big difference.

That's like Ray Allen coming to me saying he no longer wants us to run three point plays for him and he decides he wants to drive to the basket from then on, and then when I finally play him in 3 point plays at the end of the season a fan comes up to me and says "you really need to play Ray to his strengths"

I come in here to check Lakers news, check out the comments, and to feel involved in the team, and every time I come in here, I see these long posts from you, Majesty, and regardless if I agree or disagree, I think you are an outstanding fan of the Los Angeles Lakers.  This is a pure fluff comment, I've got nothing to contribute to the discussion, but man, you are outstanding.  Keep on. Keep on.

#24 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:28 PM

He's right, as was Nash when he said what he said about Dwight.

Nash laughed at the thought of Dwight going to Houston after refusing to play pick and roll with Nash and Kobe. 

Was on a radio station interview and Nash wanted to remain classy but you heard it in his voice when he talked about the system Houston runs and how he will be "watching" to see if Dwight does the same thing with them.

If Dwight starts willingly running pick and rolls in Houston it will not only be a spit in the face of Nash but a spit in the face of Kobe as well cause it will be apparent by then that the system had nothing to do with it and it had everything to do with Dwight acting spoiled and not wanting to be here. 

D'antoni is....... right.

And so is Nash who said virtually the same thing.

dwight is probably delusional enough to believe they will completely change their system for him. i think he just couldnt take the heat.

Sure mchale is there and that should easily help him more than mda, but he could have worked with kareem and chose not to make any effort to do so. hakeem clearly hasnt rubbed off on him either lol.

he isnt good enough to run the offense through in the post consistently and houston will come to that realization should they think otherwise.

now that he has no leverage, he is going to have to be a big boy and accept that he is a pick and roll center.

The funny thing is, pau will likely have the offense run through him in the post more than d12 will.

i look forward to the time houston fans have that oh [expletive] moment. Maybe he will keep quiet now that he is stuck but only time will tell.
Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#25 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:36 PM

- Dwight was hurt

- Dwight wasn't mobile and explosive so he couldn't run the P & R well

- Dwight was hurt so he had bad hands

- He thought he could rely on his post game until he can get back to 100%. That was a fail too.

- He was frustrated because this is the 1st time in his career his body was failing him and dudes were running circles around him while he was trying to get to 100%. He threw a fit basically pointed the finger at everyone else instead of adjusting and trying to see what else he can do to help the team win

MDA exhausted all options before turning this dude basically into a catch and dunk player.  It wasn't a good fit because Howard was just not healthy. We got cheated out of what he can do

Oh well

Edited by MDI, July 17, 2013 - 08:40 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#26 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,191 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:41 PM

i look forward to the time houston fans have that oh [expletive] moment.

They probably did the moment he said "Even if I don't win a ring I'm still a winner"

I'm sure the fans of Houston and Harden loved hearing that :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#27 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:23 PM

They probably did the moment he said "Even if I don't win a ring I'm still a winner"

I'm sure the fans of Houston and Harden loved hearing that :)

yeah they can replace rudy t's never underestimate the heart of a champion with that steaming pile.
Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#28 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,378 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:56 PM

All true...I think this year is going to be fun.  Low expectations and a lot of people working hard to get paid...

Lakers will OVERachieve this year...

Yep. That's what happens when a team doesn't have any expectations. The Lakers aren't used to being a team with no expectations. They will embrace it and take advantage of it during the regular season at least. Maybe second round of the playoffs.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users