Photo

MDA Says It’s Funny Dwight Thinks Rockets Offense Is Different Than His; Nash Says Lakers Offense Better With Pau In The Post, Not Dwight

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

• 40,400 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 04:04 PM

http://blacksportson...erent-than-his/

“The thing that cracks me up is Houston, they do the exact same thing,” D’Antoni said, laughing. “And so (Howard) is gonna go to Houston? OK, so did they talk about change there? Don’t tell me that it’s that different.”

“He’s a force and he can be really, really good and dominate the league,” D’Antoni said. “But it’s in an area that he’s not loving right now. He wants to dominate a different way, in the low post and all that. But he needs to get better there, and he will. But his greatness is in defense and being a physical force. I think he’d be better served if he embraces that.

dwight-Howard-Unlikely-re-sign-Lakers.jp
FULL ARTICLE inside link.

http://blacksportson...ost-not-howard/

“I think [Gasol] gives a little more fluidity. The ball can move more,” Nash said Sunday at his Steve Nash Foundation Showdown/soccer match. “We can use him as a facilitator. He’s such a versatile player that it’s going to be a lot of fun to have him making plays and scoring inside.”

nash-says-lakers-offense-better-with-gas
FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Edited by    , July 17, 2013 - 04:07 PM.

yo.

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,723 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 17, 2013 - 04:33 PM

They do have a similar offense. They barely focused on defense but i'm pretty sure they will do something MDA didn't do and thats adjust. They did the high tempo offense with little defense because they had a team for that. We didn't have that type of team  and MDA still did the dumb system so MDA can laugh all he wants, he's still stupid. 

Edited by bigfetz, July 17, 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#3 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 17, 2013 - 04:35 PM

All true...I think this year is going to be fun.  Low expectations and a lot of people working hard to get paid...

Lakers will OVERachieve this year...

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Ultimately Houston's success will depend on if Howard decideds to adjust towards the team, as opposed to the team adjusting for Howard.

#5 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,772 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:25 PM

What's wrong with this picture?  MDA didn't make me hate him when he opened up his mouth.

• 40,400 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:27 PM

^ It's one of the most easiest ways for him to get in somewhat good graces with some Laker fans right now. Just take shots at Dwight, lol.

yo.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,140 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:33 PM

He's right, as was Nash when he said what he said about Dwight.

Nash laughed at the thought of Dwight going to Houston after refusing to play pick and roll with Nash and Kobe. 

Was on a radio station interview and Nash wanted to remain classy but you heard it in his voice when he talked about the system Houston runs and how he will be "watching" to see if Dwight does the same thing with them.

If Dwight starts willingly running pick and rolls in Houston it will not only be a spit in the face of Nash but a spit in the face of Kobe as well cause it will be apparent by then that the system had nothing to do with it and it had everything to do with Dwight acting spoiled and not wanting to be here. 

D'antoni is....... right.

And so is Nash who said virtually the same thing.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#8 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Dwight doesn't have the hands to run an effective Pick 'N Roll offense. How many bounce passes did he whiff on? How many times was he stripped because he was keeping the ball so low after a catch from the roll (resulting in multiple tears of labrum)?

I personally wasn't surprised Dwight's offense looked so bad. There were many on this forum that felt the same way - he is a B- offensive center with a very limited skillset.

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#9 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Dwight doesn't have the hands to run an effective Pick 'N Roll offense. How many bounce passes did he whiff on? How many times was he stripped because he was keeping the ball so low after a catch from the roll (resulting in multiple tears of labrum)?

I personally wasn't surprised Dwight's offense looked so bad. There were many on this forum that felt the same way - he is a B- offensive center with a very limited skillset.

Yes he does...he was the best roll man in the nba last year and the year before that.

#10 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:58 PM

However, issues arise when a coach fails to adapt to his player's skillset.  

D'Antoni failed to keep an offense from becoming stagnate after a failed PnR, had limited second chance points opportunities because of designed floor spacing, and aside from being a stubborn wart, he could not save himself from calling bad timeouts.

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#11 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,787 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Only further makes me upset how great this team would be if everyone would have molded together.  I mean its easy to take shots at D12 like he wasnt the only one who didnt get it but put yourself in his shoes.  There was a lot of injuries and the team is older.  I think the offense is just a easy excuse out but still he made the best decision for him.  I think its time to let Dwight go and move on with this team. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#12 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Statistically Dwight ranked 2nd in the league (1.36 points per play (2nd in the NBA), so I will conceed that if you do, too.

My point was more of an eye-test.  Dwight is comfortable with the ball lobbed or thrown above his opponents, but he clearly struggled with a point guard that can't get to the rim, allowing defenses to sag on Dwight.

With Jameer, Dwight was a beast, and that was mainly because Jameer was a legit drive threat.

AN element of the PnR is that the ball handler must represent a drive threat.. otherwise it severely limits the roll

Wut

#13 BLK MAMBA 81

BLK MAMBA 81

Rookie

• 285 posts
  • Name:Jackal Phrenic 210SA
  • Fan Since:96 - Forever
  • Fav. Laker:MR. 81

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:05 PM

its 10-16 time! :geek:

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:07 PM

that had to do with his complacency and lack of fundamentals as well.

Because he is the best pick and roll finishing big man in the game and even last year when being complacent about it and barely trying he finished 2nd most effective in the league at pick and roll finishing.

So the fact that Dwight refused to run pick and roll with Nash or Kobe had nothing to do with his hands or his injury it had everything to do with Dwight wanting to prove he was more than a one dimensional center so he begged for more post touches, and he got his wish, and the turnovers came rolling out.   We changed the offense initially to benefit Dwight by giving him post ups, but D'antoni is NOT a post up coach, he is a pick and roll coach.

People say D'antoni failed to adapt to Dwight's skillset.

While that is somewhat true, far too much blame is not taken to Dwight. 

When it should be.

Dwight's skillset is NOT in post ups, it's in the pick and roll and finishing the pick and roll, that or running 4 out 1 in where the entire floor is spread including the power forward so he can have a wide open lane to work in or pass to wide open three point shooters.

And when the 4 on the perimeter in those sets is Gasol and your only stand still 3 point options are Metta and Nash who is learning to be a spot up shooter you got issues.

And trying to change the offense to ensure Dwight more post ups which put Pau out of position as well as gave Metta world peace about 20 three pointers that should have went to Nash was a problem.

In the second half of the season when Kobe had the ball in his hands and was initiating everything and Dwight HAD to run pick and roll it was effective.   But he rarely committed on the screens and the passes would sail  behind him or he wouldn't have his hands ready to catch the reply.

You're asking Mike D'antoni who specializes in pick and roll to adjust to Dwight who is a MASTER at the pick and roll by playing him at the place where he(Dwight) is weakest just because Dwight wants to....

No.. if that was Phil and Dwight tried to pull that and went to Phil and said "Alright I don't want to run pick and rolls with Nash or Kobe, I want you to run the offense through me in the post."

Phil would have said "You lead the league in turnovers from the post."

Dwight would have said "Yeah, but it's the perfect time to prove I'm a post up player, we can run pick and roll at any time it's just not my thing right now."

Phil would go "Dwight you know when the perfect time to practice your post moves is?"

Dwight would go "When?"

Phil would go "The off-season."

And Dwight would piss and moan and leave in the summer cause the coach didn't bend to his will.

Gotta remember, EVENTUALLY D'antoni stopped catering to Dwight's wishes to be used in the post as well and made him run pick and roll more often with Nash, Kobe AND Gasol and we benefitted.

But that entire first half of the season and a little in the second half where he REFUSED to run pick and roll or would leave Nash or Kobe on an island is inexcusable.

Those saying "You adjust it to a players strengths"  DWIGHT didn't even want to play to his strengths he wanted us to intentionally play to his weaknesses so he could prove he was more than the media said he was.

Big difference.

That's like Ray Allen coming to me saying he no longer wants us to run three point plays for him and he decides he wants to drive to the basket from then on, and then when I finally play him in 3 point plays at the end of the season a fan comes up to me and says "you really need to play Ray to his strengths"

#15 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Can you leave out all your fictional dialogue so we can easily see the meat of your post.

Wut

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Can you leave out all your fictional dialogue so we can easily see the meat of your post.

If you don't want to read it all to reply to it then you're free to not reply to it rather than comment on how long it is :)   I'm all sold out of cliff notes versions.

only Ham gets those. 

Edited by Majesty, July 17, 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#17 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:17 PM

I like your point though. It's definitely a shared [expletive] up. Neither stubborn personality gave in (including Kobe's) and it couldn't be saved.

Wut

#18 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,743 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Lakers offense is probably better with Pau in the post.

However our defense is much worse without D12. 

Pau can be a liability on defense on days when he is having his period.

Kobe hardly ever tries hard on defense nowadays. And there is no reason to expect that coming off an injury

KB will try hard on defense.

Nash on defense is .. well...

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Lakers offense is probably better with Pau in the post.

However our defense is much worse without D12. 

Pau can be a liability on defense on days when he is having his period.

Kobe hardly ever tries hard on defense nowadays. And there is no reason to expect that coming off an injury

KB will try hard on defense.

Nash on defense is .. well...

gotta say though Wesley has much better defensive prospects than MWP did at that point in his career in terms of against other athletic wings, and Nick Young has all the tools but none of the mentality.  Even so Johnson and Young have better potential as iso defenders than Metta did(cause of age), and than Meeks does.

So at least our perimeter defense will be a little bit better and hopefully Blake is able to eat up more minutes from Nash. 

And having Rambis can really help TEAM defense so that the liabilities of Nash and Pau aren't as exploited.

Edited by Majesty, July 17, 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,140 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:33 PM

the Lakers breaking down why they felt pick and roll with Nash and Dwight would work

LOOK at the screen Dwight sets for Nelson at 3:22 ....

WHY couldn't you do that for Nash or Kobe!?!?!?

here's what he did when Howard would commit on pocket passes

And here is what he could do when Gasol was the center

Heck here was even the 4/5 combo that Bynum ran with Pau because he bought in to pick and roll

it was an unstoppable combo, so it's kinda messed up Dwight decided when he became a Laker "ah well I don't wanna run pick and roll anymore" ...

I can honestly say I never thought that I'd say that Bynum on one leg was more mobile on and committed harder on the pick and rolls during his time as a Laker than DWIGHT HOWARD would..

But it's an unfortunate truth... sigh.

Edited by Majesty, July 17, 2013 - 07:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users