Photo

What is the Lakers' Plan B for 2014 free agency class and summer?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:57 AM

It seems to me like there is this notion that for some reason Lebron will just look at Pat Riley, one of the most respected basketball minds in the NBA and say "screw you, im out of here" and become a Lakers. Then there is this notion that for some reason Melo will be moving away from practically his home town and his wive's Lala home town and start moving to the west coast just because he have a nice dinner with KB24. And there is also this crazy notion that Melo and Lebron will join forces and become a Lakers.  Believe it or not but the optimistic views of some lakers fans can be very comical to me.  Then there is another view that some how Indiana will just let Paul George leave without giving him the key to the city.  To be honest, I actually think Paul might have a better chance of becoming a lakers than some fans who still believe Lebron will be a laker. Mainly because LA is PG home town.  

but lets say none of that happens. Melo stays, Lebron stays, George stays. Or Melo and Lebron team up in NYC.  What will be the Lakers plan B if we get none of those players?  How great of a free agency class is it really?  Getting Wade? really?  Tanking the season so we can get Wiggins?  You dont think people will call conspiracy theory if the Lakers some how get the first pick in the lottery?  I think we need to be more realistic of the situation instead of having pipe dreams.  Lakers probably wont tank the season and get a lottery pick. And even if they are in the lottery, I dont remember the last time they have the number one pick since Magic Johnson or was it Worthy?  anyway, I wondered if the Lakers have a plan B.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:28 AM

It seems to me like there is this notion that for some reason Lebron will just look at Pat Riley, one of the most respected basketball minds in the NBA and say "screw you, im out of here" and become a Lakers. Then there is this notion that for some reason Melo will be moving away from practically his home town and his wive's Lala home town and start moving to the west coast just because he have a nice dinner with KB24. And there is also this crazy notion that Melo and Lebron will join forces and become a Lakers.  Believe it or not but the optimistic views of some lakers fans can be very comical to me.  Then there is another view that some how Indiana will just let Paul George leave without giving him the key to the city.  To be honest, I actually think Paul might have a better chance of becoming a lakers than some fans who still believe Lebron will be a laker. Mainly because LA is PG home town.  

but lets say none of that happens. Melo stays, Lebron stays, George stays. Or Melo and Lebron team up in NYC.  What will be the Lakers plan B if we get none of those players?  How great of a free agency class is it really?  Getting Wade? really?  Tanking the season so we can get Wiggins?  You dont think people will call conspiracy theory if the Lakers some how get the first pick in the lottery?  I think we need to be more realistic of the situation instead of having pipe dreams.  Lakers probably wont tank the season and get a lottery pick. And even if they are in the lottery, I dont remember the last time they have the number one pick since Magic Johnson or was it Worthy?  anyway, I wondered if the Lakers have a plan B.

I think you're jumping to conclusions with this, do you really think the Lakers don't have a plan B? Do you really think one of the most successful franchises in american sport's history doesn't have a plan B, or even, won't bounce back?

There's still one more season to go, we all know how many things can change in just one season, Lakers will adjust no matter what the scenario is, they just adjusted to Dwight leaving LA in a way nobody expected.

Sports are cyclic, it's really hard to accomplish what the Lakers did, take a look around the league, only two teams have remained relevant during the last 15 years, players come and go, and with the precedent LeBron set when he left Cleveland, it's going to be even harder to stay relevant for a long time as the Lakers and that other team in Texas have done. It's highly likely we won't get another superstar that stays loyal for 18 years like we did in Kobe, we have to face that and admit that, the league is changing, it's evolving into a less compromised sport, where athletes just play and when it's time to pack the bags and leave, they'll just do it.

Having 3, 2, 1 superstars in your team is not the only way to win a championship.

We'll be fine, you're not the one executing the plan A or B on our free agency next year, so waiting and see what happens will do you no harm, Lakers are bigger than just one free agency class, it will NOT be the end of the world or the end of the franchise if we don't land a big name free agent

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:40 AM

I did asked the same question about plan B just in case Dwight doesn't sign and it seems to me that the Lakers never had a plan B and was EXPECTING for D12 to resign.  So you answer me that.

Sorry if I am not as optimistic as some lakers fans are but Jerry Buss is gone and the guy running the show gave me no confidents in where this franchise is going.  Unless something major happens and lakers willing to get rid of MDA,  this franchise is like a black hole. Players and coaches tend to avoid it.  MDA is a black hole. 

Edited by epicwolf, July 17, 2013 - 08:42 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,040 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:01 AM

I did asked the same question about plan B just in case Dwight doesn't sign and it seems to me that the Lakers never had a plan B and was EXPECTING for D12 to resign.  So you answer me that.

Sorry if I am not as optimistic as some lakers fans are but Jerry Buss is gone and the guy running the show gave me no confidents in where this franchise is going.  Unless something major happens and lakers willing to get rid of MDA,  this franchise is like a black hole. Players and coaches tend to avoid it.  MDA is a black hole. 

Their plan b was to reload in 2014, you think it's coincidence we only have 2 players on contract next year? There was no plan b this year, nobody to go and get, weak draft class, nobody outside of dwight would have made a difference, so the Lakers are making moves to stay a playoff team and be sitting pretty next year.

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,463 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Well cheer for another team. if you ONLY like the Lakers because they had the GREATEST owner of all-time, it's still kind of bandwagon.

In fact, you must not be that fond, because you act like the entire decade of the 90s wasn't the exact same thing as now.

MJ was in his prime and Magic wasn't and we stopped winning.

lebron is in his prime and Kobe isn't, so who'se TURN is it?

2014, the plan is to get LeBron or the guy(s) we see who could possibly give LeBron a run for his money and it will be that way until 2020 when 

#6 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Well cheer for another team. if you ONLY like the Lakers because they had the GREATEST owner of all-time, it's still kind of bandwagon.

In fact, you must not be that fond, because you act like the entire decade of the 90s wasn't the exact same thing as now.

2014, the plan is to get LeBron or the guy(s) we see who could possibly give LeBron a run for his money and it will be that way until 2020 when 

Aww hell no you didnt go there. Never question my loyalty to the Lakers.  Unlike a lot of people who are lakers fans, I am loyal to the Lakers not players. Couldnt care less if a great player leaves or come. I will still root for them. Never root for any team ever. Never bet on any other team. I didnt even watch the whole playoffs this year because Lakers not there.  You questioning my loyalty like you know me.  You the MDA lover think you know me?  You've been posting a lot of crap lately but this one gets me because you are questioning my loyalty. 

#7 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:10 AM

I never realized that questioning ownership makes you not loyal to a team.  Is it a crime to question Jim Buss? I think 90% of people does. Except for you ofcourse basketballIQ. You sound like you are part of the MDA and Jim Buss payroll. All your post is defending MDA and Jim Buss.  Which is fine by me but when you start question people about their loyalty just because they dont like how this franchise runs, you need to slap yourself in the face.

#8 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:11 AM

2014 isn't the only year that can be used to rebuild through free agency. In fact, 2015 is just as, if not more loaded in comparison. If the Lakers don't hit a home run in 2014, it would be really idiotic if they gave a max to someone like Rudy Gay just to remain in the picture. 

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:13 AM

If this is going to turn into a personal issue, then take it to private messages. 

Consider this the only warning for both of you epic & IQ.

#10 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:33 AM

So we stopped playing? We quit the NBA the day Dwight left. We ARE on plan B, THIS is plan B, we're executing it, we always had it, everybody has a plan B, when you go to the store to buy some snickers you have plan B just in case there are no snickers, there's always a plan B

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#11 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts
  • Name:Quinton
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:12 PM

DeMarcus+Cousins+John+Wall+NCAA+Basketba

#12 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:16 PM

It would be dumb to go pay one player that much money without spreading it throughout a team. Even spreading it with three MAX players is dumb. 4 stars and 1 superstar will beat 3 superstars any day of the week. Especially if Phil is coaching

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,022 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:34 PM

So having a wonderful off-season where we signed  Nick Young, Chris Kaman, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Farmar and potentially LO and CDR while bringing in Kurt Rambis as a defensive assistant and making our bench 8 players deep and thus allowing for a 10-12 man rotation which will cut minutes away from Kobe Nash and Gasol while also surrounding them with youth and athleticism and a secondary wing scorer the likes of which Kobe has never had in his entire Laker career and pulling this off while we were armed only with the mMLE and a bunch of vets minimums in one of the most dire situations our organization has seen isn't enough for you?  

Edited by Majesty, July 17, 2013 - 12:35 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#14 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,332 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:58 PM

I highly doubt Mitch just walks into the office and says to everyone "We're [expletive]ed".

#15 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,986 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:12 PM

Before we think about Plan B, I think it’s important to discuss what plan A really is. Besides the obvious, which is to sign LBJ, Melo or George, I think it is equally important this offseason to create an environment that the elite FAs would like to be a part of. This includes getting a coach and a system in place, getting cheap roleplayers with upside that fit both system and coach and then try to stack assets in the draft going forward, if possible. Plan A should also include NOT OVERPAYING for the wrong players like the Knicks did with Amare.  

Other than that, Plan B could be to sign Luol Deng and Kyle Lowry and then make a run at K-Love or Cousins next season.

#16 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 18, 2013 - 12:42 AM

Plan A. Get LeBron and Melo.

Plan B. Get either. 

Plan C. Go after other free agents/ role players to set up for 2015 free agency. 

Don't see any reason to panic. 

#17 GeeQ

GeeQ

Rookie

• 127 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 06:18 AM

A. We dont need Lebron

enemies never pair up and Kobe knows that. He doesnt want tarnished rings.

B. We dont need Carmelo. There arent enough balls on the court for Kobe and Melo and Kyle Lowry for sure cant

help the situation

C. Best thing is get younger guys that have great upside to go along with the vets we have. Lebron and Melo will be out their prime in another 3 to 4 when Paul George has almost 10 and 3 to 4 before he enter into his prime. Wall and Cousins has 3 to 4 more years before they enter their prime

#18 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,022 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:01 PM

A. We dont need Lebron

enemies never pair up and Kobe knows that. He doesnt want tarnished rings.

B. We dont need Carmelo. There arent enough balls on the court for Kobe and Melo and Kyle Lowry for sure cant

help the situation

Stop.

A) Their rings won't be tarnished because they'd need to work together to win them. 
B) Carmelo would play off ball to Kobe and they have already proven together through two Olympics that they know how to play together and Carmelo has stated many times that him and Kobe know how to play together as has Kobe.  That's why Kobe said he wanted to play with Carmelo cause they'd know how to use one another.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#19 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:19 PM

Yeah Really. The one time I agree with MDA. "We got lucky" We went from no way making the playoffs to (pending Health) No way we miss the playoffs. Mitch and others are really doing their thing this off season

So having a wonderful off-season where we signed  Nick Young, Chris Kaman, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Farmar and potentially LO and CDR while bringing in Kurt Rambis as a defensive assistant and making our bench 8 players deep and thus allowing for a 10-12 man rotation which will cut minutes away from Kobe Nash and Gasol while also surrounding them with youth and athleticism and a secondary wing scorer the likes of which Kobe has never had in his entire Laker career and pulling this off while we were armed only with the mMLE and a bunch of vets minimums in one of the most dire situations our organization has seen isn't enough for you?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users