Photo

Nelly speaks on Kobe, Howard (First Take)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 151 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:56 AM

Could Dwight be friends with a more lame rapper?

#42 Armenian24

Armenian24

Rookie

• 123 posts
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:02 AM

remember this?

#43 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Since the struggle of the season started I already knew that D12 doesn't want to play with Kobe. D12 can't handle Kobe's demand, its too much for him, the expectation,etc etc... Kobe is just too demanding for real. If you look at Steve Nash compare to his former team he show's leadership or something unlike now he is just normal teammate of Kobe Bryant just doing some high five on his teammate or slapping their butt. I think the reason why KB24 doesn't have enough leadership inside because DFISH always takeover the leadership thing and Kobe just doing his work on the court. Yes, he is spoiled brat ofcourse he's hunger to win more championship and Kobe won 5 titles already. If you think I'm a kobe hater well to tell you frankly I'll take Kobe Bryant over Jordan.

33bkfif.jpg

#44 415

Rookie

• 51 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Like I said, your speculations versus his words. You're only trying to put together some sparse evidence against Kobe in defense of Nelly, who in turn is defending Dwight.

Now read that again. Do you realize how crazy that sounds? You would put Kobe's name through mud to give Nelly some validation?

And how are you not speculating? Do u kno shaq personally? Did they not get along while they were teammates? Do u not remember that?
Ur basing it off kobe can play in any system and he gave me the ball alot? Wow

Edited by 415, July 17, 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#45 415

Rookie

• 51 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:39 AM

Could Dwight be friends with a more lame rapper?

U kno u wud act like a 15 yr old girl if u seen nelly in person cmon now

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:41 AM

People still take the things that see on First Take seriously?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 10:20 AM

Nelly is 100% wrong. Kobe is the most accomplished player in the game. Kobe's got rings and Dwight doesn't. Really Dwight is correct? LOL

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#48 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 17, 2013 - 10:55 AM

1) Superstars do want to play alongside Kobe, but the Lakers rarely have the money to go rake in big-time FA's.  With Kobe and Shaq, we weren't getting a third superstar.  With Kobe, Gasol, Odom and Bynum (only one superstar in that bunch), we didn't have the money to sign a second.  So, when Nelly is talking about free agency, and how players don't flock to LA, it's kind of funny to me.

2) A pay cut?  So Nelly (a casual fan, to me) expects Kobe Bryant to re-negotiate his contract?  The Lakers are NOT under the cap, so it can't be done, according to the CBA.  It's simply out of the question...but of course, he doesn't know that.

3) LeBron, Wade and Bosh DID take less to play together...at the end of their contracts.  Those pay cuts didn't happen until they became unrestricted free agents.  The last time (and truly, only time) Kobe was a free agent was in the summer of 2004.  Cap was around $44 million, and a trio of Kobe, Odom, and Brian Grant was costing the Lakers approx. $38 million already.

Ironically, Kobe's "piece of the pie" was approx. $14.2 million that season...which is around the amount LeBron, Wade and Bosh took their first season together.  

Shaq was demanding $28 million from Jerry Buss...just to put things into perspective.

4) I won't bother posting a lot of "good" about Howard's Orlando teams...because he didn't have the help he should've, but neither did LeBron James or Allen Iverson.  All three of those players reached the NBA Finals, though, because they had role players who maximized their talents AROUND their superstar teammate, in the perfect offense for ALL of them, while helping make the game easier for the star in the process.  Iverson and LeBron were the lone scoring threats, but had guys who hit shots out of penetrations and teams that played elite defense (along with very good defensive coaches).  Howard played in an offense (4-out, 1-in) that spread the floor and depended on his ability to draw defenders into the paint, to kick out to open 3PT shooters who slaughtered teams when the focus was on Dwight.

---------------------

Regarding what others are saying in here...Kobe playing second-fiddle?  He averaged the most shots on the team in 2001 and 2002 (second and third rings), the most assists, and he RAN the triangle offense as the primary facilitator.  He was also defending the best players on the floor each night.  There was no doubt, in anyone's mind, that he was the co-captain of that team.  It was a Superman and a Batman, no Robin.  Simply stating otherwise doesn't hold weight.

The LA/Detroit series in 2004 wasn't lost because of Kobe's selfish play, it was lost because Larry Brown disconnected the passing lanes between Bryant and Shaq.  Therefore, entry passes could not be made into Shaq BY Kobe...and that's why Phil Jackson had to depend on Luke Walton, which Detroit was obviously happy about.  Gary Payton averaged just 4 PPG that series, and Malone was irrelevant as well (and injured), averaging just five, because Detroit was smart enough to know that Ben Wallace was able to hold his own against Shaq down low, with minimal help from Sheed or a perimeter defender, and that Prince, Rip and Billups could all shut down Kobe Bryant, collectively, and cut the head off of the snake of the offense.

It's mind-blowing that people do not give credit to the Pistons squad for what they did, and instead, focus on this ridiculous idea that Kobe suddenly became the most selfish player in the NBA that series...despite taking six less shots a night and averaging 24 PPG that year (to make room for Malone and GP).  But, of course, that's the easy route.

#49 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,524 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:06 AM

this is the same guy who wore a t shirt of a picture I photoshopped years ago with Kobe crossing Jordan over, at a Lakers game courtside cheering like a school girl for Kobe while still being a small percentage owner of the Bobcats.

I have the clip on my old compu at my parents house, I found it in the highlights and got one of the Lakers highlight video dudes to cut it for me. It might have been LD2K if im not mistaken.

anyways, the dude cheers for anyone. And the only reason hes on ESPN is to try and stay relevant because his rap career isnt.

only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#50 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:41 AM

And how are you not speculating? Do u kno shaq personally? Did they not get along while they were teammates? Do u not remember that?
Ur basing it off kobe can play in any system and he gave me the ball alot? Wow

I am not speculating because I'm going off of what Shaq said. You're speculating because you're going off of what you "think" is really going on. See the difference? 

#51 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Who cares what nelly thinks he didn't play with Kobe they .. think they know him but they really don't . Only his teammates know him and they never talk bad about him (expect Dwight ) . Kobe will show us again why he is the best #dontdoubtmamba

#52 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,726 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:00 PM

"why can't it be he doesn't want to play with kobe"

Why can't it be Dwight Howard himself isn't a good teammate? why the hell is dwight so coveted when he hasnt won anything for 10 years

ap1.png

#53 Mehran The Great

Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,775 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted July 17, 2013 - 04:04 PM

I feel good reading all these comments.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

• 40,556 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 04:13 PM

Detroit was smart enough to know that Ben Wallace was able to hold his own against Shaq down low, with minimal help from Sheed or a perimeter defender,

Also can't forget how much flopping there was in that series, especially from Big Bad Ben Wallace on Shaq. It was disgusting how things were officiated.

yo.

#55 Mehran The Great

Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,775 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted July 17, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Detroit was one of the best defensive team.. all time. 

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#56 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 17, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Also can't forget how much flopping there was in that series, especially from Big Bad Ben Wallace on Shaq. It was disgusting how things were officiated.

But smart, because it helped preserve energy.  Shaq was a huge issue for many players down low, but Big Ben just needed the stamina...and he got it by playing smart.  He matched Shaq in strength, and was more athletic...to the point where he out-rebounded O'Neal in the series, I believe, which was outstanding.

#57 Jee

Jee

♚ ROOKIE ©

• 579 posts
  • Name:Jee
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:ANY WHO PLAYS HERE

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Here is Kevin Hart take on his friend Dwight Howard and Kobe. 

Kevin Hart dissing Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless LOL.

#58 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Where's KRS-ONE when you need him...

he is flying over the heads of people that listen to ©rappers like nelly. who cares what this guy has to say, i forgot he was alive years ago.
Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#59 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

O' Canada!

• 1,304 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted July 18, 2013 - 07:47 AM

I think Kobe stepped on Nelly's Js.

#60 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,290 posts