Photo

CDR talks about Kobe mentoring him, his own ankle injury, and Kobe being ahead of schedule

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Jee

Jee

♚ ROOKIE ©

• 579 posts
  • Name:Jee
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:ANY WHO PLAYS HERE

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Lakers.com just did an hour long podcast interview with CDR on his upbringing and in a candid interview....

Never seen them do this for a guy on the summer league.  The Lakers obviously want this guy to make it for them

Mike Trudell had an interview with him last year during pre-season here Title Getting to know CDR http://www.nba.com/l.../121018_cdr1on1 nothing is gurantee but his odds is greater than ever. The fact that he stated he wants to contribute anyway they need him is great. Showing that he understands nash, kobe, gasol will do majority of scoring and he will play his role at the same time score if needed.

Kobe went to media and spoke highly of me. Everyday I played well and practiced well. Kobe continued to mentor me along the way. The Laker fans embraced me.My motto is “control what you can control" and I did that. That didn’t matter though. Once it got released that the Lakers let me go, the people thought it was due to my game. People had jokes. People wrote me off. It was embarrassing. However, I took positives away from my month with the Lakers too. I developed a relationship with Kobe Bryant. He showed me how to be a pro. He showed me real work ethic. Playing against him everyday made me so much of a better player. He understood me. He understood that its a difference in having a bad attitude and being competitive and wanting to win every drill/game. One night after a game and we were in the showers and he told me “you have no other choice. You were put here to be basketball player. You have to fight until you’re one of them boys. You’re too talented. I played behind mfers that I was better than up until my third year but I KNEW I would be who I am today then. I work too hard not to break through." That stuck with me. LINK TO THIS INTERVIEW http://humble-flashy...y-i-believe-the

Hope Lakers sign him

Edited by Jee, July 17, 2013 - 09:09 PM.

• 39,233 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Kobe's advice was beyond awesome. This part stuck out to me especially though:

I played behind mfers that I was better than up until my third year but I KNEW I would be who I am today then.

Lol, gotta' love Kobe. He's just as cold blooded as it gets when it comes to the game. Wonder who some of those MFer teammates of his were he's referring to, lol.

yo.

#43 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,759 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:11 PM

One very telling thing from CDR in that hour long podcast

CDR: I know people expected me to go out there and score 30.  I know, I follow twitter and the internet, I know what they expected. I'm the guy that was in camp last year I'm the guy Kobe backed, I'm the guy that scored this and that.  But I have to approach this situation differently.  If I make this team It's going to be as a roleplayer and getting my teammates involved and if you look at the system and the kind of player I am, D'antoni isn't gonna pull me to the side during a game and say "CDR go score 30". That's not gonna be my role on this team if I make it, so I have to play what my role.   Some people come out to the summer league and really don't know what their role is, so they go for what they know, and usually what they know is "score" but I've learned that being a roleplayer can be very important in this league.  At the end of the day you need to be realistic, with yourself especially.  I understand what my role would be on this team so I go out there and try to do that. I sprained my ankle in that first game and was like "man, really?? Now!?"  And I played through it in the second game in a lot of pain but I don't believe in sitting out as long as I can run.   But it got better in the third game and I'm fine now."

Like the mentality.   He understands why he'd make the team, it wouldn't be because he scores 30, it would be because he fits the role they'd need him in so that's what he's doing.   He also said that he was getting compliments from people after last game saying they didn't know he could see the floor and pass like this but all he was thinking about was the 2 turnovers he had.(sound familiar?) .

He also talks about being there for his teammates on the summer league roster and never let them being down during sad moments where they feel they blew something.  Saying when he sees someone even hold their head down he takes it upon himself to be there for him and be a good teammate even in summer league cause he's been there.   Also talks about his children, his friendship with Derrick Rose and how he's been treated, and how to deal with scrutiny etc.

he also talks about what ultimate failure would mean for him and what his fear would be at that.

It's a very very good podcast, I really recommend anyone to go listen to it.

Edited by Majesty, July 17, 2013 - 11:44 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#44 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:11 AM

This is his year. We would be drastically improving our 3 rotation from last season if for no other reason than because he'd be Ebank's replacement and he would actually get minutes for putting in work. 

#45 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,951 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:42 AM

Ill take the players perspective over your assumptions

Your guys's use of "mentor" was not the right use. You guys make it sound like Kobe is going to help people "slow down their game"

When CDR says Kobe "mentors" him. He says it as he learns about the mindset he plays with. Not helping him improve his actual game as in dribbling, shooting, passing, where to look on the court, and other things on the court. I even said myself that Kobe tells these guys how his mind works when he plays and how he wants to kill his opposition every night.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

• 39,233 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Now, the 26-year-old is back with the Lakers, playing with their NBA Summer League team in Las Vegas. He’ll likely attend training camp with L.A. and have another shot at making their regular season roster. “I think they’re interested,” Douglas-Roberts said of the Lakers. “They were interested last year, but things happen. It was a numbers game, which I fully understand. But I definitely think this is good a fit and it’s why I’m back this summer. “I’ve gotten great feedback. We had a great week of work and practice. We were doing two-a-days for four days straight. I feel like I practiced well, making guys better and getting guys involved. So far, I haven’t gotten anything but positive feedback.” HoopsWorld

yo.

#47 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,759 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 20, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Lakers news: Chris Douglas-Roberts likely to receive Lakers training camp invite, according to report

20121010_ajl_aj4_473.0_standard_709.0.jp

The Lakers are expected to extend a second training camp invite to Chris Douglas-Roberts.

The Los Angeles Lakers are expected to invite Chris Douglas-Roberts to training camp, according to Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD. Douglas-Roberts is currently playing on the Lakers' Las Vegas Summer League team, and if invited, would make his second straight Lakers training camp.

Douglas-Roberts was cut from the Lakers during pre-season and spent the remainder of the 2012-2013 season playing with the Dallas Mavericks or in the D-League with the Texas Legends.

More here: http://www.silverscr...ing-camp-invite

Edited by Majesty, July 20, 2013 - 09:27 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#48 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,431 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 20, 2013 - 10:07 PM

I hope he makes it but he probably won't even get playing time even if he did.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users