Photo

CDR talks about Kobe mentoring him, his own ankle injury, and Kobe being ahead of schedule

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted July 16, 2013 - 11:50 PM

^im not even gonna waste my time and read that long ass post. No point in arguing with you. Don't care anymore.

#22 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,336 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 16, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Do you have proof that he helped Morris and g-lock and all these [expletive] players with their games? And if he did, it obviously didnt do anything because all those guys are still [expletive]. This all started when you tried to sell the fact that one of the big reasons melo would come here is because he would want to be mentored by Kobe, do you still stand by that?

So because kobe mentors someone does that mean kobe is going to be able to transcend his skills to that player? No, of course not. Just because kobe gives some insight on how to improve there game doesn't mean they are going to apply it fully. If that was the case... there would be a lot of Hakeem's, Jordan's, Bryants, etc out there.

ap1.png

#23 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:11 AM

So because kobe mentors someone does that mean kobe is going to be able to transcend his skills to that player? No, of course not. Just because kobe gives some insight on how to improve there game doesn't mean they are going to apply it fully. If that was the case... there would be a lot of Hakeem's, Jordan's, Bryants, etc out there.

I know that. I'm notdisagreeing with you. But some people on this site believe that kobes mentoring is a factor in melo coming to LA. Or a factor in why they believe nick young will flourish under kobes mentoring.

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,611 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:28 AM

^im not even gonna waste my time and read that long ass post. No point in arguing with you. Don't care anymore.

Way to tap out as always :)

Have a nice night.

Edited by Majesty, July 17, 2013 - 12:28 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#25 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:34 AM

Way to tap out as always :)

Have a nice night.

Mature bro, real mature. It's the Internet, act as bad as u want.

#26 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:37 AM

I could go on and post a response but what's the point? Give me a reason for me to post a response? It's illogical for me to continue to argue with someone that strokes their ego on me arguing with them, why would I feed into that anymore? And your little emoticons make you look like a teenage girl.

#27 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,823 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2013 - 04:02 AM

Your guys's use of "mentor" was not the right use. You guys make it sound like Kobe is going to help people "slow down their game"

When CDR says Kobe "mentors" him. He says it as he learns about the mindset he plays with. Not helping him improve his actual game as in dribbling, shooting, passing, where to look on the court, and other things on the court. I even said myself that Kobe tells these guys how his mind works when he plays and how he wants to kill his opposition every night.

Yeah, that's not Kobe's job. That's why they hire professional trainers and coaches to work with them during the summers. At the NBA level, these guys are already good enough to play basketball, but they might not have the mental focus yet. That's where veteran players step in and help them out. He can't teach them how to play basketball, only guide them along the way. That's mentorship. Byron Scott took Kobe under his wing during his rookie year and helped him get acclimated while still a teenager, David Robinson helped ease Tim Duncan onto the Spurs, Moses Malone showed Charles Barkley how to adapt to the NBA and keep his weight down, etc. There's more to being a mentor than just helping a guy to improve their basketball skills.

By asserting that Kobe isn't a mentor, by some specific qualifier, it's actually your definition of the term that's wrong in this case. That's too limited a look at being a mentor to another player.

#28 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, that's not Kobe's job. That's why they hire professional trainers and coaches to work with them during the summers. At the NBA level, these guys are already good enough to play basketball, but they might not have the mental focus yet. That's where veteran players step in and help them out. He can't teach them how to play basketball, only guide them along the way. That's mentorship. Byron Scott took Kobe under his wing during his rookie year and helped him get acclimated while still a teenager, David Robinson helped ease Tim Duncan onto the Spurs, Moses Malone showed Charles Barkley how to adapt to the NBA and keep his weight down, etc. There's more to being a mentor than just helping a guy to improve their basketball skills.

By asserting that Kobe isn't a mentor, by some specific qualifier, it's actually your definition of the term that's wrong in this case. That's too limited a look at being a mentor to another player.

Yep, I've said that Kobe helps players with the mental part, not the on court play part. But people on this forum believe Kobe mentors players with on the court stuff like the stuff you highlighted.

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,611 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Lakers.com just did an hour long podcast interview with CDR on his upbringing and in a candid interview....

Never seen them do this for a guy on the summer league.  The Lakers obviously want this guy to make it for them

Summer Pod: Chris Douglas-Roberts

top_130717cdr670.jpg

Chris Douglas-Roberts is fighting for his NBA life.

A college star for three years at Memphis, CDR fell to No. 40 overall in the 2008 Draft (New Jersey). Despite some real success when getting minutes in his second season (as many as 17.3 ppg in Nov. of 2009), Douglas-Roberts played sparingly in 2010-11 before signing in Italy during the lockout. Last season, he got only a 10-game contract with Dallas after being the last cut at Lakers training camp.

Douglas-Roberts played very well in that camp, earning fans in the front office and in Kobe Bryant, but by being that final cut, wound up in the D–League. It was difficult moment for CDR, a competitor who considers anything but playing in the NBA to be a personal failure to him and, by extension, to his community.

Now playing for L.A.'s Summer League squad in Las Vegas, CDR opened up in an hour-long podcast explaining what it's like trying to hold onto his lifelong dream.

To listen, click play:

http://www.nba.com/l...17summerpod_cdr

Enjoy

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#30 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:29 PM

It's funny how some people can call Brandon Jennings or Pau Gasol trash, but then want CDR on the team SO bad.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, July 17, 2013 - 01:30 PM.

• 40,450 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:58 PM

^ That's a tad different though. People have higher expectations for players like Jennings & Pau. They're supposed to be closer to all-star or superstar level potentially and sadly they seem to disappoint in too many areas and too often so for the more that's expected of them it makes it somewhat fairer to criticize them.

CDR on the other hand can be a solid role player at best or like a third or fourth option max potentially.

yo.

#32 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 02:01 PM

If CDR is so good and so wanted by the lakers, he would have been signed by now.

#33 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,545 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 17, 2013 - 02:07 PM

It's funny how some people can call Brandon Jennings or Pau Gasol trash, but then want CDR on the team SO bad.

Pau Gasol is making 20mil a year and is supposed to be a 2nd option.

CDR would make 2-3 mil a yer and would be a role player.

Great comparison......:facepalm:

#34 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Pau Gasol is making 20mil a year and is supposed to be a 2nd option.

CDR would make 2-3 mil a yer and would be a role player.

Great comparison......:facepalm:

What about Jennings? He's making less than 3mil. They call him trash, yet they go crazy everytime CDR makes a free throw.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, July 17, 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#35 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:05 PM

I could go on and post a response but what's the point? Give me a reason for me to post a response? It's illogical for me to continue to argue with someone that strokes their ego on me arguing with them, why would I feed into that anymore? And your little emoticons make you look like a teenage girl.

Calling out someone's maturity then immediately name calling using the words "teenage girl".

Interesting.

#36 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Calling out someone's maturity then immediately name calling using the words "teenage girl".

Interesting.

Didnt name call. Said the way he uses emoticons makes him look like a teenage girl. Didnt call him a teenage girl.

#37 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Didnt name call. Said the way he uses emoticons makes him look like a teenage girl. Didnt call him a teenage girl.

Oh okay.

Your posts make you look like a [expletive].

Carry on.

#38 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Oh okay.

Your posts make you look like a [expletive].

Carry on.

Carry on with what? You brought it up.

#39 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Carry on with what? You brought it up.

I'll make it simple for you. Put people you don't want to read posts from on ignore and do not take shots at other members.

You've been warned already from myself and Real Deal about name calling and calling members out.

Now back to the topic at hand. Nothing else needs to be said about this.

#40 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,545 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:57 PM

What about Jennings? He's making less than 3mil. They call him trash, yet they go crazy everytime CDR makes a free throw.

Yea I'll agree right there. Thats not trash. I would take Jennings for 3mil easily but the guy is trying to get 12m a year. Not worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users