Photo

CDR talks about Kobe mentoring him, his own ankle injury, and Kobe being ahead of schedule

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,602 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Good read

Lakers Summer League: Chris Douglas-Roberts trying to earn spot on Lakers

20121228_kdl_an4_015.0_standard_709.0.jp

LAS VEGAS -- This isn't Chris Douglas-Roberts' first time trying to earn his way onto the Los Angeles Lakers' roster. He made it as far as the Lakers' preseason roster last summer but ultimately did not make the team. He would go on to sign with the Dallas Mavericks, where he played only six games for a total of 63 minutes.

He still talks to Kobe Bryant though, who he spoke glowingly of after the Lakers 77-65 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers Monday. You could hear a flicker of excitement when he spoke of the Lakers' superstar.

"I talked to Kobe when I was in L.A. Kobe is great to me. He's a great mentor. He told me he's three months ahead of schedule, which is very Kobe-like. The biggest thing I get from Kobe is honesty. I really respect that, and he respects that from me," Douglas-Roberts told media when asked if he is still in contact with Bryant.

The Lakers are rekindling their relationship with Douglas-Roberts this summer. He's one of the "marquee" players on the roster, aside from Robert Sacre and Lazar Hayward.

His first two games were forgettable for Douglas-Roberts, who tweaked his ankle in the first game of the circuit.

"I had a slow start. A very slow start. Unfortunately, I kinda sprained my ankle in the first game and the second game I was feeling it. It was still sore. I had a great day off and we had great treatment. I feel good out there," he said regarding his disappointing start to summer league.

Douglas-Roberts finished the Lakers' game on Monday with 12 points on three-of-five shooting, four assists and two rebounds. He was noticeably asserting himself and stood out from the crowd for the first time this summer.

Read more in the link below, where he covers helping out the other summer leaguers, looking out for them and having to play point-forward.
Read More Here: http://www.silverscr...-angeles-lakers

But but but... I thought Kobe didn't mentor people? O_O

Anyway, good for you CDR, hope you make it on the Lakers this year :)

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,431 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:52 PM

But but but... I thought Kobe didn't mentor people? O_O

If anything, Wesley Johnson mentored Kobe.

yo.

#3 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted July 16, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hope this guy makes the roster, he would be our wing back up, plus, it helps that he's willing to put it down for Kobe, that respects him

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hope this guy makes the roster, he would be our wing back up, plus, it helps that he's willing to put it down for Kobe, that respects him

He pretty much would be a guy that wouldn't play outside of the system, could stretch the floor occasionally and can find teammates for open shots.

he may have scored 30 twice, in youtube highlights but that's not the kind of player he is.  He's the kind of player that looks for his teammates and seldom deviates from the system to selfishly create for himself, he creates for himself if the defense gives him an opening but more often than not he's looking for teammates or off ball looking for a way to get open on a cut or on a screen and pop, drawing fouls or driving and dishing.

That's the kind of player he is, he won't net us 30 a night but he would be a good back up to Johnson and someone that Nash, Kobe, Gasol and Blake could really play well with that he could play off of extremely well and ultimately that's what we need for the backup wing 3.   I'd be perfectly fine with him scoring 8/5/4 off the bench for us with the occasional 10-15+ point game once in a blue moon if the defense is open.

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#5 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Where's MrKnowItAll aka mitser (Kobe doesn't mentor anyone).

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#6 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Your guys's use of "mentor" was not the right use. You guys make it sound like Kobe is going to help people "slow down their game"

When CDR says Kobe "mentors" him. He says it as he learns about the mindset he plays with. Not helping him improve his actual game as in dribbling, shooting, passing, where to look on the court, and other things on the court. I even said myself that Kobe tells these guys how his mind works when he plays and how he wants to kill his opposition every night.

#7 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,544 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 16, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Your guys's use of "mentor" was not the right use. You guys make it sound like Kobe is going to help people "slow down their game"

When CDR says Kobe "mentors" him. He says it as he learns about the mindset he plays with. Not helping him improve his actual game as in dribbling, shooting, passing, where to look on the court, and other things on the court. I even said myself that Kobe tells these guys how his mind works when he plays and how he wants to kill his opposition every night.

and you know this how?

#8 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 07:58 PM

and you know this how?

And how do you know he does?

• 40,431 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 07:59 PM

and you know this how?

Because he's MrKnowItAll. Duh.

yo.

#10 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,544 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:42 PM

And how do you know he does?

because iv'e seen videos of him mentoring players during practice.

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Not to mention calling Wesley Johnson on a game by game basis and telling him the things he'd like him to work on or do more of.

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Kobe not 3 months ahead of schedule per Trudell

• 40,431 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:57 PM

^ and Broussard, but I'll still take Kobe's word. I just can't doubt that man.

yo.

#14 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Again, I don't think you understand the way the they are using the word "mentor"
You think he's helping them on their on court game and their skills. Idk why it's such a big deal to you to prove that he mentors people, he doesn't, Kobe is not a trainer, get over it.

• 40,431 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Idk why it's such a big deal to you to prove that he mentors people, he doesn't, Kobe is not a trainer, get over it.

But I thought you were MrKnowItAll?

yo.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 09:56 PM

You think he's helping them on their on court game and their skills.

Cause he is, Wesley Johnson is someone he actually worked with in the summer with on his game and calls after games to tell him the things he needs to work on on a game by game basis, Martell Webster as well is someone he does this with, but he couldn't work with him this year due to injury.   He also mentors Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock before he got cut, as in he worked with them on their games.

Steve Nash also took Morris under his wing to teach him aspects of the point guards game and taught him drills that would make him better in certain areas throughout the year. 

So if working on their game and helping them improve it is what "mentoring" means to you, then Kobe is a mentor, not only that but so was Steve Nash to Morris as well as Blake.

Idk why it's such a big deal to you to prove that he mentors people, he doesn't, Kobe is not a trainer, get over it.

Mentor doesn't mean trainer. 

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#17 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 10:18 PM

Cause he is, Wesley Johnson is someone he actually worked with in the summer with on his game and calls after games to tell him the things he needs to work on on a game by game basis, Martell Webster as well is someone he does this with, but he couldn't work with him this year due to injury. He also mentors Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock before he got cut, as in he worked with them on their games.

Steve Nash also took Morris under his wing to teach him aspects of the point guards game and taught him drills that would make him better in certain areas throughout the year.

So if working on their game and helping them improve it is what "mentoring" means to you, then Kobe is a mentor, not only that but so was Steve Nash to Morris as well as Blake.

Mentor doesn't mean trainer.

Do you have proof that he helped Morris and g-lock and all these [expletive] players with their games? And if he did, it obviously didnt do anything because all those guys are still [expletive]. This all started when you tried to sell the fact that one of the big reasons melo would come here is because he would want to be mentored by Kobe, do you still stand by that?

#18 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Let me ask you this, if Kobe is really "mentoring" CDR with his on court game like you say he is, how? Kobe is injured. CDR s in the summer league, CDR only played with Kobe for like half a training camp. If CDR says kobe's "mentoring" him, it obviously isn't on the court like you think it is, end of discussion. Why do you always have to try and prove yourself right even when you know your wrong? Just accept it and move on, it's like you have some kind of agenda do disprove everything someone says on this site that doesn't go with what you say.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, July 16, 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#19 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 16, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Kobe being 3 months ahead of schedule...Dwight being only 70 percent last season...50/50 chance LeBron comes to the Lakers next season...is anybody else sick of all these arbitrary numbers coming out of the media lately? 

Who does the math for all these? 

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Let me ask you this, if Kobe is really "mentoring" CDR with his on court game like you say he is, how? Kobe is injured. CDR s in the summer league, CDR only played with Kobe for like half a training camp. If CDR says kobe's "mentoring" him, it obviously isn't on the court like you think it is, end of discussion. Why do you always have to try and prove yourself right even when you know your wrong? Just accept it and move on, it's like you have some kind of agenda do disprove everything someone says on this site that doesn't go with what you say.

Kobe mentored him through summer camp last year and kept in contact with him during the season telling him aspects of his game to work on last year.

And yes there is proof Morris and Goudelock were mentored by Kobe, Morris has talked about constantly how Kobe has helped him work on aspects of his game and also been there for him off the court, he also tells the story about how he and Kobe were assigned seats next to each other on the plane and how they became close, he calls Kobe his big brother and talks multiple times on the advice kobe has given him on and off the court and how he's helped him with aspects of his game from his rookie season onward.

Kobe did the same with Goudelock who again has cited saying how many times Kobe worked with and helped him on his game, his nicknames the Mini Mamba for crying out loud :smh:

Wesley Johnson has gone on record saying he's worked with Kobe during the summers on his game and calls him after games to tell him advice on things he could fix the next time they go out there and how them having the same agent means Kobe has easy access to him whenever he wants to work with him.

CDR talked multiple times about how Kobe worked with him especially during camp last season with a few things and Kobe even SAID to reporters that the reason he helps and mentors CDR on his game is because of his hard work and his determination.  Kobe called it a "consequence" of having that kind of mentality and being around him ;)   

Martell Webster has also gone on record saying Kobe has helped him and mentored him as far back as 2008 when he asked him to be his summer workout companion that year when he(Kobe) went to the Olympics he worked with Webster upon returning.    So there's that too.

So if you're so intent on proving Kobe didn't mentor these guys how come I can bring up all this yet you can't bring up a darn thing showing Kobe didn't mentor these guys aside from your own opinion about what the 'definition' of mentor is? 

Did Kareem mentor Bynum?  Did Hakeem mentor Dwight? 

If your answer is yes to both of those questions then you'll have to admit that Kobe mentored these guys as well cause he helped them all on their game and in the case of Morris and Goudelock did so throughout the entire season, and in terms of Wesley Johnson did it on the summers as well as contacting him via phone after games to tell him what to work on. 

If that's not mentoring I dunno what different definition you'll come up with.   But "trainer" ain't it.    I'd love to see what you call Kobe calling Wesley game after game telling him what he needs to work on as far as his game goes and what he needs to do more of as well as working with him during the summer on those things.  What do you call that MrKnowitAll?

Oh and as far as Melo goes he's also gone on record saying that Kobe has mentored him as well as been there for him during the rough times as well as being there for him when he was trying to change aspects of his game to fit what people had been saying.

They ALSO spent time together working on their individual games to formulate how they'd play if they were on the same team, as Carmelo said Kobe and him made it their goal prior to the 2008 Olympics to prove to everyone they could play together and Kobe has said way back in 2011 that Carmelo should be used as a Power forward.  An aspect the New York Knicks obviously haven't grasped yet.  Carmelo ALSO considers Kobe an older brother and even tries to do the "kobe face" when he makes a decisive shot.    Carmelo also has a house in Los Angeles and can see Kobe during the summers he doesn't spend time in New York.

Mentor can be both physical and non physical.

If a guy calls me after every NBA game and tells me "I notice you've been doing this.. you may need to work on this more. But you do this well so work on that" and then I go out in the summer and go work with them on those things, he's my mentor.    If on a team full of vets he takes me under his wing and teaches me how to improve aspects of my game my rookie and 2nd year and helps me both on and off the court he's my mentor.   I dunno what you define it as.  It seems you believe cause Kobe isn't a trainer he can't be a mentor.

Well....

Can't you just admit you were wrong and had no idea he'd actually mentored them?  It's alright

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2013 - 10:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users