• 40,365 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:57 PM

yo.

#2 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,024 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to be an attorney to be a sports agent?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#3 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Jay himself admitted it wasn't a "money move"

#4 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,766 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to be an attorney to be a sports agent?

Nope, players have been their own agent before.

It would be wise to get an agent that has a  law background at the very least though.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#5 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,873 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Players signing with Jay-Z cause it's the "cool" thing to do haha.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#6 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,844 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted July 15, 2013 - 09:04 PM

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,475 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 15, 2013 - 09:07 PM

An agent is someone you have to get you the most money with your contracts, deal with your legal stuff, and negotiate for you. I can't see how Jay Z is qualified to do that. Having a ton of money doesn't make you qualified to become an agent. 

All these players signing with him are going to fin out very quickly how dumb it was to sign with a cool agent rather than the agent who can do there job. 

#8 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:19 AM

An agent is someone you have to get you the most money with your contracts, deal with your legal stuff, and negotiate for you. I can't see how Jay Z is qualified to do that. Having a ton of money doesn't make you qualified to become an agent. 

All these players signing with him are going to fin out very quickly how dumb it was to sign with a cool agent rather than the agent who can do there job. 

I think people is overstating a fact here, Jay-Z "per se" is not a sport agent, Jay-Z OWNS a Sports Agency, I'm pretty sure his staff is stacked up with lawyers and real sport agents that work FOR the agency. Jay-Z is not going to sit on the Jets' table and demand more money for Geno Smith, the agency's name is Roc Nation, Jay-Z just owns it. He has people working for him

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,310 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:27 AM

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

#10 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,766 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:04 PM

I think people is overstating a fact here, Jay-Z "per se" is not a sport agent, Jay-Z OWNS a Sports Agency, I'm pretty sure his staff is stacked up with lawyers and real sport agents that work FOR the agency. Jay-Z is not going to sit on the Jets' table and demand more money for Geno Smith, the agency's name is Roc Nation, Jay-Z just owns it. He has people working for him

This. Jay z isnt gonna be the one in the rooms negotiating with teams to get the players the most money, he is just putting his name on the sports agency giving it a brand and getting paid for using his name.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#11 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,310 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Imho anything hip hop should be distanced as far as possible from professional sports.

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 26, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Imho anything hip hop should be distanced as far as possible from professional sports.

why?

Jay-Z made a good point in a recent interview when he said pro Athletes and rappers were "cousins".

A lot of these black kids in particular come from the same stories, the same neighborhood, the same shared struggle. If anything he makes great points about how he has learned that fame= money, so even these guys who have made bad decisions should not be BROKE and in as much financial despair as you see from so many pro athletes from background where they have no economic experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users