Photo

Dwight Howard: "Even if I don't win a ring, I'm still a winner"

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 15, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Sums up who he is pretty perfectly... why him and Kobe constantly butted heads, and why he was never cut out to be a Laker anyway.

The minute someone utters the words "I don't need a ring to be considered a winner" and "not having a ring won't define who Dwight Howard is"  those are the words of a loser, I'm sorry to say. 

he is entitled to his opinion and what he thinks a winner is. 

But to me if you just signed this guy as your FRANCHISE player, the guy that along with Harden is supposed to get you to the promise land and he SITS THERE and says that winning a ring doesn't matter in the grand scheme of how he considers his career..... then you're screwed.  Bottom line. 

Ice Cube said it best, his jersey didn't deserve to hang up in those rafters, and I think deep down inside, he knew that too.   He knew he'd never live up to the names in the rafters, he knew he would never TAKE this team from Kobe and that if Carmelo or LeBron came in 2014 that he'd never take the team from them either.  

He knew if the Rockets went after Rondo and got rid of Lin that he wouldn't be able to take the Rockets from Rondo and Rondo demands to win.

He doesn't want ANY teammate that demands winning, or ANY teammate who is a better "leader" than he is.

He wants to be the franchise player, be considered the leader of a franchise, and get all the notoriety and fame that comes with it...without "has to win a championship" at the end of it, cause at the end of the day he doesn't care whether he wins a championship or not because he's already content with where he is and if you are bringing this guy in as your franchise player for fans that expect a ring especially with the expectations, and you crapped away all your CBA cap space to sign him.. you realize after that statement...that you just made a big BIG mistake. 

So winning a ring means nothing?   Right that's why you unfollowed Real Deal on twitter when he told you that you'd never win one.

You're not a "winner" and never will be.   You may have lead a team to the finals and have so much freaking potential but it seems that's where you wanted to stop at and that's why you'll never win one.

You may want to win from a competitive standpoint.. but at the end of the day it's not the be all and end all for him so he'll never have that "extra gear" to dig deep when the going gets tough.

That's why you'll never be a franchise player that will lead your team to a championship, he has franchise talent, but not franchise mentality and it doesn't seem like that is gonna change.

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2013 - 03:46 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,085 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Anyone who thinks that winning gold gives them the excuse to not work toward a ring, is a loser. It's that simple.

I largely see basketball as an analogy for the work life of any sort.

You don't win once and then just give up after your promotion.

You always continue to work your hardest to earn what is yours. Hand outs are cop outs.

Edited by -Wade-, July 15, 2013 - 03:47 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#3 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Must of been hard to win a gold medal with Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Deron Williams, Dwyane Wade, Michael Redd, Jason Kidd, Tayshaun Prince, and Chris Paul on your team versus weak international competition.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Must of been hard to win a gold medal with Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Deron Williams, Dwyane Wade, Michael Redd, Jason Kidd, Tayshaun Prince, and Chris Paul on your team versus weak international competition.

Who was it that won them that final game again?

Sad thing is, he could have had all this.....

Carmelo off ball to Kobe Bryant with him in the middle...

Shame shame shame.

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#5 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:01 PM

If his definition of being a winner is being in the NBA longer than average, I'm sure he feels better and better each year he's in the league. This is the guy that was given everything growing up, coddled like a baby and given millions. I'm looking forward to seeing him fail in Houston. He wants to be the alpha dog, but he doesn't want to work for anything.

#6 Rad

Rad

• 1,644 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Dwight is beyond a hypocrite and largely delusional. Contrary to as much as he likes to say, I had a feeling it was never about 'winning rings' for him, he's more content to be paid big and play comfortably with no expectations. Nothing more to be said.

Edited by Rad, July 15, 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#7 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,637 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:09 PM

majesty stop dude, you were one among many "screaming" reasons why howard should stay, he was tailored to be a laker and other such nonsense.

now you have changed completly, hes gone, never liked here in the first place, we already knew that, but you expected more, now deal with it, and hope for a strong FA in 2014.

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#8 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Kevin Hart said it better than I'll ever be able to, "Everybody wanna be famous, nobody wanna put the work in"

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:20 PM

majesty stop dude, you were one among many "screaming" reasons why howard should stay, he was tailored to be a laker and other such nonsense.

now you have changed completly, hes gone, never liked here in the first place, we already knew that, but you expected more, now deal with it, and hope for a strong FA in 2014.

Please find where I said Dwight was tailored to be a Laker.  

Stop fabricating things.  

It was smarter for him to stay when you consider the kind of team Houston would have and I figured he'd be smarter than to go to a team that's in CBA hell and has no chance of deepening their bench where he'd have to play 48 mins a night just to keep them competitive.

But I wasn't screaming how he was tailored to be a Laker.    I did however give him credit for leading a team to the finals and said he needed to learn how to win and make better decisions.   But I acknowledge here that if he REALLY feels the way he said, that's where it will stop and I acknowledged freely that he's the best center in the game and that whether or not we win within the next 5 years would be determined on him staying otherwise it's gonna be a rough ROUGH road. 

I stand by those statements and still think he's the best center in the game, but that doesn't stop me from criticizing the way he's deciding to approach things which I'm free to do.

Maybe "you" should just stop. 

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#10 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 15, 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't really ever defend Lebron on anything because unlike most, he came to the NBA he was given everything and was unproven obviously. But if he were to make statement like before before he finally won, the entire sports world would've torn him up. If you're 'great', you're expected to win it all. As time went on he felt the pressure and had to leave to win.

Howard making this statement, and the media not really batting an eyelash says alot of how he is perceived. Like Skip said, it just cements the notion that for his talents, his will and drive will never reach that critical level like Kobe or MJ. Howard is a loser for believing he is a winner.

I cannot remember who said it but easily put, there is a clear difference between a franchise player and a max contract player. Kobe and Lebron can lead a franchise to win it all in the right scenario, players like Melo and Howard are so skilled they deserve all the money but they cannot lead a franchise.

#11 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 15, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Isn't this already in the DH thread?

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#12 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 05:39 PM

If he ever wants to be a winner he's going to have to grow up. 

#13 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 05:42 PM

All that talent with a borderline retarded IQ.
iyjywo.jpg

#14 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,085 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 05:46 PM

All that talent with a borderline retarded IQ.

Thanks for the literal "lol." :laughing:

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#15 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 914 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:10 PM

I'm sure Houston would love it if you retired with them without a ring.

#16 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:36 PM

The minute he left LA, I labeled him a loser.

The fact that he said he doesn't mind if he doesn't win this year and is more interested, "in building a dynasty" made me die! He had the perfect opportunity to build possibly one of the most balanced and greatest teams of all time heading into the 2014 free agency with the Lakers and chose not too....

Edited by lakers1o1, July 15, 2013 - 06:58 PM.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:41 PM

The minute he left LA, I labeled him a loser.

The fact that he said he doesn't mind if he doesn't win this year and is more interested, "in building a dynasty" made me die! He had the perfect opportunity to build possibly one of the most balanced and greatest teams of all time heading into the 2014 free agency with the Lakers and chose not too....

yep.  Like I said just watch that Olympics highlight I posted.

Kobe, with Carmelo playing off ball, and Dwight in the middle and see how dominant that worked.

Oh and if not for Stern CP3 as the point guard too. 

That's 4 starting lineup guys from the Olympic squad in 08 on the same team.   Potentially 3 of them on the same team in 2014 and Dwight walked away from it cause he was scared. 

Like I said he doesn't want a guy on his team that's a better leader than him,  That's why he told the Rockets not to go after Rondo cause he'd rather keep Lin there.

That's why he ran when he knew after Kobe that Carmelo would likely be coming here or LeBron and he knew he wasn't gonna take the franchise from them.

Harden is "easier" and isn't as demanding for wins and is much easier in his mind to take a franchise from or "share" it. 

Neither Rondo, Kobe, Carmelo or LeBron would have lost the franchise leadership to Dwight, he just isn't that guy and doesn't want it bad enough so it was never gonna be "his time" in LA and he was always gonna be an accessory to the superstars that come here after Kobe.  Dwight rather than big up himself to that challenge and TAKE that franchise... ran.

So thus, Dwight doesn't want to play with them.

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#18 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,021 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 15, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Cant be a winner if you dont win anything. Silly Dwight.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#19 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,352 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted July 15, 2013 - 08:07 PM

A winner at what exactly?

EyMlHkX.jpg

#20 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,085 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 08:17 PM

A winner at what exactly?

The dunk contest :laughing:

wKNsigp.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users