Photo

Kobe takes note of ESPN predicting Lakers finishing 12th (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#141 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Try to keep up dummy.  Kobe came off a 43% shooting year in 11-12...my god, do you guys even bother to look up numbers and facts before entering an debate?

That was my bad. I thought you said last year, not the year before. 

#142 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,312 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:21 PM

None of that had anything to do with our argument.  He said that the Lakers are consistently underrated.  I posted rankings b/c his comment was in response to us being ranked 12th where ESPN rated us pretty much where we were if not overrated on some years. 

Please pay attn and stop trying to argue with me just to argue.  I don't debate with feelings dog.  You should know that already.  I posted the facts to show him that his comment was fantasy.  You stating that ESPN's opinion shouldnt be respected b/c of Kobe's ranking totally contradicts the fact they were right on others.  So should we scoff at the fact they rated us 1st one year?

Oh I'm not arguing just to argue, I'm stopping you from overrating ESPN's forbearance :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#143 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:22 PM

None of that had anything to do with our argument.  He said that the Lakers are consistently underrated.  I posted rankings b/c his comment was in response to us being ranked 12th where ESPN rated us pretty much where we were if not overrated on some years. 

Please pay attn and stop trying to argue with me just to argue.  I don't debate with feelings dog.  You should know that already.  I posted the facts to show him that his comment was fantasy.  You stating that ESPN's opinion shouldnt be respected b/c of Kobe's ranking totally contradicts the fact they were right on others.  So should we scoff at the fact they rated us 1st one year?

Please. You wear your heart on your sleeves. Also, please tell me how showing me four year sample when we were coming off of championship runs supposed to prove that the Lakers are overrated most of the time? 

#144 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:25 PM

We were ranked 2nd in 2010-2011 because we were coming off a championship

They weren't gonna rank us anywhere else.  That had nothing to do with "intuition"

Where did they have Dallas ranked? 

They ranked us 3rd overall last year because of the lineup we had on paper.

ESPN didn't predict right because of intuition, they ranked us where they ranked us because they felt we were either a championship contender coming off a championship or they saw us as a middle of the pack team.

The fact they'd rank us 12th and are acting like Ibaka Westbrook and Durant are gonna be the best without a bench.  Unless you're gonna overrate Lamb and Jackson.

They have the Rockets ranked 4th with no veteran, with no experience together, after losing Delfino(who was their 2nd best 3 point shooter) among other things.    They have MEMPHIS ahead of the Warriors who just got Igoudala to strengthen their team while Memphis got who? Mike Miller?

They have the Nuggets 7th after they've gotten significantly worse this off-season, lost Iggy, lost their coach, signed a brand new coach, brought in JJ Hickson, Gallo gonna be out for longer than expected apparently.

They have the timberwolves ranked 8th.... 

Yeah I have nothing to say to that.    Oh and they have the 8th seed in the WEST being 40-42...

They also have Dallas, Portland and the PELICANS ahead of the Lakers.... where only the Jazz, Kings and Suns have worse teams...  

Chalk that up with the idiocy of them ranking Kobe the 7th best player in the league. 

How did Denver get significantly worse? They lost their overrated coach that has only gotten them past the 1st round once in the past 8 years. The loss of Iggy doesn't even hurt them that much. They were a middle of the pack team defensively anyway. They gained 2 great players in Hickson and Robinson and an underrated acquisition in Shaw. The Timberwolves were actually a playoff team before injuries and got better this offseason. They ranked Houston so high for the same reason they ranked the Lakers high. They acquired a star free agent to pair up with their budding superstar in Harden. Westbrook, Durant and Ibaka are good enough for a 3 seed just off talent alone. Memphis still has 2 of the best defensive players in the league with Allen and Gasol along with Randolph, Conley and Prince. They'll be fine. 

#145 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 475 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Rockets won't have any problem not having a veteran. Lol. Chemistry will be developed as the season progress.

#146 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,312 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Rockets won't have any problem not having a veteran.

I thought the same thing with the Warriors last year.  Saw how that turned out.   Ask yourself how OKC is doing without veteran leadership.. unless you count Perkins :laughing:   yeah he helped out a lot hasn't he.. 

Although I will say Fisher is a great presence in that locker room if they listen.

The Warriors are also a year older, and more experienced at a high level and added Iggy and are gonna have much more chemistry and experience that the Rockets and even run the style the Rockets want to run BETTER than they do.  And yet ESPN has them ranked behind the Rockets -_-    The Rockets who McHale said he will change the entire offense around to fit what Dwight wants and sell out everyone else... 

We'll see how that goes.  

Edited by Majesty, August 15, 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#147 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:36 PM

I thought the same thing with the Warriors last year.  Saw how that turned out.   Ask yourself how OKC is doing without veteran leadership.. unless you count Perkins :laughing:   yeah he helped out a lot hasn't he..

The Warriors are also a year older, and more experienced at a high level and added Iggy.  And yet ESPN has them ranked behind the Rockets -_-  

It's hard to discount the second coming of "Kobe and Shaq." 

#148 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,312 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:40 PM

It's hard to discount the second coming of "Kobe and Shaq." 

The awesome thing is Shaq and Kobe also had 3 guys that could start on any other team coming off their bench :)     Rick Fox, Robert Horry, Derek Fisher and a great 6th man Brian Shaw.   The Rockets have.....um....

#149 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:47 PM

You're not a true Laker fan when you give up on your team before the season has even begun...

Seriously some of you saying we shouldn't win next season and just tank are beyond annoying, this is why I don't post much in any of the threads anymore. Reading posts about how we should just go for the lottery is blasphemous, I can't believe some of you guys.

Edited by Michaelyumm, August 15, 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#150 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,312 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:48 PM

You're not a true Laker fan when you give up on your team before the season has even begun...

Seriously some of you saying we shouldn't win next season and just tank are beyond annoying, this is why I don't post much in any of the threads anymore. Reading posts about how we should just go for the lottery is blasphemous, I can't believe some of you guys.

Oh they are just being "real" cause "blind laker fans" are stupid for seeing any potential in our team.  Don't cha know?

#151 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Oh they are just being "real" cause "blind laker fans" are stupid for seeing any potential in our team.  Don't cha know?

I really do believe in this team, in my eyes we improved not much but we did.

#152 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't believe in this team's ability to win a championship for the reasons I've mentioned a thousand times already. However, I don't believe tanking is the right thing to do...not just in basketball but in any sport. Just put Vince McMahon in place of David Stern and you'll get your pathetic tanking wishes.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#153 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 475 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Although I will say Fisher is a great presence in that locker room if they listen.

The Warriors are also a year older, and more experienced at a high level and added Iggy and are gonna have much more chemistry and experience that the Rockets and even run the style the Rockets want to run BETTER than they do.  And yet ESPN has them ranked behind the Rockets -_-    The Rockets who McHale said he will change the entire offense around to fit what Dwight wants and sell out everyone else... 

We'll see how that goes.  

Lol. So you're basically saying that warriors not having a veteran is what made them lose the series against Spurs? OKC didn't have any veteran a year ago but they somehow manage to beat Dallas, Lakers, and Spurs. Base from your logic I shouldn't consider Kobe, Pau, Dirk, Kidd, Duncan, Manu, and Parker a veterans then since they lost to OKC.

Do you really think OKC not being successful this year was because they lack veteran or because they lost westbrook and replaced Harden with Martin?

You're just mad at the Rockets because they have Dwight. Lol.

Edited by BlueJab23, August 15, 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#154 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:06 PM

It isn't nearly annoying as the people that think this team can be higher than a 6th seed and have a shot at the title. It's better to be pessimistic than delusional. There is no such thing as a true Lakers fan and you have no room to say otherwise. Who are you? What makes you so much better than other so called "fake" Lakers fans. I'm dying to hear why..

#155 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:11 PM

It isn't nearly annoying as the people that think this team can be higher than a 6th seed and have a shot at the title. It's better to be pessimistic than delusional. There is no such thing as a true Lakers fan and you have no room to say otherwise. Who are you? What makes you so much better than other so called "fake" Lakers fans. I'm dying to hear why..

I'm Michaelyumm born a Laker fan will die a Laker fan, nice to meet you.

What makes me better as a Laker fan? Well how about this Laron Profit..

Edited by Michaelyumm, August 15, 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#156 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,312 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:12 PM

Lol. So you're basically saying that warriors not having a veteran is what made them lose the series against Spurs? OKC didn't have any veteran a year ago but they somehow manage to beat Dallas, Lakers, and Spurs. Base from your logic I shouldn't consider Kobe, Pau, Dirk, Kidd, Duncan, Manu, and Parker a veterans then since they lost to OKC.

Do you really think OKC not being successful this year was because they lack veteran or because they lost westbrook and replaced Harden with Martin?

You're just mad at the Rockets because they have Dwight. Lol.

Youth and lack of experience.

And Dallas eviscerated their team long before OKC got to them, that plus nearly every game was still close in that series bar the blowout.

The Lakers had a good gameplan they just blew it, but OKC's weaknesses were apparent(till finally exploited by Miami)

OKC beat the Spurs because of two things. 

One: Pop never wants to conform to change his style and will stubbornly do the same thing over and over and over again if it worked once hoping it will again even if it means keeping in players he should bench.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't(evident against the Grizzlies, two years ago, the Thunder last year, and the Heat this year)
Two:  Harden was hitting his wide open shots both Durant and Westbrook set him up for and was an X Factor the Thunder had coming off their bench that they no longer posses and even with him they lost in the finals.

They don't have Harden anymore do they?  They don't have a strong bench anymore or any bench at all now. 

You either need veteran leadership or a strong bench or both and OKC has none of that, they are far weaker than they were 2 years ago, and weaker than they even were last year, thus they've regressed.  They aren't the same team that made it to the finals and are missing a key piece that lead them there by picking Kendrick Perkins over him. 

They could have paid Harden, but they decided to not amnesty Perkins and to let Harden go.  BIG mistake.

And now without Westbrook when before they could call in Harden as the number 2 option behind Durant, they no longer have that and they rode it all the way to a second round loss.    That's the problem when you have no bench, you lose one guy and your entire reality is changed cause you have no viable backup.  Could have been Harden.. but they chose Perkins instead.  They are top heavy with no bottom.

So yeah OKC has regressed a LOT. 

And yes you need veterans.

Just like Miami needed Battier and then this year Ray Allen to win those championships at vital times.
Just as the Lakers needed Robert Horry, Brian Shaw and Derek Fisher coming up big

The Thunder need someone to come up big like that for them.   They had someone like Harden who is not a veteran but he's a starter coming off the bench and was their X Factor, NOT as a main option but as a 2nd option or a 3rd option that could play off of Westbrook and Durant feeding him wide open shots as well as make up for the things Westbrook can't do in terms of trying to run an offense as a second option behind Durant(which Westbrook refuses to do as he MUST be the man).

Kevin Martin ain't that reliable nor as consistent as Harden was coming off the bench being fed by the both of them.

Nope you got Reggie Jackson instead that thinks he's an all-star, rushes shots too much, and at times straight up ignored that Durant was on the floor.   

Then this off-season the Thunder make no moves... they let Martin go.. and sign no one.

And you wonder why Durant was pissed? 

Thunder have regressed, there's no questioning it.

Edited by Majesty, August 15, 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#157 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,053 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:37 PM

So because you know that Laron Profit played for the Lakers that makes you a real fan? FOH!

I'm Michaelyumm born a Laker fan will die a Laker fan, nice to meet you.

What makes me better as a Laker fan? Well how about this Laron Profit..

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#158 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,053 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:40 PM

By delusional fan logic MEM and OKC got worse but didnt lose any of their core players but somehow the Lakers got better because the headache of having D12 is over and we signed some cheap journeymen...got it

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#159 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:45 PM

So because you know that Laron Profit played for the Lakers that makes you a real fan? FOH!

yes

#160 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,053 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:45 PM

No you are just to slow or incompetent to debate the statements you made.  You still haven't answered how the Lakers were IN YOUR WORDS "consistently" underrated.  By whom? What time period? For as far as most guys can remember the Lakers have been serious contenders in the NBA outside of the a few years post Magic/pre Shaq and post Shaq/pre Gasol. 

Please. You wear your heart on your sleeves. Also, please tell me how showing me four year sample when we were coming off of championship runs supposed to prove that the Lakers are overrated most of the time? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users